“Great hotel with great staff - true holiday experience”
Review of Platanista Hotel

Platanista Hotel
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Psalidi
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Great hotel with great staff - true holiday experience”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Overall it has been a great experience!.

Meals: lots of (fresh) variation in both dinner and breakfast. Nice restaurant. Pancakes in the morning freshly prepared by the ever laughing chef.
Animation: Maria, Nuno and Christina did a really good job. Lot's of different sports and activities organised all over the day. Well trained and most of all very nice people (also for the kids).
Bar: The hotel is blessed with staff like Spartak, Maria and Alexandra. They really make the difference in hospitality and atmosphere.
Rooms: The hotel has fine, well-cleaned and nicely furnished rooms. These rooms are situated in different buildings on the complex.
Pools: two nice pools of which one has a pool bar
Reception: good service and nice staff

However, if you are looking for an accomodation in a vibrant neighbourhood with a nice beach, you should reconsider if this hotel is the best choice. The hotel is situated at a side-road in a calm environment, with almost no shops or bars in the vicinity. If you like cycling, Kos-stad can be reached within approx. 15 min. A taxi will cost you approx. 8 euro. The beaches in Tigaki are better. If you don't mind, then surely book this hotel! You will have a very nice stay overthere.

Room Tip: If possible, pick a room a the swimmingpool at the second level. beautiful view over the hotel durin...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Leicestershire,
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay here, the room spacious, clean and well designed. The two pools spotless with plenty of sunbeds, only small thing, at such a good class of hotel I would have expected cushions for the sunbeds. There are activities in the day if you wish but it isn't our 'thing' so can't comment.The staff friendly and helpful without being over the top. We had half board and found the breakfasts really good with plenty of variety, the dinners the same with many choices and all food of a high quality. The bars well stocked and with a pleasant 'buzz'. The evening entertainment is good, but again we aren't really into that.
All in all we would return to this hotel, many of the guests we met had been previously. I can't think of any snags.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for just 1 night as we made a detour as part of our travels thru the Dodecanese. The hotel is quite large and impressive. Rooms are comfortable, clean but basic. Big swimming pools and a nice pool-side bar with attentive, hardworking staff.

I was most impressed with the 2 girls working in reception - Georgia and Aggeliki. Both amazing in their own right. Georgia gave us a thorough run down on all the nice beaches and how to get to them etc. Was very willing to help us out with pretty much anything. We asked Aggeliki if she could recommend some nice authentic (not so touristy eateries). Gave us a list of about 5-6 and explained each one and where they on the map. We ended up going to Votsalakia - an amazing fish tavern in habour.

It's a very nice hotel in a good location. It's a good 10-15 min walk into town. If you're going to stay there for a while, hire a bike for the commute. Kos has bike paths all over town. Very handy.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
beckenham
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We recently returned from a Thomson half board 7 nights holiday at the Hotel Platanista.
The Thomson rep. made us welome on arrival at Kos airport and the coach journey to the
hotel was shorter than expected.
At the Hotel Platanista we were very pleased with our ground floor room and the breakfast and evening meals were excellent with so many different choices..Probably the tastiest and biggest variety of food we have experienced on a hotel holiday.
The table waiters were very friendly which made meal times even more enjoyable.
When needing advice the Reception staff were excellent especially Aggeliki ( Angela ) who was so helpful when we needed to visit the hospital in Kos regarding a sun/hayfever skin complaint.
We enjoyed relaxing by the two pool areas surrounded by beautiful gardens.
The Animation/Activity Team led by happy Maria worked hard daily to organise games if guests wanted to take part and the evening entertainment was " better than expected."
The Platanista Beach area across the road was also " better than expected " and was very relaxing late afternoon early evening.
We enjoyed several 20 minute walks into Kos old town and enjoyed returning on the local bus back to the Platanista for 2 Euros each.
Our only complaint was that when we arrived at Kos airport to depart there were too many people trying to check in that we were queing outside the terminal in the heat for over an hour !
We are considering a September/October return Thomson holiday to the Platanista, and as we now know the set up, we can enjoy our second stay even more.

Robert & Barbara

2 Thank robert w
East Lothian, Scotland
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just returned from a 14 night stay and our first time to Kos. This hotel is superb & caters for all ages. The first week the age group was over 50 then by the time we left families & young couples arrived. It you want the peace & quiet then sit at the 2nd pool as no kids section. The swim up bar is there with background music playing. I have never seen so many sunbeds & parasols, plentiful. Our garden rooms were adjacent to the tennis courts were great. Very quiet and spotless. Yes the shower pressure is a bit on the slow side but it is Greece after all.
The staff & animation team are the best we have ever come across. So friendly & we all tried to participate in the games that the animation team Maria, Nuno & Christiana ran. They were always smiling and took time to chat to you. Had lots of laughs at their antics throughout the hol.
We found we liked Nestoras taverna across the road for lunch or a drink as right beside the sea & food very good. We walked into Kos town twice and it took us 25 mins. I think the older clientele in the summer months would find it tough going. The buses are very busy at certain times so don't stop but run every 15-20 mins.
A nice touch from the hotel was if you are half board & arrived late and missed evening dinner. You got lunch at the hotel snack bar on your last day free. Picked off the menu minus a few of the more expensive dishes. Make sure you ask for this when you check out. The food is the best in any hotel we have ever stayed. The food choice was different every night for the 14 days. Two Greek nights and the gyros and moussaka were delicious.. Chocolate fountain every 2nd night.
We would definately return to Kos & to the Platanista.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My partner and I returned from a holiday in Kos at the Hotel Platanista on Sunday 30th June. We had booked a Del-luxe room for 14 nights. On arrival we were told that our room was not available until lunch time the following day so we had been put into a standard room until it was ready. Not happy about this but I was happy to let it go as I know it can be busy this time of the year. The rest of the holiday was lovely all the staff at the hotel where really friendly and I couldn’t find a fault until it was time to leave for the airport.

We had checked out of our room at 11am on the day of departure. We were scheduled to leave at 20.00 hrs. That day we stayed around the hotel, made at least 4 visits to reception and after 2 weeks at the resort most of the staff new us by our first name. We spent the last couple of hours in reception saying goodbye to people giving out a few tips to staff who had been particularly good to us.

Our coach arrived and as we walked out of the hotel a member of staff called us back and told us we had a bill to pay. I took out my bill and receipt which I had paid on checkout and after quite a bit of explaining we realised that we were being charged a fine for a stain that had been found on the dressing table of our room the charge was 150 euro’s.

I explained this couldn’t be possible as I had cleaned the room myself before leaving and had not noticed anything. The member of staff said we couldn’t leave until it was paid. I refused and was told the Boss (I think it was the owner who I had not seen before) was on his way to see us.

He immediately escorted us to the room and took us over to the window and from there yes there was a stain on the dressing table but quite honestly this could have been there for weeks. He told me it had been made by some sort of nail varnish remover type of solution. I then told him that I did not use nail varnish so it couldn’t have been made by myself. I was quite willing for him to check my luggage. We came back to the reception and I told him that I would not pay as he had no proof that I had done it and I had checked out of my room 11 hours earlier. I do know that rooms where being made available to people who paid for a late check in and Saturday is a big change over day so since we checked out several people including the cleaner and maintenance could have been in the room.

The situation became very heated and as we had booked with a travel company the Rep stepped in as we where now very late and a coach full of people had now been waiting over 20 minutes to leave. She was really helpful and asked why he had left it until now and had not contacted any Rep during the day. He had no answer to this question and started demanding I pay. I told him if that if I had known I was responsible I would have said and would have paid but because I don’t and he has no proof I was not about to hand over 150 euro’s. He then made an awful gesture for us to leave the hotel shouting that if this was in England then the police would have been called and we would have been arrested.

This was all in full view of everyone in reception and the dining area at the busiest time of the day. I was so embarrassed I felt physically sick. All the people we had met and the staff looking on wondering what we had done. It was completely shameful. When we boarded the coach I apologised to everyone for keeping them late but I was so upset by the whole incident I can’t imagine what people must have thought. It was disgusting behaviour by the owner. My partner and I are professional people. We do not expect to be treated like this on our holiday. We both work extremely hard and value our holidays. This is our quality time together and we travel abroad a couple of times a year when we can afford to. Never have I had to complain or be subjected to such threatening behaviour.

I feel very sad as we should be able to look back on a lovely holiday and all we will think of is this incident. We met some lovely people who we arranged to see again in September, sadly this will not happen as I couldn’t bring myself to go back. In fact I can't bring myself to look at any holidays for September.

I think we were lucky as we had booked with a travel company and had a representative to support us. I can't imagine what would have happened if we had been independent travellers.
Please think about this if you are considering it.

I would like to say that the Representatives Liam and Shauna where excellent, especially Liam who I consider to be one of the best I have met. He was very professional and said he would take up the matter with the resort manager.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are lovely but whatever you do check for stains or damage when you arrive.
21 Thank TeesTours
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Returned last week from staying at he Platanista Hotel which is about 20 minute walk from Kos town and I must say what a great time we had. Staying half board the food was delicious but we did eat out most evenings as we also wanted to ensure we supported the local tavernas. One in particular is the Blue Ocean Taverna which is about 5 minute walk. The food is scrumptious and we ate right at the waters edge looking over the sunset - very romantic.
Our room was a deluxe, when opening the patio doors we took 6 paces to our sun beds & another 3 paces to a pool (one of two). The 2nd pool is 25m and great if you like to swim early mornings like me.
I think the most positive part of this holiday was the warm welcome we received and the enthusiasm of the staff to ensure our holiday was as comfortable as possible. They were so accommodating and friendly and obviously took pride in their work, true professionals.
We always said we wouldn't return to the same place for a holiday but having stayed at the Platanista we will certainly return.

Room Tip: If you can afford it as a rare treat, plump for the deluxe rooms. They are only two stories and are...
2 Thank M1stymorn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Psalidi
Michelangelo Resort and Spa
Aqua Blu Boutique Hotel + Spa
Grecotel Kos Imperial Hotel
Astir Odysseus Resort & Spa
Mitsis Ramira Beach Hotel
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
Grand Blue Beach Hotel
#2 of 39 in Kardamena

Been to Platanista Hotel? Share your experiences!