“Great dive & stay at Kasai Village”

Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Moalboal
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We booked very last minute during the Chinese New Year holiday.
Staff is very friendly and helpful from the moment you email them to the departure.

Pretty resort with a well-kept and colourful garden. I only feel sorry for the frangipani tree bare of flowers that they harvest to make welcome necklace :((
I do prefer frangipani flowers on the tree where they diffuse a lovely perfume

The resort is by the sea - I highly recommend the seaview rooms - with no neighbour and completely tucked away from the village, so it feels quite exclusive and it's really quiet/relaxing. Booking a trike is easy to get to the village, which we did to dine.

Our room was good. Clean, big and with a comfortable bed although some details are really basic - especially in the bathroom toilet flush can be painful, control of the shower temperature a bit tricky and no hook or rack to hang clothes.
Sounds a bit silly but they do put so much care in some area, e.g. flowers on the bed and a hand-written personalised welcome note - I'd actually rather have some stuff to hang my clothes!

Diving centre is 5 stars and is worth every penny. Equipment is in top condition (I hate when the wetsuit looks and feels over-worn); the resort has a private pier and boat. The diving crew is brilliant, our dive master was Cris, and everything's made to be effortless. They bring the tanks to the boat, I never had to carry around anything - that's true holiday :)
The house reef is very nice and I regret we did not go night diving.
On our last day, we were flying at night so we went snorkelling instead - no disappointment at all, there is so much to see at less than 3 metres.

Free 15 min massage was great and I wanted to book a full one before leaving but unfortunately there was no spot available.

Food is THE huge improvement that needs to be made - and why I cannot give a 5/5 review. The only dish that was good was the grilled seafood kebab. The rest was uninteresting at best...
Breakfast is OK, a bit on the boring side.

Note that WIFI only works near the reception area.

How to get there: they use a cab company that charges PHP4000 one way - PHP8000 return to Cebu airport. Instead, we took a taxi at the airport and paid PHP2500. The same driver came to pick us up on our way back for the same price. He was super nice and reliable, so here's his number: +63 943 566 3196
I hope he won't mind me putting it online.

I'm glad we did not stay in the village. It's very cramped, not as green as Kasai and more crowded-touristy. If we ever return to Moalboal, I would definitely go back to Kasai.

Room Tip: We were happy with our sea view room, the nearest to the diving centre
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank FoodistaOntheGo

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This was the closest we’ve ever come to being whacked by a major typhoon/hurricane. Typhoon Bopha was originally forecast to go right over our resort at a minimum of category 2. It hit Mindanao, to the East of us, with category 5 winds, causing mudslides and much destruction, with over 1000 lives eventually lost. Then it started taking a more southerly route, so by the time it hit Cebu we only felt the outer bands of wind and rain. Good thing, otherwise we would have been literally blown away. We re-packed suitcases for a quick move and spent the evening of Bopha’s arrival huddled together in the office, eating dinner and watching bad movies, with plans to hunker down in the relative safety of the camera room if necessary. This was our third attempt to find diving in the Philippines that we would head home saying “this was a great trip”, and this was it, in spite of Bopha.

I can’t pass up an anemone fish without taking its picture, and Copton Point had plenty. The terrain flattened out at 66 feet where a small plane wreck rested, with a large turtle hanging out under its fuselage. From there we worked our way toward and up the slope seeing some of the hundreds of six inch swimming pipefish that abound throughout the area. Although the diving is similar all along the wall, each area also has its own special characteristics. During the 10 days, besides hundreds of pipefish and anemonefish, there were sea snakes, many turtles, several ghost pipefish, a variety of frogfish, schooling squid, dozens of nudibranchs, an occasional sea moth and devilfish, pygmy seahorses, and hundreds of blind shrimp gobies. Although I didn’t see any sharks, I did spot one large bumphead parrotfish below me, and whale sharks are occasionally seen in the area. At the end of many dives I spent 15 or 20 minutes in at the top of the wall, often in less than 10 feet of water, spying small crabs and nudibranchs. Along with the wide variety of critters, the hard and soft corals were healthy. At Savedre Marine Sanctuary were dozens of large sea fans, some at least 8 feet tall. We did a couple dives at Pescador Island, famed for its schools of sardines, but they were gone, that area was crowded with dive boats, and we liked the diving on the main island better.

Kasai Village Dive & Spa Resort is a 3-5 hour van ride, depending on traffic, from Cebu City. Bill and I flew 14 hours to Hong Kong from San Francisco on United . After spending a night at the fine Regal Airport Hotel, we flew 2 ½ hours on Cathay Pacific to Cebu City. Kasai Village is off the beaten track and separate from the other resorts in the area, so it’s more private. We were greeted by a large welcome sign, and offered delicious mango drinks. Kasai is fairly new and still under construction, although most of the important stuff is finished. Our ocean front room, one of nine, was spacious, with a king bed, 2 night stands, desk, couch, wardrobe, ceiling fan, air conditioning, and 2 umbrellas. The roomy bathroom had a huge shower. There wasn’t counter space around the sink, but the wire shelving unit made up for that. The shower had instant heat with two settings; it worked great unless there were more than a couple people taking showers—then the gravity water pressure was so low there wasn’t enough flow to start the hot water. A pump is on order to fix the problem. The mattresses were the hardest I’ve ever slept on and my hips were sore by the end of our 10 day trip. The pillows were also extremely firm, which I got used to eventually. The rooms had a large ocean-view patio with a table and two chairs plus clotheslines. The 4 pool view rooms were a bit smaller with small patios facing the pool,which looked cool and inviting, although I never had time to try it.

The staff was wonderful, always smiling and quickly addressing any problems that could be solved. Because there were only 4-6 guests most of the time, meals were served individually; for larger groups they serve buffet style meals. We were on a meal package, so breakfasts included anything from the menu, including eggs, mango and banana pancakes, fruit, and toast, but no cereal. The pancakes and Spanish omelet were particularly tasty. Lunch could include an appetizer, one of several sandwiches, or a smaller version of a dinner. Salad and soup were always served first, and we had some tasty desserts. Dinners also included soup and salad, with a choice of chicken, beef, prawns, squid, or fish, usually grilled, along with rice and/or vegetables, and fruit for dessert. There was definitely no need for in-between meal snacks.
The bar was next to the dining area, and had a sandy floor. The potent local Red Horse beer was popular. Meals were usually served upstairs, although once the windows were boarded up for the approaching typhoon we ate one meal in the office and another day in the lower level of the dining hall, where the lone television and pool table reside. There’s a beach front area between the ocean front rooms and the water, but no actual beach. The shoreline is very rocky and when the tide is out, the ocean bottom is exposed quite a ways out. This is when the locals wade and snorkel through the area with buckets, looking for anything that is edible. We saw no stingrays, octopus, or lobsters at all during our 10 day trip and divemaster Tata said they are all gone.

Three boat dives a day plus unlimited shore diving is advertised; in reality we had time to do three dives a day total because each dive was so long. The dives were done from a roomy banca, designed from the ground up for diving. It had a large covered area, dry shelves, and back-to-back tank racks in the middle. The bow had the typical long nose on it, which we stepped onto from the steps leading from the dock to the water; it got a bit tricky if it was choppy. We left the dock for the 2 morning dives at 8:30 or 9:00am after a leisurely breakfast; travel time was 30 seconds if we dove the house wall, and up to 20 minutes out to Pescador Island. Most of the diving was wall/steep slope diving, starting deep, then working up to the top of the wall as shallow as 4 feet by the end of the dive. Dives lasted about 70 minutes in 82 degree water, and I did not get chilled in my worn-out 5mm suit. Surface intervals were one hour, when we were served water, hot tea or coffee, fruit, and snack crackers. Most of the dives were slow drift dives with minimal current. The afternoon boat dive went out at 3pm, which felt a bit rushed sometimes, as we didn’t get back from the morning dives until about 1:00, and lunches were not real quick. Three days we skipped the afternoon dive and opted for dusk/night dives instead. They have a small Mandarin fish area, which was a bust the first night, but the second night was absolutely awesome, the Mandarins coming up and staying in the water column longer than I had ever seen. The night diving was some of the best I’ve ever done, with non-stop action—decorator crabs, cuttlefish, thousands of shrimp, congregating pipefish, hermit crabs, etc., never going below 35 feet. One night we started off with a dusk dive on Kasai wall, stopped off to watch the Mandarins at sunset, then finished off with a night dive, for a total of 105 minutes. Rules are no diving alone and no diving at night without a guide. I don’t know if these are their normal dive times, we had a small group, or they just liked us, but we were in dive heaven! We used 32% Nitrox on all dives.

Kasai had the most impressive camera room and dive storage areas I’ve ever seen. The camera room had about 15 separate work areas, each with several electrical outlets and converter. The room had a fan but not air conditioning. The dive storage area was open-air, with lots of rinse tanks, water hoses, benches for sitting, hangars for BCs and wetsuits, a waist-level hanging rod, and a storage shelf above. The floor in both areas was covered in non-skid ventilated rubber matting.

The dive staff was outstanding. Everyone worked hard to provide us with the best possible dive experience. For every dive they loaded up the tanks and other equipment, rolled it down the long dock, laboriously transferred everything down the dock steps onto the boat, then did the reverse after our return. For the morning “Typhoon” dive, we were taken about 15 minutes by car to a protected cove. The staff carried all our gear down a hill into the water, helped us gear up, waited, met us after the dive, gave us snacks, re-loaded our gear, and drove us back to the resort. Someone was always happy to buddy up with a lone shore diver. They actually seemed eager to dive. Tata, our group’s personal guide, went way beyond the call of duty, and I hope he’s still at Kasai Village when we return. And we will return!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank UnderwaterDiva
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I have stayed in several resorts in Moalboal and reviewed others, so far Kasai Village is my top choice and would return again. Here are key points:

Rooms: Rooms are very large and so is the bathroom and shower. I was traveling with family and the Seaview room we stayed in had very large floor space and the shower was very large - we were able to store all of our travel gear and live comfortably with the large room design plus the extra sofa-bed was great for kids and still had plenty of floor space with the sofa-bed deployed. Each of the seaview rooms has a patio which was very comfortable and peaceful overlooking the beach.

Dive Shop/Dive stations: this was a real bonus. the resort has a large dive station / dive gear area for each person to store dive gear / change / clean etc. for the entire trip. There was plenty of space for divers to set up all their gear for the trip. They also have a camera room to change / batteries, charge, etc.

Kitchen / Dining: The kitchen was impressive, top grade professional / commercial appliances plus the food was well prepared and has a nice presentation.

Dive staff: I had 5 dives with Felix and did 2 night dives with Chris. Felix was an excellent spotter as well as Chris who assisted me on Mandarin dive and also spotted a ghost pipefish. Felix was also good at spotting macro critters and also found several other photo opportunities such as a large puffer, several frogfish. While most resorts dive similar spots I think the house reef at Kasai is home to more large turtles. I've dove other house reefs and did not see any turtles on some but saw no less than 3 turtles on each house dive at the Kasai house reef and some really big ones on the night dive. The staff was also very accommodating and agreed to night dives whenever requested.

Resort Layout: the layout was simple and spaced out nicely. No hills or curves to get lost, designed very nicely.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Mike G
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Three of us spent a week in Oct 2012 at this lovely dive resort! Felix was a great dive master, he understood the type of diving we wanted to do (longer, shallower dives) and did everything he could to accommodate us! He has a great eye for the critters, so that was a big plus! The food was good, and we timed our visit with a couple of nice parties. The mango pancakes in the morning were a great way to start the day! The rooms were nice and roomy. There were a few days when we were the only guests there, and the staff pretty much worked around our schedule. I would highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank scubas_chick
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I read several reviews prior to going to Kasai Village, and was a bit skeptical, but I could not agree with most of the negative comments.

The rooms were very large, lots of room for luggage, nice wardrobe for hanging clothes. A mini fridge and tea kettle were provided. The bathroom was a large room with a big shower. The water pressure from the shower was a little slow, but always hot water was available.

There was an air conditioner and ceiling fan in the room, so the temperature could be adjusted as you like. The patio had a nice clothes line, so you could dry your wet suits and gear. Two nice padded charirs and a table made it a nice place to sit in the evening and watch the sunset.

The dive gear area was very well designed, plenty of room to store and hang your gear. Large rinse tanks and lots of room so people were not on top of each other while dressing. The dive staff took care of everything. You really didn't have to lift a finger, they hauled all the gear on and off the boat each day and rigged it up for you on the boat. At the end of the week they washed all of our gear and hung it up to dry. It was as easy as diving on a liveaboard.

The dive boat was equally well designed, plenty of room on board, the tanks have enough room between them so that your gear is not all squished together with the next guys. Big spaces underneath for your fins and masks, etc. A nice covered area with long benches if you want to get out of the sun.

All the diving was wall diving. Some light currents made for easy drift dives. Coral was abundant and healthy. Lots of little critters and the dive masters were great about finding things for us. A great place for novice divers to start out, our group has been diving over 20 years and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

The staff was very friendly, learned our names the first day. Housekeeping was excellent, the wait staff in the restaurant did everything they could to make our meals pleasant. Though some of the reviews I read about the food were not very positive, we did not find that to be the case. We ordered off menus and ate some buffets, the food was always warm, and good. They would make just about anything you asked for, offering fish, chicken, pork and beef at every meal. The mango pancakes were a particular favorite with our group.

There is a beachside bar where they serve wonderful fruity drinks as well as beer, wine and the usual spirits. It was a great place to watch the sun go down in the evening before dinner.

The spa was a wonderful experience. It is situated right by the ocean, so you can hear the waves crashing onto shore while getting your massage. One night when it was raining, the sound of the rain and ocean certainly added to make it a very peaceful experience, removing the stress that I brought with me from the job.

The grounds were nicely landscaped and maintained. There is a very nice pool, larger than I expected. The plastic lounge chairs were padded and comfortable. A nice breeze blew through the compound, making it a very relaxing place to be when not diving.

This was one of the best designed dive resorts and boat, that I have seen. I highly recommend Kasai Village for your next dive vacation.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms were awesome, Beautiful sunsets over the ocean in the evenings. You can hear the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank TXGCH
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We went with the family to upgrade our diving qualifications, and relax with family and friends. We were so impressed with the diving instructing and instructors. Michael Pettersson, the General Manager was accomplished, knowledgeable, efficient, and caring, of his customers, his staff, the marine environment and the local community. We were so impressed with the work he has put into preserving the marine environment, establishing funds for the local community. He has done a fantastic job of training local people to be great diving instructors. The staff work so well together and it is so obvious that they are happy in their jobs, which made it such a great experience for us.
We would walk to the end of the pier, into the sea and straight to a dive on the coral reef. Giant turtles could be seen on nearly every dive. On our deep dive, we were joined by a Whale Shark. When we surfaced from that dive, the whole family were so excited, and talked for hours on the experience.
I think this resort creates an amazing dive experience, even more amazing, considering the remoteness of the location and lack of resources. The whole family was so sad to leave. The resort lived up to it's promise - "Come as guests, leave as friends".

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank 21Rose
Reviewed June 4, 2012

TRIP REPORT, PHILIPPINES, APRIL 2012

My dive buddy (husband) and I took our third scuba diving trip to the Philippines in April 2012. We spent one week at Kasai Village Beach Resort, Moalboal, on the island of Cebu. The second week we stayed at Atlantis Resort, Dumaguete on the island of Negros Oriental. Our travel was not as direct as usual as we wanted to fly with a Delta partner to take advantage of certain Skymiles perks. We flew Korean Air from LAX to Incheon Airport (Seoul, Korea) then on to Cebu City. We transferred from Kasai Village Beach Resort to the Atlantis Resort via ferry. For our return trip we flew on Philippine Air from Dumaguete to Cebu City (through Manila). From Cebu City we returned to LAX on Korean Air. Incheon Airport is fabulous, in my opinion it rivals the fantastic Changi Airport in Singapore. We had twenty-some hours of layovers on the return trip – so while the use of the various premier lounges was nice, I’m not sure it was worth it. Luckily our total time underwater (just over 37 hours each) was greater than our layovers. We will probably fly on Philippine Air (LAX-MNL-CEB) next trip.

KASAI VILLAGE BEACH RESORT, MOALBOAL, CEBU, THE PHILIPPINES
APRIL 11-18, 2012

Pictures can be viewed at http://www.picasaweb.google.com. Search “Best of Kasai, the Philippines”. Photos are by Reid McBride. Click on his name and the albums come up.

This was our third scuba diving trip to Kasai Village Beach Resort (www.kasaivillage.com). Our first trip to Kasai was in 2009 and second in 2011. We have been diving for eleven years and have over 850 dives each. We take several dive trips a year and have been to the Caribbean often. We have quite a few trips to Tropical Pacific areas as well. We are young (at heart – as chronological age puts us in the 60’s and 70’s). As with our other Asian/Tropical Pacific travel, we used Ultimate Dive Travel (www.ultimatedivetravel.com) as our travel agent. For the most part, we arrange our own travel in the Caribbean, but really appreciate having Ultimate Dive Travel taking care of the many details for our more exotic travel. They do a great job for us and we have never ended up in a resort or day room that wasn’t good.

Kasai Village Beach Resort is just outside of the town of Moalboal on the southwestern end of Cebu Island on the Tanon Strait. We flew into Cebu and took a three hour drive over the mountains to the resort where we were met with mango smoothies (yum!). Within 2-3 hours of arrival we were diving on the incredible reef in front of the resort. The entire shoreline in this area has beautiful sloping walls that start in shallow water (18-20 feet) and have the most amazing creatures and growth. This area is considered part of the famed coral triangle. “The Coral Triangle spans coastal and marine areas of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands and Timor Leste. The Coral Triangle is considered by scientists to be the global epicenter of marine diversity and a major center of coral evolution. A full 76 percent of known coral species are found here and 37 percent of reef fish species.” (www.coraltrianglecenter.org)

A typical day at Kasai starts with breakfast, then the morning 2-tank dive. Each dive is planned for 60 minutes with a 60 minute surface interval. We get back to the resort in time to dry off and eat lunch and take a brief siesta before the afternoon 1-tank dive. If you’re not totally worn out after three hours underwater (we are!), you can dive the house reef in the late afternoon or take a night dive. The house reef is available all day and some people prefer to dive there instead of doing the boat dives.

In our week at Kasai Village, we made 19 dives. Water temperature was 82° F. This is the same as it was for our February 2009 trip and our April 2011 trip. I get cold easily and was comfortable in my 3 ml wetsuit; my husband dove in a 1 ml. Visibility was about the same as on previous trips 40-50 feet depending on dive site. There were more particles in the water and this was attributed to the earthquake that struck the area in early February.

With so many wonderful places to dive, why do we keep going back to Kasai Village Beach Resort is a question we are often asked. Diving is our first concern and Kasai provides consistently great diving, with safety conscious dive guides who really know the area and can find all kinds of great creatures (Felix has been our guide for the last two trips, but Tata, the dive manager, Alex, and Chris also do a great job), helpful staff (from boat crew to Allan in the compressor room providing us with chairs in the shade to analyze nitrox tanks). They handled our gear (except wetsuits, masks, computers) – from transporting to the boat to cleaning after the dives. Some of the amazing things we saw include dragon sea moth, solar boxfish, map puffer, mushroom coral pipefish, ornate ghost pipefish, pygmy seahorses, and frogfish. Turtles were abundant! On many dives we saw 5 or more (and one dive, we saw all 5 at once – so we weren’t seeing 1 turtle 5 times) .

Even though we spend most of the day underwater or getting ready to go underwater or cleaning up from being underwater, we do appreciate the rest of the resort staff who make us feel so welcome and take care of us so well. We love to stop at the bar on the way to dinner and chat with Pablo while we enjoy the ocean breezes and sunset. The restaurant/bar is well-managed by Ceto and restaurant staff (from chef Bebe and her helpers to servers Edz, Hermes, Rhanz, and Linda) prepare wonderful meals and go out of their way to remember what we like and how we like it. Owners Michael and Lydia Pettersson live on the property and oversee every aspect of the resort.

Finally the beautiful location is well worth several visits. The resort is small (12 rooms), but the rooms are large and very comfortable. Most have a view of the ocean; others are near the pristine pool. Ocean view rooms are oriented so that guests have a lot of privacy on their porches (with comfortable seating). Improvements are always underway at the resort. The pier (about 600 feet since it’s so shallow) will be finished soon. We were able to use the new stairs in April and they are really easy to climb – even with gear on. This makes shore diving so much easier. For boat diving, the banca boats can pull up to the pier and guests can step off and on without getting wet. When the end of the pier is finished, there will be a covered seating area. And speaking of banca boats, they commissioned a new, much larger boat that was almost finished when we were there and is probably already in the water. It has been designed with divers in mind. I am looking forward to diving from it.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple