“Wish I Was Back Right This Second!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
“Wish I Was Back Right This Second!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

I want to start this review by saying that if you are debating which resort to go to, stop debating and book the Grand immediately! The service at this hotel was five star. The workers went over the top to make every last detail perfect!

We stayed at the Grand from August 4th to the 9th. We were in room 7021, which is a corner room with a hot tub on the balcony and an ocean view.

We arrived at the Grand via private car service. We were met with cold towels and a friendly face. She directed us to the lobby bar while she checked on our room. Since we arrived at 1:00 pm, our room was not yet ready. The attendant direct us to bathrooms where we could change and gave us a map with directions to the lunch buffet. At 3:00 our room was ready. A bell boy loaded our bags onto a golf cart and transported us to building 70 and our room. Our butler met us in the room for paperwork and an orientation. He was friendly and we felt like he provided valuable information.

The Room
Our room was clean and spacious. The bathroom had two sinks, a stand up shower and jetted tub. The toilet was in its own room, BUT, the toilet room was clear glass. Kinda funny. The hotel might consider frosting the glass for more privacy. The view from the room was breathtaking! The balcony had a jetted tub and daybed, where I accidentally took a three hour nap one day!

The Grounds
BEAUTIFUL! Well kept and sooooo clean. Like paradise! People mentioned the little raccoon animals, which freaked me out prior to coming. We saw two the entire time we were there. One was encroaching on the hallway of building 70, one was in the grassy area. I am a city girl, so this was a relief! We saw several iguanas and small lizards. Unlike other reviewers, we did not need bug spray or get bitten up.
The inside of the resort was very vegas over the top. Marble everywhere. Pretty chandeliers. A lot to look at!

The Beach
We are beach people. We pretty much spent five hours a day at the beach. This beach was 4 star. Not a deal breaker for going back, but just not the most spectacular beach we've been to. There were spots with seaweed and rocks. You could easily move away from these spots to sandier places. What makes the beach outstanding is the service and ease of finding shade and chairs. There were plenty of grass canopies for shade with two chairs or day beds and a drink table. The servers came around ever 30-40 minutes to take drink orders or bring ice cream. There was even a sunscreen server with your choice of 15,30, or 50 waterproof sunscreen. The little details were very thought out! We took out a HobieCat but other than that, just relaxed. One tip for the free water sports is that you have to reserve first thing in the morning. The water toys are shared amount all the Grand resorts, so they book up fast.

The Pool
We only spent about 5 minutes in the pool because we are beach people. The pool is beautiful. People looked like they were enjoying socializing and drinking with friends. The swim up bar was good. It seemed like they could use some more umbrellas for shade by the chairs, but if you really wanted shade, you could get out early to pick your spot or go to the beach. I know that other reviews make it seem like there were not enough chairs, but there were plenty the week we were there! Yes towels reserved spots, but at any time of day, there were at least two chairs together in various locations.

The Food
I would give the food 4 stars, my husband said I am a hater and would give it 5 stars.

Breakfast was served in one of the buffet restaurants. You could order from a menu or help yourself to food. We did buffet one day and order another. The buffet had everything you could possibly think to eat for breakfast: Crepes, waffles, omelets, eggs, Seafood, cereals, breads, juices (they basically juice every fruit you can think of), cheeses, fruit, meats, oatmeal. Something for everybody! The menus had upscale choices like lobster belinis, caviar, etc. the coffee was good.

Lunch was served in one of the buffets. Again you could order from the menu or serve yourself at the buffet. There was also an outdoor grill station. The grill station had giant T-bone steaks most days and lamb chops one day. You could ask for how you wanted it cooked and which of the five salt choices you wanted (yep, 5 salt choices!). The grill chef did awesome!!! The buffet had something for everyone! Tacos, burgers, cooked lobster tails, cooked fish, pizza, pasta, cold seafood, meats and cheese, sandwiches, salads, made to order Caesar Salad. A selection of ice cream and sweets. Anything you could want.

Dinner was where you had the most variety. You could choose from a themed buffet or specialty restaurant. Our favorite speciality restaurant was the surf and turf. We had the lobster there. The filet was cooked exactly as asked. We had fun at the Japanese restaurant. The food was good. My husband ordered duck and it was by far the stand out of the meal. The gourmet and Italian restaurant were fine. The risotto at the Italian restaurant was undercooked and indelible. The dessert at every restaurant was amazing!!!!!

The Vibe
The resort was pretty relaxing during our week. You could walk the entire span of the resort and not see one person. It seemed like an older crowd then the Sandals Resort crowd. I would say the average age was 40. The star friends kept activities going and a light hatred atmosphere!

If Iberostar is looking to make improvements here are some suggestions (none of which are deal breakers!): offer better toiletries, figure out the plumbing so that the showers don't constantly go from the temp you set to holy hot then freezing cold, turn all the jets in the spa pool, improve the linens.

Overall, we hope to go back and would recommend this resort without reservation!

• Stayed August 2013
11 Thank AnnieMarieMcG
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your opinion of your recent stay at our hotel.

We are pleased to know that you had a great time at the Grand Hotel and it is a great honor to have had the opportunity to serve you and the fact that you endorsed our property highly. It is very motivating for our Managers and Staff to keep on going the extra mile.

Your suggestions have been duly noted and we assure you that we will bear them in mind. We take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously as we constantly strive to achieve the utmost level of guest satisfaction. We will share your suggestions to the appropriate people for their consideration.

Regarding the coast, all beaches in the area are regulated by the Environmental Federal Law and they are treated as protected areas. For that reason we cannot modify them, so that their natural balance will be preserved.

Once again we would like to thank you for taking the time to specify the highlights of your trip: scenic property, delicious and varied food; friendly and efficient staff and relaxing beach. We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you when you have your next vacation as we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Best regards,
Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,403)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is a great property, and met all of my expectations. Went for a long weekend with friends, and everyone had a great time - like Spring Break for grown-ups. Its probably about a 20-25 minute ride from the airport (I suggest reserving a car service - we used Cancun Transfers and it was about $50 cheaper than a cab, and they were right on time). Upon arrival, we were greeted with champagne and cocktails, and then promptly upgraded our "basic" rooms to the ocean-front suites - these are the absolute closest rooms to the ocean, with big balconies overlooking the beach/ocean. The balconies were a great place to have coffee and breakfast in the morning. Only $80/nt more, so it was well worth it. The all-inclusive bars (I found at least 4, but there were probably more) are great, and fully stocked with what I consider higher-end alcohols (not quite "top shelf", but close enough). For example, tequilas were Don Julio, Jimador or 1800; vodka was Grey Goose (if you requested it) or absolut; rums were Bacardi or Appleton. Scotch was a bit lacking (JW red), but who goes to Mexico to drink Scotch? Great beer selection too - they have most major U.S. labels, plus every Mexican beer known to man. My favorite is Modelo Especial, and they had that plus a "light" version that I have never seen in the U.S. So, the bar selection was solid. And the drink menu was vast - we tried many concoctions I had never seen before, and most were very good (and strong). If you go, get the Caipirinha - its like a mojito but better - great morning drink. The food was also very good. We preferred to order breakfast in the room, but the breakfast buffet was large and very good. I don't recall eating much lunch (breakfast was enough), and then for dinner we either hit one of the restaurants (they rotate as to which ones are open on each night) or the buffet (always open for dinner). The only issue with the restaurants is they tend to be long meals. The food is delicious, but it can take 2 hours. If you just want to grab a quick dinner and then head to the nightclubs, the buffet is the best bet. Speaking of nightclubs, the Star Wars club (the "Galaxy") is pretty cool. Make sure to get some glow sticks. The hotel aso has a cool karaoke lounge - only problem is it closes early - I think it was 12:00 or so. They really need to keep it open later on Fri./Sat. The staff working the karaoke has some great dance moves - so be prepared. If you smoke cigars, they have a great selection of Cubans. Problem is they range from about $20 - $100 per stick. So, my advice is to bring your favorites from home - you really can't beat a good Fuente, even with a Cuban. Finally, the staff was great. The bartenders and butlers were top notch, very attentive and friendly, and every request was accommodated promptly. There are also "activities" people roaming around putting together beach volleyball or pool basketball games, etc., including shooting competitions and scuba lessons - some of these were fun too. Bingo at the pool bar was a crowd favorite. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to ocean-front suites - the view is worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Todd K
Dear Guest,

We are grateful for your kind review and all the great comments from your last Spring Break for grown-ups :-)

We are glad to hear that you truly enjoyed our rooms, food, beverage and services provided in the restaurants.

Thank you also for your comment on your issue about the long meals. At restaurants our team aims to create a relaxing atmosphere where meals are cooked to order and the end result is fresh and of top quality, so it takes a little longer. However, we understand your point and this will be shared with our Food & Beverage department and Executive Chef.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at the Grand Paraiso!

Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel and I will only say it was the best stay and vacation we’ve had.
We found very little that was wrong and if there was a problem they worked quickly to correct and make it right.
I want bore anyone with a by category evaluation but only a summary statement, “EVERYTHING WAS GREAT”, People, Food, Room, Entertainment, Beach, Grounds, the list goes on.
Go and see for yourself.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank dlarmard
Quality manager I, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We feel privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.

It is also a pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your holidays among us so much. We hope that you will not hesitate to visit with us again in the near future as we look forward to welcoming you back.

Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

The Grand hotel lives up to it's name. The hotel is gorgeous, with beautiful views, excellent service, great pools, and lots of dining options. We stayed for one week and would definitely return to the Grand. The staff was friendly and willing to help out in any way possible. When they learned it was our honeymoon, we found a surprise in our room. Rose petals and candles leading to our bed with towels shaped into swans. Champagne was brought to our room another night. The staff goes above and beyond. The Star Friends, are also great. They are in charge of the exercise classes, pool activities, entertainment, and keeping the guests happy. After dinner in the lobby bar the Star friends could be seen chatting with guests. After talking to us only once they referred to us by name and encouraged us to participate in various activities. The Star friends work hard to include everyone, so much so that they are learning Russian so that they can better communicate with their customers. The cooks were also wonderful. Daniella, one of the head chefs checked in with guests about how their meals were one evening at dinner. When she learned that I was a vegetarian she asked if I felt there were enough options for me and if there was anything I would like to see more of. I think that's the best part of this resort, they are constantly trying to better themselves so that their guests get the best possible experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank mmtanney
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso team we would like to thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the property, we felt privileged to have had the opportunity to serve you.

All your kind comments about our staff, the facilities, the food and beverage services, as well as the quality of our service are greatly appreciated and it motivate us to keep working hard to satisfy to all of our guest.

You are absolutely right, we work day by day to better ourselves so that your holiday can be more than perfect :-)

We surely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We chose this hotel for our honeymoon a year and a half ago and loved it so much we decided to go back for our 1 year anniversary (October). This hotel set the bar high, and now I don't know if I will ever be able to do an all inclusive outside of the Grand line! The first trip, we stayed in a room outside of the quiet pool...loved the room but the bed was too firm for my back; I should have asked for another pillow from their pillow menu and never did. Round the clock butler service was awesome, ordering room service at 11 pm was fabulous (chocolate torte and chocolate icecream many nights lol). We loved the staff, many of which were there for our second trip and remembered us. This is a more upscale, couples friendly resort (adults only, obviously)...there was one small group of "partiers" that came in mid week during our second trip and while they seemed to be treated kindly by staff, they did not fit in with the rest of the guests at the hotel. Don't get me wrong, my husband and I had a good time drinking with other couples we met but this isn't a "spring break" type of resort. My husband and I aren't used to extremely fine dining every night, but we are young professionals who dine out regularly and are able to do what we want, and the food at this hotel was just fine. We loved the breakfast buffet (my husband still talks about the bacon). We ordered cappuccino to our room before dinner one night, and had a large chocolate sculpture delivered with it!! There were so many little touches that make this resort so wonderful. We are not going back this year due to having a family vacation planned, and I can't stop saying, "I miss Mexico (the Grand)!" We did a scuba dive with Dressel Dives down the beach, highly recommend it!! We didn't venture off of the resort grounds, but didn't feel like we needed to. There is a shopping area on the Iberostar campus...during October, some of the shops were closed and there wasn't much to it, but it was fun to walk around for a few hours. We walked through another iberostar (family friendly) hotel for our dive certification and were VERY glad we didn't go with another iberostar hotel, as there were many kids around and that was not what we wanted for our trip. Great service, great employees (became great buddies with many of them over the week and was sad to say bye to them!), can't recommend this hotel enough. Well worth a little extra $ for this resort!! Bring bug spray, mosquitoes will eat you up on the patio, and there is a swing/couch on the patio...loved laying out there to read of an evening!!!

Room Tip: We made friends in the beachfront rooms; these rooms seemed nice, but they are in separate buildings...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Rachelle A
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful review, we are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at IBEROSTAR GRAND PARAISO. We were so glad to welcome you back, and on behalf of all the staff we would like to express our gratitude for the kind words you have submitted about our Hotel and our service.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to have you back and for the fact that you endorsed our property highly. We already shared your post with our Department Managers and they will let staff know about your kind words about them, as it is always very motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours to keep on going the extra mile.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay with us.

New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

I have been no this hotel 3 years in a row. There have been some improvements and some let downs:
-improvements: wifi over all the resort including the beach! Very good signal, breakfast stills a blast, service top noch as usual and very good beer selection.
-let downs: food at specialty rest. Not bad but not wow by any chance, some áreas need maintenance asap. Like the Spa pool only 1 water pipe jet worked!

Overall stills a solid choice. So enjoy it!

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Akuma_kh
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review and for your loyalty and trust.

We are very glad that your third stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso was as enjoyable as your previous visits. We do really appreciate your kind feedback as a repetitive guest you have been witness of our improvements, and for sure we would love to show you that we take care about the property’s maintenance and we are working on it day after day. Your feedback will be forward to our Maintenance Manager.

We regret that this time our a la carte restaurants did not live up to your expectations. We have already shared it with our Executive chef for his consideration. He continuously strives to offer the best quality so your comments will be useful. If you could give us more information on what items you did not like, it would be greatly appreciated, as our guests’ feedback help us achieve our main goal, which is your complete satisfaction.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back once again.

Middletown, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

We just got back from this hotel on Monday, and I can honestly say, it's one of the best we ever stayed at. I traveled with my husband and my 2 daughters, 18 & 21, and we all agreed we want to go back next year. The hotel was very clean, always saw someone either cleaning or maintaining the grounds. There was always management around making sure that you were happy. They had plenty of staff around making sure you had everything you needed. Eduardo in the dining room, went out of his way everyday to make sure we were happy. Lobster and steak, everyday. One day I asked for coconut and Eduardo sent someone out to a tree to cut some down and open it for me, above and beyond any service I have ever seen.

The pool staff was very friendly and kept my daughters busy while my husband and I relaxed. Thank you Jonathon, Abraham and Eduardo!!!!

Beach was great, yes, rocky in front of the hotel, but quick walk to the activities area and no rocks, not a big deal. Pool was clean, pretty and well maintained.

Top shelf drinks without even asking.

In my opinion, way better value than a Sandals property. There was a lively disco, great golf, and concierge helped with reservations at the restaurants, Though we were always happy with the buffet. We will definitely go back!!!!

Room Tip: we stayed at the lowest level category, would splurge for ocean or pool view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Sandra M
Dear Guest,

We thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, following your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We are very pleased to hear about your satisfaction, especially concerning our staff and our service quality. Your comfort and satisfaction are indeed our main concerns and we are happy you felt that. We will share your feedback with all of our staff members, especially with Eduardo, Jonathan and Abraham so that they will feel motivated by your words :-)

We hope to welcome you back very soon at Iberostar Grand Paraiso; thank you for your recommendation!

Best regards,

Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,303 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#19 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,755 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!