“beware of the locals when you stop at entarnce”
Review of Kawasan Falls

Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Moalboal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed April 30, 2011

originally, the only purpose i go to moalboal is visiting this Falls. But luckily i find other activity in moalboal, otherwise i would be totally disappointed in this place.

This place is poorly organised so that many locals could make money on tourists. we hired a tricycle to there from Tipolo resort, it costs Peso 500 for round trip. When the driver stopped at entrance, a groups of locals rushed to us to ask for parking fee peso 50. I guess it was fake. If this was really parking fee, the one who should pay was the driver, not tourists..(when we gave the "parking slip" to the driver, he just looked at other direction without saying anything..i guess the driver was also a member of that local group!!!)... We doubted to give, but we finally gave, just wanted to be safe inside....that group of locals was really annoying, kept asking tourists where they from, if they need a guide, etc... we said no need for many times, they still followed us, which made us feel unsafe...We stopped near another group of local tourists to wait the followers go away...being followed by local strangers was really unpleasant feeling.

We walked for around 5 mins, there seems to be a rticket counter ....peso 20 for entrance fee.... i wish it was real that time.....

Maybe that sad starting make poor impression of the site. We didn't enjoyed much inside. The fall was not as big as i thought and we did not feel like going into the pool. When we reach the fall, another groups of locals keep asking us to use the table again & again..of coz we don't use it, i guess they want us to pay again. After taking a few photos, we leave the park...

When we come out, the tricycle driver was not at the entrance. So what was the meaning of paying the "parking fee"?? we waited for an hour, the driver comes back.

Tips: Find a reliable tricycle - driver

15  Thank traveltannat
Write a ReviewReviews (1,402)

Reviewed April 26, 2011

When we arrived, we were met by a guide who gathering from his statements was hired by the local gov't to help the tourists and as such services was deemed necessary. In all fairness he was nice, did nothing but take us to the location of the falls whose fee was exorbitant. When we arrived, i noticed signs to say that when you sit on s table charge will be P300 & there was nowhere else dry to sit or maybe they made it too difficult for people to find a place where people can sit for free. There was no locker around and so the guide offered to take our stuff. As we came to this place unexpectedly, we were carrying a lot of things with us cash & some valuables and so I thought we were better off renting a room. A decusion in the spur of the moment, a good one that was reading about the mishaps people have experienced. Well, i read the reviews after leaving the place something i should have done before! People must be warned! To continue, we hired & paid for the raft that will take us to the waterfalls itself. Not a long journey, just a swim away. We were there for less than 30mins and we were on our way back this time guides discussing about discretionary gratuities. I gave then a couple hundred pesos each but this was not enough. Our guide told them that they have made him aware that we gave too less. Such hidden extra charges, be aware! It wouldn't have mattered if these extra fees were disclosed when we rented the raft. What a rip off! Even the taxi driver has told us initially that ride from Cebu will only last 1.5 hours, journey was 3 hrs one way! Had we known we could have come some other time as we were in the middle of our city sight seeing & headed to this place after lunch. For people wanting to go there, go early. It wa such a beautiful place, be alert & wary of the opportunists!

10  Thank Ermilyohlson
Reviewed April 24, 2011

The long ride would have been well compensated for with the falls' beauty but I regretted going there (and wished I have instead gone to Bohol) when I had the same experience as one of the reviews below.

I hope nobody else encounters the same mistakes I did. I am not discouraging people from visiting the falls, just that I think there are some people reading this who are like me - who want to know what to expect when going to places. These are some misinformation I got from the net, relied upon, and then later on brought disappointment to this supposedly fun trip (copied from my blog):

•Matutinao Church is a 2-3 hour bus ride from Cebu City. NO. It's actually 3 hour or more. You don't say 2-3 hours when the bus goes at full speed but still arrive at the destination after 3 hours. So there. It's not 2-3 hours, it's 3 hours or more.
•Warning: tour guides ask for a tip. WRONG! They don't just ask for a tip; they demand it. And not just demand, they want to deplete your wallets! I have included in my budget "tip" for tour guides there amounting to 200pesos, and I was afraid of what we might meet on the way, so I was really getting a tour guide. But our tour guide after the 30-minute hike said there were two of them, and that they normally charge tourists P500. What two?! I was only talking to him, I didn't even know that the guy who was walking behind us was another of our TOUR GUIDES? Seriously, how many tour guides do we need to get to the falls?! I was mad already at that time, but all I said was, "So... this is how you do things around here huh? It's so disappointing."
•Getting a P300 table at the Kawasan Nature Park is worth the view. NOT!! Yes, we got the BEST table with the BEST view at the BEST price, but obviously so were the other people who elbowed and stomped their way through our table just to take the BEST shot of the falls. I asked for the help of the staff because we just want to enjoy our lunch without our seats and table being rattled, but they just stood there, voiceless, looking at me like they are pleading for me to just let these people be. If they want that to happen, then please don't charge for the tables anymore.

BOTTOMLINE: You don't really need a tour guide. Facing the church, follow the track on the right.

23  Thank jam_hour
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We visited this falls on March 29 2011. We started our journey at the south bus terminal in Cebu city catching Ceres aircon bus @ 5:00am but we miss it by seconds. So we avail the non AC one. It is good that you arrive there early in the morning before noon as people tend to crowd the place by noon. We get there by 8:30am and we enjoy it by ourselves no other people on the falls except us. I take good pictures too as it was early in the morning.

5  Thank jcdalman
Reviewed April 13, 2011

We rented motorbikes and had a beautiful drive up to the falls. At the entrance we were surrounded by people wanting to be our tour guide. We said yes to one guy who also brought another guide with him. The trail to the falls is very hard to miss and you DO NOT need a guide. At the falls we wanted to jump from a high area into the water. Another guide (making it the 3rd one when we didn't need any) insisted that he show us where to jump from. We did about two jumps and had to go. For two jumps the guide wanted $20 dollars. We didn't pay that much and the guide became very upset and followed us. We drove back on our rented motorbikes to later discover that my tail light was snapped off and placed back in position so I wouldn't notice. I had signed a sheet saying I'd pay for any damages if I wrecked the bike....the tail light was the most expensive item on there! I felt scammed. Several locals told me that if you don't pay the high tour guide fees that they will mess with or break your stuff. It's a beautiful trip and I had a lot of fun aside from the guides and the scams they pull. If you do go to the falls watch your stuff and don't trust the guides. The falls are very very easy to find and you don't need a guide to begin with. I would suggest staying away from them if you can!

13  Thank AFinn19