The Blue Orchid Resort
Savedra Beach Resort(Moalboal)(Great Value!)
$26
  • Restaurant
$15
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Sun Xi Mountain Retreat(Cebu Island)(Great Value!)
$47
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
All reviewsthe managershoneymoon suitewhite beachkawasan fallsthe ownersardinessteve and michellefishwhale sharksthe kitchen stafflow tideother guestsoverlooking the oceancoral reefscuba divingrooms are largemarine sanctuary
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed at Blue Orchid Resort with my boyfriend for a long weekend (3 nights) and we had a great time.

The property:
- It was smaller than I expected but it’s a beautiful property right by the sea. Feels local and close to nature.
- Room is basic but clean and well-kept. Gorgeous views of the ocean from just outside the room (but the views from the ground floor rooms are obstructed by shrubs)
- Pool is a decent size and a nice addition to a small resort. Refreshing for a midday dip.
- The hotel beach is not really a beach, but rather a sandy, man-made platform. Snorkelling off the resort is good but not exceptional in my opinion. There’s lot of corals and small fish but during high-tide, a lot of junk (coconut shells, tree branches, plastics...) gets washed up the shore. Recommend snorkeling only in low-tide.
- Spacious bathroom with piping hot water.

The diving:
- The dive centre is our highlight; it is very professionally-run. The dive master in charge, Dino, is extremely professional and committed to safety. I had a small problem on my first dive, I informed Dino and for the 2 dives that we did together, he was always checking on my air, staying close to me and making sure that I was ok. I was very impressed and felt very safe in his hands – nowhere else have I seen this level of attention to individual guests! (We’ve been diving all over Asia)
- However, the rental equipment is very worn out and my bf had a leaky regulator, which is something you wouldn’t want to worry about when diving.
- The boat crew was also very nice and ensured the dives went smoothly and took care of all the equipment.
- We did 2 dives in Pescador and Panagsama, which were throughoutly enjoyable and highly recommended.
- Also did the whale shark tour to Oslob, truly unforgettable experience and well worth it! It’s an early start (5AM) and our dive guide didn’t show up. Luckily they were able to find a replacement quickly.

Food & other services
- Excellent food at the restaurant, we loved the choices on the menu and the fresh juices were so delicious!
- Service can be a bit slow when busy so go early or late if you don’t want to wait.
- I’d save the trip to Panasagma and just opt for food at the resort. Personally think it’s better than most of the outside places and no bumpy tricycle ride.
- Massage at the little cabana was excellent and highly recommended (PHP500 for 1 hour!), try it at least once!
- Wifi only at a sitting area which was quite inconvenient. Given there's no TV in the room, I'd have expected to have resort-wide wifi coverage.
- The billing system is slightly haphazard, you don’t sign anything and only get the bill at the end. We kept tabs on our phones and were able to check again the bill (there were small mistakes out of oversight).

Check-out
- It’s a cash only resort which they told us before but I must have forgotten. It wouldn’t hurt to remind and emphasize to each guest again before arrival. We didn’t have enough cash and the ATM in town was broken. At the end we worked something out to settle the balance.

BIG thank you to all the staff for making this place so warm and welcoming, especially Ariel, Dino and all the kitchen staff. It’s a highly affordable place and you definitely get your money’s worth!

Tip: If the honeymoon suite is not occupied, try going up to the balcony on the top floor and enjoy the amazing sunset views.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the second floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sugarplumcici
Reviewed October 17, 2013

A big thank you to Ariel & staff at the Blue Orchid. We stayed for 4 nights last week & were delighted with our stay. We traveled as a family of 4 with 2 children aged 1 and 4. Our children were able to blend with the locals & feel very much at home. The pool was crystal clean & the snorkling was (of course) fabulous! The food was very good & reasonably priced. Don't worry about going into town (Moalboal) to find an eatery. We tried one night & were very disappointed. The whale sharks at Oslob were sensational... don't miss the opportunity if you are in this part of the world. We will return one day...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank WombatJack
Reviewed October 17, 2013

After a manic week working in Manila, the Blue Orchid was the perfect antidote.

I found the short flight and taxi transfer straightforward and enjoyed the view from the window as we wound through mountains and villages to the other side of the island. I tried not to laugh when the taxi driver tentatively said he thought it wasn't right for my boyfriend to have let his 26yr old girlfriend travel quite so far on her own.

Ariel & Judit were very kind not to tease me too much for doing absolutely nothing during my 5 day stay. In fact they were both very kind full stop - sharing beers and stories. I couldn't be persuaded to dive and enjoyed the peace of the deckchair beside the sea whilst the other guests spent the day out in the water. Saying that, on my first night I was the only guest and it was a complete luxury to feel like the hotel was just for me.

I'm afraid that despite the simple, but clean and spacious room, the comfortable bed, the friendly staff, the massage (in a thunderstorm!), the clear water, stunning snorkelling and peace and quiet, my favourite aspect of my stay was still waking up and strolling to breakfast (rather late) each morning for banana pancakes in the morning sun. Paradise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Isobel D
Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

Extremely friendly & accommodating staff & dive shop. They changed their dive schedule to accommodate my unscheduled one day stay which was fantastic. Idillicly positioned away from the bussle, meters away from a fantastic house reef which is awesome to snorkel.
Rooms are great, spacious & comfy if a little expensive but extremely clean, large mosquito nets & showers are wonderfully hot.
Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank WeeWanderer
Reviewed September 19, 2013

What an amazing stay we had at this place! We have travelled extensively and stayed in some hotels, however this hotel is definitely the best we have stayed in! Upon our arrival, we were blown away by the ambiance of the hotel, it was simply immaculate! The hotel, room, decoration all spectacular and so well kept! The room itself had a gorgeous view, was unbelievably clean and the bed was huge and comfortable!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple