“better than average but not very good”

Tipolo Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 24 Moalboal B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 15, 2012

To start with, tripadvisor has average and very good as the next step, well it was better than average, but definitely not very good.

I traveled from Dumaguete to stay for 3 nights at Tipolo Resort with my girl, to meet some friends coming down from Luzon.

Booking:
painless via a good online system, paid rooms with paypal.

check in:
name, signature, ... done

rooms:
basic with bamboo furniture, thin mattress, aircon (not too loud), hot water, Ref, WiFi worked good. Safe is there, and OK for wallet, my Canon DSLR did not fit into it, clean, let's say "functional".
Room got cleaned automatically, even we stood there one day 'til after lunch. Had different experience in many hotels and inn's all-over the Philippines.
some house-rules are strange at best, (to be polite). Meeting a friend on a vacation is nothing unusual and has nothing to do with sex-tourism.
Ref is well stocked and not overpriced like in many places.

Beach:
There is no beach. the Beach Resort is on a small cliff with steps down to the water and a micro-spot of sand at low tide.

Resort:
small, but nice garden, each room has a veranda for relaxing and/or smoking.

Staff:
friendly and helpful, a bit on the "relaxed side", not that aware of customers in the restaurant, when having chikka in the back of the kitchen. However, if you get their attention, they were professional and helpful.

Food at Restaurant:
The "Last Filling Station" belongs somehow to the resort. The breakfast is a bit on the weak scale, lunch, snacks and dinner are really really good. (if all ingredients are there, what seems to be a little bit an issue), like 8:30 am no rice cooked for filipino breakfast, or no fish, even it is sold everywhere.
The sandwiches, Pita Bread, Pizza, Tom Yam soup, etc were simply delicious. Value for money other than breakfast: Top Notch !

check out:
fast and effective.

Overall:
A nice place in good location, good for couples to relax or explore. Would I go there again? To be honest, I am not sure as we roamed around in Moalboal and saw some places for the same rates, which I liked a bit more.

Having some beds in storage might also help, to be a bit more flexible when a couple wants a double bed. queen size bamboo bed 1200 - 1500 peso is not a that expensive purchase to increase guest service.

I definitely would go back for food, a beer or two and to say hello.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rhoody

Reviewed November 17, 2011

Tipolo Beach Resort is a really good place to stay in MoalBoal! The rooms are clean and comfortable, with spacious balcony and seaview. The restaurant is really good, and the adventure tour operator attached to the resort is so convenient!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Maelys L
Reviewed November 10, 2011

simple but elegant place-nice seaview rooms good price and restaurant-staff generally helpful
best part was snorkelling to the reef from the garden drop-however last day slightly spoiled by a certain european man staying next door with 3-4 thai girls who he proceeded to take photos
by the pier above a glorious sunrise-we thought it all rather dodgy-anyway who are we to judge

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank hena27
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This is a great place to stay in Moalboal. We are from NZ but are working in Cebu and have stayed here a couple of times before. We've just returned from a 3 day weekend there where we took friends from NZ and England. Everybody loved it. The resort is eco-friendly, set in a lovely garden setting perched on the cliff, with cute, clean cottage-style accommodation. The owners are very personable and helpful, adventure tours can be organised through the attached Planet Action and the food is fantastic - fresh yoghurt, fruits, home-baked breads, wood-fired pizzas etc etc. Well-located at the edge of the little beach township. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank frewies
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I recently stayed at the Tipolo Resort for 3 nights mainly because of it's glowing reviews on trip advisor..Overall, as far as cleanliness, the restaurant, tours offered and location it was very good. However, one thing that surprised was what happened during my first night. I like to party a bit so I went out for a few beers and ended up meeting a girl and brought her back to my place. Little did I know their security man was going to harrass her and myself upon entering the resort. He flashed his flash light on us the whole time we walked from the entrance to my front door. Then, when we were inside, he proceeded to shine the flash light through both the cabins windows as he walked around it. He did this for about 5 minutes..I didn't know what was going on as it was my first night staying there and in the Philippines. The next morning my nightly companion's sandals were missing and it turned into an ordeal trying to figure out what happened to them as she was trying to leave. I spoke with one of the owners about this and she apologized for his behavior but that non-registered guests are not allowed to stay in the hotel. That's their policy. It's done for security reasons. I said to her that I understand the policy and will adhere to it for the rest of my stay but that it wasn't ever explained to me. I mean, for a place that I paid $40 a night for, I didn't expect to feel like I was being babysat. I want and expect some freeedom.
That being said, if you're single and plan to go out hunting like myself this is NOT the place for you. Otherwise, I can honestly say the other parts of this place held up to what was written about it. The river climb tour rocked, the brick-oven pizzas are tasty and Jochim was helpful on many occasions. I just felt it was important to share this story with any similar travelers like myself.
Cheers

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank skippyjones
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I'm the kind of traveler who looks for a bit more than just kicking back or enjoying local attractions, culture, food and the like. Although these things ARE important to me, I REALLY want to be able to integrate my passions into my holidays. Tipolo Beach Resort, Moalboal Cebu made that 125% possible with its Planet Action Adventure tours. While staying at the resort (a true value for money kind of place) I was able to engage in one my top interests, mountain biking, with Jochen, the husband of Jinky, the owner. He knows hundreds of single-trail rides that range from "easy going" to "extreme hard-core". The bikes available were top of the line and rental fees very reasonable. Jochen is a funny, straightforward, no-nonsense guy who is great fun to ride with, and very safety-conscious, as well as being highly familiar with the area and locals inhabiting it. Everywhere we went on a variety of rides, we were greeted and welcomed by the natives. His familiarity and knowledge of the locale can't be ignored, and is a big part of what made my experience enjoyable. Another highlight of my stay at Tipolo was the "river-climbing" adventure tour which was fantastic, absolutely one of the best adventures I have experienced while traveling. (See Planet Action Adventure) Tipolo Beach Resort is an excellent place to stay, with comfortable clean and affordable rooms perched on a ledge fronting the ocean, an extremely lovely and friendly staff, and not to forget, in my opinion the tasties food in Moalboal. Homemade pizza from a wood fired oven! Yu-mmmmmy! I will be back! Thanks "Boss" Jochen and Jinky! Hats off to you!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Gorex
Reviewed August 30, 2011

This was our 4th or 5th trip to Moalboal, which has really nice diving but not much else. We have not been there in years but like going there in June, as we did this year. Of course there are many changes, but what surprised us most was really the lack of changes or progress as well compared to other places that draw tourists in the Philippines. The main street is as dingy and uninviting as in the past. Most businesses there sit behind walls waiting for guests so they can charge them more than I have seen charged even on Boracay for simple food or drinks. Anyway, we will be back for the diving as there is nothing else there worth the trip. It’s not a place for sun worshippers as the beach is practically non existent and tourism has not caught up with Moalboal either with NO ATM machines etc. My husband commented, going to places with no ATM machines usually means nice native locations and value for money. Moalboal differs as it is not in this category and is overpriced.

We decided to stay at TIPOLO RESORT due to its rating on Trip Advisor. There are good things about the place and not so good things. Making a booking was easy with good communication, but they do not take credit cards so added steps had to be taken to advance pay. The owner is always around so one would expect good service and follow up on guest’s needs, as well as quality control. It’s a small place that overlooks the rocky beach and sea. Nice place to sit along their cliff line on a rock patio, but their lounging chairs were in dire need of cleaning. The Wi-Fi worked very well and that was a big plus.

The Tipolo restaurant serves tasty food and overall the hotel service is friendly and responsive. The rooms are an okay size and have safe deposits boxes, which is a must as most guests probably carry more money then they wish, as there are, as noted, no ATM’s nearby and Tipolo for some reason doesn’t take credit cards.

On the other side of things, we felt the room was not cleaned well. The bedding was never changed and you would think for $42 per night it would be changed daily or at least every other day, but that is not the case. Hotels that charge less in the Philippines change sheets more often. Once we did say something, it was changed but to our disappointment the so called clean sheets were disgustingly stained (see pictures). The floor appeared dirty, swept but no deep cleaning or mopping. There was a gritty feeling to it if you were barefoot, so we wore socks, which then showed dirt on them from the floor.

The shower has hot water. No hot water in the sink. The shower is an open style, meaning there is no divider between the shower and the rest of the C.R.. Floor gets wet in the bathroom, as does the toilet unless you keep the seat up. This is not a big deal for us, traveling in the Philippines, but the mix of wet bathroom floor and dirty bedroom floor added to the problem when one had wet feet and walking on the bedroom floor. It became a balancing act between them.

We heard the owner greet some guests as welcome to the #1 hotel in Moalboal. Surprised by that, we realized that many of the so called number one hotels on TripAdvisor seem to forget that the owners need to check on the rooms, not depend on staff to do it or problems will develop. And, for sure, not rest on their laurels as a number one hotel as that is a sure fire way to run into guests who find fault where fault may be overlooked otherwise. We just feel that the hotel rooms and bedding could have been in better condition and there was no quality control. We did not want to make a big issue out of it while there.

The simple bamboo bed in the room makes much noise if you do anything else besides sleep and the mattress is only 5 inch thick and foam. My husband, a big guy, was never comfortable on it. If you have back concerns, be aware of this. Window curtains are made of very light material and you can see thru them. For those who are light sensitive sleepers or have privacy concerns, this may be a problem.

Avoid Saturday nights; the place can be very noisy as there is a disco next door that lights up early. I think this is the only night though. There are places nearby that sell beer, drinks etc for better prices than from the Tipolo mini bar.

Overall, compared to other Moalboal properties that we visited, this place is about average, but has potential if someone would look at the rooms closer and make sure the small things are tended to. We may stay here again, and still recommend it, but it doesn’t jump out at us as one of those hotels that one can not wait to return to.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family