“The Only Way To Celebrate!!!”

Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
“The Only Way To Celebrate!!!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

The Iberostar Grand Paraiso in Riveria Maya has been the utmost in comfort, service and quality that I have ever experienced and it was a pleasure for my friends and I to celebrate with their establishment and staff who made us all feel like Kings and Queens. Many compliments and much gratitude to the Iberostar staff for everything they did to make my 50th birthday a day to remember!!! Thank you time and time again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 Thank bfersner
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the management and all our team, we want to thank you for choosing us to celebrate your 50th birthday. It was our pleasure to share this special time with you.

Reviews like yours are a great source of motivation; we are delighted to know that you went home with wonderful memories, and it makes us happy to know that our staff contributed to your having an unforgettable experience.

We always try to pamper our guests with the best service to make their stay as comfortable as possible and we are happy to see that we could reach our goal with you, and that you and your friends felt like Kings and Queens!

We look forward to seeing you soon at Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,440)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We wanted something very special for our 10th wedding anniversary. Well the grand was everything and more.
Staff were helpful, polite and would do anything to make your stay relaxing.
3 big pools 1 inside 2 outside all lovely and warm.
Hotel is built right on the Beach which is sandy only negative thing I can say is the wind you couldn't always swim in the sea.
Previous reviews say it all really. Wouldn't think twice about returning.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Ksmithuk
Dear Guest,

It is so rewarding to read reviews like yours, we are grateful for the time you took to share your experience with other travelers and also for the opportunity you gave us to be part of your 10th wedding anniversary.

It is very gratifying to read that we fulfilled your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay with our co-workers. Also we want to thank you for highlighting our facilities, such as our three pools.

Regarding the climate, we hope the next time you come to visit us it will be better and you have the chance to completely enjoy the sea.

We trust your stay was as pleasant as it could possibly be, and we would be absolutely delighted to welcome you again in the near future.

North London
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I've been back a couple of days from staying at this beautiful resort and would like to say a big thank you to everyone who replied to the many questions I posted on the Playa Paraiso forum which helped me to make the right decision to stay here and sorry for this review being so long.

This holiday was my surprise present to my husband for his 60th birthday and I wanted him to always remember this birthday for a very long time....and trust me - he will. We stayed from 11th May to 21st May. The main reason for choosing this resort was that my hubby took up golf 5 years ago and is golf mad.

We arrived about 9.30pm after flying from London Heathrow and changing at Miami. We were exhausted but soon perked up when our transport rolled up to the entrance of the Grand. We were immediately greeted with cold flannels and refreshing drinks and shown to reception....we didn't even have to take our luggage with us as straight away it was taken care of. Maybe because it was late, check-in only took about 10 minutes and that included a quick rundown on things we should know about the resort.

Room
When you first enter yours, you may notice a slight musty smell but after a few days this disappeared as the door to your room is always kept open when the room is being cleaned and we had the ceiling fan on most of the time so this circulated the air around so there was really no need to complain about it.

We were in room 7259 which overlooked the Tranquility pool...but because of large palm outside we didn't have a good view of it but that didn't matter to us. We were very near the a la carte restaurants and had two conceige desks just by our room. It wasn't far to walk to the reception/bar area where I could pick up WiFi (you don't need a password to use it).

Bed was much bigger than a king and very comfortable. We found no need to change our pillows for any listed on the pillow menu.

There is ample wardrobe and drawer space. We did bring some extra hangers with us but had to ask for more and they appeared in no time. Room safe is located in one of the wardrobes and has ample space to store an IPad, camera and small square jewellery box plus the usual things.

Sockets in the room take both 2-pin straight and 2-pin round adapters. There is also a socket for an Ethernet cable.

Room temperature is set at 21 degrees but I still found this to be too hot even with the ceiling fan on...so the butler arranged for it to be changed to 18 degrees and within a couple of hours the room temperature was perfect.

The door leading out to the balcony also has a sliding mosquito mesh door in front of it. We sat out there a couple of times...it has a lovely swing chair and sofa with comfy cushions. There is also a small table, facilities to dry clothes and a very powerful ceiling fan.

Bathroom is very large. There is a wash basin on each side of the bathroom...so no getting in each other's way. There is also an enormous jacuzzi bath, a large walk-in shower that has an overhead shower head with good water pressure. There is also a hairdryer in and toilet is in here in a glass enclosure.

TV was only used to watch the football as you can get FoxSport and ESPN.

Crisps and peanuts are also provided and a selection of teas and instant coffee. There is also a coffee maker and pouches of filter coffee.

We decided that on our last day we would see if it would be possible to have a look at one of the ocean front rooms (perhaps for the next time) so we asked if it would be ok and it was. We were shown a room on the 2nd floor in block 71 on the 2nd floor. Apart from the view, the room was the same as ours but had twin double beds. I can honestly say I'm glad I hadn't booked one of these rooms and used the money I had saved to fly business class....as the joy of being seated on upper deck was better than a room with an ocean view that we would hardly take advantage of as we were either by one of the pools by mid morning....playing golf.....in a restaurant or at a show every day/night.

Restaurants & eating
Even though you have your confirmation numbers by email for your dinner reservations, remember to collect your ticket confirmation to hand to the restaurant from one of the concierge desks. The week before we arrived I had made 8.30pm reservations for three restaurants. Apart from the Japanese where I should have made the reservation for an earlier time, I found 8.30pm was fine.

I also recommend that you try the Jambalaya restaurant at the Iberostar Lindo which is opposite the resort's shopping centre. It is an a la carte restaurant specialising in New Orleans-style Creole cuisine. We made reservations for this one once we got to the Grand and ate here twice and this was our favourite place to eat. Thank you Alberto for such wonderful service.

The Japanese restaurant is very good and the chefs very entertaining. We sat at the show table and had a lovely couple sitting beside us and opposite and had really good conversations but to the left of us the other couples didn't speak to one another so maybe the company may or may not depend if you enjoy eating here. If you prefer you can ask to be seated at a table for just you and your companion. On the evening of our second reservation at this restaurant I wasn't feeling well (too much sun) so hubby went by himself and also sat at one of the show tables and had a really enjoyable meal.

We ate at the Italian and my main meal was the Neapolitan calzone but the outside crust was very hard....lovely choice of starters though.

I didn't enjoy my meal at Toni’s Surf and Turf....my main was chicken but it wasn't cooked enough and the juices contained blood....I know I could have sent it back but didn't bother and just ate the lobster.

After about five days we found we were missing breakfast in favour of having wonderful buffet lunches at the La Brisa restaurant by the beach. My favourite meal was asking the chef to put some marinated prawns/shrimps you find near the salads on the grill and add the lobster meat from the tail together with a couple of small slices of the fish of the day.....add some of that garlic mayonaise they make - mmmmmm this was so delicious.

We also enjoyed the Brazilian buffet in the Bella Vista restaurant (this is also where you can have a late breakfast up to 11am). I also loved the desserts included with on the buffets....there was so much to choose from. I really don't understand why negative comments were posted about the food at this resort....there is so much variety.

Only had room service the night we arrived and hubby said the food was nice and hot and very tasty.

The Towel Game
If you want to get up at the crack of dawn to save your favourite sun lounger/bed then at the end of the day take the yellow beach towels with you for the next morning as they are not available until 7am. Because I found myself automatically waking up at 5.30 nearly every morning I was able to get very good spots.

After 7.30am a member of staff goes around and puts rolled up towels on the loungers/beds so it doesn't necessarily mean that they have been reserved by someone.

Tipping & Minibar
Bring lots of pesos in denominations of mostly 20s and 50s for tips. If I wanted to tip the person who replenished the mini bar I left it in a shot glass just inside the cupboard where the fridge was and the tip for the cleaner I left by one of the wash basins in the bathroom....and if we had a night turndown service the tip was left by the beside light.

We tipped the butler when he introduced himself to us on the first evening. Our minibar drinks were changed. We had top quality local beers...both dark and light varieties. We were also provided with a full bottle of Johnnie Walker Red label whisky and Torres brandy. Two bottles of Cava were provided for my husband's birthday.

We tipped after the second round of drinks at the pool and bars...our waiter at the a la carte restaurants we ate at and the waiter who attended to us at the buffet restaurants. All the staff we met gave outstanding service with a smile and deserve every tip they got.

We also tipped the staff who drove us in the carts to the other hotels. Hector who drove one of these carts was a real hoot and made us laugh so much with some of the things he came out with. My husband played golf three times here so also tipped the staff who came around with drinks and sandwiches.

Shows & Star Friends
The main shows held in the Coliseum which is near the front entrance, start at 10pm. I think some nights Casino nights started at 9pm just before the main show. We were lucky enough to see the new Beatles show which was excellent...also Boogie Nights and The Magic show were good.

Loved the enthusiasm of all the Star Friends especially Samantha, Abraham and Andrés who went around letting guests know which activities were about to start without pressuring you if you just wanted to laze by the pool. It was also fun when sitting by the main pool to see some of the games going on...especially the magic carpet.

Other things
Take a walk or ride to the shopping centre on the complex and visit the ice cream parlour where they also make crepes. My favourite crepe filling was custard and caramel syrup....devine. All free but do show your appreciation and leave a tip.

Visited the spa at the resort (there is also one at the shopping centre) and had my first ever massage. A lovely lady called Esther gave me a 'sensations' massage which lasted for 50 minutes and was ....sooooo relaxing.

Used the resort's shuttle service to go to Playa de Carmen. We went at 9am on a Saturday and very glad we did go early as it was so hot. Be prepared to say a polite no thanks when someone tries to sell you something. We ended up at Wal-Mart as I wanted some sweets you'd only find in Mexico to bring back for work colleagues. Also got some keyrings and other souvenirs in there which were much cheaper than the other shops. And since I couldn't try one of those famous flaming Mayan coffees at the resort....went to Starbucks for my usual extra shot Grande cappuccino.

Also bought with me one of those very small battery fans that has its own stand.... took to the restaurants and put it on the table beside me as some of the restaurants didn't seem to have any air conditioning and I got very hot.....all the staff admired it.

If you want your drinks made stronger then ask for this to be done.

Next year I'm hoping to do a holiday to Jamaica combining Orlando and if I do I'll definitely book the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall in Mo Bay.

Hubby was so pleased with this surprise and hasn't stopped talking about the Grand since we got back....we will definitely be going back.

Room Tip: In room that overlooks the Tranquility pool in Block 72 and on a high floor
6 Thank Londonersunseeker
Dear Guest,

We appreciate the time you invested in writing your review and on behalf of our management we would like to express our gratitude for your words, including the highlights of your trip as room, restaurants, shows and grounds.

Reviews like yours allow us to continuously improve the excellent service our guests deserve.

Your special mention of our staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that they play a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests and reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcoming you back soon and trust you will not hesitate to return.

england
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is our 2nd visit to the hotel and we found it to be really good like the first time it was spotless a from the front gate to the beach.
The rooms are total luxury with plenty of towels and extra toiletries and the mini bar was great.
The balcony with the love seat and swing were lovely comfy and cool..
The restaurants are great with a brilliant selection of foods for all tastes Toni's is the best by far the fillet stock cooked to perfection every time we went. Carlos who worked there in a different uniform from the others he seemed to be everywhere the Brasilia at lunch and sometime breakfast he was a complete star a credit to iberostar and Mexico ,remembering our names and being friendly. All staff are very polite and friendly.
The Japanese was a disappointment food was served at different times and tasteless however it has a lovely feel.
The wine menu is great we tried lots of different wines which we will be having at home.
We met some great people and had a ball with them thank you Julie and Vaughan I never laughed so much.
The lobby bar was great the service was fantastic those girls need a pay rise brilliant. The entertainment in the lobby bar was ok as well.
Issues.
The theatre is a great idea but the shows are the same as before dated and armature and it smells of damp really bad on every occasion but it is cool.
We though we were in Europe playing the towel on the sunbed game having to get up as early as 06:30 to get a sunbed on the beach for the day we would not mind if there were people on the beds but they must have put out the towels the night before and came down to them mid morning. we had to have what was left this is unacceptable for a 5 star hotel and we feel this would put us off returning as we were tired later in the day having to get up early to get when we wanted to relax in bed.
The only other little grip was we feel booking restaurants in advance is a little disappointing as I never know what type of food I fancy until I am getting ready to go out but you had to have what you booked or buffet as there was never any reservations left in you restaurant choice as they only had three sittings 6:30, 7:00 and 9:00 don't know what happened to to the 2hrs in between a little strange.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank loobyloo040
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us; we take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously as we constantly strive to achieve the utmost level of guest satisfaction.

We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you again. Your evaluation is of special importance to us as you have had the opportunity to compare our property and services over two times.

We very much regret that we could not meet your expectations in various areas. We are very sorry that you were not satisfied with the food at the Japanese restaurant and please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconveniences with the sunbeds on the beach and the needed information of our restaurants. At the Iberostar Grand Paraiso, we are committed to taking the suggestions of our guests very seriously. We have shared your comments with our department managers in order look into these issues and improve our service.

Once again we apologize for not being able to meet all your expectations. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again.

Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was our 3rd visit to the Grand; only stayed 3 nights this time, oceanfront, building 71, 3rd floor. All the details have been given in previous reviews. Everything was AS GOOD AS previous visits, EXCEPT the air-con. Was set at 18C, seemingly lowest it can go, and I was uncomfortably hot in the room all the time - I live in SW Florida, my AC is set at basically 22/23F and NO WAY was this 18F! Various visits from maintenance, but no change. Asked for a portable fan, but none available. Also, had problems with internet in room (took our own cable) and were told it was an hotel wide problem, but it wasn't.......just our room (for almost a day). Was worked on, but connection was sporadic - however, wifi is available in building lobby and at reception lobby.

We were on the beach all the time and never had a problem getting a palapa - plenty available at 10 am, just not on front row. As has been reported in other reviews, the pool, however was another story....getting a lounger in the water, no problem, but shade was unavailable basically after 7am. Management really needs to offer portable umbrellas or build more shade.

We knew we were going to be pickier this time round, as had just come from a stay at a resort at 1/3 of the price, with no problems....fab AC, great wifi reception in room.

The Grand is still the nicest resort we've stayed at, and nowhere's perfect, but great AC in the room and bathroom area is a biggie to me:):) (Ladies of a certain age, lllolol) Other guests thought it was fine......

1 Thank bridgenut
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Your constructive review is very important to us.

First of all we are grateful to read that it was your third visit; it is fantastic to know that you are still enjoying our hotel.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience you found during your stay. Regarding your comments about the air conditioning in your room, and the shade at the pool, we can assure you that we are working on these issues to give our guests the service they deserve. We really appreciate your comments and we are making our utmost to improve.

Concerning internet, thanks to our guests’ comments we are improving the service and introducing wifi in the rooms and many other common areas at the hotel.

It is good to know that despite these details you had a great experience.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again. In case you need any assistance before your visit please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed May 22, 2013

So much has already been written about this wonderful resort. As a frequent traveler to the Mayan Riviera over the past 14 years I hope these comment are helpful to you.

I often hear people ask, is this resort better than that resort, or is it “the best”. I can tell you without any reservation there is no “best resort”, everyone’s experience will be different based upon things you like.

What the Iberostar Grand will deliver is “the best balance” of all things. Is the pool the best, no but it’s awesome. Is the beach the best down there, no but it is very nice. Is the food the best, once again no but it ranks right up there with the best.

If you’re trying to decide on an adult’s only resort I can tell you that this resort is the one to book. In every category it ranks in the top 5 out of the 20+ resorts we have visited down there. The X factor will be the couples at the resort at your time of visit. It has been our experience that we meet so many new friends from all over the world here and the resort set the stage for a unforgettable experience.

Can I nit-pick at some things here, of course but when you have hundreds of guests passing in and out weekly anything to nit-pick is irrelevant. The resort strikes a balance as close to perfect as possible for this area.

One thing I will rave about is their buffet. Although the ala Carte restaurants are very good we actually prefer to just go to the buffet here. The options and food quality is better in many cases. The cooks are standing by to make you whatever you want. Lobster is abundant at the buffet as is many other delicious offerings. We like to load our plates in short time rather than guess what is coming. Most buffets I would avoid for dinner, not here.

This was our second visit here and for us it is really rare we make a third visit, we will here. If you’re new to the area or on the fence I want to reassure you that this resort should get first consideration as a great all around place to visit.

Room Tip: Don't stress about your room location, unless you absolutely must be beachfront all rooms are gr...
10 Thank Surfnorthwest
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your visit with our resort. We pride ourselves on being conveniently located, offering a wide array of food and beverages, luxurious accommodation and the very best in personalized service.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent Riviera Maya vacation and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Connecticut
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Just returned from this amazingly beautiful resort. Stayed at other AI's including Excellence PM , Excellence RM, & Secrets Maroma and all have their Pro's and Con's. NONE are Perfect. I've read diiferent opinions on all. What may not be a big deal for some can be a deal Breaker for others. Depends on where your own prioritys lie. Here's what I've got.
BUILDING & GROUNDS...AMAZING, modern, breathtaking, clean, grand & like a kingdom.
SERVICE.. Great accept for slower on beach.But, great at ALL restaruants, bars, and phoning guest service for things like a bottle of chilled wine delivered each day. WOW!
STAFF.. The most friendly of all resorts we've been to.
CLEANLINESS.. Exceptionally clean. Even saw staff washing wall fixtures in hallway.Shiny sqeeky clean.
POOL ..Fun games by activity pool daily. Towel game is OUT of control though. If you didn't get up at the crack of dawn to throw a towel or item on a pool lounger in the shade you wouldn't find one without someones items on it(whether they actually used the chairs or not)There just isn't enough shade area by pool and people got Greedy about it. A few tiles where missing in pool but that isn't an issue for me.
BEACH.. A bit rocky even if you walk aways it's still rough swimming ( not enough to keep me out though) ..NO bars or bathrooms close to beach area was kind of a set back and I would have liked to see more entertainment on the beach such as live music, games, coookouts, etc.
ROOMs... Nice but basic looking ( just comparing to some other AI resorts we personally have stayed at) Soap dispensers in shower seemed a bit "industrial" and you had to keep pushing to get an adequet amount of soap or shampoo. Had to call guest service just to get Bar soap.. go figure. Maybe housekeeping missed it.Don't know??
FOOD.. The best steak I ever had -Toronados of beef --had at Italian and Gourmet Delicious food at all . Reservations needed for dinner at a la carte restaurants but worth it for the personal attention and 5 star service.The only options besises room serv for breakfast and luch are buffets, but you could get menus and order if you would rather do that. What did they have?..lobster, shrimp, sushi, carapaccio, smoked salmon, Guacamole, risotto, caviar,coconut ice cream(these were my Faves but you get the idea) Got an added bonus of 4lbs. to take home with me.:) If I were to become overweight that would be the way to do it.
CONS #1 Towel game #2 No beach entertainment #3 Shows start too late 10pm

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

9 Thank carogal
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to write a detailed review. Both your positive and negative comments have been forwarded to the head managers.

Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced during your stay.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and provide you with a great stay showing that we have improved our service for you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#23 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!