“Fabulous resort”

GreenLeadersGold level
St. Louis MO
“Fabulous resort”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This was our second trip to the Iberostar Grand Paraiso from April 12 – April 19. (previously there in November, 2012). We went there specifically because of the unlimited golf last November, and returned for sun and golf in April, although it is not all-inclusive golf any more.

The Grand is wonderful – the entire complex is gorgeous, and both times we had a room in the main building which is convenient for everything. No problem getting reservations at the restaurants, even though the hotel was full the week we went. The food at all of the restaurants was wonderful.

The golf course if fantastic – we played 5 days on both trips, and I cannot stop dreaming about going back. Each hole is unique, picturesque and the guys who work at the course and the pro are friendly, helpful and are excellent ambassadors for the Playa Paraiso Golf Club.

The only negative that we have about this resort is the lounge chair hoarders. Totally ridiculous that they allow people to put, for instance, a book or coffee cup on a lounge chair and be gone for most of the day. All week we saw people with four different spots: they had a spot at the calm pool, a spot under the cabanas, lounge chairs in the pool and then lounge chairs over by the afternoon shade. We did not get back from golf til about 1 p.m. or so and most days could not find a spot and not even find a spot at the beach for the same reason. By our second day, one of the pool guys said he would find us a spot so that's what we had to do every day, and he did find unused space for us and move the hoarders and that was great, but I just wish the guests would be courteous to other guests by freeing up the space they are not using.

We love the Grand and will return again as soon as we can!

Room Tip: The main building is convenient for everything
2 Thank lopfeiffer
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear guest;

First of all thank you for giving us the opportunity to welcome you again. Your loyalty is greatly appreciated.

It is good to know that you enjoyed your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso including our accommodations, restaurants and golf course.

Regarding the unlimited golf that you received last November as you wrote in your review, it was a specific promotion that we do not have any more, but we are happy to read that you enjoyed our golf course thoroughly. We can assure you that the staff at the Playa Paraiso Golf Club feel happy to see your lovely compliments towards them.

As far as lounge chairs, let us offer you an apology, we are taking your comments to heart and are working hard to improve this area.

We look forward to welcoming you soon at your home away from home.

Kind regards,

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,432)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We had a 2 week honey moon at The Grand in April and it certainly lived up to the great reviews. I will try not to repeat what has been said before. As you arrive you are marveled by the beauty of this hotel and the opulence its oozes in a 1920s art deco style. There is a wonderful atrium which the mariachi band plays in on Mexican night. We were treated very well and the standard of high level service was constant whether you tipped or not. The management run a very efficient hotel and all the staff seemed to be happy. It always felt like everyone genuinely wanted you to have a great time and if you needed anything it was never too much trouble. I understand you are paying for good service but here you felt the extra personal touch due to this there is a lot of return customers who have had their special requests catered for before they have even arrived. You would only have to say your name once and somehow they would remember you for the rest of your stay. I am terrible with names and I had to keep glancing at their names badges and still often get it wrong. All of the staff from gardeners to management worked very hard but always had time to say hello and wish us a good day and it was appreciated we could reply in Spanish. We learnt some basic manners in Spanish which put a smile on everyone’s faces. There was a mixed crowd at this hotel and we met some very nice people.
The food , oh the food . Being English I felt that I had nothing to compare this with, The Grand was on a different level to our local Tobey Carvery . There was always a great selection of seafood, but I loved the steaks whether at the buffet our the a la carte restaurants. I was told by the chef that at great expense they imported all the steaks from America, and the best burgers I have ever eaten were kobe beef from Japan and lamb chops from New Zealand.

The alcohol, oh the alcohol. A great selection of top brand drinks. I found myself drinking Glenfiddich 12yr old single malt at the pool bar at 9am. I felt bad for drinking it in a plastic cup but after the second one I didnt feel bad anymore. There was a good selection of cocktails that were knocked up very quickly and professionally even at busy times, the barmen were truly magnificent and you never had to wait long for a drink.
As I had everything I need at the main pool we only ventured on the beach for a short walk or quick dip in the sea and there was usually a red flag flying. It was very beautiful and the breeze was a welcome relief from the glaring sun. Plenty of sun beds everywhere and you could get one any time of the day but if you wanted a cabana or prime location you had to be up a little earlier.

As mentioned the shows were good with a lovely air condition theatre with drink table service.
The Maya hotel next door has a bar in the Mayan Pyramid you can see from the Grand Lobby. This was worth a visit but the hotel pools were full of children, which is fine but we left ours at home so we could enjoy the peace. Also the food wasn’t as good so we quickly scurried back to the Grand. We didnt try the a la cartes at the other hotels so cant comment. I would recommend a trip to the Galaxy nightclub complete with Star Wars theme. It was great fun and although very hard to get drinks at the bar all we had to do was nip outside to the bar in the shopping centre and take our drinks back in with us . This is all on the Iberostar complex and is all part of the A1. We traveled around the site which is easily walk able, by golf cart which we never had to wait long for.

I could go on and on but I am sure the other 1700 reviewers rating this hotel excellent have covered everything I haven’t. We found our stay perfect and would recommend this hotel.

9 Thank Gazx
Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you got home safely. Thank you so much for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso to spend your honeymoon!!

We really appreciate the time you invested in writing a review on trip advisor. We would like to express our gratitude for the kind words you have submitted about our Hotel and its service.

We also appreciate the fact that you made the effort of learning some Spanish for making it easy to get through you for all of our staff. Muchas Gracias!

It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed your honeymoon, and you had a great time during your stay with us. It is always our pleasure to have and assist guests like you.

We have forwarded your email to all our Department Managers as it is always motivating for the staff to receive comments like yours.

We hope to be able to welcome you back in future.

vancouver
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We spent 7 days here, April 29-May 6. Things started out well at the airport, the customs/immigration area was empty upon arrival and we had booked a private transfer. It took @ 35 minutes from touchdown and we were on our way to the resort ! Greeted at the front desk with a cool towel but no welcoming drink. Decided to upgrade to oceanfront in building # 71. Absolutely stunning 3rd floor view. If this resort does provide butlers, we never were met by one, maybe I was mistaken.Same as the" pillow menu". I guess I was dreaming about that too. That being said, we had a super time here. The service and friendliness of the staff were very consistent, you are treated great and the staff work really hard to make sure the guests have a good time. Humberto at the lobby bar made wicked chocolate martini's and poured a mean Baileys on ice for me after dinner each night ! Same goes for Daniels cucumber mojitos at the pool bar. All the a la carte restaurants were excellent, great service and the food was always delicious. A decent included wine list was available too. Only problem was the available reservation times for dinner, it was either 6:30 or 9:00 o'clock whenever I tried to book, so we ate late pretty well every night. The breakfast and lunch buffets had a great selection and the dinner buffet on Mexican night was outstanding. Loved the lobby bar , the staff always brought to your table the requested bottle and poured a healthy shot of whatever you were drinking, lots of top shelf booze on hand. The minibar/fridge was well stocked with hard liqour/wine and beers. The interior main hallway was over the top gorgeous, which didn't surprise us as this is seems to be an Iberostar trade mark at the other resorts we have visited as well. The grounds etc. were always kept immaculate. As other reviewers have aluded to there is wi-fi only available at the lobby or within proximity to the conceirge whenever her computer is running. Not a huge concern to me but I'm sure some will feel this is a little bit annoying. The "towel game" is in effect here for sure, a lack of lounge mattresses also adds to the problem( more lounges than mattresses). On our last day we had our lounges removed by a staff member and given to someone else because we had towels on them but no "personal items" ! Come on !!. In all my visits to Iberostar properties this has never happened before. Normally I would go down and put towels on 2 lounges @ 8:30, go and have breakfast and return in @ 1 hour. Dear wife was rather choked. Went and spoke to the conceirge and had the problem dealt with but it left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. This resort needs to deal with this, maybe a have a few spare lounges within close proximity to the palapas. Always seemed to be more guests than lounges available. Overall we enjoyed ourselves, loved the staff, the food ,and the view from our room. Most definately we had a fine relaxing time. Yes, you pay considerably more for this place, but if you want to splurge, go for it !

Room Tip: go for the oceanfront suite, worth the price
4 Thank jacks0n57
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip advisor. We value all guest feedback as it is an opportunity to continue improving our services and products for our guests. We were of course most concerned to read your review about your disappointments due to butler service as it is one of part strongest part of service.

We have noted your feedback regarding the points you have so kindly brought to our attention. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we are known for and can fully understand your disappointments. Please note that we have personally passed your feedback to all the department heads concerned in order to review our practices, processes, and procedures, most especially when we are dealing with our guests.

We are here to serve you and look forward to welcoming you again.

New York City
Reviewed May 9, 2013

What an amazing resort! I had a great time, beautiful facilities, very personable and accommodating staff. My suite was impeccable, the food was very good and the pool/beach areas were beautiful and also well maintained. My only regret was not trying out all of the restaurants for dinner. I will definitely return...Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: I loved my junior suite with pool/garden view which was very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank mtonyc
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso. It is our pleasure to know that you fully enjoyed your vacation with us.

We are delighted to read that you highlighted the beauty and cleanliness of our facilities, the food, the pool and the service provided by our staff.

Last but not least, thank you for sharing your opinion with other travelers and for letting us know that you had a wonderful experience.

We hope you do have the opportunity to visit us again and try all our restaurants a la carte! Our staff would be absolutely delighted to accommodate you in the near future.

Leonardtown, Maryland
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the sister hotel on the same property - the Maya - six years ago for our honeymoon. Since our honeymoon, we've traveled to Jamaica and Dominica Republic. We decided to return to Mexico for our 6th anniversary. I was slightly nervous that we held the bar high because it was our honeymoon, not because of the hotel. I have to say my expectations were surpassed and Mexico is indeed my favorite of these other Caribbean locations. You will not find the service and smiles you get here in those other places. Other vacation couples we met also said they'd stayed at other Playa Del Carmen hotels and this Iberostar resort was the best. The food was diverse with many dinner options available - fine dining, buffet, room service. We also enjoyed the 10 pm shows so much we topped off dinner every night at the theater. A special thanks to the Star Friends staff - Edver, Edwaurdo and Christin!

3 Thank Jott42107
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your visit at the Grand!

We appreciate that you took the time to specify the highlights of your trip: service, food and entertainment. Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests.

We thank you sincerely for having chosen the Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent Mexican vacation and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Quality manager
Sterling, VA
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Upon arrival, staff greets you with "Welcome Home". This was a return trip to the Iberostar Grand for my husband and I. I can say without a doubt that the quality and service of this resort gets better each and every time. I must say it is a little slice of heaven on earth. We are Iberostar resort lovers!

My adult son came with my husband and I and he was totally blown away! We had beachfront rooms and the views are incredible. The resort caters to whatever you need and is peaceful and restful. A wonderful place to go and unwind from stressful and hectic jobs!

The food is wonderful, We enjoyed each of the restaurants. We had a bit of an issue with the Surf and Turf restaurant the first time we went but the staff made certain that the second time we received 5-star food and service.

My husband had major back surgery about 1 1/2 years ago and the staff went out of their way to assist him whenever needed. The golf cart service at resort is excellent and made things so much easier for my husband.

Want to give a thanks to Carlos. He went out of his way to always say hello to us and make us feel welcomed.

I cannot wait to return. I loved our stay so much that I will be going for my annual "girls trip" to the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in July!

Room Tip: If you select beachfront you are literally right on the beach. Most spectacular views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank VADoe
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and for writing your kind review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay so much! We hope your husband feels much better.

Thank you also for your compliments - our whole team really appreciates them.

It would be a pleasure for us to contribute to your positive travel experiences in the future too! We hope you have a great time at Iberostar Grand Bavaro :-)

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand for 7 days in April 2013 and from the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble. Greeted by the bellboy with a cold towel as he took our bags from us, then offered a cocktail or champagne whilst we checked in. When we arrived at our 'Standard Room' it just got even better. The room was more like an apartment than a room... the mini bar was fully stocked with everything you could want plus nibbles on the side in case you got peckish. Not long after we settled in our butler arrived to give us information on the hotel and amenities and told us if there was anything we needed to just call.

The buffet was very nice sometime a bit cold but understandable considering the amount of people being catered for. We also tried the Surf and Turf restaurant YUM is all I can say and if you go I highly recommend you try the fried ice cream!! We actually booked a second evening we liked it so much!!

The complex itself was lovely we had a wander around (you could get a buggy if you didnt want to walk) to the other hotels which were all lovely and well kept but not quite as 'grand' as the Grand.

The sevice was brilliant you couldn't fault it and they werent all just after a tip. Hugo the waiter was one of our favourites he made us chuckle (private joke).

On arrival I told our butler that we were there for my partners birthday and on the day they arrived at our door with a bottle of fizz for him. Very nice touch.

I would definitely return to the Grand (if and when we can afford to!)

3 Thank EmNJon
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your precious time to write your detailed review about Grand Paraiso Hotel. We are delighted to read about your positive experience and impressions since your arrival and throughout your stay.

It is a pleasure to know that you were satisfied with the room size as well as the minibar restock, our wide variety of restaurants and specialized service.

We are already looking forward to being your host again. Kindly let us ensure you that we will do our utmost to provide you with a first class service, it is always a pleasure to serve you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,584 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,877 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!