“I nice Resort at an affordable Price”

Turtle Bay Dive Resort
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“I nice Resort at an affordable Price”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Okay to be fair, I did not stay here but when my curiosity got the better of me, the Receptionist did let me explore the property and look at the rooms. The property is owned by a British man and his Filipina wife. It sets Perched up above the Moalboal Bay on a hill side overlooking the bay. The rooms are decorated in a beautiful hard wood furniture and nice quitted bed spread. Much like you would find in an English Bed and Breakfast. The property is immaculate and nicely set up with winding paths and flower gardens. They have their own private shore on the Moalboal bay with a short Peer out into the water. A nice size pool to lie around and turn your self into a Native (sun tan). IF your preference is a Hilton, Marriott or Hyatt Hotel Brand, than you will enjoy this property.

Room Tip: Go for the Sea View, it is away from the pool but has a nice view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Antarctic_Moses
turtlebaydiveresort, Manager at Turtle Bay Dive Resort, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you for that wonderfully written review about our place. We appreciate the fact that you see the beauty in it with just one visit. We do intend to make our guest feel at home, give them the best services and amenities for their comfort.

We do hope that on your next visit, you would come and stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We spent 4 mights at Turtle Bay in Moalboal and had a fantastic couple of days diving. Hendrick and Fanny do a great job running the whole operation and you feel really well looked after by all the local dive guides. Our room was lovely and had a fantastic sea view and veranda . The only thing I would say is the bathroom is a bit tired but otherwise is was perfect. Nice quiet air con. The resort staff are so friendly and get to know you by name.

Food was excellent and plenty of it - definitely recommend the pork adobo. Diving with the whale sharks as Oslob is a must.

Room Tip: Room D has great sea view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank laulau32
We are glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us, it was our utmost pleasure to have served you and made you feel like home. We do hope to see you back soon and we are happy to offer a discount to returning guests - just ask when you make your next booking.

As for the bathroom, I will make sure to do something about it- thank you for that advice.

Thank you for choosing our resort as the destination for your vacation.
Seuzach
Reviewed May 3, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in March 2013.
Environment: The Parc and Pool were clean and nice. No beach, only pier with some chairs.
Diving: Very good - Hendrick and Fanny do a very good job! it was amazing. Diving with Whales was a great expirience.
Room: No Save in room, a lot of noise till midnight (cab drivers are parking directly behind the room). We paid for a OCEAN VEW Room - you could NOT see the Ocean from the Room, you had to open a window an move your head outside to see the ocean - but we were charged for Ocean View that! Somehow I understand something different about Ocean View.
Food: The breakfast buffet was very small. The girls were nice and tried the best to get what guests ordered.
OVERALL: For the provided service / breakfast / Room without sea View the price was too high.

Room Tip: No Ocean View Room - you pay for soemthung you won't get!
1 Thank Mike S
turtlebaydiveresort, Owner at Turtle Bay Dive Resort, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments. Sorry that you felt cheated with your sea-view room. Two of the sea-view rooms directly overlook the beach and the sea; the other sea-view rooms have a clear view of the sea from the balcony. If you had mentioned to us whilst at the resort that you were not satisfied with the room, we could have moved you to a garden-view room and you would have saved US$7.00 per night. We only charge a small premium for the rooms at the front for the resort.
Although we set out a buffet breakfast for the convenience of guests, guests can order additional items if they do not see what they want in the buffet.
We encourage all guests to let us know any problems and concerns when you are here so that they can be remedied.
Monza, Italy
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We’re just back from the Turtle Bay where we enjoyed a 8 nights stay.
The resort is lovely, peaceful and clean and this is true for all the different areas: the fantastic swimming pool, the restaurant, the garden, the nice Spa and the diving area .
Our room was not so big (the bathroom was as big as the room) but big enough even if you are a photographer with a lot of staff to manage. In the room there was in any case everything needed (a lot of sockets to recharge batteries, air conditioning, ceiling fan, fridge, kettle with tea/coffee/sugar/creamer) and it was cleaned on daily basis.
Before leaving we’d red some disappointed reviews about the food but probably the cooking improved in the meantime because we have been satisfied on this point: quality is good (even excellent in some case..tempura, calamares…) and the selection wide enough not to get bored of it.
All the staff were always very friendly and courteous.
Coming to the diving – one of the main reason of our trip: the diving is definitely pleasant even if I actually remembered a bit more of marine life (we had been there 10 years ago). There are different diving solutions (walls, soft corals, critters, turtles) but I would suggest this destination basically to divers interested in “small things”. Even if giving a review on diving is really difficult because it depends a lot on how many places you have seen and in which you are interested into I have to say that I’ve been happy of this opportunity to dive again in Moalboal !
We went for the first time to Oslob for the “whale shark experience”: ok, it’s an artificial experience because whale sharks are fed but I’d recommend to everyone to do it. There are not so many places around where you can swim and dive with 3 to 7 whale sharks at the same time. At the end it's better to feed than to kill them….
Diving activity was well managed, the young couple of diving managers was flexible and professional and the guide we dived with (Robin) was very good.
If you are interested in some shots taken during our stay you double click on our flick page :

We can state that our experience at the Turtle Bay Resort has been very positive!

Room Tip: We suggest garden rooms between pool and restaurant (we got# 6)
2 Thank Cerelora
Singapore
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed this hotel and the diving is quite good. We took the day trip to see the whale sharks at Oslob and that was awesome. The resort is 4 years old and very well maintained. We had a garden view room that was very clean and comfortable. All of the staff is pleasant and attentive. The buffet meals were all quite good too. The dive operations are well run and our divemaster, Robin, was excellent at finding critters for photography. I would recommend this resort to anyone and plan to go back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jim W
New Zealand
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have just completed a 6night stay here at this resort.
We had a transfer from Cebu airport which takes about 2.5-3 hours,the trip itself was an interesting experience in its self.
We booked a garden room,and as most have commented already on the sea view rooms,I don't see any advantage in the sea view rooms,but that is my personal opinion ,some travellers may want that regardless.
Our room was unit 8 next to the pool and pool bar,again as others have said the room was immaculate ,big bathroom shower,air con and ceiling fan,comfortable bed,during our stay ,our room was serviced everyday,and we returned from diving each afternoon to an immaculately clean ,serviced room,the grounds ,gardens within this resort are also faultless,the owners obviously take a lot of pride in this establishment ,one must remember that this is also where the owners live and Fee is very proud of what I would determine to be her home.
And the effort that the local workers put in is a credit to all.
Meals and drinks
1.meals
We had paid for full board, so after reading everyone's moaning in previous threads I wasn't sure what to expect,we specifically came to dive, and as a diver at the end of the day you just want to be fed,
Well personally I couldn't fault any of the meals,we don't eat breakfast so, I cannot pass judgment on that, but I will pass judgment on lunch and dinner

On everyday at lunchtime we had, obviously soup, which everyone has commented on,but there was always 1 fresh salad and 4 main dishes to choose from,all hot,freshly cooked and very good, they try and cater for everyone's taste as well as a little of their own culture,this was followed up with fresh fruit.
dInner was the same followed by a dessert,
This was buffet ,not al a carte, so be for warned, I do know that Fee (owner) went out of her way, and always asked if there was something else she could get you if you didn't like what was served,
I know she made burgers for a teenage woman ,who was staying there,so I personally don't understand some of the flaming in threads below.
The restaurant girls were brilliant and they cannot be faulted.
Drinks ? Yes you will always find these cheaper outside of any resort in the world,be it water, soft drink or beer, this is how the world rolls, so either pay the prices at the resort, or go into town ,and get your own,
Yes they charge for most things ,so ask before you purchase, this way ,it will stop you moaning in forums like this.after you have paid your bill, don't take every resort to be the same ,be it water or anything else,each resort has their own pricing structures,and just because the last resort you were in didn't charge you doesn't mean the next one won't.
Diving
The dive operation is run by a young couple,Hendrick,and Fanny,they have a wealth of overseas dive industry experience , and they run the operation faultlessly ,nothing is a problem,and once you get a feel for the process,on how everything works,it's a breeze,all you have to do is enjoy your dives,again everything in the dive prep area is immaculate,and I feel this has some of Fanny,s influence placed here,the boats are safe and good for the sites you visit,the dive masters are very good, and don't hurdle you like cattle ,they sit back and allow you to enjoy your dive,pointing out the odd subject ,but always giving you a sense that they had total control.
Overall if I was asked would I ever go back there ,the answer would be defiantly ,
Please note if you are not a diver and were planning on 7-10 day stay ,you might want to reduce that by a couple of days,.

Please note,we have dived and traveled a lot of the world,so this was not our first trip to a dive resort.
Craig Tanya
NZ

2 Thank stransky
Shanghai
Reviewed March 6, 2013

First off I wanted to say that this resort is absolutely beautiful and well maintained. Some definite positives:
-The location is away from town so it is very peaceful at night. A short ride can get you into town (find your own motorcycle driver, don't ask the resort to arrange or you will be ripped off)
-The rooms are priced reasonably (Caveat below...) with all the facilities needed for a relaxing vacation.
-The rooms are spacious and the grounds excellent.
-The workers at the dive shop and restaurant are wonderful and super helpful. It's amazing how at home they can make you feel. I wanted to give special props to Ceejay (Owner's son), who was a great dive host and a great person to hang out with--he showed a lot of maturity given his age.

Unfortunately, the diving options around the resort were unimpressive and not worth traveling so far for. The only special one I saw was the pygmy sea horse, other than that very minimal sea life to be had. But also, I went for 5 days during January so I'm not sure if that factored into it.

Here are things that I found could be easily fixed to make the experience even more wonderful.
-Everything is significantly more expensive at the resort than going into town (understandable but way too much). The most ridiculous one was for calling a motorcycle for going into town. It costs 300 pesos round trip, but if you call one yourself or go hail one outside, it can easily cost less than 100 pesos round trip.
-There are lots of wonderful day trips to be had (I highly recommend river climbing and whaleshark) and the hotel charges over 2X the cost for these trips just for arranging.
-Food quality is inconsistent. Some days the food is wonderful but others worse. To avoid this risk, you can take a short ride (via motorbike) and find cheaper options with a wider selection
-Food selection for breakfast is minimal. Room rates are often breakfast inclusive and the breakfast can definitely be improved. One of the days by 9AM there was only toast and cold eggs left.
-The resort charges a lot of add-on charges despite the modest hotel rate. Don't get me wrong, the overall costs are still reasonable but nobody likes the feeling of having to pay for something other hotels would not charge for. This included public internet (only available in restaurant and lobby), "open bottle charge" for beverages purchased from outside resort, daily drinking water charge (Honestly this item is great, but just hate not knowing about it beforehand), etc... Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying up front to cover several charges for a slightly higher rate.
-Lobby staff were the least friendly out of all the people at the resort. Also, some maps or information at the reception would go a long way towards helping guests figure out what to do
-Room cleaning. I was surprised about this. I'm not sure if it was a mix-up or what, but my room was not cleaned for several days in a row.

Overall, it was still a great and relaxing experience and you will enjoy it as long as you know about the existing improvements.

Room Tip: Avoid getting a room by the side entrance leading to the restaurant. Unloading in the morning can g...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple