“Simply Awesome!”

18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Simply Awesome!”
Reviewed November 26, 2012

We regularly scuba dive in Indonesia and Philippines and are very particular about the dive center that we choose. Prior to our trip, I spent a lot of time on Tripadvisor researching dive centers in Moalboal. Emailed numerous ones to ask for quotes and to see how they responded. Roger Carraway of Outer Reef Adventures responded all my emails promptly and gave me all the info I needed and even helped me out with hotel bookings and transportation. He made it so easy. All we had to do was get on the flight and Roger took care of the rest once we got to Cebu. On the day we arrived, he even personally came over to the hotel to greet us and fill us in on the plan for the next few days. That was an excellent touch!

Granted that Roger is a small operator but the way he runs his little operation is what puts him over the top. His service level is excellent and he deserves 5 starts just for that - his wife even baked yummy cakes for us to munch during the surface interval (really delicious cakes, thanks Nemie!), Joan the Dive Master brought hot coffee and let's not forget the awesome mangoes! The boat Captain Mario and Lindon (Lyndon?) were always on hand to help us with our gear in and out of the water. The DM, Joan, was a good spotter and we could see that Roger and Joan did their best to find little critters for us photographers to shoot. Roger and Joan were also very safety conscious and kept an eye on every single diver and checked our air periodically in case we forgot...we tend to forget when shooting photos.

The boat was comfortable enough and is suitable for smaller groups of around 6 and the ladder on this boat is one of the most 'easy-access-ladders' I have ever seen in a dive boat. Thanks Roger for having that fantastic ladder! Also, I must mention that Roger and team took good care of our dive gear during the entire trip and I could see that they were very careful when it came to handling our stuff. They even went to the extent of washing all our gear and bringing the gear back to our hotel room the evening before departure, making it very, very convenient for our group.

I have no regrets diving with Outer Reef Adventures and I would definitely use Roger again if we go back to Moalboal. What can I say - Roger treated us like guests and not customers and that's what put him over the top! Keep up the awesome service, Roger!

2 Thank SharonDCZ
Roger C, Owner at Outer Reef Adventures, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Sharon,
Thank you so much for the nice review.. It was really a pleasure meeting and diving with you guys!!! We are glad that you enjoyed the Oslob Whale Shark tour and hope that you mention it to your Dive Buddies in Kuala Lumpur.
Nemie was so happy that you guys enjoyed the cakes and we are thinking about the possilbility of starting to cateri lunch for groups of 4. It would make thing so convenient....

Shanghai, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Back for more scuba .....”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

The pledge: I have used Roger before, last year (in August 2011) a friend and I used his services to get to Advanced Open Water status, and it was a productive and enjoyable couple of days, some pressure on the course (under-water navigation !) but very focussed and practical with good gear and arrangements. The environment of Moal Boal (actually Panagsama beach, MB is the local town 4km inland) a good backdrop with many good dive sites and a small laid back, tourist-focused strip of bars and restaurants (try Hannah's for the best food).
The turn: so, this time, back for more in 2012, with the challenge in the shape of my Chinese girlfriend for PADI Open Water course. She had less than average swimming experience and one pool-based try dive under her belt and little technical english, but eagerness, and as it turned out - great ability, on her side. Roger was absolutely fantastic, changing gears down to a slower pace to help her, blending swimming, snorkel, pool and open-water elements perfectly. We were incredibly lucky to have Roger as a one-to-one tutor and this especially helped with the technical language barrier. His patience and dedication to his students certainly led to his novice student's confidence gaining incredibly, through to passing the course.
Meanwhile Joanne and his excellent new boat were looking after me on some great "normal" diving.
The prestige: Roger is not just an OW or AOW trainer, he obviously has experience in spades, both below and above the water and I am sure can train in a number of other scuba skills. But, he has that rare ability to make a vacation, constant advice and arrangements, not only whilst in MB but beyond, advising on other places to visit and how to get there. He also enjoys his diving, and this is infectious; all the dives and the whole experience were great fun, but always safe, and in scuba - I cannot think of a better endorsement.

Tim,
I can not tell you how much we enjoyed teaching Martha. I was a bit challenging for her to shift between Chinese and English but she did exceptionally well. Tell her there is not any good diving in Long Island :)
We really appreciate your kind review. We hope that next time you visit the Philippines you will drop by and see us.

Cebu City, Cebu City, Philippines
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“OuterReef Adventures-the key to an awesome dive experience!!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I came to Moalboal to dive and found the best dive company in all my years of diving...Outer Reef Adventures (ORA) was helpful from the time I sent inquiry mail. Owner, Roger Carroway offered assistance with accomodations and gave me the best price for diving and equipment rental I've experienced in my years of Scuba diving.

I was surprised when I arrived and was first fitted for equipment as it was new, very clean and well maintained. This aspect of Outer Reef Adventures extends from the dive equipment to the dive boat and other facilities. All physical aspects are spotlessly clean and well maintained.

Not surprising, the personel are competent and helpful, too. I was treated like a VIP during all my dives by the boat/dive staff. I have rarely encountered such a competent, intelligent and helpful dive master as Joan at ORA!! Naturally her professional functions concerning my safety and dive briefings were excellent. Additionally, her pointers on improving my abilities and the use of my U/W camera were most helpful as were the tips on locating underwater life; also showing me unusual sites and fantastic sea creatures, such as the electronic charge scallop...Joan is truly a jewel!!

I will return to Moalboal again for diving and cannot imagine so much as considering another dive company as I believe Outer Reef is the best available in Moalboal/Cebu !!

Hi Mark,

It was a pleasure diving with you, and really appreciate your feedback. We hope that you return to dive with us again.

Cebu City, Philippines
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Great Patient Instructor”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We have used Roger on two occasions, once for PADI Open water and once for PADI Advanced Open water course. Rogers equipment, crew and boat are first class. He now has a fantastic Filipina Dive Master (Joann) to assist him. If you want to learn or improve your SCUBA skills, ORA is the place. You won't have cattle car training or transport. Just good quality instruction with very limited student to instructor ratio. I absolutely recommend ORA to anyone traveling to Moalboal. He can help you with hotel and room recommendations also.

Visited August 2012
Hi Joseph, Thanks for the great review. We really appreciate it. I hope you are continuing to have a great time, and we were very happy to hear that Lorna returned to school... Best of Luck. Cheers,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Personalized Service”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My fiance and I contacted Outer Reef Adventures for an Open Water scuba course. Roger Carroway and his staff put together a wonderful package for us. Despite some problems that couldn't be avoided (cold and flu season), Roger set up a schedule that would get us comfortable in the water, and fulfill the requirements of the course. Best of all, it was just the two of us (plus Roger and his crew).

We had a great time. The equipment was in great condition and their boat was absolutely perfect doing what it had been built for. Roger and his crew did everything possible to accommodate us including meeting us at our hotel, showing us to the pool, transporting us to the boat, showing us around Moalboal and just generally helping us have a great vacation. When it came to the actual coursework, they did everything within reason to help us get comfortable in the water, and to learn to be safe divers.

We weren't able to finish our certification due to some issues that just couldn't be avoided (our fault...not theirs), but we'll definitely be back. If you're a family or a small group looking to learn scuba or experienced divers looking for a guide to Moalboal's reefs, I don't think you could do much better.

Visited May 2012
Jim thank you so much for the kind words in your review.. I appoligize that it has taken me this long to respond and get the swing of this Trip Advisor program. Anyway I am looking forward to see you and Michelle next time you come to Cebu.