Kasai Dive Resort is just outside of Moalboal village (about 2 kms) - so too far to walk to any shops. The dive set up is very well run and the resort has its own jetty and large dive boat. The boat was one of the best we have been on in the Philippines so far. Even had a closed in toilet with paper!!!
The dive shop area is well laid out with plenty of space for cleaning and storing gear. Having said that the boat crews look after everything except for your wet suit and boots. Diving in the area is good with many sites only 5 to 10 min away. We even had a whale shark visit the dive group on a local dive.
If you want to garentee seeing whale sharks we highly recommend doing the Oslob day trip. (See note below)
The rooms at the resort are equally as good as the pictures on the internet. We went for the ocean view room which provided great sunset views.
The resort has nice grounds and a very large pool that became the afternoon drinks spot for us and our new dive buddies.
The staff at the restaurant are friendly and helpful but the food lets this resort down. The menu is unusual with limited healthy options and does not cater for vegetarians at all. (Example of unusual is the veg stir fry with noodles was carrots cabbage and Italian Spagetti!) The one highlight was I arranged a separate purchase of a crab from the market that was steamed and served in a chilli sauce.
Oslob Day trip - we are environmentalists and very compassionate animal lovers (wife is a vego) so we had our reservations about a touristy whale shark feeding experience!! We were very pleasantly surprised and came way thinking it provided an excellent opportunity for people who would not normally get to experience these magnificent animals close up to be emotionally 'moved' by the experience. Such experiences can be the catalyst that encourage people to become marine ambassadors. This is vital in regions were care for the environment is not necessarily top of mind. It also provides great economic opportunities for an area that is quite poor.
Boats are issued time slots to limit the number of people in the water at one time (but there were still loads of people at a time!). Surprisingly the snorkellors were very well managed and if a swimmer gets too close a 'minder' pushed them away. We were also surprised to see that the snorkellors were actively trying to keep the required distance from the sharks - the fact that the sharks kept coming to them made it difficult.
Finally having had the privilege of a whale sharks visit us unexpectedly on a later dive trip we now fully appreciate that these sharks aren't like other sharks that fear interactions with humans - they are inquisitive playful animals. The animal to visit us circled our group, swam in between us, and came within inches. Being inches from a whale shark mouth is exciting and a little daunting!
So if you get the opportunity (and can spare the $$$ as it isn't cheap) it is one of life's must do experiences.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is perfectly suited for diving and other water sporting activities. On exciting excursions with jungle trips, cave exploring, motorcycle riding in the mountains, hill walking to the waterfalls and hot springs and much more, you will get to know the diversity of the amazing Island of Cebu. Alternatively, Kasai Village Resort is equally suited for romantics and those who just want to relax. We believe that YOU deserve to have a great and relaxing vacation with your family or friends. The friendly and luxurious atmosphere of the resort gives you the chance to get away from the everyday stress and get into island time. We will make our best to give you the holiday you deserve and dream of. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Kasai Village Dive And Spa Resort
- Kasai Village Dive Hotel Moalboal
- Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort Moalboal, Cebu Island