“Fantastic - did not want to leave”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Wake Forest, North Carolina
“Fantastic - did not want to leave”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

If you read a bad review for the Grand just ignore it — this hotel is fantastic. The staff could not have been nicer. Very friendly without being over the top. We were met by our "butler" who took us to the room. He was very friendly without being snooty. The mini was full but we were also given a menu of anything else we might want. The entertainment staff were all great. If you wanted to be left alone they didn't both you, but if you were interested they played soccer, water football, shooting...etc. they would get you to join in. The food was extremely good, better than I had expected. The wait staff, hostess...etc., made you feel very welcome (Olivia was great).
If you are looking for a relaxing, couples resort this is perfect! If you are looking for a single party place you may prefer a different hotel/location.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank castle6

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,460)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
york
Reviewed September 18, 2010

We stayed at this amazing hotel between 22nd of August - 7th Sep. The food was amazing, the staff were very friendly and we made loads of good friends. Definitely going back next year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank avoidbeer
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I have a hard time knowing where to begin when describing my experience at this hotel. Reading the prior reviews, I did expect for spun gold to be thrown at my feet upon arrival. That didn't happen. However, I can totally relate to the prior posters.

Firstly, this resort is beautiful! The interior decor and exterior (grounds, buildings, etc.) were amazing. And everything was immaculate. We had a serenity pool view (read: not ocean view) and loved it. We may have loved the ocean view even better. But, we were satisfied with what we had. The room was so beautiful and spacious. I loved having my own sink area independent of my husband's. And I LOVED having a pillow menu!! The extremely soft bed and pillows actually bothered my neck. After two mornings of waking with a cramp in my neck, I decided I'd actually look through that (complimentary) pillow menu. After ordering my pillow of choice, the remainder of my mornings there I woke up feeling just fine.

I was able to make reservations before leaving for the trip (and I highly recommend it). Unfortunately, my reservations were made incorrectly. But, they were quickly changed and adjusted to accomodate us. Having traveled internationally and to the Cancun area before, I was a bit hesistant on eating the food and worried about how good the different cuisines would be. Never before have I enjoyed resort food as I did this one's. Each restaurant went out of its way to provide me with the wine I prefer, even though it was not on the wine menu. We even took advantage of the ability to visit the sister resorts (although they cannot visit ours) and ate at one of the restaurants there. Delicious! The casual buffet eateries were just as good as the restaurants. Options, options, and more options.

The beach and private adult-only area of the beach... Heavenly!

The customer service overall was like nothing I've ever experienced. There were so many Star Friends who seemed as if they were waiting to provide you with your every wish. The name of the evening lobby bartender escapes me. He spent an evening making up drinks he'd think I'd like and then recalled the made-up drink and made it for me every night thereafter. And one evening we decided we wanted to take a tour of the grounds because we couldn't figure out anything else to do. We asked if one of the Star Friends with a golf cart would mind dropping us off. Not only did he take us to every sister resort, he got out of the golf cart and walked us inside to point out and describe to us each identifying factor of each resort.

I visited the spa at the Grand property (the shopping mall for the entire property has a larger one) for a simple relaxation massage. It was small and had no real receiving area. However, the actual treatment room was beautiful and the massage put me to sleep.

It was no surprise that over 75% of the couples we met were repeat visitors. Three, four, and five visits too. I always question why people visit the same places when this world is so huge. However, I may have to go back at least once more. Once more and for at least a couple more nights. It was very hard leaving and it's been nearly a month and my husband and I are trying to make an excuse to return and bring friends.

10 Thank Cianadoll
pittsburgh pa
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I am not sure how anyone can give this place a bad review, seriously.......sure, everyone is different and some things important to one person may not be for another but overall, come on people, this place truly is grand! our weather, mother nature was good to us, perfect all week! we went through apple, that went well, brandt entertainment for private transportation was wonderful, as always. we were upgraded to oceanfront, it was lovely, truly right on the beach. room 7280, very nice view......when we come again next year, I would not book oceanfront for the money but a cheap upgrade would be okay, lol. We just did not spend too much time in the room, by the time we did get back to the room, it was dark outside, lol. The food was amazing............the two themed buffets they did have, were exceptional, expecially the international buffet..........it was not a buffet, it was a "station style dinner" and it was WONDERFUL......................I can't believe how they went all out for this one dinner, unbelievable!!!! The place is very clean..hopefully if management reads this, they will have the two broken jets in the spa pool fixed by next year.............the beach I thougt was beautiful and we were able to swim without any issues, and walk on the beach. We managed to get our trips for $3100 the first year and $3400 this year, including airfare, so, we are pleased beyond belief. I am starting to look already for next year, no doubt we will be back!!! We seen our butler often, our mini fridge was restocked to the point of ridiculous......who drinks that much? lol.........I can't say enough about this place.........whatever you must do to go, do it...................it really is a memorable experience!! Tony's was wonderful, Japanese great too, Gourmet, perfect and room service was very timely and wonderful.............I have no complaints whatsoever...we did not leave the resort AT ALL..............

3 Thank lisaanddenny
Hurst, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2010

Stayed with 8 other couples, the entire stay, food, service, beach, pools, all fabulous! Pool Bar great, spa perfect, Beach beautiful, would not have changed one thing.
Recommend making dinner reservations as soon as you get there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank paigewolk
pittsburgh,pa.
Reviewed September 7, 2010

We cound not have been more pleased, from the moment we arrived till the time we left, the entire staff made us feel like we were special. They were friendly and gracious. Some even knew us by name after a few days. If we needed anything, all we had to do is mention it and it was there. From the maid staff, pool attendents, bartenders, waiters and front desk, everyone always had a smile and an hola for us. I would especially like to mention, Jessica, a chef, at the resort and Ector,a pool coordinator, for taking time out each day to talk to us and make us laugh. The entire resort was immaculate. The Japanese restaurant was excellent and you could not ask for a better selection at the buffets. We would definitely like to return.

4 Thank raynebaby
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 5, 2010

My husband and I had a beautiful vacation at the grand. We went at the end of July and I was a little afraid that the weather would be blisteringly hot, but it was very mild and perfect. We stayed in the oceanfront room. The room they gave us initially (I believe it was 7024) had trees in front of the balcony that blocked the view, we asked to be moved. They told us they would move us the next day, we were moved to 7123, beautiful view.

This hotel is absolutely beautiful!! But our first room had these little tiny light colored bugs in it, luckily the room we were moved to didn't.

The food is average but certain things were really good. We liked the breakfast buffet, lots of variety. One problem I had was the chef who was making the omelette, got meat into my omelette, gotta keep things better separated. The lunch was always good. The dinner was hit or miss, We hated the Italian restaurant, liked the Japanese, really liked the Surf and Turf. The room service food was always good.

The main problem for me was that service could be hit or miss. One night we got room service and called for someone to come get the trays (because our first room had those bugs, we didn't want it to stay overnight in our room) No one came. About an hour later, my husband called again, still no one came. We went to bed and the next morning my husband called again, Again no one came! It wasn't until housekeeping came that the trays were removed. Unacceptable to me.

They asked if we would be celebrating any special occasion during our trip, we informed them of our 10th anniversary. After dinner they knocked on the door and gave us champagne. Nothing wrong with that but I expected more. Like a hot bath with the rose petals maybe, and the little cute towel art. Oh well, no such luck.

But anyway, the resort is gorgeous and we loved our vacation there. I would definitely recommend but I don't consider it 5 star worthy, but a very solid 4 stars. With a few improvements could easily be 5 stars.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#35 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#4 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!