“A lovely little place for budget travelling!”
Review of Hotel Iris

Hotel Iris
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Psalidi
Aussie in England
“A lovely little place for budget travelling!”
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This was my first trip to anywhere in Greece and as I was paying for my mother to accompany me, I didn't want to spend a fortune. The hotel is small and extremely clean just off the main road of Psalidi. My mother had some complaining to do...she expected the hotel to be right on the beach (I never said it was) and hated the 100 metre walk to the main road (slightly uphill on way back) to catch the bus. She gets in a bit of pain when walking too far. Of course, this distance is very reasonable for anyone without any sort of disability. The apartment was extremely tidy, over looking the pool. The beds were uncomfortable, but were better when you put the blanket under the sheet. As other people say, the kitchenette is extremely basic. You have to pay extra for air con which the website I booked through didn't mention (but if you open entrance door and balcony window, amazing breeze goes through). When mother finished whinging, I did point out to her that I only paid £20 a night for the place so what do you expect!!! (Last holiday we did was 5 star all inclusive in Egypt, a little bit different!) She then agreed it was all acceptable!

When we needed taxi's to take us into town, the owners were more than helpful to book it for us. What I loved about Kos was how the prices of Taxis did not differ, it was a flat rate to whichever area, no meter clocking.

Just next door to the hotel is a bike hire shop...which is the cheapest in Kos I believe! We hired a quad bike for just 20 Euro a day (other places were from 30). This was brilliant to hire over a couple of days and see all of the island. (You must go to Limionas - so beautiful!) The locals were so friendly and loved seeing my 70 year old mother on the back of the quad bike with me!

Another favourite part of the trip is doing an island hopping day, with BBQ on the sail boat, it was one of my favourite days, jumping off the boat into the most beautiful blue water. (to book this go down to the harbour in the evening and book off the boat, cheaper than travel agent/hotel rep)

Over all, it was a lovely place to stay, near to Kos Town (fab fish Taverna called just that, fish Taverna up a little alley off the harbour) if you want to do day trips to other islands and Turkey. The other end of Kos is more breathtaking and if I was to go back to Kos, I would look at Kefalos next time. But if I was to stay in Psalidi again, it would be here!

• Stayed August 2009
3 Thank Sammytoucan

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cambridge
Reviewed September 5, 2009

The hotel/apartments are located up a small side street. The best restaurants we found on the island are those located on the beachfront just down the road. The barman can recommend the best ones.
It is a good walking distance from Kos town, it is easy to hire bikes from the hotel and there are good cycle paths.
We went to Turkey for a day - definitely reccomend the trip.
The complex is small enough to make friends with other people staying and there were always enough sun loungers. I think the apartments are slightly nicer rooms than in the hotel itself.
The food at the pool bar was lovely, i especially recommend the feta burgers! You get 2 so it is an ideal lunch to share.
Would definitely go back one day as we only stayed for a week which was not really enough, there is so so much to do on this island despite how small it is!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlemisstrave1
Essex
Reviewed September 1, 2009

i have not been to Kos before but this was a great introduction to the Island. The area of Kos town is lovely with lots of shops, bars and restaurents. Lots to do and see.

The Hotel Iris was clean, the pool area was very nice with a pool bar on one side that did beer and snacks - try the special omlette, its yum. The only problem was that in the afternoon one side of the pool was covered in shade which was annoying if you had been out and about during the day and wanting to get in a few hours sunbathing before dinner. The pool bar stayed open till about 1 in the morning this is ok but if you want an early night you had better invest in some aircon because the only way to shut out the noise was to close the doors which meant it was boiling!

The apartments themselves are nice and clean. The kitchen equipment was very basic, so i wouldnt plan any extravagant meals - we normally only had breakfast indoors and ate out for the rest. Although you wouldnt beleive how diffilcult it is to make fried eggs without a spatula - we went with poached after the first day! The only other thing that was quite annoying were the beds, they are single beds which is the norm but because of the design you can't really push them together - there was always a 10 inch gap so me and my partner ended up sleeping apart rather than squeeze onto 1 single although we did try!

It is a bit of a walk to Kos town, most of the reviews say about 20 mins but i ould say it was longer than that prob 30-40 mins - i did this walk quite a few times so i think that that is about right. You can hire bikes for 3euros per day which is great fun and also the beaches are a lot better the further that you go into Kos town. We road right down to the end of the beach one day and found a lovely beach that had a restuarant called the Phoenix which did the best calamari eva! Beware the walk does get a bit tiring after a few nights so a cab would be good.

So thats about it overall a good holiday, nice apartments - although if i had paid more i would have been disapointed but as a said cheap and cheerful.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank laurajsxx
Derbyshire
Reviewed August 12, 2009

We have just arrived back from a lovely relaxing holiday at the hotel Iris. The family that run this place are amazing, they all work so hard. They cook fantastic food (try the pork gyros!) serve a great range of drinks and will chat with you into the early hours. The place has a great sized pool. There is air conditioning available in all rooms we were very greatful of this. I have come back and raved about this place, my mum is booking to go there next year too. Not when I'm there though!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Niriides Beach Hotel
#1 of 19 in Psalidi
Koala Hotel
Koala Hotel
#11 of 48 in Kos Town

Been to Hotel Iris? Share your experiences!