“Self contained holiday apartments”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moalboal
Barefoot White Beach Resort
Ranked #20 of 24 Moalboal B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Self contained holiday apartments”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed in the honeymoon suite which is, according to other reviewers, the best room in the 'resort'. This accommodation is not a resort and would be better renamed 'holiday apartments.' It offers no servicing of rooms, and as others have mentioned there is no bar or restaurant. If you are just looking for a place to sleep this is really not so much of an issue. However other places in the area are offering good rooms with a full hotel service at much lower rates. Perhaps a reduction in rate and more honesty about the facilities of the place might attract fewer negative reviews. I think guests are arriving with high expectations and are going away disappointed. The 'honeymoon suite', for instance, could best be described as a self contained apartment. On the positive side, it was nicely furnished and clean, and it is located right on the beachfront. The staff were very pleasant and hardworking and as other reviewers have mentioned they will cook your meals for the cost of the ingredients. This is a nice touch, and I hope people have been tipping this lovely lady because she seems to be making up for what the management lacks in hospitality. In particular I was very unimpressed with the comments made by the management on some of the other reviews. While one reviewer in particular may have deserved a rebuke, some of the other responses to reviews seem to me to be to be very sarcastic. I understand some guests may be a bit picky and unreasonable in their complaints, but such behaviour by management is very unprofessional and will not do the business any favours, Perhaps the manager is a fan of Fawlty Towers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank m00dle255060
Barefootresort88, Manager at Barefoot White Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Thank you for your review and feedback.

We look forward to seeing you back in Barefoot White Beach Resort again soon!

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
EU
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at Barefoot White Beach in 2011 and again in 2012. So it's fair to say we are happy with this place. yes, there are a few drawbacks (no pool, access not ideal), but the place makes up for what it lacks.

We stayed both times in the honeymoon suite (with two extra mattresses for our children). The view across the sea on to Negros (lot of thunderstorms over there in July) is breathtaking. OK they don't have restaurant, but the cook offers you to cook for you, whatever you want (a la carte - almost everything is possible). They do the shopping (you pay of course) and they prepare (to the best of their abilities) the meal you ask for, free of extra charge. You want western dishes, she does her best to prepare them. Is it a 5* meal - no. If you let her prepare a Filipino meal, then it's like staying at local family. Not 5*, but a genuine impression of the island you wanted to visit. They do the dishes, clear your table ...

No restaurant means you have to prepare your breakfast yourself - but then again, if you set the hour, they'll happily prepare that for you too. Did I mention they don't charge for this extra service? When they notice you're doing the dishes of the breakfast, they offer to do them for you.

OK - they have no pool. Who needs it when the sea is there in 10m??

Horror of all - there are low tides, so you have to wade into the sea before you can swim ... Imagine the horror :o)) Most awful of all - if you swim to the edge of the reef, there are many fish (oooh - even a lion-fish), sea turtles that swim away if you're too intrusive. And should you touch the corals, they can bite back by giving you a nasty scratch ... For those without in depth knowledge of English: this whole paragraph is sarcastic!! It's beach is beautiful, the corals are damaged -bleaching is global :-(, the fish are plentiful, the sea turtles visit the reef to get their shields cleaned and apparently even a whale shark can be seen there (we were not so lucky). Snorkeling is great there, one of the reasons we returned to White Beach.

In another (imo biased) review they say the beach is dirty. Let me tell you that in the almost 3 weeks we stayed there (in two years) the only place that swept the beach (and didn't throw it back in the sea) in White beach was this place!! The 'conservationists' a few places on do that every morning ...

Where does Arnold come in then? Well Arnold (as slim as he may be) is the guy that knows everything around the place, runs around until your every whim is fulfilled. Even the stuff you don't need done, he'll do it, just to help you. He works hard to get everything done, always ready to help, always cheerful, always wanting to help. OK - some may find that a bad thing, but when you're in a place, a ride by trike from Moalboal, what's wrong with someone who offers his help? Nothing! They made us feel part of Filipino family, they take care of you as if you were their precious family (there's even an armed night guard to watch over you and your possessions). Even the night guard wants to help you with the slighest problem you have. And if he doesn't understand or can't fix it, Arnold reappears - ever friendly and helpful. You are a part of their 'family', that's something no other resort will offer you. They have free Wifi and if you want to use it, they let you use the villa (when it's free), will turn on the aircon to please you (I go to SE Asia for the climate, so I kindly refused), ... they trust you.
Maybe it's because we're a family of appreciative, mindful and tourists that they like in stead of some exigent guy, talking from his ivory tower.

The aircon is similar to that found in other places, it works just fine. The bathroom is basic (shower and wash bassin) but it's OK and CLEAN. Just like the bedroom and the living room. Are there ants? If you eat outside you'll have them of course - any place on the beach has them. Unless they use so many insecticides the fish in the sea start dying as well ...

About the 'greedy' (other review) owner: one night the neighbors were having a loud party into the early hours. When we mentioned it to the staff, they apologized (too much, it made me slightly uncomfortable) and explained the night guard was in error there. Much to our horror - they replaced him by someone else! He should have taken action (talk to the neighbor, contact police, ...) ... On top of that - the 'greedy' owner offered us a nice bottle of red wine (not cheap in that part of Cebu) ...

Would we go back when visiting Cebu: YES!

Room Tip: Book the honey moon suite! You live on the beach ... The villa is the next best thing.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
8 Thank SEATravellerFromEU
Barefootresort88, Manager at Barefoot White Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Hello and thank you for your nice review and your feedback! Arnold was so happy to hear about your compliments, and sends his regards.

We are really happy to hear that you had such a nice stay, and we look forward to seeing you back again soon.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We have reserved a room for 4 for 2 nights prior to our Arrival in Moalboal. And as I was able to read the reviews about the hotel prior I had a grasp of what were the things that we're usually applauded and those that are complained about.

1. It isn't highly accessible, something any hotel/ accommodation facility should find solution too. Especially when the tricycle driver whom you trusted to help you get you to the place, dropped you off a place nowhere near the hotel. Definitely not a good way to start.

> I think the driver was too afraid for the life of his almost "giving-up" motorcycle to try the rocky roads to the hotel. But still that isn't a reason to deceive us, seriously. -_-

2. We think the room was BIG enough for the four of us, maybe the room with kitchen is around 26-28 square meters.. The Toilet and Bath is huge which we love. The wide front porch is awesome for outdoor dining. Although the room pricing is a little high for us (maybe with a few hundreds pesos)

Though the shower head is inefficient and should be replaced. They provide hot water kettle, rice cooker, and a two-door refrigerator which is awesome.

3. The Staff were amazing, "Ate" the head of staff is awesome really, and we somehow adore Arnel, he was smiling all throughout while we are giving out some orders, and we really appreciate it.

You can ask them to buy raw foods to the market (shrimps, crabs, squids, pork, fish, mangoes) and all the needed ingredients and request them to cook for you with no extra fee. Just give them money enough for the fuel of the motor they will used. :)) <<< WINNER SERVICE. /bows/

And somehow, I feel that they understaffed esp. if all the rooms are occupied. Attending to all the occupant's needs, going back and forth on a hot sunny day is not an easy task. I hope they are compensated well, I would like to believe they are, since they are the epitome of service with a smile. :)

4. I highly recommend this hotel~! Will definitely go back here!

But the hotel need some work for improvement, and I think "Access" is should be at the top of those priorities. Because for some, first impression really lasts, and the approach to the hotel is not what they would expect.

I am looking forward to my next Moalboal Underwater adventure and it's highly probable that I'll stay again in Barefoot White beach resort. :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jcgado
Thank you for your kind words about our staff and for your useful feedback about our resort!

The small path leading down to the resort can be a problem sometimes, but we also like to think of our place as a ‘hide-away’ where you don’t have so many people and motorbikes going past, and just having a path instead of a road helps.

We look forward to having you back at Barefoot again soon!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The trip to Cebu was a little bit of a rush to get out of town right after holly week with my wife and two teenage kids. I contacted management directly to make quick reservations; they were very attentive and accommodating. I had to make a bank deposit to reserve 2 rooms. On their website they offer airport pick-up one way for 70 USD, we opted for taking a metered taxi for about 42 USD. The place is not easy to find once getting to Moalboal but the taxi driver was able to find it after asking several times for direction. It is about 7 kilometers from the main road. As other people mentioned, there is no main entrance to the place other than a narrow path between barb wire and a brick wall. As we walked in, the friendly staff came to help us with our luggage and took us to our rooms. I have lived in Philippines for 5 years and I know that their definition of “Resort” is not what a resort is in many countries around the world. The lady in charge told us that she is a very good cook and can fix any kind of dishes for us but she needed to go to the market to buy the food. We were hunger and decided to walk along the beach and found club serena, which offers very good food. For dinner the lady offered to fix dinner for us but we realized that there was no place for us to eat. The rooms only have a bed, two night stands and a TV. Outside the room there is a small table, good for two people with a trail of ants and a view across from the room of clothes hanged to dry (see pictures). We spend two nights and had all our meals at club serena, the restaurant has a nice atmosphere and a beach view. The bathroom was somewhat clean but has cheap fixtures, towels were old and gray. There was water bottles in the room for a 20 pesos charge, I wonder why in a “Resort” there is a charge for drinking water when the tap water is not drinkable? The room door does not close completely leaving a significant gap in the middle where insects come to the room. There are roosters nearby making noise 24 hrs a day. I thought they only did it when the sun rises. On our departure, we asked for the airport transport for 70 USD because there is no way to get a taxi from the hotel. I reserved the transport 4 hours ahead of my flight to have enough time in case there was any traffic. As I was checking out, the lady told me that they do not take credit cards, contrary to what their website says so I had to go to their “sister resort” to pay with my credit card and they also wanted to charge 5% for paying with credit card. I refused to pay the extra 5% but we lost about 40 minutes going to the other place to pay which almost made us miss our flight. We were charged 2,500 pesos/room/night (62USD) for a “Resort” that does not offer free drinking water, has bad AC, insects and ants. This is probably the smallest of all the hotels in that sand strip and it is way overpriced. I felt bad for the staff, they were trying to be very accommodating and polite but they can only do so much. It is the owner of the place who should give the face to customers who go there based on the clever pictures posted on their website which are totally deceiving and receive all the complaints from guests.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GAAG9

Travelers are raving about these Moalboal hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 8, 2013

First this is not a resort there is no bar or restaurant, it has about 6 normal rooms and 2 or so higher end villas , Barefoot has barely any frontage to the road so it is approached only by a rocky passage. There is a nice beach out the back with great views at sunset. We found the staff very friendly and accomadating, but the owner would not budge on lowering her price (1500 pesos) but after looking around this seemed average in the aea. Also you will need transport to get to town scooter/car.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cebu City, Philippines
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Upon returning from recent weekend trip to Moalboal have to agree with the review by Michael W. We booked our rooms pretty late, so there were no available in usual resorts like Tipolo. Also we wanted to explore that northern part with White Beach and all that stuff. Of course we were attracted by highly photoshoped images in Agoda.

Reality came as huge shock. First of all, there's no way get there by car. They have some wild path, which you can go by bike, still it can be tricky. Otherwise you have to go it barefoot. Seeing this we all know where that title came from.

Now as for the rooms. There were no toilet paper, no soap, no shampoo. Each item you had to inquire from very tired staff members. Floor was full of sand in both rooms. Aircon in one room lacked of remote control, it was important as that model is operated by RC mostly. Also in both toilets flush system wasn't working. Some technician came up and "fixed" it, but still it was easier to remove pan cover and to flush by hand.

That's not all. In the early morning there was blackout. Aircons were down, also the water pump of course. Happily this facility has its own generator. Sad thing is that this generator is located just near living rooms. So sunday morning was full of that awesome noise.

You get all this precious for 2500PHP per night only. What a great deal we have here. There was that guy who came with his girlfriend in some quest of romantic vacation I guess. He paid 5 nights ahead. Poor him.

Among other features I'd love to mark.. This so called resort is really remote from main village. We have to drive for about 10 minutes to reach Moalboal spot. Also they don't serve any meals, so you have plenty of choices: you can go to Moalboal on your own (it'll be about 200PHP on tricycle! madness! good thing we had our bikes), you can send some staff to Moalboal to buy groceries for you and they'll cook it for free, you can go to other nearest resort and have your meal out there. I vote that last option. However it's much better not to stay at Barefoot at all, or just leave the place ASAP.

The beach is great, just as always in Cebu, in Philippines. Yet another time I agree with Michael - the owner of this place just gets his profit from original nature location, without investing anything into its improvement.

Room Tip: Try another resort.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank pesochek
Barefootresort88, Manager at Barefoot White Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Hello Nikolai,
You really have some good points there. We’re happy to say we now have a new remote for the aircon, the beach sand on the floor is gone and we have a new roll of toilet paper in the bathroom again. We are starting to build a restaurant next week and the electrical company promised us to never have a brownout again. Right now we are also thinking hard about how we can move Moalboal closer to the resort.

Take care and hope to see you soon again!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked this place via their website cause the pictures looked nice - with a text message - it is not a resort!!! the staff are pushy!!! The room rates are expensive!!! ITS IS NOT A RESORT!! no restaurant! no service!! no pool, SMALL rooms, crappy pillows, crappy aircon, cheap mattress! its hard to find, its on one small block of land with no beach view, like an old country motel in Australia, but one room has a beach view (honeymoon suite)... having said all that its in a very nice quiet location. But the guy who owns it is a greedy person capitalising on the location, and if you'd like a nice dinner go two doors down and see Mark and the friendly staff at Club Serena, they have great rooms, private and large!! and they know how to treat their guests... stay if you want but I have warned you!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Michael W
Barefootresort88, Owner at Barefoot White Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
You forgot to mention that our staff had to call the police when you and your girlfriend tried to run off without paying the bill! Your manners are a disgrace for Australia and your blackmail attempt with bad reviews in trip advisor didn’t work. I never heard so many F-words in one sentence as when we called the police and you where forced to pay your bill or follow them to prison for a free night stay. Better luck next time.