“Excellence Every Time”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sterling, VA
“Excellence Every Time”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Upon arrival, staff greets you with "Welcome Home". This was a return trip to the Iberostar Grand for my husband and I. I can say without a doubt that the quality and service of this resort gets better each and every time. I must say it is a little slice of heaven on earth. We are Iberostar resort lovers!

My adult son came with my husband and I and he was totally blown away! We had beachfront rooms and the views are incredible. The resort caters to whatever you need and is peaceful and restful. A wonderful place to go and unwind from stressful and hectic jobs!

The food is wonderful, We enjoyed each of the restaurants. We had a bit of an issue with the Surf and Turf restaurant the first time we went but the staff made certain that the second time we received 5-star food and service.

My husband had major back surgery about 1 1/2 years ago and the staff went out of their way to assist him whenever needed. The golf cart service at resort is excellent and made things so much easier for my husband.

Want to give a thanks to Carlos. He went out of his way to always say hello to us and make us feel welcomed.

I cannot wait to return. I loved our stay so much that I will be going for my annual "girls trip" to the Iberostar Grand Bavaro in July!

Room Tip: If you select beachfront you are literally right on the beach. Most spectacular views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank VADoe
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and for writing your kind review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you enjoyed your recent stay so much! We hope your husband feels much better.

Thank you also for your compliments - our whole team really appreciates them.

It would be a pleasure for us to contribute to your positive travel experiences in the future too! We hope you have a great time at Iberostar Grand Bavaro :-)

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,432)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand for 7 days in April 2013 and from the moment we arrived nothing was too much trouble. Greeted by the bellboy with a cold towel as he took our bags from us, then offered a cocktail or champagne whilst we checked in. When we arrived at our 'Standard Room' it just got even better. The room was more like an apartment than a room... the mini bar was fully stocked with everything you could want plus nibbles on the side in case you got peckish. Not long after we settled in our butler arrived to give us information on the hotel and amenities and told us if there was anything we needed to just call.

The buffet was very nice sometime a bit cold but understandable considering the amount of people being catered for. We also tried the Surf and Turf restaurant YUM is all I can say and if you go I highly recommend you try the fried ice cream!! We actually booked a second evening we liked it so much!!

The complex itself was lovely we had a wander around (you could get a buggy if you didnt want to walk) to the other hotels which were all lovely and well kept but not quite as 'grand' as the Grand.

The sevice was brilliant you couldn't fault it and they werent all just after a tip. Hugo the waiter was one of our favourites he made us chuckle (private joke).

On arrival I told our butler that we were there for my partners birthday and on the day they arrived at our door with a bottle of fizz for him. Very nice touch.

I would definitely return to the Grand (if and when we can afford to!)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank EmNJon
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your precious time to write your detailed review about Grand Paraiso Hotel. We are delighted to read about your positive experience and impressions since your arrival and throughout your stay.

It is a pleasure to know that you were satisfied with the room size as well as the minibar restock, our wide variety of restaurants and specialized service.

We are already looking forward to being your host again. Kindly let us ensure you that we will do our utmost to provide you with a first class service, it is always a pleasure to serve you.

Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at the Grand for 6 days. We were greeted with cold towel (no drinks though) and immediately escorted in. One of the front desk people took us to the bar and said she would check to see if our room was ready. A few minutes later we were carted away to our room. The butler arrived about 5 minutes after arriving. He said whatever we needed, he would assist us. We then didn't see him for two days...and the rest of the trip he was off talking to others who worked at the resort and paid little to no attention to the guests at our building. We had an Ocean Front room. These rooms are about 30 - 40 yards from the ocean. You walk into your entry way which contained two closets and a safe. The bathroom had a full marble floor with separate shower, two-person jacuzzi and separate toilet stall area. There were two sinks on opposite ends of the bathroom and plenty of towels. We asked for a king bed. There also is a small area beyond the bed area that contains a desk and fainting couch. You then open the patio doors to your balcony. The balcony contains a hanging love seat and a small sleeping area with mosquito netting. Didn't see many mosquitoes though. Maybe it should have been iguana netting as those things were all over the place. We discussed sleeping with the door open to listen to the ocean but there were three small iguanas on the walls that we could see and didn't want to wake up to one on our chests.

The desk contains a couple of the very few plug ins in your room. There was a jack for your computer access, but we never were able to access internet service without going down to the Concierge desk in our building or going to some place where one of THEIR computers were plugged in and being used. Cell phone service was as bad...requiring to be near the concierge desks or front lobby. Had I know that it would be that bad, I wouldn't have paid for the international upgrade with my phone service...but I digress.

Service itself (other than the butler) was amazing. The pool servers was spectacular as were the wait staff at all the restraunts. I tended to tip well and got better attention than most. (Most people didn't tip at all - even though it is included in your price, I strongly suggest bringing tip money just to show some appreciation)

The pools were breath-taking. There are the main pool, the 'tranquility' pool (quiet pool) and the indoor pool. They tended to clean these pools either very early in the morning or during dinner time when the pools were empty and the guests were busy eating.

There are 4 themed restraunts and two buffets. The themed restraunts were Japanese, Italian, Surf and Turf and French. There was going to be an Italian night while we were there so we tried the others. The Japanese restraunt was so-so. We asked for our beer medium rare and got well. We asked for our duck medium rare and got well done as well. The Surf and Turf food was amazing. The steak there was made perfectly as was the lobster. The French Restraunt was very good. Service could have been better, but the food was quite nice. The buffets shocked me. I guess I was expecting OCB food and ended up with some of the resorts best eating. The main buffet serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. There is another buffet closer to the ocean that does lunch and dinner. The ocean side buffet is closed on the Themed Buffet Nights.

As others have stated...this is an adult only resort. 18+. I did see some topless sunbathers but very few.

As a non drinker, they always questioned when I asked for drinks without alcohol. They always got a confused look on their faces and made certain they heard me right. Since I was tipping, they never questioned more than once and knew who I was each day.

They do have nightly shows. We saw only one so take this for what you will. We saw Boogie Nights. The music was 70s and fun but the show is something you would expect at a High School musical. One table at our show was...quite....lit and were fist shaking to Abba.

The posts on people getting up at 5am-7am to reserve their chairs is not a joke. Even at 80% full, it was difficult to get a chair in the shade. They would come out at 5am and not even be poolside until noon. It did tend to cheese me off a bit but there were plenty of chairs not shaded.

Jorge saw to our every need for shuttling services and Irma was quite fun at the main buffet each night.

Just so you do know ahead of time, this resort is 30 minutes from Cancun and 30 minutes from Playa del Carmen. To see 'Mexico', you will have to shuttle to one of the two towns. The resort consists of 4 other resorts that people staying at the Grand can go to. The other resorts cannot enter the Grand though. There is a small 'mall' area for shopping. There are 3 restraunts down there. A hamburger place (was never open when we were down there), a taco place and a crepe/ice cream place. These are included in your all inclusive price.

Room Tip: Ocean Front was quite nice if you can afford it. The air conditioner controls are by the bed and te...
2 Thank manabout2wn
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso. Please allow us to express our sincerest apologies for the hiccups that occurred during your stay.

At Iberostar, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the challenges described to prevent future occurrence.

Again, we sincerely appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend away from the kids here May 3rd-6th 2013.
The place was beautiful. It was VERY clean!The food was OK. The 1 thing that was odd was this weird musty smell on the ground floor rooms as well as in the theater, but i think i must have got use to it cause it didnt bother me after a couple days. It was not very crowded but there were never any pool chairs available even when we were down by 10 am. i did enjoy the quit pool the best, there was never more than 2-3 other people swimming in there with us. the hot tubs were hit or miss, only 1 out of like 6 were ever really hot, but its hot there so i didnt mind as i enjoy the pool better. this is a great place for anyone who enjoys seafood (which i dont care for) they serve so much at every meal. We only ate at Tony's and it was GREAT! the buffett for lunch was good but i could see how it would get old if you are there for a week or 2 as they serve the same thing over and over. The dinner buffett was good one day and the next i didnt like ANYTHING that was served (they do some sort of theme for dinner buffetts) but at least you can order room service. the breakfast was good and if you sit outside in the morning you will get up close with the little Coati's (i think thats how its spelled) as they are like little bandits! be carefull if your out at night as the misquitos got me good! the butler service is kind of a joke as we only seen ey we arrived and we had a problem with our hot water and the girls at the service desk helped us out with all of our needs while we were there. the resort and complex is big so bring walking shoes. we took a golf cart ride to the little shopping center there and on the way back the battery died so we had to walk.. which was fine but the other couple on the cart were older and i thought they should have called to have them picked up by someone as it is at the bottom of the hill and they seemed tired already.
All and all i had a great time and wish we had more time to spen there and would go back again!

2 Thank Heather S
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you.

Your evaluation is of special importance to us, as we are committed to listen to our guests and be constantly trying to improve our services; we already passed you comments on the food to our executive chef and please receive our sincerest apologies for the golf cart ride.

We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks, April 21st - May 6th 2013. We love Mexico, and have previously stayed at other 5 star all-inclusive, adult-only properties, such as The Royal, Cancun, The Royal, Playa del Carmen and also Temptation resort in Cancun. This hotel is by far the grandest!

After an 10 hour flight from the UK, we were exhausted, however our spirits were soon lifted when we entered this gorgeous hotel and were greeted by staff like a member of their family. Our bags were whisked away, we were handed a refreshing cocktail, and we soon relaxed and settled into a comfortable bliss that lasted for the next 2 weeks. We stayed in building 72, on the 3rd floor, which overlooked the tranquility pool, which we thought was the perfect place to be as it was quiet but still central.

The location of the resort is right on a white powdery beach with turquoise ocean, we had a photo shoot done on the beach and the pictures have come out great! (thank you Erica) We did lots of beach walks, and when we got back to the hotel, we always stopped to admire where we were staying. The building is so impressive, If you weren't a guest already, one look from the beach and you would want to be!

Throughout our stay, every aspect of happiness had been anticipated, and catered for. We paid approximately £1,000 more than we normally pay for a holiday to stay here, but the difference was evident everywhere. Luxury surrounds at every turn, from the beautiful bedroom with the super soft bed and heavenly jacuzzi to the stunning gardens and spa - pampering to our every whim. The jaw-dropping grounds with manicured lawns, tropical flowers, coconut trees and banana plants, the marbeled walkways, the breathtaking chandeliers, the classy restaurants, no expense has been spared to provide a truly stunning setting.. At times we felt like we were movie stars!

We savoured every mouthful of delicious food, served up by the world’s finest staff. The quality of the food is excellent, the best we've had at any resort. There was so much choice, everything was fresh, tasty and beautifully presented. Don't get me started on the desserts - oh my, I tried hard not to be greedy, but I was not always successful. We tried lots of different foods that we wouldn't normally have access to at home - grilled lobster and quails eggs with caviar for lunch anyone? They even serve afternoon tea and cakes at the pool at 4pm everyday. They offer ice cream popsicles to you whilst you are sunbathing, and when drinking n the lobby bar, you will be given little bowls of popcorn. The hotel has its own Somelier, who can advise you on suitable wines if that is what you prefer to drink.

Our favourite restaurants, in order:
1. Toni's Surf and Turf - the fillet mignon steak was sublime
2. The Gourmet - elegant dining - try the frois gras
3. The Italian - lovely setting with its own gondiler!
4. Japansese - show cooking at this one. Not my type of food, but a good opportunity to mix with other guests

We did visit the sister hotels, in particular the Snake Bar at the Maya and we walked to all the other pools, but believe me, they do not compare to the Grand - they were crowded with kids and noise - we quickly hop-footed it back to the luxury of our own little paradise!

I have been to some beautiful places around the world, but the difference that sets the Grand apart is the staff.

The staff we encountered here could open their own Charm School. It was never forced or intrusive or fussy, just natural - always so genuine, so polite, so friendly, so helpful, so utterly charming. They made us feel like nothing was too much trouble, and that it was their pleasure to serve us. In fact, it was OUR pleasure to encounter them. The poolside drink service was so quick, we never got thirsty once. One day I came back to my room to find that our butler had placed all the ingredients for me to make my favourite cocktail, plus a bucket of ice for us. We would come in from dinner to find a rose petal foam bath ready and waiting…..I would look in my wardrobe to find that my laundry had been silently returned, beautifuly pressed for me….. I am wondering how I am going to adjust to life without a butler at home?!

We saw some great professional shows in the theatre, which included a live band. I particularly enjoyed watching tributes to The Beatles, Abba, Cher, Michael Jackson, and Grease. I also liked the magic show, and I am still perplexed as to where those 3 birds disappeared to. The start time of 10pm was perfect for us, as we always had dinner at 8.30pm. There are 33 entertainment staff at this hotel, all working hard to entertain you and make sure you enjoy yourself. There was so much to get involved in. Some of the thngs we enjoyed were the salsa lessons (watching the video of my partner attempting the moves has provided much amusement) a bike tour (useful to aquaint yourself with the resort) aqua aerobics, cooking demonstrations and bingo. You could choose to do as much or as little as you wanted. My partner didn’t try the golf course as it was too hot, but he could have played volleyball, achery, tennis the list was endless. Our favourite spot to relax was the tranquility pool, where there were always beds available.

And after two weeks of absolute heaven, we know that we are spoilt now, and that all future trips will be forever compared to this one. Hotels in Eurpoe pale into insignificance when compared with the elegance and high standards at this resort.

If you can't find happiness during your stay here, I really do question what it would take to please you. The staff will go above and beyond to meet any expectations you may have. Special thanks to Claribel our charming hostess and Victor, our wonderful butler. We miss you already.

The experience we had here was second to none. It was something we will never forget, our memories will stay with us forever. So come here and live the dream for yourself. Life’s too short not to.

Room Tip: building 72 is great, overlooking the tranquility pool - choose 3rd floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
19 Thank Mollie-Pops
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. We hope that you had a pleasant return journey!

We were blown away after reading your comments about the hotel, the facilities and service. Thank you so much for your positive comments regarding the employees, we are happy to know that the time that you have spent with us was worthwhile!

We have shared this beautiful review with the entire staff at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. These reviews are always a high motivation to keep up the hard work.

It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope that you will consider us as your vacation destination the next time you are thinking of visiting the Riviera Maya.

Sea Girt, New Jersey
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at the resort (April 27th - May 4th). We are in our late 50's. We have been to the Grande in Punta Cana. We chose this place because it was all adults property and included golf.
The grounds are beautiful and the pool area is immaculate. I really enjoyed the salt water pool. It beats chlorine. The beach is clean. There is an area cleared of rocks where you can walk out into the ocean. There was some surf while we were there so snorkeling directly off the beach was not possible. There were a lot activities you could chose to participate in or not. There was no pressure to participate. I enjoyed the pool aerobics and the yoga. My husband enjoyed the pool games. The chairs were spaced out around the pool so you never felt crowded. Go to the indoor pool and experience the shower massages in the pool. There are about 6 of them and it feels great on your neck and shoulders.
We had an ocean view room on the 3rd floor in building 74. That is the top floor in all the buildings. We overlooked the quiet pool and could see the ocean in the distance. We could also see the cruise ships go by. We enjoyed a glass of wine and fruit and cheese platter from our balcony before going to dinner. Room service delivered the platter within 10 minutes.
Service was excellent. The entire staff was friendly, polite, and spoke English well. They could not do enough for you. One example that comes to mind is when I was sitting by the pool blowing up a raft from home, the young girl in the towel booth came running out and said I have a pump and can do that for you.
Food was very good. We had no problems with making reservations at the restaurants. Sometimes we had to be flexible with our time. There was a huge selection of items at all the buffets. There was nothing lacking. They did a good job with the presentation of food. It never looked picked over. My husband and I tried just about everything and never felt sick.
We both took advantage of the 2 free rounds of golf. The course is well-maintained and can be challenging. It is located right there at the resort making it very convenient. We brought our own clubs. I think it costs $60 to rent.
The only complaint I have is the room was a little warm for me during the night. I turned the AC down to the lowest setting but it never reached the temperature of 65 F. There was a fan in the room but not over the bed. I would also like to make a request to the guests staying at the resort. If you leave the pool or beach area, please pick up your towel. This allows others to use the chair.
The resort provided us time to relax, be pampered, and escape reality for awhile. Now it's back to work. Ugh!

Room Tip: Building 72 is centrally located. The villas are a distance from the main areas. Try to get an upp...
6 Thank Beachlover08750
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for your kind words.

No doubt will our team be motivated by your generous compliments. Your memorable experience is a true testament of the dedication of our staff to ensure that you have all the necessary ingredients for an unforgettable vacation.

We are really sorry for the inconvenient that you had in the room during your stay, as you know for all the staff and the management the most important thing is to exceed your expectations. Temperature in the rooms can be regulated by a few degrees from the room, but if guest wish to lower their temperature more, a call to Front Desk can solve the situation.

We hope that when planning your next vacation get-away, you will have no hesitation in giving us the honor to serve you again.

Lithonia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I travel extensively and I am very selective about where I stay. I prefer upscale hotels and I never book a hotel without checking the reviews and/or researching them on tripadvisor. This time I traveled with 5 other ladies to celebrate our friend's birthday and the "birthday girl" selected this hotel. Upon arrival to the resort, they take you directly to your room where the butler checks you in. The Iberostar Grand Paraiso appears to be an older property with a few updates. In my opinion, it's definitely not a 5 star. It's more like a 3.5 star trying to get to the 5 star status. It's all adult which made it heaven. The grounds are pretty well maintained and there are some beautiful pool and oceanviews. There are several other Iberostar hotels which share the same property but we never had a reason to visit the other properties other than to go to the club. Since it's a large property, you can either walk(bring comfortable shoes) or catch a golf cart to wherever you'd like to go. The entertainment was Excellent. Make sure to go to the Karoke bar. Thanks to "The Star Friends" Entertainment committee...Edwardo, Nelvy, Carlos and all the others who work exceptionally hard to make the resort pleasurable! Chef Olivia was wonderful too. Also, be sure to bring small bills(1's and 5"s) to tip because the employees work hard and very, very, very long shifts and they never ask for anything extra but deserve so much more! Also, remember to get up early and play the towel game(put towels on the chairs at the beach and/or the pool) by 7 a.m. otherwise you will not have a spot to relax by either. I never saw them actually cleaning the salt water pool which is the main pool. I'm thinking that may be the reason why the bottom was slick and the grout lines and tile in the pool seemed to have a little mold or at least some type of slime.

We had Oceanfront rooms in building 70. Beautiful view of the beach from that lobby. The room was large and pretty clean. The bed was comfortable. The floor in the bathroom and the room is marble so be very careful coming out of the shower or into the room with wet feet or shoes. The balcony was a nice size and included a hanging, sling like chair and outdoor sofa that overlooked the Ocean. Nice added touch. Our room however, had a terrible smell of mold the entire 5 days and 4 nights we were there. It worsened whenever we turned on the air so we tried to keep air off and the door to the balcony opened whenever we were in the room. My roomate and I both awakened with stopped up noses for the nights that we had to sleep with the air. The tile behind the shower wasn't that clean. The toliet would make this funny noise like it was refilling every 5 -10 minutes or so. The electrical outlets in the room didn't work for most of the trip but periodically one of them on one side of the bathroom and one by the table worked every now and then so we could periodically charge our phone or use the flat iron. The food at the speciality resturants was much better than the buffet so make your reservations before going to the resort. Moreover, one day, one of my friends bit down on some type of bead like item in her ice cream at the buffet resturant. She showed the manager and all he could say was that maybe someone's bead from their hair fell into the ice cream bucket. No real apology.

Overall, we had fun, met a ton of people and the entertainment made the trip worthwhile. However, I would not chose to stay here again nor would I recommend it to friends. It's truly a 3.5 star attempting to achieve 5 star status. Last year I stayed at Live Aqua in Cancun and loved it. It's a never property, beautiful rooms that smelled like the spa all over.

For Ziplining: Sevatica(park) if you don't want to get wet
Xplorer(park) if you want to zip into a water landing, go through a waterfall, and
down a water slide. Take water shoes,swim shorts/pants/suit and a change of
clothes.
Yatche or something like that in Playa del Carmen for Authentic Mexican food. They had the best Margarita's ever.

USA Transfers or Best Day travel are great travel companies to get you too and from the airport.

Room Tip: Oceanview or rooms in the Main Building of the grand seemed better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank abenitaj
Dear guest,

On behalf of Iberostar Grand Hotel we would like to thank you for the time you spent to write your feedback of your stay at the property. This review has been shared with our staff and managers because our main goal is the entire satisfaction of our guests and keep them returning to our chain, and it is clear that this time we did not succeed.

Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.

We regret to hear that you and your roommate could not enjoy yourselves in our resort we are very sorry that the spaces in the pools did not surpass your expectations, all our areas including the main pool are in constant maintenance to guarantee our guests the facilities that they are expecting to find in a hotel like Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for those exceptional lapses which obviously do not reflect our usual high service standards which you can rightfully expect at our property. We have immediately taken corrective actions with the team and intensified our internal control procedures.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and give us another chance to show you the quality of service that we are capable to offer.

Iberostar Grand Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
4.5 of 5 bubbles 11,584 reviews
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#22 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,877 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!