“Great Dive Location”

Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Moalboal
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Kasai Dive Resort is just outside of Moalboal village (about 2 kms) - so too far to walk to any shops. The dive set up is very well run and the resort has its own jetty and large dive boat. The boat was one of the best we have been on in the Philippines so far. Even had a closed in toilet with paper!!!

The dive shop area is well laid out with plenty of space for cleaning and storing gear. Having said that the boat crews look after everything except for your wet suit and boots. Diving in the area is good with many sites only 5 to 10 min away. We even had a whale shark visit the dive group on a local dive.
If you want to garentee seeing whale sharks we highly recommend doing the Oslob day trip. (See note below)

The rooms at the resort are equally as good as the pictures on the internet. We went for the ocean view room which provided great sunset views.
The resort has nice grounds and a very large pool that became the afternoon drinks spot for us and our new dive buddies.

The staff at the restaurant are friendly and helpful but the food lets this resort down. The menu is unusual with limited healthy options and does not cater for vegetarians at all. (Example of unusual is the veg stir fry with noodles was carrots cabbage and Italian Spagetti!) The one highlight was I arranged a separate purchase of a crab from the market that was steamed and served in a chilli sauce.

Oslob Day trip - we are environmentalists and very compassionate animal lovers (wife is a vego) so we had our reservations about a touristy whale shark feeding experience!! We were very pleasantly surprised and came way thinking it provided an excellent opportunity for people who would not normally get to experience these magnificent animals close up to be emotionally 'moved' by the experience. Such experiences can be the catalyst that encourage people to become marine ambassadors. This is vital in regions were care for the environment is not necessarily top of mind. It also provides great economic opportunities for an area that is quite poor.

Boats are issued time slots to limit the number of people in the water at one time (but there were still loads of people at a time!). Surprisingly the snorkellors were very well managed and if a swimmer gets too close a 'minder' pushed them away. We were also surprised to see that the snorkellors were actively trying to keep the required distance from the sharks - the fact that the sharks kept coming to them made it difficult.

Finally having had the privilege of a whale sharks visit us unexpectedly on a later dive trip we now fully appreciate that these sharks aren't like other sharks that fear interactions with humans - they are inquisitive playful animals. The animal to visit us circled our group, swam in between us, and came within inches. Being inches from a whale shark mouth is exciting and a little daunting!
So if you get the opportunity (and can spare the $$$ as it isn't cheap) it is one of life's must do experiences.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PJ-Scuba
There are newer reviews for Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort, Moalboal, The Philippines, April 2013

Pictures are at: https://plus.google.com/photos/109740061014063007699/albums/5878263316674195153

We are older (65/76) experienced (900+ dives each) divers with quite a bit of Tropical Pacific and Caribbean dive experience based in Scottsdale, Arizona. We find ourselves returning to Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort (this was our fourth visit) for several reasons. First, and foremost, the diving is excellent; as is the resort – with great service, accommodations, and food. In addition, it is fairly easy and inexpensive for us (we travel on Philippine Air out of Los Angeles to Manila with a connection to Cebu). The resort is 57 miles south of Cebu City on the Tanon Strait. The trip takes about 2-1/2 hours by car on somewhat twisty road through the mountains that gives us a chance to see the Philippine countryside and several good-sized cities (e.g. Alcantara, Ronda, Dumanjug, Carcar).

We have used Ultimate Dive Travel (ultimatedivetravel.com) for our dive travel arrangements since 2005 and once again on our 12th trip with them, we are thrilled with our service.

We love the people we have gotten to know at Kasai. Naming names is dangerous as I know I will forget someone (and every one of them makes our trip wonderful); but this is a resort where staff tends to stay and we look forward to seeing familiar faces year after year. From Michael and Lydia (general managers/owners) and their darling children to groundskeepers, housekeepers and compressor room staff (thank you Allan and Lindall for your great service), we appreciate what you do to make our trip great. Of course, we interact more regularly with the dive team and the kitchen/restaurant/bar staff. Bebe, Rhanz, Lynda, Giselle, Eddie, Pablo, Hermes made our pre-dinner drinks and our meals special. They are one of the reasons we return year after year.

This was our third year of diving with Tata, Felix, and Alex. Felix has been our primary dive master for three of our four years at Kasai, what a treat to see him each year and know that he knows exactly how we like to dive and what we want to see. It was great to see Chris again for the second year and I am so happy for Allan who is making the move from compressor room to dive master. A great new addition to the dive staff is Robert (from Sweden).

The diving is a good mix of reefs, walls, and “muck” diving. Speaking of the muck diving, we have been to Lembeh and Dumaguete and have seen almost everything we saw at those locations in Moalboal also. Most of the dives are drifts – so even if the current is stronger than usual, we don’t fight it. For me, the treat at the end of each dive is the shallow reef – sunlight shimmers on the water and the fish are colorful and abundant.

We spent 9 full days at the resort and made 28 dives. Water temperature was typically 82° F and generally very calm. I love to find and identify fish and other reef creatures. My buddy loves to take pictures. This trip was good for both of us. While not new to us, I loved seeing so many ornate ghost pipe fish, pygmy seahorses, a peacock mantis, frogfish (warty and giant), and several squat lobsters. A new fish for me was the female black striped angelfish, as was the highfin coralfish. My buddy saw and photographed a female pinstriped angelfish for the first time. We were both enchanted by the small red frogfish, an unusual color. The titan triggerfish were nesting and a couple made menacing passes at us. We saw and photographed three electric fileclams together in a crevice. We saw lots of nudibranchs (thanks to Tata and Felix). I particularly liked a new one for us, the yellow-tipped phyllodesium.

Special memories of our 2013 trip:

First evening at the resort, I was sitting at a desk just inside the camera room sipping a glass of red wine and looking at the fish id books as I had already seen some “new” critters on our afternoon shore dive, when Robert came in, introduced himself and offered me a wonderful piece of Swiss dark chocolate. Heaven!

Diving with the nine young men and women from China. They spoke a little English, we do not speak Chinese, but we all managed to communicate and have a wonderful time. They were bright, fun-loving, fashionably-dressed, diving with excellent gear, and totally “hooked” to their electronic gear (phones, cameras, etc.)

The beach party with a great mix of guests including the Chinese and divers from US, Australia, Philippines (who were at the resort as a part of a Saving Philippine Reefs dive survey). We had great food, entertainment from the staff, music, and dancing.

The blessing of the newly-constructed shrine for Our Lady of Manoag on her Feast Day (April 17). We really enjoyed this special Feast Day celebration with Michael, Lydia, their children, extended family, and Moalboal priest.

We had a close connection in Manila from our flight from LAX to the flight to Cebu. We were looking at the times and worrying about whether we would make it as we left the plane. Imagine our delight when we exited the jetway and were met by a person holding up our name and telling us that she would escort us to the next flight. Great service from Philippine Air.

Unfortunately our baggage did not make it to Cebu. We are unsure if it was delayed in the transfer in LA or in Manila. Either way, the Philippine Air baggage staff in Cebu did an excellent job of taking information and explaining the process. But the real “thank yous” go to the Kasai Village staff. They took over calling the airport for information and made all the arrangements for picking up our bags when they picked up the Chinese guests on Sunday. In the meantime, they sent someone to town to pick up essentials for one of us: shorts, flip flops, and swim trunks and had a local vendor stop by with additional t-shirts, dresses, and shorts for our selection. The rental equipment was great and we didn’t miss a dive – although we were certainly excited to be able to use our own gear when it arrived.

Room Tip: Oceanview rooms have excellent view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Alabamasusana
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Where do I start? We had a group of 6 Divers
The Room - Luxury
The Resort - Magnificent - it is apparently 7 years old but looks and feels brand new.
The Service - Magic - from the first email to our departure the service was exemplary and the information flow was brilliant.
The Dive shop - Extremely well designed with personal gear storage areas, a brilliant camera room with plenty of charge facilities and personal space for a dozen or more divers at a time.
The dive boat - excellent
The Dive Crew - excellent, ask Ta Ta or Alex to find something in or out of the water, and it is done!
The Food - excellent, all meals
The Diving - Much better than I was led to believe - and the Sardines are back at Pescadore Island! This area has a lot more fish than Malapascua, especially Pescadore. Critter search dives were fruitful, with a plethora of weird and wonderful critters, especially on the night dives.
We were there 3 nights, a Mandarin fish night dive on arrival, 4 dives on the next day, and our final day a trip to Oslob, in other words we packed a lot in for our short stay, and Kasai accommodated our wishes with brilliance, and we had a Massage each, some of us one per day

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank AndrewH161
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We went on a 9 person family vacation to Cebu from February 22,2013 to March 3,2013 We are from Minnesota USA. Too bad this is such a 'long' flight or we would definetly return to this resort.
We are avid snorkelers and have been all over the world and you couldn't find better employees. They were the BEST. The coral was beautiful but different and the fish were colorful but small. Also saw turtles. You could snorkel right out in front of the resort. We even tried night snorkeling which we have never done in the past. It was interesting!!!!!!!! THANKS to Ceto we found a great snorkeling spot an hour and a half away by car. We went there twice. This is what we were looking for and would have gone there oftener if we would have found this 'spot' earlier. The colorful fish were big, the coral was beautiful, the water was calm and clear. They made us a lunch on a white sand disapearing beach. Couldn't have been better. We went on a Family style accommodation for meals which were very good. They even gave us our son's birthday dinner on the beach. He will never forget it!!!!!!!! We also went on a raft under the Kawasan Falls. We stayed in the Seaview rooms. We also used there really nice pool.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank 219mary
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We booked very last minute during the Chinese New Year holiday.
Staff is very friendly and helpful from the moment you email them to the departure.

Pretty resort with a well-kept and colourful garden. I only feel sorry for the frangipani tree bare of flowers that they harvest to make welcome necklace :((
I do prefer frangipani flowers on the tree where they diffuse a lovely perfume

The resort is by the sea - I highly recommend the seaview rooms - with no neighbour and completely tucked away from the village, so it feels quite exclusive and it's really quiet/relaxing. Booking a trike is easy to get to the village, which we did to dine.

Our room was good. Clean, big and with a comfortable bed although some details are really basic - especially in the bathroom toilet flush can be painful, control of the shower temperature a bit tricky and no hook or rack to hang clothes.
Sounds a bit silly but they do put so much care in some area, e.g. flowers on the bed and a hand-written personalised welcome note - I'd actually rather have some stuff to hang my clothes!

Diving centre is 5 stars and is worth every penny. Equipment is in top condition (I hate when the wetsuit looks and feels over-worn); the resort has a private pier and boat. The diving crew is brilliant, our dive master was Cris, and everything's made to be effortless. They bring the tanks to the boat, I never had to carry around anything - that's true holiday :)
The house reef is very nice and I regret we did not go night diving.
On our last day, we were flying at night so we went snorkelling instead - no disappointment at all, there is so much to see at less than 3 metres.

Free 15 min massage was great and I wanted to book a full one before leaving but unfortunately there was no spot available.

Food is THE huge improvement that needs to be made - and why I cannot give a 5/5 review. The only dish that was good was the grilled seafood kebab. The rest was uninteresting at best...
Breakfast is OK, a bit on the boring side.

Note that WIFI only works near the reception area.

How to get there: they use a cab company that charges PHP4000 one way - PHP8000 return to Cebu airport. Instead, we took a taxi at the airport and paid PHP2500. The same driver came to pick us up on our way back for the same price. He was super nice and reliable, so here's his number: +63 943 566 3196
I hope he won't mind me putting it online.

I'm glad we did not stay in the village. It's very cramped, not as green as Kasai and more crowded-touristy. If we ever return to Moalboal, I would definitely go back to Kasai.

Room Tip: We were happy with our sea view room, the nearest to the diving centre
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FoodistaOntheGo
Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was the closest we’ve ever come to being whacked by a major typhoon/hurricane. Typhoon Bopha was originally forecast to go right over our resort at a minimum of category 2. It hit Mindanao, to the East of us, with category 5 winds, causing mudslides and much destruction, with over 1000 lives eventually lost. Then it started taking a more southerly route, so by the time it hit Cebu we only felt the outer bands of wind and rain. Good thing, otherwise we would have been literally blown away. We re-packed suitcases for a quick move and spent the evening of Bopha’s arrival huddled together in the office, eating dinner and watching bad movies, with plans to hunker down in the relative safety of the camera room if necessary. This was our third attempt to find diving in the Philippines that we would head home saying “this was a great trip”, and this was it, in spite of Bopha.

I can’t pass up an anemone fish without taking its picture, and Copton Point had plenty. The terrain flattened out at 66 feet where a small plane wreck rested, with a large turtle hanging out under its fuselage. From there we worked our way toward and up the slope seeing some of the hundreds of six inch swimming pipefish that abound throughout the area. Although the diving is similar all along the wall, each area also has its own special characteristics. During the 10 days, besides hundreds of pipefish and anemonefish, there were sea snakes, many turtles, several ghost pipefish, a variety of frogfish, schooling squid, dozens of nudibranchs, an occasional sea moth and devilfish, pygmy seahorses, and hundreds of blind shrimp gobies. Although I didn’t see any sharks, I did spot one large bumphead parrotfish below me, and whale sharks are occasionally seen in the area. At the end of many dives I spent 15 or 20 minutes in at the top of the wall, often in less than 10 feet of water, spying small crabs and nudibranchs. Along with the wide variety of critters, the hard and soft corals were healthy. At Savedre Marine Sanctuary were dozens of large sea fans, some at least 8 feet tall. We did a couple dives at Pescador Island, famed for its schools of sardines, but they were gone, that area was crowded with dive boats, and we liked the diving on the main island better.

Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort is a 3-5 hour van ride, depending on traffic, from Cebu City. Bill and I flew 14 hours to Hong Kong from San Francisco on United . After spending a night at the fine Regal Airport Hotel, we flew 2 ½ hours on Cathay Pacific to Cebu City. Kasai Village is off the beaten track and separate from the other resorts in the area, so it’s more private. We were greeted by a large welcome sign, and offered delicious mango drinks. Kasai is fairly new and still under construction, although most of the important stuff is finished. Our ocean front room, one of nine, was spacious, with a king bed, 2 night stands, desk, couch, wardrobe, ceiling fan, air conditioning, and 2 umbrellas. The roomy bathroom had a huge shower. There wasn’t counter space around the sink, but the wire shelving unit made up for that. The shower had instant heat with two settings; it worked great unless there were more than a couple people taking showers—then the gravity water pressure was so low there wasn’t enough flow to start the hot water. A pump is on order to fix the problem. The mattresses were the hardest I’ve ever slept on and my hips were sore by the end of our 10 day trip. The pillows were also extremely firm, which I got used to eventually. The rooms had a large ocean-view patio with a table and two chairs plus clotheslines. The 4 pool view rooms were a bit smaller with small patios facing the pool,which looked cool and inviting, although I never had time to try it.

The staff was wonderful, always smiling and quickly addressing any problems that could be solved. Because there were only 4-6 guests most of the time, meals were served individually; for larger groups they serve buffet style meals. We were on a meal package, so breakfasts included anything from the menu, including eggs, mango and banana pancakes, fruit, and toast, but no cereal. The pancakes and Spanish omelet were particularly tasty. Lunch could include an appetizer, one of several sandwiches, or a smaller version of a dinner. Salad and soup were always served first, and we had some tasty desserts. Dinners also included soup and salad, with a choice of chicken, beef, prawns, squid, or fish, usually grilled, along with rice and/or vegetables, and fruit for dessert. There was definitely no need for in-between meal snacks.
The bar was next to the dining area, and had a sandy floor. The potent local Red Horse beer was popular. Meals were usually served upstairs, although once the windows were boarded up for the approaching typhoon we ate one meal in the office and another day in the lower level of the dining hall, where the lone television and pool table reside. There’s a beach front area between the ocean front rooms and the water, but no actual beach. The shoreline is very rocky and when the tide is out, the ocean bottom is exposed quite a ways out. This is when the locals wade and snorkel through the area with buckets, looking for anything that is edible. We saw no stingrays, octopus, or lobsters at all during our 10 day trip and divemaster Tata said they are all gone.

Three boat dives a day plus unlimited shore diving is advertised; in reality we had time to do three dives a day total because each dive was so long. The dives were done from a roomy banca, designed from the ground up for diving. It had a large covered area, dry shelves, and back-to-back tank racks in the middle. The bow had the typical long nose on it, which we stepped onto from the steps leading from the dock to the water; it got a bit tricky if it was choppy. We left the dock for the 2 morning dives at 8:30 or 9:00am after a leisurely breakfast; travel time was 30 seconds if we dove the house wall, and up to 20 minutes out to Pescador Island. Most of the diving was wall/steep slope diving, starting deep, then working up to the top of the wall as shallow as 4 feet by the end of the dive. Dives lasted about 70 minutes in 82 degree water, and I did not get chilled in my worn-out 5mm suit. Surface intervals were one hour, when we were served water, hot tea or coffee, fruit, and snack crackers. Most of the dives were slow drift dives with minimal current. The afternoon boat dive went out at 3pm, which felt a bit rushed sometimes, as we didn’t get back from the morning dives until about 1:00, and lunches were not real quick. Three days we skipped the afternoon dive and opted for dusk/night dives instead. They have a small Mandarin fish area, which was a bust the first night, but the second night was absolutely awesome, the Mandarins coming up and staying in the water column longer than I had ever seen. The night diving was some of the best I’ve ever done, with non-stop action—decorator crabs, cuttlefish, thousands of shrimp, congregating pipefish, hermit crabs, etc., never going below 35 feet. One night we started off with a dusk dive on Kasai wall, stopped off to watch the Mandarins at sunset, then finished off with a night dive, for a total of 105 minutes. Rules are no diving alone and no diving at night without a guide. I don’t know if these are their normal dive times, we had a small group, or they just liked us, but we were in dive heaven! We used 32% Nitrox on all dives.

Kasai had the most impressive camera room and dive storage areas I’ve ever seen. The camera room had about 15 separate work areas, each with several electrical outlets and converter. The room had a fan but not air conditioning. The dive storage area was open-air, with lots of rinse tanks, water hoses, benches for sitting, hangars for BCs and wetsuits, a waist-level hanging rod, and a storage shelf above. The floor in both areas was covered in non-skid ventilated rubber matting.

The dive staff was outstanding. Everyone worked hard to provide us with the best possible dive experience. For every dive they loaded up the tanks and other equipment, rolled it down the long dock, laboriously transferred everything down the dock steps onto the boat, then did the reverse after our return. For the morning “Typhoon” dive, we were taken about 15 minutes by car to a protected cove. The staff carried all our gear down a hill into the water, helped us gear up, waited, met us after the dive, gave us snacks, re-loaded our gear, and drove us back to the resort. Someone was always happy to buddy up with a lone shore diver. They actually seemed eager to dive. Tata, our group’s personal guide, went way beyond the call of duty, and I hope he’s still at Kasai Village when we return. And we will return!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank UnderwaterDiva
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have stayed in several resorts in Moalboal and reviewed others, so far Kasai Village is my top choice and would return again. Here are key points:

Rooms: Rooms are very large and so is the bathroom and shower. I was traveling with family and the Seaview room we stayed in had very large floor space and the shower was very large - we were able to store all of our travel gear and live comfortably with the large room design plus the extra sofa-bed was great for kids and still had plenty of floor space with the sofa-bed deployed. Each of the seaview rooms has a patio which was very comfortable and peaceful overlooking the beach.

Dive Shop/Dive stations: this was a real bonus. the resort has a large dive station / dive gear area for each person to store dive gear / change / clean etc. for the entire trip. There was plenty of space for divers to set up all their gear for the trip. They also have a camera room to change / batteries, charge, etc.

Kitchen / Dining: The kitchen was impressive, top grade professional / commercial appliances plus the food was well prepared and has a nice presentation.

Dive staff: I had 5 dives with Felix and did 2 night dives with Chris. Felix was an excellent spotter as well as Chris who assisted me on Mandarin dive and also spotted a ghost pipefish. Felix was also good at spotting macro critters and also found several other photo opportunities such as a large puffer, several frogfish. While most resorts dive similar spots I think the house reef at Kasai is home to more large turtles. I've dove other house reefs and did not see any turtles on some but saw no less than 3 turtles on each house dive at the Kasai house reef and some really big ones on the night dive. The staff was also very accommodating and agreed to night dives whenever requested.

Resort Layout: the layout was simple and spaced out nicely. No hills or curves to get lost, designed very nicely.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mike G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moalboal
The Blue Orchid Resort
#1 of 24 in Moalboal
Badian Island Wellness Resort
Badian Island Wellness Resort
#1 of 2 in Badian Island

Been to Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!