Looking for a break from hotel-business and a nice trip in early July '12 with my wife, we booked a full week's accommodation and activities with Tipolo Beach resort and Action Adventure.
The simple and clean accommodation was exactly what we wanted and expected. Tipolo's website does not over-promise - - I found it spot-on. The room has AC, which we had to actually switch off during the night because it got too cold (I don't know what other travelers are whining about). The little safe-deposit box and the fridge were also of great use and the bathroom was fine (sink, toilet, shower...what else do you want?).
To our pleasant surprise, our room was cleaned daily (!) and if we needed more toilet paper or towels, both were a 20 meter walk to collect from the 'reception' without hassle. Rachel and the rest of the girls (and a couple of boys) who do the cleaning, cooking, tidying, serving, accounting and all other odd-jobs around the resort are delightful. They are very friendly and down-to-earth. Everyone greets you cheerfully every morning and nothing was ever too much.
This is not an urban resort with five stars hanging on the front door...things just happen at a different pace. Once you switch your mind to this pace, everything just falls into place!
- the reef just outside the resort (you can walk straight over to it) is gorgeous - we snorkeled there about 5 times and never got bored... I thought this reef was even better than the one at (close-by) Pescador island, even though at Pescador you will have more chances to spot a turtle...
- Tipolo makes its own yoghurt, rye bread, pitta bread, pizza dough (and bakes them in their wood-fired oven), roasts its own coffee and if you have any special wishes,...nothing seems impossible - within reason and with prior notice (we even had a schnitzel-night - yum!).
- We did 4 of the Action Adventure activities (Canyoning, Trekking, Snorkeling and River-Climbing). ALL 4 were awesome; trekking was the hardest (it's quite a hike!) and River-Climbing the most breath-taking... Canyoning was the best adrenaline and Snorkeling the most rewarding (we spotted a school of dolphins and two sea-turtles!). You will need to bring a pair of good walking shoes (that can get wet) and don't forget to pack a uv-protection shirt for swimming... the sun gets quite strong at times. The guides are all very experienced and safety really does come first (ask for Mario - he is a gentleman and tarzan all rolled into one!)
- Cold beer in the evening after a day of activities...priceless!
Downside: it's a two and a half hour drive from Cebu airport... that's the only downside...
We hope to go back to Tipolo one day and find all of our new-found friends in good health and still going strong. It was a very memorable trip!
- Also Known As:
- Tipolo Beach Hotel Moalboal
- Tipolo Beach Resort Moalboal, Cebu Island