La Villa Sonada
Hotelito Babalu(Matanzas)(Great Value!)
$47
TripAdvisor
  • Beachfront
All reviewsrooftop terracethe ownertwo nightsbreakfast and dinnerenjoyed my stayhis friendsfew blockslobsteran excellent hostan excellent dinnergreat stopserene experiencefeel right at homespoke englishan excellent place to stayother guestsseveral occasions
Reviewed August 6, 2011

As soon as I set my foot in front of La Villa Sonada, I was welcome with genuine hospitality. I felled like I am part of Cuban family while staying here. Mandy always with smile and anticipating your needs, before you even think of them.
The room was very clean and cozy. The bathroom was clean, with hot and cold water running at all times, up to European standards.
The location is central to Matanzas, yet quiet and relaxed. La Villa Sonada is 3 minute walk from downtown and 10 minute walk to the beach.
Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available at La Villa Sonada. Dinners are served at an amazing terrace on the roof adorned with plants and the food... yam, yam, yam. Not only you can not possibly finish all the food you get, but also the quality is amazing, like in a 5 star hotel. Everything is fresh daily, cooked to order and tastes delicious. I am not a fish lover, but ate half of a large fish, because it was simply divine. The breakfast was also delicious, you can ask for anything you like for breakfast.
As I mentioned before, at La Villa Sonada, they cater to your needs with attention to detail, with open heart and smile on their face. I cant wait to stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank Karuska
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Our stay at Villa Sonada was the best in Cuba. We were cycling through the country for a month and were lucky to stay with Armando for the first 2 mights. He was great. He imparted a wealth of useful information, he is a great cook, and super host. We returned there the last night of of our trip and were treated to a live concert on the terrace. What a fabulous place. Can't say enough good things.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank mh1946
Reviewed March 8, 2011

Matanzas was our first stop on a three-week trip around Cuba and La Villa Sonada was the first place we stayed in. Mandy is a truly gracious, calm, helpful, and generous host. We felt spoiled rotten as he set a high standard for casas for us right off the get-go. We spent three nights with him at the beginning of our trip and one night prior to departure. He works very hard to ensure the needs of his guests are entirely looked after.

To illustrate the kind of person he is...he noticed from my passport that my birthday was coming up during our stay in Cuba. Though I didn't spend the actual day in Mantanzas, when we returned for our final night in Cuba before heading home, immediately upon our arrival he wished me Happy Belated Birthday and pulled a chilled bottle of sparkling Spanish white wine from the fridge! I was truly touched by his gesture. We were also spoiled by his excellent meals. Mandy and crew are amazing chefs. We were treated to more than we could eat multi-course breakfasts and dinners. The dinners were top-notch--tasty, highly creative, with several courses, including soups, breads, salads, appetizers, mains (lobster, pork chops, chicken, traditional excellent ropa vieja), and desserts. Mandy also has a great sense of humour and hanging out on his spacious plant-filled rooftop terrace is an added bonus.

Mandy can recommend casas in other cities and will even write a note of introduction and make reservations. He's also very helpful with travel planning and arrangements. I can't say enough to encourage everyone to stay here! Forget the Varadero all inclusives and instead head to Matanzas and La Villa Sonada.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank El_Gregorio
Reviewed March 5, 2011

We were well cared for by our host Mandy. Not only did he treat us royally while we were in his home, he also made connections for us at each of the places we wished to visit. They were all top notch. Staying at La Villa Sonada provided a great opportunity to experience life in a Cuban neighbourhood. The location is very good for getting about the various sites. The food was excellent in taste and plentiful, and we especially enjoyed the dinner on the roof top terrace, which provided privacy, or a vantage point for watching life unfold.

We will return to La VIlla Sonada on our next visit to Matanzas.

Watch out for the taxi drivers from the airport; they have a number of ways of scamming newcomers. Anyone I spoke too had a problem with the taxi drivers. We brought a map of Matanzas for the driver with the location of La Villa Sonada.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2011

Never make the same mistake we made! Don't stay there!
We got picked up by a taxi organised by Armando that drove once around Matanzas before going to the casa (there's no other way he needed so long for the 3 or so blocks). We had booked a room with 5 beds and found ourselves in a tiny room (not a room to rent, rather Armando's office) with only 3 beds. Armando came in and started straight away by telling us a story that there was a problem and he could not rent us both rooms. When we did not want to accept this and wanted to leave he told us a few more stories to make us stay. He got really upset and even locked the doors so we could not get out. In the end we payed for the night to get the hell out of that place and walk through Matanzas with our luggage looking for a place for the night. We found the Hostal Azul (great place!). I don't know what would have happened otherwise...
So, if you want to avoid an experience like ours, just don't go there. We don't believe any of his stories. If they were true he would have left us the choice to stay or go.
It was a planned fraud from the start.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank July987
mandycuba_10, Propietario at La Villa Sonada, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Hi after some time of receiving this bad review in 2011 , I answer that by 2012 , was only possible in Cuba than 2 guests sleep in a room. It was stupid to think I could compromise my business that would allow 5 persons sleeping in 5 beds in a room. That was crazy thinking about you and I suppose that the world 5 star hotels have rooms for 5 persons with 5 beds . Today things have changed and if it is possible that more than three people sleep in one room, but I really think it is not logical if you think there are other rooms occupy only one room and the other rooms are unoccupied. I think it was a misunderstanding , well , maybe one day they will understand. I personally , have never seen 5 Bed rooms anywhere in the world.