“Very good diving here”

Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Moalboal
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed in Kasai, Moalboal for 5 days. Rooms were big and clean. Water was not strong, low pressure from the shower

Dive staff were very attentive to the divers. They could do all the cleaning up and washing off the salt from the gear if we were tired or lazy. The rinsing areas were big for everyone not feel crowded.

The dive boat had wide deck, different from other native boats I used for diving, with enough space for all divers and all equipment. Not messy on deck.

Many eels and soft coral around Pescadar.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Eun Ju P

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I came here with my longtime bestfriends and well a very good friend works here too and because of that we were given a pretty discount with room accommodation and diving, also because it was an off peak season. There were another guests occupying room. So it was us and them.

I say haven for divers because you don't get the hassle and bustle of the Panagsama area which can get loud if youbstaying near the disco or the tricycle area. I have been diving a few times in Moalboal and it is one of the great place in Cebu for diving.

Kasai offers that professional service. All diving gears are in superb condition thus the rates are about £28-35 per dive compared to the other dive shop which is £8-10 cheaper but then there's that great and complete diving equipment rental all in excellent conditions.

The rooms are clean and spacious. They do have kettles and cups. I don't think the water in the rooms are potable, complete with fridge, flatscreen TV.

If there are quite a few of you. . Like in our case we paid £3.50 for extra matress.

I must say this resort is not for locals budget. Even my husband wouldn't pay for £40 a night when you can get £25 with swimming pool elsewhere around Moalboal which is a bit on the downside.

The upside, they do have their own beach unlike the cheaper dive resort in Moalboal. Nice views of the sunset and if you are a morning person you might get lucky to see dolphins. There is a turtle in the area... you can get a glimpse of this turtle about midday when it surface for air.

Food is average. You get the normal resort food which isn't that exciting. They didn't wven have a wholemeal bread.. but it wasn't the end of the world as we only had our free breakfast but after looking at the menu, I recommend to eat elsewhere unless you feel lazy.

Over all I will go to this resort again and will recommend this.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank viaje_cebuana
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Kasai Dive Resort is just outside of Moalboal village (about 2 kms) - so too far to walk to any shops. The dive set up is very well run and the resort has its own jetty and large dive boat. The boat was one of the best we have been on in the Philippines so far. Even had a closed in toilet with paper!!!

The dive shop area is well laid out with plenty of space for cleaning and storing gear. Having said that the boat crews look after everything except for your wet suit and boots. Diving in the area is good with many sites only 5 to 10 min away. We even had a whale shark visit the dive group on a local dive.
If you want to garentee seeing whale sharks we highly recommend doing the Oslob day trip. (See note below)

The rooms at the resort are equally as good as the pictures on the internet. We went for the ocean view room which provided great sunset views.
The resort has nice grounds and a very large pool that became the afternoon drinks spot for us and our new dive buddies.

The staff at the restaurant are friendly and helpful but the food lets this resort down. The menu is unusual with limited healthy options and does not cater for vegetarians at all. (Example of unusual is the veg stir fry with noodles was carrots cabbage and Italian Spagetti!) The one highlight was I arranged a separate purchase of a crab from the market that was steamed and served in a chilli sauce.

Oslob Day trip - we are environmentalists and very compassionate animal lovers (wife is a vego) so we had our reservations about a touristy whale shark feeding experience!! We were very pleasantly surprised and came way thinking it provided an excellent opportunity for people who would not normally get to experience these magnificent animals close up to be emotionally 'moved' by the experience. Such experiences can be the catalyst that encourage people to become marine ambassadors. This is vital in regions were care for the environment is not necessarily top of mind. It also provides great economic opportunities for an area that is quite poor.

Boats are issued time slots to limit the number of people in the water at one time (but there were still loads of people at a time!). Surprisingly the snorkellors were very well managed and if a swimmer gets too close a 'minder' pushed them away. We were also surprised to see that the snorkellors were actively trying to keep the required distance from the sharks - the fact that the sharks kept coming to them made it difficult.

Finally having had the privilege of a whale sharks visit us unexpectedly on a later dive trip we now fully appreciate that these sharks aren't like other sharks that fear interactions with humans - they are inquisitive playful animals. The animal to visit us circled our group, swam in between us, and came within inches. Being inches from a whale shark mouth is exciting and a little daunting!
So if you get the opportunity (and can spare the $$$ as it isn't cheap) it is one of life's must do experiences.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PJ-Scuba
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort, Moalboal, The Philippines, April 2013

Pictures are at: https://plus.google.com/photos/109740061014063007699/albums/5878263316674195153

We are older (65/76) experienced (900+ dives each) divers with quite a bit of Tropical Pacific and Caribbean dive experience based in Scottsdale, Arizona. We find ourselves returning to Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort (this was our fourth visit) for several reasons. First, and foremost, the diving is excellent; as is the resort – with great service, accommodations, and food. In addition, it is fairly easy and inexpensive for us (we travel on Philippine Air out of Los Angeles to Manila with a connection to Cebu). The resort is 57 miles south of Cebu City on the Tanon Strait. The trip takes about 2-1/2 hours by car on somewhat twisty road through the mountains that gives us a chance to see the Philippine countryside and several good-sized cities (e.g. Alcantara, Ronda, Dumanjug, Carcar).

We have used Ultimate Dive Travel (ultimatedivetravel.com) for our dive travel arrangements since 2005 and once again on our 12th trip with them, we are thrilled with our service.

We love the people we have gotten to know at Kasai. Naming names is dangerous as I know I will forget someone (and every one of them makes our trip wonderful); but this is a resort where staff tends to stay and we look forward to seeing familiar faces year after year. From Michael and Lydia (general managers/owners) and their darling children to groundskeepers, housekeepers and compressor room staff (thank you Allan and Lindall for your great service), we appreciate what you do to make our trip great. Of course, we interact more regularly with the dive team and the kitchen/restaurant/bar staff. Bebe, Rhanz, Lynda, Giselle, Eddie, Pablo, Hermes made our pre-dinner drinks and our meals special. They are one of the reasons we return year after year.

This was our third year of diving with Tata, Felix, and Alex. Felix has been our primary dive master for three of our four years at Kasai, what a treat to see him each year and know that he knows exactly how we like to dive and what we want to see. It was great to see Chris again for the second year and I am so happy for Allan who is making the move from compressor room to dive master. A great new addition to the dive staff is Robert (from Sweden).

The diving is a good mix of reefs, walls, and “muck” diving. Speaking of the muck diving, we have been to Lembeh and Dumaguete and have seen almost everything we saw at those locations in Moalboal also. Most of the dives are drifts – so even if the current is stronger than usual, we don’t fight it. For me, the treat at the end of each dive is the shallow reef – sunlight shimmers on the water and the fish are colorful and abundant.

We spent 9 full days at the resort and made 28 dives. Water temperature was typically 82° F and generally very calm. I love to find and identify fish and other reef creatures. My buddy loves to take pictures. This trip was good for both of us. While not new to us, I loved seeing so many ornate ghost pipe fish, pygmy seahorses, a peacock mantis, frogfish (warty and giant), and several squat lobsters. A new fish for me was the female black striped angelfish, as was the highfin coralfish. My buddy saw and photographed a female pinstriped angelfish for the first time. We were both enchanted by the small red frogfish, an unusual color. The titan triggerfish were nesting and a couple made menacing passes at us. We saw and photographed three electric fileclams together in a crevice. We saw lots of nudibranchs (thanks to Tata and Felix). I particularly liked a new one for us, the yellow-tipped phyllodesium.

Special memories of our 2013 trip:

First evening at the resort, I was sitting at a desk just inside the camera room sipping a glass of red wine and looking at the fish id books as I had already seen some “new” critters on our afternoon shore dive, when Robert came in, introduced himself and offered me a wonderful piece of Swiss dark chocolate. Heaven!

Diving with the nine young men and women from China. They spoke a little English, we do not speak Chinese, but we all managed to communicate and have a wonderful time. They were bright, fun-loving, fashionably-dressed, diving with excellent gear, and totally “hooked” to their electronic gear (phones, cameras, etc.)

The beach party with a great mix of guests including the Chinese and divers from US, Australia, Philippines (who were at the resort as a part of a Saving Philippine Reefs dive survey). We had great food, entertainment from the staff, music, and dancing.

The blessing of the newly-constructed shrine for Our Lady of Manoag on her Feast Day (April 17). We really enjoyed this special Feast Day celebration with Michael, Lydia, their children, extended family, and Moalboal priest.

We had a close connection in Manila from our flight from LAX to the flight to Cebu. We were looking at the times and worrying about whether we would make it as we left the plane. Imagine our delight when we exited the jetway and were met by a person holding up our name and telling us that she would escort us to the next flight. Great service from Philippine Air.

Unfortunately our baggage did not make it to Cebu. We are unsure if it was delayed in the transfer in LA or in Manila. Either way, the Philippine Air baggage staff in Cebu did an excellent job of taking information and explaining the process. But the real “thank yous” go to the Kasai Village staff. They took over calling the airport for information and made all the arrangements for picking up our bags when they picked up the Chinese guests on Sunday. In the meantime, they sent someone to town to pick up essentials for one of us: shorts, flip flops, and swim trunks and had a local vendor stop by with additional t-shirts, dresses, and shorts for our selection. The rental equipment was great and we didn’t miss a dive – although we were certainly excited to be able to use our own gear when it arrived.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms have excellent view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Alabamasusana
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Where do I start? We had a group of 6 Divers
The Room - Luxury
The Resort - Magnificent - it is apparently 7 years old but looks and feels brand new.
The Service - Magic - from the first email to our departure the service was exemplary and the information flow was brilliant.
The Dive shop - Extremely well designed with personal gear storage areas, a brilliant camera room with plenty of charge facilities and personal space for a dozen or more divers at a time.
The dive boat - excellent
The Dive Crew - excellent, ask Ta Ta or Alex to find something in or out of the water, and it is done!
The Food - excellent, all meals
The Diving - Much better than I was led to believe - and the Sardines are back at Pescadore Island! This area has a lot more fish than Malapascua, especially Pescadore. Critter search dives were fruitful, with a plethora of weird and wonderful critters, especially on the night dives.
We were there 3 nights, a Mandarin fish night dive on arrival, 4 dives on the next day, and our final day a trip to Oslob, in other words we packed a lot in for our short stay, and Kasai accommodated our wishes with brilliance, and we had a Massage each, some of us one per day

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndrewH161
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We went on a 9 person family vacation to Cebu from February 22,2013 to March 3,2013 We are from Minnesota USA. Too bad this is such a 'long' flight or we would definetly return to this resort.
We are avid snorkelers and have been all over the world and you couldn't find better employees. They were the BEST. The coral was beautiful but different and the fish were colorful but small. Also saw turtles. You could snorkel right out in front of the resort. We even tried night snorkeling which we have never done in the past. It was interesting!!!!!!!! THANKS to Ceto we found a great snorkeling spot an hour and a half away by car. We went there twice. This is what we were looking for and would have gone there oftener if we would have found this 'spot' earlier. The colorful fish were big, the coral was beautiful, the water was calm and clear. They made us a lunch on a white sand disapearing beach. Couldn't have been better. We went on a Family style accommodation for meals which were very good. They even gave us our son's birthday dinner on the beach. He will never forget it!!!!!!!! We also went on a raft under the Kawasan Falls. We stayed in the Seaview rooms. We also used there really nice pool.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank 219mary
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We booked very last minute during the Chinese New Year holiday.
Staff is very friendly and helpful from the moment you email them to the departure.

Pretty resort with a well-kept and colourful garden. I only feel sorry for the frangipani tree bare of flowers that they harvest to make welcome necklace :((
I do prefer frangipani flowers on the tree where they diffuse a lovely perfume

The resort is by the sea - I highly recommend the seaview rooms - with no neighbour and completely tucked away from the village, so it feels quite exclusive and it's really quiet/relaxing. Booking a trike is easy to get to the village, which we did to dine.

Our room was good. Clean, big and with a comfortable bed although some details are really basic - especially in the bathroom toilet flush can be painful, control of the shower temperature a bit tricky and no hook or rack to hang clothes.
Sounds a bit silly but they do put so much care in some area, e.g. flowers on the bed and a hand-written personalised welcome note - I'd actually rather have some stuff to hang my clothes!

Diving centre is 5 stars and is worth every penny. Equipment is in top condition (I hate when the wetsuit looks and feels over-worn); the resort has a private pier and boat. The diving crew is brilliant, our dive master was Cris, and everything's made to be effortless. They bring the tanks to the boat, I never had to carry around anything - that's true holiday :)
The house reef is very nice and I regret we did not go night diving.
On our last day, we were flying at night so we went snorkelling instead - no disappointment at all, there is so much to see at less than 3 metres.

Free 15 min massage was great and I wanted to book a full one before leaving but unfortunately there was no spot available.

Food is THE huge improvement that needs to be made - and why I cannot give a 5/5 review. The only dish that was good was the grilled seafood kebab. The rest was uninteresting at best...
Breakfast is OK, a bit on the boring side.

Note that WIFI only works near the reception area.

How to get there: they use a cab company that charges PHP4000 one way - PHP8000 return to Cebu airport. Instead, we took a taxi at the airport and paid PHP2500. The same driver came to pick us up on our way back for the same price. He was super nice and reliable, so here's his number: +63 943 566 3196
I hope he won't mind me putting it online.

I'm glad we did not stay in the village. It's very cramped, not as green as Kasai and more crowded-touristy. If we ever return to Moalboal, I would definitely go back to Kasai.

Room Tip: We were happy with our sea view room, the nearest to the diving centre
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple