“Quiet, hassle-free getaway”

Bonita Oasis Beach Resort
Manila, Philippines
“Quiet, hassle-free getaway”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We had to change our vacation plans at the last minute due to some unforeseen circumstances beyond our control, and I hit the internet to check out possible places in Moalboal just 3 days before we were scheduled to fly into Cebu. Saw Bonita Oasis here, went to look at their website, and sent an email inquiry, did the same to some other places I saw listed here on Tripadvisor. Out of all the inquiries I made that day by email, Bonita Oasis was the first to reply. I thought that that was a good sign (a couple of places didn't even bother to reply to my email!).
We decided to book the 3 days-2 nights package advertised on their website, with the option to extend 3 more nights. Coordinating with the hotel was easy and quick, and as soon as we got to the Cebu airport the driver was already there waiting to take us to the place. The entire property was a pleasant surprise--the rooms were clean and spacious, with a roomy toilet and bath, and with a well-kept garden and small beachfront.
A trip to the next town to see and swim in Kawasan falls and a snorkeling trip to Pescador Island were both part of the package, and they were both experiences we would like to have again. Snorkeling at Pescador Island is comparable to some of the best reefs in the Philippines--including Apo Is. and El Nido. (Plus we got to see sea turtles and dolphins on the trip back to the resort!)
Best of all, the staff was wonderful--helpful and kind but not obtrusive. The food was also great! When we extended our stay, we requested that they just surprise us during meals as long as they stay within our budget, and we were always surprised by the amount and quality of the food they gave us.
The only possible down side that I can see is that if you're the type that likes to socialize and meet different people while traveling, the resort is a few minutes away from Panagsama, where most of the other resorts/hotels/hostels are. But the husband and I are introverts and wanted the time to really just unplug and unwind, and this was the perfect place to do it.
Note: we visited Moalboal during the off-season, which added to the quiet and peace. According to a boatman I talked to, peak season is from December-March.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bloodsugar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here with another couple in one of the family rooms over the 2012 holidays and New Years. The women who work here are so hardworking and friendly. The food was really good - try the garlic rice! A walk to Panagsama with restaurants, bars, shops, and dive centers is about 20 minutes, but we thought the snorkeling just off the hotel property was really great too. The hotel is set off the main road through some local neighborhoods and we had some really friendly encounters with the Filipinos who live there, especially the children.

Only drawback was the lack of cash available, and we had to take a field trip into Carcar to get some money. But that in itself was an adventure - a word of advice would be to withdraw enough cash at the airport.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FlyerX
Pontypridd, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2012

It seems on arrival as if you’re way out of town in a remote area, but that would be incorrect. When you arrive you are at an excellent small hotel. It is situated on the rocks on the sea edge at Basdiot , Moalboal. A small sand beach is in front of the resort but for sunbathing and lounging you’d use the excellent area between the pool and the boundary of the property. Swimming off the beach is possible. It is rocky and shallow with some sea urchins for the first 20 or 40 metres depending on tide so boots, fins or jelly shoes are really needed. Then you only need to swim another 30 metres or so to a house reef that stretches for hundreds of metres in either direction. Visibility is excellent for snorkelling and then the reef drops away into the deep blue which is used by divers who stop at this location occasionally. I just hope that people continue to get their feet off the floor as soon as possible when snorkelling here as it is really great and I’d hate to see it damaged by people whose idea of underwater viewing is walking ! That house reef so close was a surprise to me. As for the hotel itself its a little gem. Rooms are large and spotlessly clean, the room itself, bedclothes, towels etc. Air con, fridge, flat screen tv, all you would expect of a more expensive establishment. The front rooms look over the pool out to sea, a great spot. Food here is very good and prices for all food and drinks on a par with what you would pay in Pangasama, and here its quieter with better views than most restaurants in the town. Order from the menu but check for specials to make sure they have them. They even have a choice of white and red wines around 650P per bottle. If you want to go to Pangasama for a change of scenery or pace for some evenings its about a 20 min walk through the local village, just mostly nipa huts with friendly people who’ll always say hello as you walk past. Parts aren’t well lit and a flashlight will be needed. Actually at the start of this walk no more than 50 metres from the hotel is a small shop where you can buy snacks, beers, soft drinks or rum to go with it. Only a small shop with a barred window opening, with usually no one there, but shout out and someone will come. The staff here are friendly, helpful and professional. If you don’t fancy the walk to Pangasama you can be driven in for 150P each way ( not per person) or daytime visit White Beach for 250P each way ( there’s nothing there for an evening visit). All in all an excellent find which I’d certainly use again if ever in this area.

Room Tip: first row rooms have bext few, but the others also have nice outlook
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KS&HC
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed October 23, 2011

I was a solo diver traveling to Moalboal mainly for diving. As I have stayed in other dive resorts in the Philippines, I know how they're like - basic, shower is weak, sometimes no hot water, ants everywhere etc. I found this resort from a booking website and was impressed by the pictures there. From the pictures, the resort looked spacious, new and well-maintained. Price is reasonable inclusive of breakfast. I decided to give it a go. Upon arrival there at 7 am, the lady there confirmed my identity and led me to my room right away. They might have known that I had taken a midnight flight and 2.5 hour taxi to get there.... Very considerate, no question asked, just let me sleep.

Environment is excellent - spacious, clean, lots of beautifully manicured plants, a small pool, sea facing lounges to watch sunset. One can feel the effort and the serious attitude of the owner Lucy in the maintenance of details like painting of pavement & flower bed etc.

The owner Lucy is very friendly and sincere. You need to talk and communicate with her to feel it. Since the hotel is 5 mins by car from the dive shop, Lucy offered to send me there and pick me up everyday - to and from dive & to and from dinner. When she's not there, her driver will take over. All her staff members are so nice and friendly, a big contrast with those poker-faced front desk officer in a so-called 4-star hotel opposite to the airport where I am currently staying.

They have breakfast ready every morning at 0645 hrs - quite a big Filipino breakfast for me - nothing fancy but good enough to start the day. Steam fish is good. They have red wine too.

Due to an accident, I was forced to curtail my stay. It's such a shame but I'm glad I had been there. Everything is so impressive, nothing bad to say about this beautiful place and the ladies who work there. I heard other divers complaining their "delux stinky sea view dive resort". I showed them photos of my big clean tidy room and the vicinity. They all said it's nice.... With the free lift, I am happy to stay away from the crowd.... Slept like a baby every night... Dive resorts usually only provide a thin flat sheet... Here they provide a blanket... Warm, quiet and dark at night... Zzzzzzzz

Hmm... I would really like to go back one day, but diving in Moalboal is just.....

Yes, I have photos to share but looks like iPad doesn't work well with uploading here... Will add photos after returning home.

Room Tip: I stayed in room no. 6. One big bed and a small one... More than enough for me.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank aacc3829
Greve, Denmark
Reviewed January 3, 2011

We were at this hotel in December Christmas 2010.
This hotel is writing away from the town, but it no problem, but just ask the staff to get you a trick, it costs 15 pesos per person, but otherwise rent a small scooter, so you can to inside in the city at 5 min.
Resorted is nicely clean and well kept, the food is good, there is breakfast included in price
The staff is friendly and very helpful.
There a very cheap in Moalmboal.
We had a really good week here

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple