“"Grand" says it all”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

First off as others have said, if you're looking for a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons this isn't it, go there and pay more if you want. In comparison the price here is well worth it. When looking at a similiar room at the Lindo the difference for my whole trip would only have been $350 a person(5 nights). WELLL worth it when you see how insanely crowded it is at the Lindo,Maya, Del Mar and Beach (not to mention TONS of kids running around).

We stayed in building 72 on the second floor, i will never want to stay anywhere else here! Ocean front would be great for the view but it would be quite the walk for basically everything. The jacuzzi in the room is wonderful, we used it everyday! We even had them get it ready for us a couple of times so when we got back to the room all we had to do was get in! The bed was very comfortable and you get a pillow menu which was much needed for myself. I have no complaints about the room at all, if anything was needed i just had to ask and my request was fulfilled. Room was nice and very Big with wonderful seating & a hammock on the balcony.

Food was great, we only ate at the buffets, mostly for convience, and I have no complaints here either. Buffets got a little repetitive so I'd recommend atleast trying the resteraunts as well, that's what I'll do next time. PS: Lobster all day everyday!

Service was amazing, such nice staff. Anything you want they will go out of there way to do for you! They pull your chairs out for you to sit down, lay your napkin on your lap, insist that they get something rather than you have to walk to get it. They will remember what you like to drink at dinner/lunch/bfast and assure you get it. Everyone says hello/good day when you walk by. You know your money was well spent when you head over to the adjoining iberostars and experience the difference in service. I just noticed a reviewer saying he felt obligated to tip..i never felt anything near that from any of the staff. In America when someone brings you a drink at a casino for example, they wait around expecting a tip. Here they bolt right off to help another person without expecting any sort of tip so I dont understand why that reviewer felt that way at all.

The hotel grounds/building itself is just amazing, large and just GRAND. Beautiful staircases, waterfall type structures, pathways, grand hallways and everything. If you go to the lindo or any other next door iberostar you will really appreciate the Grand even more. I highly recommend going near Christmas time, the resorts are decked out in lights and its beautiful. Only problem they have is the water drainage/leak problem, pathways get puddled up and very slippery. That should have been accounted for when it was built, it rains basically all the time there so its much needed.

The pools really aren't our thing, but they are very nice and theres 3 of them. The beach is half unswimmable and the other half swimmable not to mention you can always go to the next door iberostar beaches as well. Nobody was in the water from the grand anyway since its mostly older folks so no big deal. Basically all seating on the beach is shaded by cobannas which is amazing! I've stayed at another all inclusive before without that and its def a plus! Everyone does play chair games with towels but we found seating we wanted everyday anyway.

Shows are good, magic show is by far the best! You can even go over to the Lindo or Del Mar/Beach theatre if you dont want to see the Grand show that night.

Overall fantastic place and I will be back! Love having no kids and being treated like royalty! If you have any questions about the place or my review feel free to message me.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Enmprod
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to send you our warmest appreciations for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We appreciate your feedback, it is very important for the managers and all our staff members. All your kind comments with regards to our staff, facilities and services are greatly appreciated as well of the rest of your comments. We are certain your review will prove invaluable to other travelers.

We hope to have another opportunity and welcome you back in our property. Indeed, It will be a great pleasure for us to show you our improvements.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 16, 2014

I was there in April 2013 with my girlfriend. I am a very experienced all-inclusive guy, having been to at least 10 ranging from terrible to miffle of the road to very very good.

And then there's Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

The place is just amazing. When you walk in you sense the opulence of this resort. The staff are incredibly helpful and attentive, but not in that robotic phony way. It all seems so very sincere.

The food is NOT your typical resort food. It's much higher quality...yeah you can have lobster all day long.

The booze is all top shelf stuff. And wow the beer selection is impressive...all bottled too I might add.

Each room gets their own valet who will come and see you when you check in to get you all stocked up with room goodies. Order pretty much anything food/drink, and he will get it for you.

The pool is nice. There's a main pool where all the "louder" activities take place. ie games, etc. Then there's the tranquility pool where you just lie down and get served on hand and foot.

The location of the hotel on the beach is directly in front of some rocks, so you need to walk a little left to get to the good spots. The property is reserved for guests only, so it's not crowded. But get there early if u want a beach bed. They are limited. Typical caribbean beach. White sand, blue water.

The nightly show is a cut above your usual all-incl show. You'll have to see it to know what I mean. Sure it's not Vegas, but relatively speaking, it's as good as you'll get from people probably making less in 2 months than most of us make in a week.

There's no dance club on site. You need to take a golf cart to the sister resort. I went once. It smelled of puke and was full of crazy kids. To each his own.

Really, there's no reason to leave the grounds of the Grand. Everything from lobby piano bar, to karoake is on site.

The reservation restaurants were all very very good. My favorite was the Japanese one where they cook the food in front of you.

My one suggestion to anyone like me, who has been to all inclusives, but never a TRUE 5 star one before: don't be shy to ask for what you want! There's a reason we paid as much as we did for this place - for the service. Don't waste it. And of course, a little tip here and there goes a long way.

Have fun!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cashbagg
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We vacationed at his hotel for eight days in January and upon entering the hotel we could only say "wow". We transferred to the Iberostar from another hotel and can honestly say we felt like we had entered paradise. The staff, the service, the food and the accommodations were second to none and we had an amazing time. We have been to many resorts in the Mayan and this is by far the best. We had the pleasure of staying at the Iberostar Grand in Punta Cana in November and it was equally as spectacular. We travel 3 to 4 times a year and will definitely return to both of these wonderful resorts.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
1  Thank miss d

Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for taking the time to write your kind comment on Trip Advisor. We are so glad to have had the opportunity to receive you in our hotel again.

At the Iberostar Grand Paraiso we take pride in offering our guests luxurious accommodations and the very best in food and beverages. Your review is motivational as it reflects that we continuously exceed our guests' high expectations!

It would be a great pleasure for us to welcome you back.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

This hotel is nowhere near up to the standards of the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Montego Bay. The service and food is inconsistent and the qualty extremely poor. I was served raw meat and fish; there were ants on the table in the Italian restaurant on 2 occasions that we ate there; hot food in the Gourmet restaurant was served on cold plates therefore, my food was cold but Hugo, the Head Water didn't seem bothered when I complained....my observation of him during mny 2 weeks stay is that he is a complete and utter waste of space. Waited nearly an hour and a half before being served any food in the Japanese restaurant.

The hotel manager was only concerned in speaking to returning guests but why they bother I really don't understand.....they are obviously only used to sub standard hotel accommodation.

I would like to say a special thank you to JZ of Star Friends who was helpful and friendly and also Gabriel and Marcelino who served drinks on the beach - they work so hard, always had a smile on their faces and extremely helpful. The beach itself is really nice and great for walking but if, like me, you only like to swim in the sea, then you'll be greatly disappointed. Most days the red flag was displayed as the sea is really rough and full of rocks.

My advice would be don't waste your money staying at this hotel..........it is extremely over rated and definitely not worthy of the "Grand" title......it's more like a 3* hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Nicola R
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us; we take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously, as we constantly strive to achieve the utmost level of guest satisfaction.

It is certainly not our intention to disappoint our guests; however, it is obvious that we failed to meet your expectations on several points. we wish to reassure you, that we have addressed your comments with the team to ensure that we take all the necessary actions to improve our services as well as minimizing mistakes.

We are sorry to hear that your experience with us did not live up to our usual level concerning the food and service at the restaurants. Our Executive Chef and our Food & Beverage manager receive our guests’ feedback and they are constantly working on improving our service. They will also receive your comments, of course, to take actions.

The hotel Manager does continuous rounds in the different areas always looking for areas of opportunity, and he is open to speak with all the guests and receive feedback so that corrections can be made while the guest is with us. We regret the fact that we did not have the opportunity to talk with you during your stay.

We hope to have another opportunity and welcome you back in our property. Indeed, It will be a great pleasure for us to show you our improvements and restore all your confidence in Iberostar Grand Hotel.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Ok I have the good the bad and the ugly...I just got back and have to say this place is great value for the dollar..Is it the Ritz Carlton NO but I will tell you that it is a well run place The food is a 8.5/10 the services is a 9/10 the Hotel is a 8/10 and the golf course is a 9.5/10 I have stayed at Moon Place and Le Blanc and I would rather stay here The staff make this well worth well Charlie the Butler is a great guy I know I spelt his name wrong but in Canada Charlie is Charlie...That's the GOOD the bad is they have to realize that you interact with 25-35 different people a day and to try and "Tip" them all would be impossible or you will go broke I felt obligated to do so and that put a strain on my wallet not their fault I am just saying .....The Ugly are The attitude of my nabours south of the boarder I have never been more embarrassed by The American attitudes towards these people they are NOT your slaves they don't deserve to be spoken too they way I saw and I am not saying all Americans but come on are you kidding me You should check your elitist attitude at the door and take a long look in the mirror It was a joke and I know the comments I am going to get back and I don't care I have always stood by my brothers and sisters south of the boarder but really felt like slapping a few of you in the head .....You my say what you want about Obama and believe me I heard a lot of racist comments

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar
2  Thank 30TimesinCancun

Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your opinion of your recent stay at our hotel.

We are pleased to know that you have spent a great time at the Grand Hotel. We are honored to have had the opportunity to serve you and we really appreciate you all your kind comments with regards to our staff specially your butler Charlie, no doubt will they be motivated by your kind words.

Once again we would like to thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. It would be a great pleasure to welcome you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Positives: The property is beautiful. The food at the a la carte restaurants is great. The beach is nice. The adjoining Iberostar properties are unique and nice properties as well. Our room was nice and our bed was very, very comfortable. We paid for the ocean front room ($$$), and the view was great.

Negatives: Unless you are tipping, you are not getting good service. I remember the days when all inclusive meant you could go to the resort and not spend a dime. We would always tip those at the end of our stay who went above and beyond. But at Iberostar, we ALWAYS felt obligated to tip for EVERYTHING, all the time, from the "butler" who provided no additional services, to the bartended who expected a tip after every 3 second demanding task of handing you a bottled beer.

Also, we arrived for our honeymoon. I previously informed management that we were arriving a little early and it was our honeymoon. We were told we had to wait a few minutes as they were getting something for our room. We were early so we had no problem with waiting. Obviously I thought the delay might involve was something like Champaign to celebrate our honeymoon. But actually it was...nothing. Nothing at all. No flowers in the room, no welcome card, not even a "happy honeymoon". Not once time during our 7 day stay was anything mentioned about our honeymoon by anyone other than other guests who happened to inquire.

Also, apparently there is no sleeping in allowed past 8:00 a.m., as that is when staff begin moving every piece of furniture around in surrounding rooms and it sounds like a freight train next to your room for the entire morning. Normally we would be up and out by that time anyway, but we happened to get stuck at the resort when it rained for 6 of the 7 days during our stay. It would have been nice to be able sleep in on one of those days.

Overall, a nice property. But, out of all of the all inclusives I have stayed at over the years, this was the only one where employees did not seem to go out of their way to make you feel overly welcome. The constant tipping aspect was also annoying. And the lack of acknowledgement regarding our honeymoon actually became expected after 2 days at Iberostar, as that type of non-acknowledging attitude seemed existent throughout the resort.

We will not return to this property, or likely any Iberostar in the future. It was a big let down as I did months of research on a property for our honeymoon, and this was ranked #1 by Tripadvisor. There was nothing about this resort that went above and beyond in any fashion. Very, very disappointing.

Room Tip: Beach front locations are limited, but would seem to be worth it to me. They do require a lot of wal...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
16  Thank CaptainConrad
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review, and that you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: food, scenic property, comfortable room and lovely view. Your evaluation is really important to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services with other resorts.

We regret any dissatisfaction incurred during your stay at our hotel, your comments were referred to our Management to review our standards and work on improving our services.

We do want to offer you a sincere apology if you felt pressured or obligated for our staff for giving tips, as all the staff at IBEROSTAR are committed to giving a high standard and a personal service to ensure continuous customer satisfaction. Please let us assure you we will go over this with each Department Manager and corrective actions will be taken.

We are sorry about your disappointment for lack of acknowledgement of your honeymoon with us, we can assure you that our goal is to offer our guests with a unique and special experience and details like this should not be missed. This will also be reviewed; our apologies once again.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with the great stay you deserve.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

My husband and I went here for our honeymoon in November 2013. The prior year, we had been on vacation to Excellence Playa Mujeres, so that is what I used for comparison.

Pros:
-- The buffets had plenty of options, and the buffet food was delicious.
-- The oceanfront rooms had amazing views that you just can't beat.
-- The concierge was very friendly in our building.
-- We really never had a problem getting a spot on the beach, and a server came around taking drink orders.

Cons:
-- I realize most "all-inclusive" resorts do this, but... If gratuity is included, I wish I didn't have to carry around a satchel with small bills to show my thanks.
-- To eat dinner at one of the sit-down restaurants, you need to have reservations, and those can be hard to come by. I never understood because a) the food is subpar compared to the buffets, and b) in 8 days, I never saw a restaurant even close to capacity.
-- Being from the midwest, hearing waves crash as I sleep is one of the things I look most forward to. The tension is that it's hot... and it's tough to sleep in heat. The rooms are set up to where you can't simultaneously have the door open and have the air conditioning on. I understand that it wastes electricity, but we paid enough that I think it should be allowed.
-- It's an older crowd.
-- The decor is a little over the top (think Las Vegas).
-- The resort is so large that it's a serious hike to go anywhere... to take scuba lessons, to visit the shopping center, etc. It's prohibitive. If you do want to go anywhere, you have to hike to the front lobby and be prepared to tip someone to drive you in a golf cart.
-- It was crazy windy the whole time, and it was a downpour 2 days. Might have just been the time of year when we visited, though.

Room Tip: We had a third-floor oceanfront jacuzzi room. The view was amazing. The water is a beautiful deep bl...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Maria F

Dear guest,

We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to write a detailed review. Both your pro and cons comments have been forwarded to the responsible managers for their consideration.

Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

We would like to mention that we are a Green Globe certified hotel and that as such we are committed to reducing the overuse of energy, recycle, and carry on practices to preserve our environment and reach a sustainable development for future generations.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay.

Best regards,

6 mi away
Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 214 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!