“Very mixed emotions” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Psalidi
Newport
“Very mixed emotions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

I've thought long and hard about what to write in this review. I travelled to Mitsis Ramira on 27th July - 4th August. In a nutshell it's a lovely hotel and extremely clean, which is exactly what we were looking for. However, we couldn't put our finger on why we weren't totally thrilled with our stay, so I'll give as balanced an opinion as possible!

I'm a pregnant mum who travelled with my 16 month old son and my husband. I'd read all of the reviews carefully before booking as I needed to ensure that I was going to a clean hotel with good food.

On arrival we were told (as well as the couple ahead of us) that our room wasn't ready, so we were to be given a temporary room for the night and to go to reception to sort the change in the morning. Having arrived at around 4 am to the hotel we were a little disappointed that we couldn't just roll out of bed and start our holiday in the morning! We were taken to a room overlooking the secondary pool which was very small - the cot (I'll describe in a bit) blocked the way to the bathroom. This wasn't a huge problem, but the awful smell of cigarettes was. So, we decided to open the balcony doors, get the air con on and let the room breath a bit. We started to wonder after a while if the smell was actually the air con that needed a service, rather than of cigarettes. In the morning I went to reception to ask about the change of room and they asked me why I wanted to change room, to which I replied that I didn't want to change and that I'd been put in a temporary room, not suitable for an added cot. So, a man who I think was the manager came out and said he had a lovely room ready in the main building. We were told to get our stuff ready and the porters would be there in 20 minutes to help move our luggage. When I returned to our room the porter arrived within under a minute so we explained we needed to pack our stuff up and that we'd be ready in 20 minutes. An hour and a half later no-one had arrived. So between us we had to carry our son, his pram (down the steps), 3 suitcases and 2 lots of hand luggage, bearing in mind that I'm not aloud to lift anything too cumbersome. Reception were again confused as to why I was requesting the key for a different room, but sorted it quickly. We got to our room and our luggage was promised shortly. An hour later, nothing. So, my husband went back to reception and sorted it himself. We didn't manage to actually start relaxing until gone 2 pm so a really disappointing start to our holiday.

Our room.

Our room was beautiful - extensive views overlooking the sea and absolutely spotless. We were a little surprised to be on the 3rd floor with a baby, especially when we weren't sure the balcony was 100% safe due to the a wooden criss-cross design allowing great opportunity for our little one to keep trying to pop his head through :-/ . There was more space than our initial room. The cot was not fit for purpose. I'll try and attach a photo to this review. The mesh was stained and the metal contraption that help it open was bent and didn't work. So, we had to fold the one side down as it would collapse if our tot put any weight on it when standing, plus he could trap his fingers in the hinge. We aren't complainers though, so once we folded the side down, we popped a pillow at the end so when he woke in the night he had a soft landing! Our roomed was cleaned daily and even though the fridge was only topped up every 2 days, we seemed to have a constant supply of bottled water. The only thing I haven't seen commented on is the air con. In our first room it was great, but in this room (354) it took forever to cool the room down and didn't ever seem to get that cold. We asked at reception for someone to look at the air con, which they did very promptly, but it didn't ever get any colder. It was fine to sleep in overnight though. The fridge also went off every time you left the room as you had to take the key (which operated the electricity) with you. We were glad we'd brought formula milk with us as we were going to opt to buy milk and keep it in the fridge.

Pools.
The first day we went to the main pool, but discovered very quickly it was way too deep (someone said 9 ft but we can't say for certain) so we couldn't support the baby. We took him to the corner pool which was meant for kids but it was a little non-descript and the baby wasn't fussed. As we were late down due to the switching of rooms we didn't manage to get a sunbed, so we just camped out in the bar seats. The next day we opted for the secondary pool but again were up too late so didn't get beds, so again camped out in the bar. After a dip we went to the beach where there were lots of free beds. We decided from this point to pop some towels out between 8:15 and 9 as my pregnant body was suffering not being able to slump! I was aware that the pools were all salt water but decided to book anyway. I'm a total grump I know, but I just couldn't get used to the salt water. The little one hated it and has gone from happily swimming under the water (he has lessons at home) to never letting us wet his face, so work is to be done on liking water again!! The pools were clean and well-maintained though. My worst gripe is that as the week went on the sunbed situation became impossible. On our last day my husband went down at 8am and couldn't find a bed anywhere. We were both absolutely shattered (I'll explain in a bit) but decided to sit at the bar and take a dip in the secondary pool, then wander to the fail-safe area of the beach. Having taken the trek to the beach (any distance is a trek for me atm) and searched every bed, not one was free. So, we took the walk back. By this point I was pretty annoyed as I wanted to enjoy my last day, but the walking back and forth and the heat had made my ankles swell up and generally left me even more grumpy. We returned to the smaller pool and tried to spend most of the time swimming. We did notice on our walk back that not only had people reserved beds, but that they'd taken the beds and kept them folded on their balconies! I was so surprised at this as there are notices up that say not to reserve beds. We also realised that having watched a fair few of the beds around the pool that not once had anyone use them up until 3pm when we had to leave to go and pack.

The Staff
As you'll read everywhere, the staff are superb. The staff around the 2nd pool were especially welcoming and always made a fuss of our little one. Restaurant staff were prompt and very polite. The same said for the reception staff who appeared to work relentless hours!

The Food.
Before I mention anything, I need to say that I'm an extremely fussy eater. As a result I found it hard to find a proper meal I could eat. I lived off chips, cucumbers, tomatoes, beetroot and feta for the first few days. My husband and baby eat anything and everything so were fine, but even hubby found it monotonous by the end of the week. It seemed very geared towards the other nationalities in the hotel. The sausages were frankfurters (the smoked type), the baked beans the baby wouldn't even eat (unheard of) and the bacon didn't look too great when it was there. I didn't want to constantly queue for eggs or pancakes (and get frustrated by the constant pushing in) so opted for fruit (plenty of it) or chocolate croissants, but even these seemed a little over done or maybe stale. It was good to see however, the effort to maintain the presence of Greek dishes as I agree that it's not right to go to a foreign country and always expect British food! I need to add that other families I spoke to thought the food was superb and I can see why they would think that - I'm just fussy!

I was surprised by the snacks on offer. There was always food available but a very small variety. Small cheese croissants or ones with sausages in, toasties, hot dogs (with frankfurters) and ice creams and cakes. The beach bar had a better variety but mainly kebabs and beefburgers (a smoked flavour) which I forced myself to eat as I hadn't eaten meat all week. The welcome pack from the hotel advertises that pizza is on offer at the beach bar but I didn't see a single pizza all week and I was desperate for one! You could get one in the Italian a la Carte restaurant but we had left it too late to book (on our 3rd day). We managed to get into the Chinese which was absolutely delicious!

The Beach.

Gorgeous water and superb 'umbrellas' and except for the last day, always with a free sunbed! There is a really long wait for food - both times we ate here it took around 45 minutes for the food to come and it wasn't that plentiful. Waves were a novelty for the baby, but I couldn't get my fat self into the water due tot the pebbles. I tried with my flip flops but spent more time trying to keep my balance! A pair of beach shoes highly recommended as the water is just lovely.

Negative experiences.

As we approached the end of our stay, we discussed with our Rep the problems we'd had with the room on the first day so wondered if the hotel would be kind enough to offer a room extension for free as we needed to check out at 12 pm but our transfer wasn't until 12am. When we discussed this the reception seemed totally unaware of our situation and told us to come back at dinner. We later realised as this was when the manager was here. The manager told us that we'd changed rooms as we had requested the change. He said we had complained about the smell of cigarettes so they moved us to a new room (the room we spent our first night in) yet we again asked for a change the next day so they upgraded us to a superior sea view room (the ladies earlier had said the rooms we had stayed in were exactly the same which was incredible since the second was so much larger!). I then realised that not once had me or my husband discussed the smell of cigarette smoke with anyone except ourselves, and were told that the night porters had moved us from the room they had first set aside for us as they had also smelt it. Nothing added up. We had to spell out to the manager that the couple who had arrived at the same time had exactly the same situation as us and that we were all told that our rooms weren't ready. When he tried to say he had upgraded us we said that we hadn't realised this as no-one had mentioned anything about an upgrade. We spent a good 20 minutes in polite discussion to try and get the situation resolved. Myself and my husband had agreed that we'd have been happy to pay for a room extension but that it was worth asking. We were granted a free extension until 6 pm but I felt really upset as I'm not one to complain but walked away feeling like the manager was convinced I had been lying. As he had said, the night porters had told him one thing and that story stuck over ours. The next day we saw the couple we'd arrived with and they had a smooth room change with no questions the next day. Another family who came the same night said that they knew when booking that their room wasn't available the first night. Having re-read some recent reviews I read from one that one couple were put in a temporary room like us on the first night so as compensation were offered to keep their room on until 8 pm and had a free safe. I feel even more aggrieved as we had to keep a very tired and tetchy baby occupied for a long time on the last night. We certainly didn't worry too much about his almighty tantrum in the middle of the pool bar as he didn't know what to do with himself!

That night we went to bed fairly early yet were awoken at about 2am as we were absolutely baking. We got up to check the air con but all the power had gone. My husband tried the trip switch but it wasn't that. The corridors had lighting plus the ground floor areas. We tried to get back to sleep but it was too hot. We had to open the balcony door, but remembering that we were on the 3rd floor and the baby could crawl out of his cot, my husband had to stay up all night to keep an eye on the little one. The power returned at about 5:30 am. We tried calling reception on the phone but there were no instructions how to get through to them. My husband did say that he heard people talking late at night so wondered if they'd also had their power out. In the morning I asked a couple in the same block if they'd had a power cut and they hadn't. It just seemed such a long time to have the power out and made us even more crotchety for the next day.

Another very small grievance was that we forgot to pick our baby's cup up after the umpteenth time of throwing it. We were one of the last out of the restaurant and returned after half an hour for it not to be seen anywhere. No restaurant staff seemed to know and the floors were being cleaned. We looked everywhere around our table but there was no sign. We asked daily and also asked at reception. It was just frustrating as this was the only cup we had that the baby would happily drink out of and that didn't leak everywhere.

We felt that in general their facilities did not match the number of people the hotel were trying to cater for. Many a time we wandered the main seating area for a seat in the evening, the queues were extensive for certain foods, but there wasn't enough room to queue. There were certainly not enough sunbeds for the number of people there (though we did suspect that some people must have reserved beds at the pool whilst probably having a bed at the beach too). The grounds are large so I wondered whether the best move forward for this hotel would be to add a third pool? More stuff for toddlers would have been good. The park was lovely but very outdated. Only one baby swing we deemed safe enough for the baby to go in. I've travelled all inclusive for many years and this one seemed the most busy and crammed.

For the Brits that go, you'll most likely be in the minority which is not always a bad thing. We met some lovely kind foreigners there but also experienced the bad manners that us Brits are often accustomed to not demonstrating! From my baby being deliberately hit in the face with a woggle by another foreign girl (she did the same to numerous other children before her father noticed and stopped her) to being pushed in front of, knocked out of the way whilst trying to hold my baby's hand to have a walk to being steam rollered off the paths as people did not move out of the way of the push chair, we actually felt very isolated some of the time. Granted this is not the fault of the hotel but it's worth a mention in a review.

Would we go back? Probably not. If we were given a cheap enough deal we might be swayed as we know it's a safe, clean and picturesque place with lovely staff who do their best to please. However, too many little things clubbed together to mean that for the first time ever myself and my husband actually looked forward to getting home. Plus, we won't knowingly book a hotel with a salt water pool again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank jeansjr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

My partner and I have stayed at this hotel for two years running now. We absolutely love it! It's in a great location for Kos town and Therma bay is just around the corner.

The hotel itself is wonderful. The rooms are spacious and clean. We went all inclusive and it is brilliant. The food and drink is lovely. The food can get tedious as with any buffet, however they work around this by providing a Chinese restaurant and an italian. Both of which can be visited as many times as you like throughout your stay. If you fancy something else why not take a taxi into Kos town. With it's beautiful little streets and wonderful restaurants. The people at Mitsis are amazing! So friendly and welcoming and always wanting to please. There are plenty of activities during the day to keep you occupied, but they don't push if you'd prefer to snooze in the sun.

You can hire a car from across the road, or if you want a bit more fun like us you can hire a dune buggy. Great fun for getting around the island! Recommend driving to Kefalos at the other end of the island and having dinner at the Sunset Taverna. Most beautiful spot on the island to watch the sunset. Very romantic! Another delight is Zia. A small village high in the mountains, the highest point in Kos. Lovely little restaurants and stalls to by local produce and souvenirs. The beaches in Kos are pebbles and quite uncomfortable, however if you go to Kefalos all of the beaches off the main road are beautiful white sand. The main one is Paradise beach and this can get really busy. Go to the one just before Paradise beach. Exactly the same, if not nicer, and much quieter. Therma bay as I mentioned earlier is just around the corner from the hotel. There is a very steep hill to get down the cliff and up again. The bay itself is home to a natural spring. Not somewhere to stay all day, but more of somewhere to say you have been. If you go into the spring make sure that you take off any jewellery, as I heard that the sulphur can turn it black! One lady ruined her tiffany bracelet. There is also a great water park on the island. Great fun for all ages!

The harbour at Kos is a nice little place to walk along and watch in awe all of the beautiful boats. People come from all over the world to visit Kos on their private boats. You can take a day trip to Bodrum for the day on one of the tourist boats. I would recommend the Aegean Prince. It is bright yellow, so hard too miss. It is quite large and fast. Bodrum wasn't really a place for us, but if you fancy a day out and an experiece then it's fine for the day. They have another wonderful harbour with some quite outstanding vessels. Also a good place to pick up a few cheap buys.

Overall we would thoroughly recommend the Mitsis Ramira Beach and will continue to stay whenever we go to Kos. Reasonably priced and a lovely 5* hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have been renovated and so are lovely. Block 5 is lovely as you have a beautiful view of t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma R
Uithoorn, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

Very good hotel, but especially want to point out the animation / entertainment team. Mickey speaks his languages brilliantly and is such a good inspirator for the whole team. The team is great fun during the day for both adults and children and the shows in the evening are brilliant, too!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We've had a great holiday at ramira beach hotel. The rooms we're great and The crew also. A great extra was The animation team. Their program was great, because they had something for everyone The whole day long! So this was great.

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Marchufkens
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hotel summary :
Possibly not the advertised 5* but 3* room, 4* hotel facilities / food...5* staff

Rooms.
Large with A/C, cleaned daily, bed was comfortable ( 2 singles joined together), we were on the 3rd floor with a lovely view towards coast. We had a balcony with 2 chairs & table,there were shutters to keep out light. The bathroom was clean and functional. We had a mini bar with free drink topped up daily inc water, beer & cold drinks.
Safe hire was 23 euro

If you wanted pool towels they were available to hire at 20 euro which was refunded when return you towel ticket at the end of your trip. You can change your towels each day for free.

There was a good variety and it was help yourself buffet style, all meals were very tasty. These was a Chinese or Italian - al la cater options with waitered service ( this is free too though some guests told us your visits were limited to tow though ours were not) You need to book in advance (min 1 day). Italian was slightly better service and the food was prepared in from of you & cooked in a clay oven which you could watch. Both restaurants offered great food.
Throughout the hotel there were several bar & all soft drinks, beer, wine , cocktails were all free. The drink was "local "so it seemed a bit watered down, but still nice & of course free.
Snacks during the day were also available either in the hotel bar or the bar by pool, which also had free drinks.

Staff
All very attentive, and very friendly.

Hotel
Reception, lounge, games rooms ( pool and cards rooms ), all very nice with marble finish and plush furniture. The garden was well manicured & regularly looked after.
There were 2 x salt water pools both very clean. 1 x more hidden away with its own bar, the other near main complex. Plenty of sun beds in good condition surrounding the pool with parasols.
The hotel was very near the beach ( small very quiet road in between), there were allocated hotel lounges with mushroom style sun shades. There was a bar near beach too. The beach was grey sand & pebbled beach mix, with pebbles leading into the sea. Flip flops or similar really required. The water very clear though a bit cold.

Amenities
Entertainment programme daily if you want to take part. Aqua aerobics, mini golf, archery, though we did not participate
We did hire bikes from the hotel. 5 euro ( 5 gears ) 3 euro 3 gears for 1 day. Good condition. w cycled in Kos ( 15 min gently cycling) , worth a visit with a harbour which is very pretty. There is a cycle route/track into town and then on down the west of the island. Very flat, I only used 1 gear all day !
Tennis court are free hire ( inc equipment) in good condition. 5 aside pitch & basketball court both in good condition.

Good variety of Dutch, French and English guests. Age was more toward the 50's when we were there.

I would ( and have ) definitely recommend it, staff wonderful, very clean. We booked last minute and it was great value for money

Room Tip: Try to get a high room with a sea view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Chris-and-Soo
Matlock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Facilities and the staff at the Ramira Beach Hotel excelled in every way during our stay in July 2013. This included Reception Staff, Bar and Restaurant Staff, and Cleaning Staff, who went out of their way to make our holiday an enjoyable experience. Whilst holidaying in Kos we hired the service of “S.G. Executive Services” for a day time tour of the island, on 16/07/13. The Hotel Receptionist helped us to arrange this. Stephanos Grammenos, Managing Director, picked us up from our hotel at 10.30 am, in a new air conditioned SAAB, and dropped us off again at 3.30 pm. He gave us a personalised tour of the most interesting sights on the island, with an excellent explanation of the culture, history, and economic influences of life on Kos, where he was born. He spoke English very well and was courteous and considerate at all times. We went as a couple but he can take up to 4 passengers in his car and then the cost would be no more than using a coach trip, which would not be so personalised. We would fully recommend this experience to other holiday makers in Kos. Stephanos told us he intends to add a minibus to his fleet so he will then be able to take larger parties. His website address is http://www.sg-executive-services.gr for up to date information and reservations. He also does airport transfers. Happy holidays!! Gordon and Wendy, Derbyshire, UK.

Room Tip: We were in a first floor 'bungalow' and we liked this option better than a room in the main...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
North Somerset
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just come back from a weeks stay cleanliness of hotel was excellent location perfect staff with the exception of the male chefs (who threw my meat on to the plate and missed) excellent. The food was terrible second rate fruit apples, pears, and no variety same each day. The meat was raw in the centre and chicken actually had blood on the plate. Soups although tasty were tepid as was much of the other food. The breakfast was very poor and cold by the time you sat down due to waiting for eggs to cook fried potatoes cold meats cheap nasty. Salads fine but same each day. The only special things seemed to be the roast pig and mussels which were on the Sunday and some duck in the week. Plastic bowls. Mini bar in room only had 2 small beers the other drinks were soft drinks and only replenished every 2 days. We asked if we could have wine instead of beer to be told no bottles of wine
in hotel ? (5 star remember) the deserts were fine but the cheese selection only 3 types and always the same. Powdered orange juice. The pools were nice but you needed to be up at the crack of dawn to reserve sun beds and you had the selfish guests who reserved them and did not appear until late afternoon we saw many families who wanted to use the small pool which is more suitable for children unable to use beds when there were many empty, do ask the staff if there are no beds as we saw staff go and find beds for some guests. This is a general problem wherever you go the answer is more beds! The hotel is very nice and although the food was very disappointing as we have had better in 2 & 3 star hotels if you don't expect that little bit of something extra you will not be disappointed. People on the coach to the airport had fabulous food and even champagne and they were not 5 star. One of the animation team told us that guests always complain about the food so come on ramira sort it and you will have a hotel worthy of 5 stars. Oh and by the way we loved kos

• Stayed July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Mitsis Blue Domes Resort & Spa
Mitsis Summer Palace
#18 of 39 in Kardamena
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,173 reviews
Kipriotis Village Resort

Been to The Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!