“I came to learn and left trying to break a national record”
Review of Element Freedive

Element Freedive
More attraction details
Owner description: The premier place to freedive in the Philippines at Kasai Village Resort. Freediving courses (Pure Apnea) for beginners and easy access deep-dive training on the platform for all freedivers wanting to get deeper! Located exactly on the sea with depths well over 100 meters. Freedivers from all over the world are coming here to train and having a wonderful time.
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I wanted to learn about freediving and improve on the skills that I need for my job (I swim around in an aquarium dressed as a mermaid, holding my breath), and I chose Element Freedive because Andrew put together a Program that included SSI levels 1 and 2, but then he went beyond this and shared all of his expertise with me.

I was supposed to stay for 12 days, but I liked it so much that I decided to stay for longer, wasting a couple hundred dollars of airplane tickets and I couldnt have made a better choice.

If you are interested in really focusing on freediving there is no better place than Element Freedive because Andrew is both an excellent coach and instructor who loves freediving and who has found and put together the most amazing place to do it.

First we went through the basic skills of freediving, and after you learn these, you discover that with proper technique you can accomplish much more than you expect (I witnessed this for myself and for 3 other students that came during my stay). By the end of those few days it takes to take the course, you come out having a good understanding of freediving and of the things you need to do to take your diving to the next level.

Andrew is a very patient and thorough instructor, but he manages to keep a very relaxed learning atmosphere, which is exactly what freediving is about, and he takes very few students so you have all his attention. He is very good at communicating how a skill needs to be done and you practice in and out of the water. He is very encouraging and will work to improve the areas where you struggle and push you to improve but will also tell you when it is time to take a break, and will also keep it safe because he can tell when you are pushing yourself too much.

Once we were done the basics and we discovered at I was good, he turned into a trainer and a coach helping me try to break the US record for static apnea, so I was able to see him both as an instructor for beginners and as a trainer for more advanced diving.

The place is also wonderfully set up for freediving because there is a platform where you do the dives down a line with marks so that you cantell the depth so there are no hassles of using a boat So all you need to do is set out for a pretty swim that gets you completely relaxed and ready to dive by the time you get there..

The accommodations, are amazing: I slept in a house that was on the ocean above the steps that go down to the water, so I could see the ocean while laying in bed (but you also have the option of rolling down the curtains). I also stayed at Andrew's place, where I got to watch freediving videos and experience the freediving lifestyle, where relaxing, eating the healthy and delcious dinners Andrew makes, drinking his superhero shakes (with bee pollen, and all kinds of healthy stuff) after diving, sleeping and diving was all I did, and I loved it.

Probably all these other things you do around the actual freediving improve your performance in the water. It was very enjoyable to follow the example of an accomplished diver like Andrew who really loves the discipline and who is able to transmit this so that you can experience the freediving lifestyle for the duration of your stay.

I want to go back.

1  Thank Amelium
ElementFreedive, Owner at Element Freedive, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

You did well! Congratulations on becoming the newest member of the Woman's USA Freediving Team. (http://www.supportteamusa.org/Support_Team_USA/The_Team.html) It was great having you here. You will be a top female contender in the world over the coming months and years. You are welcomed back here for more serious training.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

Firstly lets deal with the bad...nothing! For the past year at the age of 53 I have wanted to explore Freediving and eventually I thought...l am going to do it. I had read up all about the pitfalls of the sport and watched some of the extremely adventurous men and woman who participate in this sport going to extreme depths for many minutes so I had a good idea of what it would entail. I decided to book with Andrew who is running his own show in the pretty barangay of Moalboal.The reason I chose Andrew was that unlike his only rival who is close by; Andrew follows the SSI system and at the end of the course is able to certify you as a level 1 or 2 freediver which is a qualification recognised throughout the world. I was lucky in that I was able to stay in Andrews house for the course. Firstly, can I make a point to anybody reading this review, when you learn to freedive with Andrew, you are entering the world of a person who is totally dedicated to the sport both in the water and out of the water. Its almost like he is not interested in taking your money so long as he can show you how to freedive! This means you are more or less entering a kind of freediving retreat! For me it was a bit of a "detox" as back in my world I eat and drink a lot of the bad stuff! Andrew prepared our food on a daily basis and at the end of the 5 days I certainly felt the benefit of Andrews shakes (dont ask me how many things went in it!) and food that was rich in protein and low in carbohydrates. At the end of my stay, I felt so much healthier and slightly leaner! So what about the course(s) well I decided to do the level one course which lasts for 2 days and then level 2 course which last for 3 days. just to give you an idea of what can be achieved in a very short time...one hour after arriving on day one Andrew asked me to hold my breath for as long as I could and I made it to 60 seconds...then he showed me the way a free diver prepares himself prior to a dive and 15 mins later I was able to hold my breath for 2 minutes! So you can imagine what can then be achieved in 5 days! I dived to 24 meters and could well have done more but felt happy with what I had achieved and cant wait to get back in the water soon! thanks Andrew!

4  Thank Martyn John C