“Warm, friendly idyllic location with lots of good company and great service!”

The Blue Orchid Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Moalboal
Reviewed January 6, 2011

The Philippines had never really come up as a destination for me until recently when a friend recommended I give it go. The Blue Orchid Resort has an odd set of things going for it that I haven't really come across all in one place before - it is an incredibly welcoming place. The staff are really friendly and helpful and lend a family feel to the place just by how they are with eachother - this comes across nicely and gives the place a great atmosphere. The other travellers I met at the resort were all really nice, open and friendly people that seemed to be attracted to the same aspects that I was about the resort. You basically didn't get the usual drunken louts (the other resorts further up the beach had those) and we all spent a fair portion of our chill out time chatting at the tables beside the resort's canteen by the pool. I was also glad that I stayed there over New Years as this resort is well situated to see most of the fireworks displays from the other resorts whilst enjoying al fresco wine and food with all of the other guests. You can come here and not spend a penny until your bill at the end and the bill was less than I expected. It wouldn't be a balanced review if I didn't mention the mosquito's - bring repellent with factor of no less that 50 deet. I would also recommend doing the Kawasan falls trip as its really close and gives you an awesome experience of the Philippines natural environment and some great opportunities to cool off under the falls and taking the plunge at various levels as you head up the mountain side for some cracking views. Diving and snorkelling are on tap everyday and Pescador, Tonga and various other spots were great for seeing tortoises, shoals of sardines and the full spectrum of marine life. I'm told that around March or April is the best time to see dolphins - I'm hopeful I will be able to make a return trip then. Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank MShraga78
There are newer reviews for The Blue Orchid Resort

Reviewed October 13, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Blue Orchid. The staff were very friendly, and the general manager was super nice and helpful. He even took us out for a night on the town. The resort is a bit out of the way, so you're kind of stuck there. There doesn't seem to be much in town either, excpet for a disco that kicks off only once a week. We were lucky enough to come on a Saturday and experience that, but there doesn't seem to be much other nightlife. It wouldn't be for people looking for an action-packed holiday (but it seems like it would be a great place for divers). But if you're looking to relax at a resort in a lovely setting, then it's the perfect choice. The pool was great, and the snorkelling was fantastic. The beach was decent - once the tide went out it tended to be a bit rocky. The rooms were cozy, clean and overlooking the sea. Oh, and they have a resident monkey and keep other wildlife that has been rescued on the grounds.

The only thing is that the Blue Orchid seemed quite pricey. It was the first place we stayed at in the Philippines so we didn't really have anything to compare it to, but when visited Bohol we stayed at a similar place with nicer rooms and better food that was half the price. Maybe Bohol is cheaper than Cebu? Despite that, I still think if you're visiting Moalboal and you're looking for a place to chillout, then the Blue Orchid is your best choice.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank diyab
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We decided to stay at the Blue Orchid due to the reviews on tripadvisor. I think this got our hopes up a bit. The room was huge with great views. It was a great way to get away from everything for awhile. The courtyard is very well done with several caged animals in a nice garden.

Now the downside. This is not really a resort. More like a very fancy B&B. There doesn't seem to be a real reception. Just tables by the kitchen and pool where guests and the staff hangout. Once you are there you are pretty much stuck there. There is not much choice about where you eat. The food is not bad though. The mosquitoes are not your normal ones, these are heavy duty countryside ones. You will need heavy cream as these guys eat you.

Overall, I think this would have been okay if we knew what we were getting when we booked, we didn't. Some of the reviews here seem to embelish the place quite a lot......you draw your own conclusions. May have also been better if the place was sold as a diving spot, not resort and diving spot.

• Stayed: September 2010
4  Thank nlb65
Reviewed July 5, 2010

We arrived at night, woke up the crystal clear waters. Everyone there made the stay special, and took great care of us. We spent many hours lazing around and having loads of laughs. Highly recommend this place!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Suganthi
Reviewed June 12, 2010

I stayed at the Blue Orchid on the strength of the favorable tripadvisor reviews, and I was not disappointed.

I travel to the Philippines frequently for business, and usually try to get in some diving on the weekends. Of the places I've been diving -- Batangas, Subic, Mactan, and now Moalboal -- the diving in Moalboal, in particular Pescador Island, was the best I've seen so far. Excellent visibility -- ~ 100 feet -- lots of marine life including an amazing school of sardines, large lion fish, 6' thresher shark. Very nice.

Even if you don't dive, it's a great place to stay. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Meals are generally taken somewhat communally, so it's a great way to get to know other people. Everything is nice, well maintained. The beach at the property is small but nice. Good snorkeling, and the house reef is also decent diving.

This place gets one of my highest recommendations: of all the places I've stayed in the Philippines, it's the only one that I would go back to on my own time and money!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank Reb_Barry
Reviewed June 12, 2010

We chose Blue Orchid based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and we
were not disappointed. The rooms were modern and clean and
just a few steps to the water. The owner Micheal and staff could
not have been more helpful and the food was some of the best we
have ever tasted at a resort. The resort is gifted with stunning
views and low tide allowed us to walk to explore other beaches. We
would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank purplealientraveller
Reviewed May 15, 2010

The Blue Orchid is relaxing and friendly with opportunities to dive off the house reef or take a boat out to numerous dive spots.I dived and my wife snorkelled and lay in the sun, fantastic holiday for us both. I was a fairly inexperienced diver, and was well looked after by the manager who gave loads of advice and support and came with me on my dives offering excellent local knowledge. The diving is fantastic, with a stunning coral reef and great variety of marine life. The staff are very friendly and the service was excellent. We truly felt welcomed and were taken care of with constant smiles. Blue Orchid is in a beautiful location, the rooms all have views across the sea to the adjacent island of Negros and are comfortable and spacious. Has a great pool, well maintained grounds (with domesticated toucans and parakeets and even a monkey!) The hotel organised trips out to the nearby towns for sightseeing and restaurants, and to Kasawan Falls which was a great experience.This was our first time in the Philippines and due to the Blue Orchid, manager and staff, it will be the first of many visits. We'll be back to the Blue Orchid for our next holiday.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JANEANDCHRIS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moalboal
Tepanee Beach Resort
#2 of 7 in Moalboal
Cebu City Marriott Hotel
Cebu City Marriott Hotel
#5 of 91 in Cebu City

Been to The Blue Orchid Resort? Share your experiences!