See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed January 24, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here in December for three nights and it was lovely. The hostel owner and staff were very hospitable. The breakfast included very good coffee, fresh guava juice, beautiful fruit, eggs and toast. The beds were comfy and the water was hot!
Also, I paid to have my laundry done. That was a real treat to have clean clothes on the road.
I would definitely stay here if I was back in Matanzas.

Stayed: December 2016
1  Thank nicoleannejay
Reviewed January 6, 2017

Other travellers have described this casa in detail, so I won't dwell on the excellent food, service, rooms, terrace, rooftop-views, etc. I would, however, like to thank Mayra for being such an exceptional host. I spoke to her on the phone from Canada, and right away I knew I was in good hands. I explained that our 21-year old daughter was going to arrive in Cuba three days before her mum and dad, and could Mayra possibly help with day excursions to La Habana and Varadero? Well, of course she could. Our daughter had a wonderful time and was treated like family. She messaged us from Cuba and told us how much we were going to love the rooftop views when we got there. Hostal Alma felt like a home away from home in one of Cuba's quirkiest and most fascinating cities.

Room Tip: Ask for help if you are not familiar with Cuban A/C units and how to operate them.
  • Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family
1  Thank John C
Reviewed December 30, 2016

This casa is very professionally run. Maera has very high standards for her casa and her staff. The rooms are clean and well maintained. There is a lovely garden terrace. The food was excellent. It is also convenient to the Plaza. We stayed here our first and last night in Cuba, so Maera made the arrangements for airport transport. She was also very helpful in dealing with problems with our luggage. Her staff are very happy and eager to please their guests.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank shannej
Reviewed October 11, 2016

Last month-September 2016-I spent 2 nights at Hostal Alma and I was very impressed.This was my first taste of staying at a casa particular in Cuba as I had spent the first 8 nights at a hotel in Havana.This casa particular is located a very short walk from the main square-Parque Libertad- and is in an old colonial house.As I climbed the stairs to the reception area on the first floor my first impression was one of perfect cleanliness-both the stairs and the reception area were immaculate.The lady of the house was very welcoming and while I sorted out my luggage I was given a complimentary welcome drink-something that I wasn't given in the five star hotel where I had stayed in Havana.Understandably,my room wasn't ready as it was before noon but I was allowed to leave my luggage there while I explored the town.I returned later and was shown to a large,super clean room complete with 2 beds,air conditioning that worked perfectly and plenty of storage space for my clothes.I think it was room number 3.The bathroom next door-solely for the use of guests staying in room number 3-must be the cleanest bathroom that I have ever seen....The refrigerator was well stocked with mineral water and alcohol and nearby was a food menu.I was hungry and ordered a snack.The food that arrived was freshly prepared,nicely presented and very affordable.Breakfast each morning was sumptuous and was served on the terrace right outside my room.The lady of the house was very friendly,as was her mother and another family member that I met there-presumably her daughter.This is important for those of us who stay in casas particulares as we like to interact with Cuban families.....I left a 5.45 on my final morning and the previous evening was given a pre-prepared breakfast to have before leaving.....I was even given a keyring as a souvenir of my visit...I cannot recommend this casa highly enough.It was perfect.As a result of my stay there I spent the remaining 3 weeks of my vacation staying,not in hotels,but in casas particulares...Top marks to Hostal Alma.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled solo
2  Thank Derry M
Kuban30, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hostal Alma, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2016

Estimated M Derry,

First of all we thank you for your extensive and excellent commentary about your stay at Hostal Alma.

We work to offer a quality service where our customers can feel safe and enjoy the atmosphere of tranquility in our house.

We reiterate our thanks and hope you recommend us to your family and friends.

Team Public Relations and Administration
Hostal Alma

Reviewed March 4, 2016

Wonderful and clean place, fantastic garden und roof top, great and helpful staff and service, delicious breakfast and dinner. Super good life music and cocktails in next door casa and bar. Wifi just around the corner. A very good place to be!!
Thanks

• Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hilke F
Kuban30, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Hostal Alma, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2016

Dear Client.

Firstly, I would like to thank you on behalf of our Hostal Alma Manager & Owner, Mayra and our Team for your exceptional review of our Hostal.

We are delighted to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed the stay and that your entire experience at Hostal Alma was delightful and memorable.

Sincerely