“Excellent quality in every respect”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Alliston, Canada
“Excellent quality in every respect”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

We are a couple who love to golf early in the morning, enjoy the beach in the afternoon. The golf course is great, challenging, interesting and in amazing condition. The cost is very reasonable, given the fact that food and drinks are included at the course.
Unfortunately, I severely hurt my back while on hole 18 on the first day! I mention this because I did need to see the doctor at the resort and she was kind and efficient. The staff were so very helpful to me as I was not very mobile the entire week. In terms of being at a resort while injured, this place was ideal, gorgeous ocean side room, room service, comfortable beds, comfortable beach chairs that are always available and for me personally, the spa was my salvation. I can honestly say that despite my painful back, the week here was the best. We most definitely will return!

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank andreagratton
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for visiting us and your lovely words about our hotel and.

We are pleased to read that after all, you still had a wonderful experience among us and that our services and attention helped you to have an excellent stay. We hope that your back is better.

Thank you for your remark on our golf facilities, we hope that on your next visit you have the opportunity to enjoy it as you wish.

We hope we will have the great pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,453)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Regina, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2014

We stayed at the Grand middle of January and celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary there. From the moment we arrived we were greeted by gracious staff and promptly taken to our beautiful ocean front room! The room was spacious and I'm a clean freak and this place is spotless!! The staff I cannot say enough about...Every staff member is friendly. Not once will one pass by without saying hello. We found the food amazing both buffets and a la carte's were superb. If I had to pick my favorite it would be The Japanese for the simple fact the food was amazing and the Manager Oswaldo went out of his way to decorate a table for us and provided us with an Anniversary cake which was very special. Armando the waiter was truly a kind soul and takes pride in his work ethic. At the buffet Olivia makes the best omelettes and she was such a pleasure to get to know and we keep in contact via face book. I send her SNOW pictures and she posts BEACH pics!!!! There is no possible way you will go hungry at this resort and the food is prime quality, absolutely delicious. We spent a lot of time at the quiet pool just because we deal with people all day with our jobs and the quiet was great. Wonderful lady named Mirna tended to us every day and enjoyed getting to know her as well. The pools and hot tubs were spotless and well maintained. Never once did we feel we had to tip nor did anyone expect one. We tipped because of the great service not because we had too to get it!!! Night shows were amazing and the Star Friends were always willing to get people involved or just took time to get to know everybody. The grounds are immaculate and the architecture detail in this resort is second to none. Anything you may need at this resort just ask the Concierge and they will try to accommodate your request and they did. All in all this was by far the best resort we have stayed in and we have been back to the Mayan now 5 times. We hope we will be fortunate enough to return to celebrate another Anniversary at this place we call Paradise!!!!

5 Thank Sandy S
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind mention of our hotel and your high recommendations. Our staff strives to create a wonderful, everlasting experience for our guests.

It is nice to know that we succeeded and we have shared your kind words with our team. We appreciate all of your comments and hope to see you again in the near future for your 26th Wedding Anniversary!

Best regards,

Reviewed January 24, 2014

My husband and I just got back from a wonderful week at The Grand Paraiso. Apparently it rained the whole week and the day we got there the sun came out and stayed :) Hallelujah. The resort is 1 of 5 and is quite large and very beautiful. The moment we arrived we were greeted with a cold "heavenly" scented towel and a glass of champagne. Check in was quick however our room wasn't ready so we went and had lunch at the buffet by the pool. The buffet had so many different things to choose from..a pasta bar, sushi, burgers, tacos, LOBSTER..etc etc. Very nice however the food at the lunch buffets we found to be just OK. (maybe we are LA food snobs though?).

When our room was ready a butler took us and our luggage there. We booked with a company called TripGuy and I highly highly recommend them. We paid for the standard room and because there was availability and TripGuy has a great relationship with the resort, they surprise upgraded us to the private villa (basically the presidential suite ;) ) My husband and I were literally speechless. The room was bigger than our LA apartment! It also came with its own outdoor area and private pool, outdoor shower, and sun bed. I can remember after a drink too many laying in the private pool repeating "I'm so happy" to my husband. The bed was very large and very comfortable as well.

The beach is pretty rocky at the Grand but if you walk down to the other Iberostar resorts it's rock free and only a 5 minute walk. Water is warm and beautiful and can be wavy..or calm depending on the day. We thoroughly enjoyed playing in the waves and kayaking. There are also catamarans you can take out at no cost.

We didn't leave the resort the whole time so we took part in their activities such as pool games, archery, shooting, karaoke etc..The "Star Friends" staff are great at making you feel welcome and by the 3rd day we were on a name basis with a lot of them. The shows at the resort are also very entertaining with costumes, dances, and talented singers.

The main pool was a bit cool at first but as the week went on it warmed up and the pool bar is great. We also loved the spa pool which is indoors and always 90 degrees F or warmer. We never had a problem finding seats at the main pool, spa pool, or the beach which was nice.

The dinners are where this resort shines. I will say it is kind of annoying that you have to make a reservation and the times they have are odd but maybe that's how they can keep the service and quality of food so great. Every restaurant at the Grand was sooo yummy for dinner and the food quality is high. It does take some time though at least 1.5 hours so if you are in a rush maybe just eat at the mediocre buffets.

One thing to note..The resort is quite large and some people complain that you have to walk a lot..but honestly it's really not that far to walk anywhere and if you want they can cart you around. However, if you have a hard time walking try to stay in a room close to the lobby. We like walking..especially after eating so much at dinner ;)

So to sum it up..

The Good- rooms, dinner food, beach, entertainment, star friends staff, drinks, spa services and pool, activities available, coatie's (little monkey-ant eater- things running around), awesome taco stand in the shopping center, access to all the other resorts, TripGuy

Not so good- coldish pool, mediocre lunches, annoying birds that wake you up at 7am (just throw rocks and they'll go away), dinner reservations required, The grand is dead after 11pm (but you can go to the disco at the shopping center.)

Would go back for another relaxing and chill week. :)

Room Tip: The Villa's are amazing!
4 Thank dhaq
Dear guest,

We really appreciate your post on Trip Advisor, It is a delight to hear that we have been able to provide you the much needed rest you were looking for and that you had a wonderful experience.

We are thrilled to know that you enjoyed our accommodations. We always try to offer the highest level of comfort to our guests, and read that you liked your room is the best award for our team.

Regarding our gastronomy, this is one of the main pillars of our organization, it is good to know that you liked the a la carte restaurants, and your constructive comments about our lunch buffet are being taken in consideration.

Thank you for mentioning our Star Friends team, your positive words are a great source of motivation. We believe that all our team with great dedication to hospitality and customer satisfaction are the key aspect that makes your stay so unique and memorable.

We are glad that with our services and exclusive facilities we were able to meet your expectations and it would be our pleasure to welcome you again in the future.

Best regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014

I just came back from staying one week at the iberostar Grand Paraiso. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is great, the food and drink excellent. However I was very disappointed with what they call the butler. We had oceanfront room and it advertises that it comes with a butler. Well we met our butler the first day and never heard from him again until the night before our departure. I have stayed at other hotels all inclusive with a butler and I will tell you that we got the royal treatment. He would reserve the chairs for us by the pool, we got breakfast and lunch by the pool, made all the reservations to the restaurants we wanted to go to, and they would call every evening and ask if there was anything that they could do for us. I am on holidays and paying top dollars and not get what I paid for its not fair.

10 Thank Rita V
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team. We value all guests’ feedback as an opportunity to continue improving our services and products for our guests.

We sincerely regret that our butler service did not correspond to your expectations. We would like to have the opportunity to explain how our butler service works at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso. Our butlers are in charge of a section of rooms, normally around 25 to 35 rooms each. Prior to all arrivals they check the rooms to guarantee our high quality standards. Once our guests check in, they greet them personally in the room to indicate how everything works and give our guests a brief explanation of our services and facility locations. During the process they will assist our guests with any special requirements including the customization of their mini bar, the selection of their pillows from our menu and the arrangement of any preferable time for their room cleaning and turn down service.

Overall they will assist with anything our guests might need during their stay when they are required. Our guest’s only need to make one call to the Concierge Desk and the butler will appear at their door step. At check out they make a final inspection of the room to verify our guests do not forget any personal items.

In any case we have passed your observations on to our General Management as we would not want our guests to leave our hotel displeased with this service.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent Mexican vacation and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We stayed Dec 7-14 and had a wonderful time! The service was not as good as the first time in the beginning, but after speaking to Natalia (concierge) and upgrading to the Oceanfront rooms (at my expense) we had Charley as our butler and the remaining part of our trip was wonderful. Thanks to these two fabulous and dedicated workers our trip was turned around....so much so that we are returning Feb 13-22!! I'm hoping the third visit is as Grand as the first.

Room Tip: upgrade to Oceanfront third floor...excellent views!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Tbaygirl73
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and for choosing us for the second time!

We thank you for the time that you have taken to make constructive comments as well, we are committed to listening to our guests and be constantly trying to improve our services.

Your special mention of certain members of staff will encourage our team. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests. They are the heart of our company!

We thank you sincerely for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2014

We've waited almost half a year to write the review as we thought that maybe we were charmed by the idea it was our honeymoon and we would simply enjoy anything. But definitely not! The time passed and I still think it was the greatest hotel I had ever had a pleasure to visit.

Food is simply amazing. Fresh, delicious, diverse. Especially for sea food lover as myself.
Service... lack of words! Swans made from towels, rose flakes spread on linen and bath by the light of candles are all the nice things we will keep in mind when choosing to go back to Mexico.
Weather: incredible. We were warned, mostly by our family members, not to go to the Cancun area in the hurricane season but we didn't experience anything that would disturb our holiday except couple of minutes of rain.
Surrounding: an incredible addition to the lovely complex of hotels is the nature by itself. While walking from one pool to another you will easily see raccoons and peacocks! A definite attraction for kids.
Evening attractions: Every day hotel organises the evening show of the highest standards. We recommend to visit it at least ones, as you won't be disappointed.
Jet-lag: well, travelling from Scotland caused us a heavy jet-lag so we had morning walks on the beach, capturing two lovely sunrises!

So.. if you're decided to visit Grand Paraiso, please order at the bar a Dirty Monkey and raise a glass for us while enjoying delicious banana and cacao flavoured drink.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Anna-Kacper
Dear guest,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for such a special occasion for you, and for taking the time to share with others your experience.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon and we are grateful you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: food, beverages, decoration, shows and pools, it is always motivating to receive comments like yours.

We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you for your next vacations or anniversary.

St.Helens, England
Reviewed January 23, 2014 via mobile

I am currently writing this review from our room as we are nearing the end of our stay here at the Grand and the weather has taken a slight turn for the worse.
As stated in all the previous reviews about this hotel everything is of a very good standard, the food, rooms, pool, beach, but for us the one thing that does make it stand out is the staff. The staff here at the Grand are exceptional. They are so attentive, polite and friendly. We have tipped throughout our stay but not once have we felt as though we had to which we have found at other all inclusive hotels. We have had room service on a number of occasions and had our butler have specially prepared meals made as one day I was a little under the weather, again none of which was any trouble.
We have been to hotels throughout the world that look as nice, have just as nice food, have better beaches and only once (in Thailand) have just as good service, but the Grand has it all.
Thank you for what has been a wonderful stay, we will definitely be recommending the Grand to our friends and would return here on our next visit to Mexico.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Wayne-Jayne
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your delightful review, after reading your comments you make us feel so proud.

It is our pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay. Our main goal is to meet our guests’ expectations, and to read that you even have a nicer time is a good sign that we are doing a good job and have to continue making an effort to keep up with it and even improve day after day. Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services with other properties.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team and no doubt will they be motivated by your kind words.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!