“Outstanding Experience”

Savedra Dive Center
Ranked #2 of 21 Tours in Moalboal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Savedra Dive Center, winner of the CGP Best Nature Experience 2012 award, is in the center of Panagsama beach.Just a few meters from the shoreline and our house reef and minutes away by boat to the best dive sites in the area.Savedra is Moalboals only PADI 5 star Instructor Development center and PADI Tec Rec training center.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Outstanding Experience”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I made my first trip to Cebu in March and decided on Savedra Dive Center based on some online communication I had with Lee Butler. I could not have made a better decision. Savedra Dive centre is a top rate dive center with world class staff.

Lee Butler worked with my girlfriend to achieve her PADI Scuba Diver certification. Rather than continue with the Open Water skills that were causing her great stress, he suggested that she start making fun dives as a Scuba Diver under the direction of a DM or Instructor and become more comfortable in the water. It was an excellent recommendation that comes from experience and a strong sense of empathy with the students under his instruction.

I had just completed my Tec Sidemount course in Luzon the week before and wanted additional SM experience during my time in Cebu. Savedra Dive Center could not have been more accommodating and encouraging. I was exceptionally fortunate to be teamed up with Benjim as my DM for all my dives at Savedra. I can not recommend him enough for an excellent dive experience both when we were alone and when my girlfriend joined as a newly certified Scuba Diver.

The entire staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The evening sessions outside the shop were great. Divers from many different nations join the staff for some after dive "beverages" and great discussions.

I will definitely be returning in the future!

Visited March 2013
2 Thank Sevenrider860
Lee B, Course Director at Savedra Dive Center, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hi Brian,

thank you for the feedback, looking forward to seeing you and Rose again, happy dives

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“First Class”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Savedra Dive centre is a first class establishment. The staff are extremelly friendly and approachable. The divemasters and instructors are very helpful and try their best to ensure you have a great day diving. The dive sites in Moalboal are top quality, and Panagsama beach is a perfect beachside holiday destination. I'd highly recommend both Moalboal and Savedra.

Visited February 2013
Lee B, Manager at Savedra Dive Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Mandy it was a great experience conducting your Divemaster course, thanks for joining us and do not leave it too long before coming back to see us.

all the best,
Lee
London, United Kingdom
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“One staff member just tried to RIP ME OFF!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Quite literally this morning the young lady who does the payment process just tried to rip me off for P500! I'll keep the details fairly brief so this doesn't become the scathing review I'd like to give, which reflects how I felt after I came away from there.

I paid the young girl P3000 in cash, our bill totaled P2960 for 2 dives yesterday. I put the money on the counter, 6 notes of P500, (I have absolutely no problem counting to 6) she quickly picked them up and put them into the cash drawer that already had another neat pile of money in it and did a bit of a five knuckle shuffle with the notes, then she said that will be another P500 "you only gave me P2500" and she took P2500 back out of the drawer. I became pretty angry straight away and said I'd given P3000 as I had, (fact of the matter was I only had P5000 on me as I'd just counted it out from the room and still had P2000 in my pocket). Quite clearly in the cash drawer was the other P500 that she had omitted from my pile, which I then picked up and said that this is the other note, "No, that is from yesterdays cash" she said even though it was completely separate from the rest of the very well bundled together pile of notes that was already in the drawer. I got a little more agitated and confirmed more positively that I HAD given her P3000 at this point she gave me my change.

Would I go back here or recommend them NO, why would I?

Visited March 2013
3 Thank Pinheadplanet
Lee B, Course Director at Savedra Dive Center, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Hi Pinheadplanet,

I am sorry to hear your stay with us ended on a low note, I would have very much appreciated the opportunity to discuss this with you before you left. In your absence I have interviewed the two staff members that were present and one of our divers that witnessed the incident.

By all accounts our cashier did her best to help you, it was unfortunate that the telephone lines were not operational and your credit card payment could not be processed, I understand this led to some frustration on your part.

Your account of events would suggest that there was one 500 peso note left in an otherwise empty cash drawer, this was not the case as the entire days takings were there. All of which was receipted and accounted for.

Had you given me the opportunity to do so I would have happily gone through the register contents and confirmed the cash drawer balance with you, demonstrating that there was no money inside that was unaccounted for.

The staff member in question has been with us for some time, both we and her previous employers will attest to her good character and honesty, she remains very upset by the allegation. She in fact discounted your bill by 500 pesos as an act of goodwill to resolve the matter.

Having investigated this matter I am satisfied that there was no dishonesty on the part of our staff and would suggest that it was no more than a misunderstanding.
koshii
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Technical Diving Training”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I went there to do my Tec Sidemount Course, mostly because I previously did my Tec40&Tec45 with the now the resident Course Director Lee Butler when he was working in Mactan.

Moalboal is a fair ride from Cebu City, but the scenery is nice, and trips from the Airport are well organised by the Dive shop. Turns out the "isolation" of Moalboal adds focus to the "training" experience. There is not much action apart for a few bars and restaurants, but more than enough for a few friendly post-dive beers. In the area you can drive to Kawasan Falls (very nice waterfalls) for your last day of Deco.

Savedra Dive shop is well organised and run, has good facilities and friendly staff. It is also linked to some good looking "Divers" accommodation next door, but I preferred to stay outside of town in a very small but charming little resort called Club Serena (with a pool and a beach !!!). I found that place very quiet and could really focus on relaxing - it was like a private retreat. If you are a bit adventurous take a little motorbike and drive everyday. (ask Lee for the shortcut).

Lee Butler is a very good instructor, well worth the 3hours drive from Cebu City. Calm, relaxed, very accommodating on schedule and especially nice when it comes to be ridiculous doing your back fining on camera or shutting down the wrong valve. The cathedral is a very good place to practice your accuracy of movements, and has good little passages to practice the advantages of Sidemount. Local diving is very convenient and better quality than most resorts.

If compared with my previous stays in the Philippines, i would say it has been the most relaxing so far ... I usually finish my stay on my knees with crazy dive schedules and headaches, but not this time. Whale sharks were spotted on "early morning" dives, which is why I missed them and why I will probably have to go back there.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank koshii
Lee B, Course Director at Savedra Dive Center, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thanks Stephan, great to have you here. Looking forward to seeing you again for the Tec 50 training.
Florida
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Best Getaway”
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

I have been diving and visiting Moalboal for close on 8 years now. I only dive with Savedra Dive. Over the years, Karl and his team have always looked after me and my family extremely well. The dive guides are great, ranging from Jaime showing us some great creatures, Lindy correctly predicting whale sharks, to hand feeding turtles with chunks of soft coral! I highly recommend Savedra to anyone looking for a good dive trip. Moalboal is a small sleepy fishing village so no nightlife so if you want that, go somewhere else.
The best is the no fly day! Go visit Planet Action for a 1 day trip. My favorite is the River climb! Fantastic way to spend the day off gassing!
Complaints? Only one I can think of is that the gear area can get a bit wet and muggy from lack of sunshine but that would be it!

1 Thank AWomanWhoGoesPlaces
Thank you for your kind comments, great to hear you are still enjoying the place after so many years. I would like to stress we do have a strict no touching or feeding policy with regards to all marine lfe, this passive interaction helps ensure the reef stays beautful for your future visits. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip. Safe and happy dives.