“Great private place to stay”

Sea Turtle House Moalboal
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed for two nights in the Royal Athletes Room. Thought that was a weird theme but it's a comfortable room anyway. It's right by the reception and kitchen and dining area, so it could get noisy if there are rowdy guests there. It's a good-sized room that comes with a futon, dumbbells, a waist spinning disc, and rubber mats if you want to sneak in a workout during your stay. The queen sized bed is cozy, but the pillows and sheets are worn and thin. It didn't really bother us, though, as they were clean. The aircon works fine. The bathroom is large and the hot shower works properly, too. It doesn't have a refrigerator, though, unlike their resort view rooms, which are cheaper. Their wi-fi connection is really strong across the property, and my friends and I got to do work while we were there.

Our booking included a simple breakfast, which was a good serving of two pieces of toast, two pieces of bacon, an egg, and butter and jam. You have the option to upgrade to other Filipino breakfast meals for a fee. Their meals are relatively expensive, understandably since it's a resort, but the servings are generous and they were pretty good, too. They also offer budget meals, both adobo, for those who want to spend less. They don't provide house water but you can buy a liter of bottled water. They have beer, too.

The property is lovely. It's very private and quiet, unlike in White Beach. For the price, it's a steal. Lots of spots to lounge at comfortably, with great views of the sea. They don't have much
of a shoreline, but they have beautiful rock formations and it's so nice to swim when it's high tide. There's a little hut halfway down the beach and we spent our nights drinking there.

Their service is commendable. I've been exchanging text messages with them before we arrived and they answered all my questions promptly. They can contact a tricycle driver for you for pick-up or when you want to go to Moalboal town proper. They also know an able boat crew who can take you snorkeling in Pescador Island and Panagsama Beach for a cheap rate. The boatmen were very good so better leave them a small tip, too. The owners have a nice dog
who's very quiet and harmless. Their staff are very attentive and all smiles. They also take the time to chat with guests. The wife of Stefano even offered us some jackfruit, which they picked from their own tree. We had a really great time at Sea Turtle House. I would recommend it to families and group of friends who want a quiet and private place to enjoy the sea and make the most of their trip in Cebu.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 21, 2014

We were staying somewhere else but came to Sea Turtle House with the aim of snorkelling to find sea turtles. The staff there were very friendly. Despite not staying at the hotel, they took great care over looking after our possessions while we snorkelled, and we had a fresh and delicious lunch on one of their outside tables. The whole place was very quiet and peaceful as they only have a handful of rooms. Best of all, we succeeded in seeing a sea turtle.

Its located in quite a quiet area, but if you are not bothered about having the bars and restaurants of the nearby town, then I would recommend as a place to stay. Easy to get around to other places by rented scooter anyway.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We highly recommend the Sea Turtle House for its location, the room, the staff and the food. We were planning to stay here for a few days but due to weather situation, we could not come earlier. We sent a text message to the hotel once we got near Moalboal. Stefan told us to wait in town because we was going to send a tricycle to pick us up. It was a 10 to 15 minute ride to the hotel. When we got there, there was a group getting ready to check out and they were all over the moon with joy - a great sign. To make a long story short, we had a great time too even though we only stayed for one day/one night. The Sea Turtle House has less than 10 rooms. It is a lot smaller but more intimate than the other hotels in the area. The room we stayed was very clean and functional. The breakfast was excellent which was included in the price of the room. We also had lunch and dinner and we were very satisfied. The wi-fi connection was satisfactory. Most of all, Stefan and Ninita made us feel at home.
We couldn't believe that we did so many fun things in one day like swimming with millions of sardines and snorkeling at a very beautiful coral reef just a few meters away from the hotel.
In summary, we highly recommend staying at the Sea Turtle House if you are going to Moalboal.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2014 via mobile

My family and I had a great time in sea turtle house by doing our own thing..what I meant was..we met a local and we were able to save up a lot by avoiding the big cost of deals for island hopping..food wise and all kinds of transportation that most of the hotels,cabins around moalboal..honestly for someone like us who's not fond of diving 1500 for four visiting banjan island..turtle sunctuary and pescador island white beach was a really good deal..mind you we were there 5hours but we end up giving the local we knew 2k php coz they were so nice..sea turtle house needs to be improved but having said that it wasn't bad at all..we didnt loke the food in sea turtle house coz it was too way salty.. we end up buying oir meal in hk restaurant its very affordable and very tasty...but the wife of the owner was friendly..Although the husband didnt came to approach and welcome us being professional and owns the business..how ever it was just a thing my husband n I noticed..one of the girl probobly got upset when she found out us doing our own thing not going through their packages and offers..which honestly she doesnt have any right to asked their customer where we were heading that time..dont get me wrong but its just a little annoying..but I will still recommend this place to our friends..

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Stefano946, General Manager at Sea Turtle House Moalboal, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your view of the situation and your guest review. We offer our guests some boat tours with a friendly, specialized, and very professional boatman and his team who takes great care of his passengers for example when they go snorkeling and get into a strong stream of water he rescues them while using his special fins. He really does a great job and brings the guests to the best spots for snorkeling while offering them a lot of time to enjoy. Our air con transfer drivers and our tricycle drivers are our trusted people and we carefully selected boatmen and drivers while keeping our track record on them. So - if nothing goes wrong - we really know them very, very in general. We really, really don't recommend selecting another boat or driver as there is another boatman who is even a criminal and he wouldn't care if you get carried away by a strong stream - especially if you have some valuables on board. Many tricycle drivers also try to bring you to all those resorts and accommodations that pay them the highest commission - but that is not where you would want to end up for sure.
So please trust our management and let us help you. It's YOUR holiday after all.
Sorry, if at that time the food was too salty for Filipinos (who are used to eat salted fish unlike the foreigners and so Filipinos tend to have already an overdose of salt in their bodies and that gives them naturally an allergy to more salt. So Filipinos eat for example rice without sauce unlike Westerners who need enough salt for health reasons. It looks like our assistant cook had a unsecured moment if the food is for Filipinos . I eat here all the time since she works here for 2 years and I never experienced a salty plate. The prices for our selected meals include usually great and expensive imported veggies as by now we also offer tasty budget meals.
As Filipinos usually prefer just to talk with Filipinos for to get their offer I just let my wife do the job and did not approach with greetings and extra stories. Anyway if there are many guests that is not done and for half a year we had so many guests – thanks God.
We have a waitress who is not so welcoming while now she already is working pretty much less with us.
Know that you are always welcome here in STH!

Reviewed April 22, 2014

I just spent 4 days at the beautiful Sea Turtle House. My only real complaint is that I couldn't stay longer. This place is paradise and and excellent value for the money. This beachfront property is very clean, nicely landscaped and the water is crystal clear and teeming with sea life such as sea turtles and scads of brightly colored fish and coral. The owners, Stefano and Nenita happily tended to my every need.
The cabin was very clean and comfortable and the staff worked hard to make sure I was happy. There are not a lot of cabins here which I really liked because it means peace and quiet compared to bigger and busier resorts. It also means that Stefano and Nenita can personally see to my needs.
While I was contented to just relax on the beach, Stefano and Nenita gave me many affordable entertainment and adventure options from island hopping to day trips.
Access is easy from Moal Boal. Tricycles are easy to get in Moal Boal and they are a cheap and easy mode of transportation to and from the resort.
I also must mention that the on site restaurant offers a nice diverse menu. The meals were delicious and the servings were quite generous and reasonably priced. Again, the service staff was excellent.
All in all this place exceeded my expectations and I am considering going back there if I can find the time before my time in the Philippines runs out. I would strongly recommend Sea Turtle House to my friends and other travelers looking for paradise at a good price.

Room Tip: Suites by the beach are very quiet. Next time I think I'll get a room with kitchenette.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Stefano946, General Manager at Sea Turtle House Moalboal, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2014

It was great to have you and your friend here. We had a really good time and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed it too. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and ...
best wishes!
Stefan and Nenita

Reviewed April 18, 2014

This hotel is amazing, I was complaining of the 2-3 hours drive from the airport (zigzag road),if you drive or travel early you will see the nice view of Cebu on the way to this hotel. It an amazing ocean view from the room. The Managers (Stefan and Nenita) were great, They help us plan what to do while were there, Our 3 nights of stay is relaxing and fun, and of course Nenita is a very good cook so we really enjoyed our stay. snorkeling, kawasan falls and fruit market with the help of Stefan and Nenita was an unforgettable experience.
Thank you we really had a great vacation.. I will definitely go back on this place hopefully soon,

Room Tip: Pick the family room, it has a nice view from the ocean..
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank NickandClar

Dear Nick,
Thank you for everything strong and tough guy. It was really a pleasure to have you and your wife and friends here.
I hope to see you again soon.
Best wishes!
Stefan

Reviewed April 15, 2014

I'm 30, live in Singapore and enjoy backpacking/exciting holidays... my mother is 59 and lives in England; once a year she visits and I try to plan a fantastic trip that we can both enjoy in Asia. I chose Sea Turtle House as I wanted her to enjoy peace and beautiful nature, stay in a place where she would feel safe and relaxed (she is not used to Asia) with the option of more activities. We have both really enjoyed our stay here.

Sea Turtle House is a simple, quiet place where you can enjoy excellent snorkelling straight from the beach, and yes, we saw turtles every day! The best reef is near the drop, about 40 metres out to sea, and boats drop other tourists to that spot for snorkelling and scuba. There are some lovely little benches and shaded spots with views out to sea - there are glorious sunsets! Mum loved reading her book in the shade and walking along the beach when it was low tide, but I couldn't resist the draw of the sea!

We went on two trips, both of which were great. One was swimming with whale sharks, then visiting the Kawasan falls (3000 pesos, including aircon bus and lunch). The people in that town were feeding the whale sharks, so you may wish to do your own research on how ethical you think that is - it was an incredible experience though. The other was island hopping and swimming with the huge shoal of sardines (3000php between 6 of us).

Sea Turtle House IS very secluded. It takes 3 hours to get here from the airport, and it's a 10 minute ride to the nearest town. When we first arrived, we were the only guests, so we opted to eat elsewhere - the nearby Dolphin resort had lovely food in a beautiful setting, but at Singapore/UK prices. A tricycle brings you to nearby Panagsama for 100php each way, and there are loads of restaurants and bars there. We also walked along to nearby White Beach, but found the hospitality there catered more to local tourists (not so much for vegetarians!). We ate the food at STH a few times and it was very nice, Filipino style with western touches.

This place is great, but possibly not for everyone. If you want lively night life and to be in the thick of it, you're better off staying in Panagsama. For more luxury, you can stay in nearby resorts for a higher price (but still share the same beach). I would recommend STH for people who want peace, nature and access to coral reefs. It would be a good place for a family holiday, or a group of friends, anyone who wants to chill out with the sounds of the sea (plus occasional goats and chickens!). We loved it, as the pictures show!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah A

Dear Sarah,
Thanks a lot for your great guest revue and the beautiful pictures you posted. It was really, really nice seeing you and your mother enjoy the place, the snorkeling, the tours etc.
It was a pleasure and honor to have you here.
Enjoy your time and we all hope to see you here again whenever you feel like it.
Best wishes and take care!
Stefano and team