“Short Getaway”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Short Getaway”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend away from the kids here May 3rd-6th 2013.
The place was beautiful. It was VERY clean!The food was OK. The 1 thing that was odd was this weird musty smell on the ground floor rooms as well as in the theater, but i think i must have got use to it cause it didnt bother me after a couple days. It was not very crowded but there were never any pool chairs available even when we were down by 10 am. i did enjoy the quit pool the best, there was never more than 2-3 other people swimming in there with us. the hot tubs were hit or miss, only 1 out of like 6 were ever really hot, but its hot there so i didnt mind as i enjoy the pool better. this is a great place for anyone who enjoys seafood (which i dont care for) they serve so much at every meal. We only ate at Tony's and it was GREAT! the buffett for lunch was good but i could see how it would get old if you are there for a week or 2 as they serve the same thing over and over. The dinner buffett was good one day and the next i didnt like ANYTHING that was served (they do some sort of theme for dinner buffetts) but at least you can order room service. the breakfast was good and if you sit outside in the morning you will get up close with the little Coati's (i think thats how its spelled) as they are like little bandits! be carefull if your out at night as the misquitos got me good! the butler service is kind of a joke as we only seen ey we arrived and we had a problem with our hot water and the girls at the service desk helped us out with all of our needs while we were there. the resort and complex is big so bring walking shoes. we took a golf cart ride to the little shopping center there and on the way back the battery died so we had to walk.. which was fine but the other couple on the cart were older and i thought they should have called to have them picked up by someone as it is at the bottom of the hill and they seemed tired already.
All and all i had a great time and wish we had more time to spen there and would go back again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heather S
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review which you have shared with other travelers. We appreciate that you have allowed us the honor of serving you.

Your evaluation is of special importance to us, as we are committed to listen to our guests and be constantly trying to improve our services; we already passed you comments on the food to our executive chef and please receive our sincerest apologies for the golf cart ride.

We hope that you will continue to give us the pleasure of hosting you again soon.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,442)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for 2 weeks, April 21st - May 6th 2013. We love Mexico, and have previously stayed at other 5 star all-inclusive, adult-only properties, such as The Royal, Cancun, The Royal, Playa del Carmen and also Temptation resort in Cancun. This hotel is by far the grandest!

After an 10 hour flight from the UK, we were exhausted, however our spirits were soon lifted when we entered this gorgeous hotel and were greeted by staff like a member of their family. Our bags were whisked away, we were handed a refreshing cocktail, and we soon relaxed and settled into a comfortable bliss that lasted for the next 2 weeks. We stayed in building 72, on the 3rd floor, which overlooked the tranquility pool, which we thought was the perfect place to be as it was quiet but still central.

The location of the resort is right on a white powdery beach with turquoise ocean, we had a photo shoot done on the beach and the pictures have come out great! (thank you Erica) We did lots of beach walks, and when we got back to the hotel, we always stopped to admire where we were staying. The building is so impressive, If you weren't a guest already, one look from the beach and you would want to be!

Throughout our stay, every aspect of happiness had been anticipated, and catered for. We paid approximately £1,000 more than we normally pay for a holiday to stay here, but the difference was evident everywhere. Luxury surrounds at every turn, from the beautiful bedroom with the super soft bed and heavenly jacuzzi to the stunning gardens and spa - pampering to our every whim. The jaw-dropping grounds with manicured lawns, tropical flowers, coconut trees and banana plants, the marbeled walkways, the breathtaking chandeliers, the classy restaurants, no expense has been spared to provide a truly stunning setting.. At times we felt like we were movie stars!

We savoured every mouthful of delicious food, served up by the world’s finest staff. The quality of the food is excellent, the best we've had at any resort. There was so much choice, everything was fresh, tasty and beautifully presented. Don't get me started on the desserts - oh my, I tried hard not to be greedy, but I was not always successful. We tried lots of different foods that we wouldn't normally have access to at home - grilled lobster and quails eggs with caviar for lunch anyone? They even serve afternoon tea and cakes at the pool at 4pm everyday. They offer ice cream popsicles to you whilst you are sunbathing, and when drinking n the lobby bar, you will be given little bowls of popcorn. The hotel has its own Somelier, who can advise you on suitable wines if that is what you prefer to drink.

Our favourite restaurants, in order:
1. Toni's Surf and Turf - the fillet mignon steak was sublime
2. The Gourmet - elegant dining - try the frois gras
3. The Italian - lovely setting with its own gondiler!
4. Japansese - show cooking at this one. Not my type of food, but a good opportunity to mix with other guests

We did visit the sister hotels, in particular the Snake Bar at the Maya and we walked to all the other pools, but believe me, they do not compare to the Grand - they were crowded with kids and noise - we quickly hop-footed it back to the luxury of our own little paradise!

I have been to some beautiful places around the world, but the difference that sets the Grand apart is the staff.

The staff we encountered here could open their own Charm School. It was never forced or intrusive or fussy, just natural - always so genuine, so polite, so friendly, so helpful, so utterly charming. They made us feel like nothing was too much trouble, and that it was their pleasure to serve us. In fact, it was OUR pleasure to encounter them. The poolside drink service was so quick, we never got thirsty once. One day I came back to my room to find that our butler had placed all the ingredients for me to make my favourite cocktail, plus a bucket of ice for us. We would come in from dinner to find a rose petal foam bath ready and waiting…..I would look in my wardrobe to find that my laundry had been silently returned, beautifuly pressed for me….. I am wondering how I am going to adjust to life without a butler at home?!

We saw some great professional shows in the theatre, which included a live band. I particularly enjoyed watching tributes to The Beatles, Abba, Cher, Michael Jackson, and Grease. I also liked the magic show, and I am still perplexed as to where those 3 birds disappeared to. The start time of 10pm was perfect for us, as we always had dinner at 8.30pm. There are 33 entertainment staff at this hotel, all working hard to entertain you and make sure you enjoy yourself. There was so much to get involved in. Some of the thngs we enjoyed were the salsa lessons (watching the video of my partner attempting the moves has provided much amusement) a bike tour (useful to aquaint yourself with the resort) aqua aerobics, cooking demonstrations and bingo. You could choose to do as much or as little as you wanted. My partner didn’t try the golf course as it was too hot, but he could have played volleyball, achery, tennis the list was endless. Our favourite spot to relax was the tranquility pool, where there were always beds available.

And after two weeks of absolute heaven, we know that we are spoilt now, and that all future trips will be forever compared to this one. Hotels in Eurpoe pale into insignificance when compared with the elegance and high standards at this resort.

If you can't find happiness during your stay here, I really do question what it would take to please you. The staff will go above and beyond to meet any expectations you may have. Special thanks to Claribel our charming hostess and Victor, our wonderful butler. We miss you already.

The experience we had here was second to none. It was something we will never forget, our memories will stay with us forever. So come here and live the dream for yourself. Life’s too short not to.

Room Tip: building 72 is great, overlooking the tranquility pool - choose 3rd floor.
19 Thank Mollie-Pops
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your fantastic feedback on TripAdvisor following your recent stay at IBEROSTAR Grand Paraiso. We hope that you had a pleasant return journey!

We were blown away after reading your comments about the hotel, the facilities and service. Thank you so much for your positive comments regarding the employees, we are happy to know that the time that you have spent with us was worthwhile!

We have shared this beautiful review with the entire staff at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. These reviews are always a high motivation to keep up the hard work.

It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope that you will consider us as your vacation destination the next time you are thinking of visiting the Riviera Maya.

Sea Girt, New Jersey
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I spent a week at the resort (April 27th - May 4th). We are in our late 50's. We have been to the Grande in Punta Cana. We chose this place because it was all adults property and included golf.
The grounds are beautiful and the pool area is immaculate. I really enjoyed the salt water pool. It beats chlorine. The beach is clean. There is an area cleared of rocks where you can walk out into the ocean. There was some surf while we were there so snorkeling directly off the beach was not possible. There were a lot activities you could chose to participate in or not. There was no pressure to participate. I enjoyed the pool aerobics and the yoga. My husband enjoyed the pool games. The chairs were spaced out around the pool so you never felt crowded. Go to the indoor pool and experience the shower massages in the pool. There are about 6 of them and it feels great on your neck and shoulders.
We had an ocean view room on the 3rd floor in building 74. That is the top floor in all the buildings. We overlooked the quiet pool and could see the ocean in the distance. We could also see the cruise ships go by. We enjoyed a glass of wine and fruit and cheese platter from our balcony before going to dinner. Room service delivered the platter within 10 minutes.
Service was excellent. The entire staff was friendly, polite, and spoke English well. They could not do enough for you. One example that comes to mind is when I was sitting by the pool blowing up a raft from home, the young girl in the towel booth came running out and said I have a pump and can do that for you.
Food was very good. We had no problems with making reservations at the restaurants. Sometimes we had to be flexible with our time. There was a huge selection of items at all the buffets. There was nothing lacking. They did a good job with the presentation of food. It never looked picked over. My husband and I tried just about everything and never felt sick.
We both took advantage of the 2 free rounds of golf. The course is well-maintained and can be challenging. It is located right there at the resort making it very convenient. We brought our own clubs. I think it costs $60 to rent.
The only complaint I have is the room was a little warm for me during the night. I turned the AC down to the lowest setting but it never reached the temperature of 65 F. There was a fan in the room but not over the bed. I would also like to make a request to the guests staying at the resort. If you leave the pool or beach area, please pick up your towel. This allows others to use the chair.
The resort provided us time to relax, be pampered, and escape reality for awhile. Now it's back to work. Ugh!

Room Tip: Building 72 is centrally located. The villas are a distance from the main areas. Try to get an upp...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Beachlover08750
Dear guest,

We would like to express our gratitude for your kind words.

No doubt will our team be motivated by your generous compliments. Your memorable experience is a true testament of the dedication of our staff to ensure that you have all the necessary ingredients for an unforgettable vacation.

We are really sorry for the inconvenient that you had in the room during your stay, as you know for all the staff and the management the most important thing is to exceed your expectations. Temperature in the rooms can be regulated by a few degrees from the room, but if guest wish to lower their temperature more, a call to Front Desk can solve the situation.

We hope that when planning your next vacation get-away, you will have no hesitation in giving us the honor to serve you again.

Lithonia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I travel extensively and I am very selective about where I stay. I prefer upscale hotels and I never book a hotel without checking the reviews and/or researching them on tripadvisor. This time I traveled with 5 other ladies to celebrate our friend's birthday and the "birthday girl" selected this hotel. Upon arrival to the resort, they take you directly to your room where the butler checks you in. The Iberostar Grand Paraiso appears to be an older property with a few updates. In my opinion, it's definitely not a 5 star. It's more like a 3.5 star trying to get to the 5 star status. It's all adult which made it heaven. The grounds are pretty well maintained and there are some beautiful pool and oceanviews. There are several other Iberostar hotels which share the same property but we never had a reason to visit the other properties other than to go to the club. Since it's a large property, you can either walk(bring comfortable shoes) or catch a golf cart to wherever you'd like to go. The entertainment was Excellent. Make sure to go to the Karoke bar. Thanks to "The Star Friends" Entertainment committee...Edwardo, Nelvy, Carlos and all the others who work exceptionally hard to make the resort pleasurable! Chef Olivia was wonderful too. Also, be sure to bring small bills(1's and 5"s) to tip because the employees work hard and very, very, very long shifts and they never ask for anything extra but deserve so much more! Also, remember to get up early and play the towel game(put towels on the chairs at the beach and/or the pool) by 7 a.m. otherwise you will not have a spot to relax by either. I never saw them actually cleaning the salt water pool which is the main pool. I'm thinking that may be the reason why the bottom was slick and the grout lines and tile in the pool seemed to have a little mold or at least some type of slime.

We had Oceanfront rooms in building 70. Beautiful view of the beach from that lobby. The room was large and pretty clean. The bed was comfortable. The floor in the bathroom and the room is marble so be very careful coming out of the shower or into the room with wet feet or shoes. The balcony was a nice size and included a hanging, sling like chair and outdoor sofa that overlooked the Ocean. Nice added touch. Our room however, had a terrible smell of mold the entire 5 days and 4 nights we were there. It worsened whenever we turned on the air so we tried to keep air off and the door to the balcony opened whenever we were in the room. My roomate and I both awakened with stopped up noses for the nights that we had to sleep with the air. The tile behind the shower wasn't that clean. The toliet would make this funny noise like it was refilling every 5 -10 minutes or so. The electrical outlets in the room didn't work for most of the trip but periodically one of them on one side of the bathroom and one by the table worked every now and then so we could periodically charge our phone or use the flat iron. The food at the speciality resturants was much better than the buffet so make your reservations before going to the resort. Moreover, one day, one of my friends bit down on some type of bead like item in her ice cream at the buffet resturant. She showed the manager and all he could say was that maybe someone's bead from their hair fell into the ice cream bucket. No real apology.

Overall, we had fun, met a ton of people and the entertainment made the trip worthwhile. However, I would not chose to stay here again nor would I recommend it to friends. It's truly a 3.5 star attempting to achieve 5 star status. Last year I stayed at Live Aqua in Cancun and loved it. It's a never property, beautiful rooms that smelled like the spa all over.

For Ziplining: Sevatica(park) if you don't want to get wet
Xplorer(park) if you want to zip into a water landing, go through a waterfall, and
down a water slide. Take water shoes,swim shorts/pants/suit and a change of
clothes.
Yatche or something like that in Playa del Carmen for Authentic Mexican food. They had the best Margarita's ever.

USA Transfers or Best Day travel are great travel companies to get you too and from the airport.

Room Tip: Oceanview or rooms in the Main Building of the grand seemed better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank abenitaj
Dear guest,

On behalf of Iberostar Grand Hotel we would like to thank you for the time you spent to write your feedback of your stay at the property. This review has been shared with our staff and managers because our main goal is the entire satisfaction of our guests and keep them returning to our chain, and it is clear that this time we did not succeed.

Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.

We regret to hear that you and your roommate could not enjoy yourselves in our resort we are very sorry that the spaces in the pools did not surpass your expectations, all our areas including the main pool are in constant maintenance to guarantee our guests the facilities that they are expecting to find in a hotel like Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for those exceptional lapses which obviously do not reflect our usual high service standards which you can rightfully expect at our property. We have immediately taken corrective actions with the team and intensified our internal control procedures.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back and give us another chance to show you the quality of service that we are capable to offer.

Iberostar Grand Paraiso
Denver, Colorado, USA
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Thank you for making this stay incredible and tons of fun. the quality of the food was amazing and the pool/pool bar and the beach is very hard to beat. This was one of the best hotel experiences I've had.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

2 Thank Hugo H
Dear guest,

On behalf of all our staff we want to thank you for your visit, we were delighted to read your positive review about your stay at Iberostar Grand Paraiso.

We are happy to know that you fully enjoyed your stay at our hotel and that we fulfilled your expectations; your comments are very pleasant.

Food and drinks are an important pillar of our resort, so to hear that you consider them to be amazing and that you were satisfied with the quality, lead us to think that we are on the right track!

We feel so proud to read that you mentioned that it was your best hotel experience. Thank you very much! We would be absolutely delighted to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind regards,

Qulity Manager
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had my wedding on April 27, 2013 at the Iberostar Lindo then upgraded to the Grand for our honeymoon. The difference was night and day! Not that the Lindo wasn't fabulous but the Grand is immaculate!

The best part is that it is adults only. I had just turned 30 and we were definitely the youngest couple there. Our room overlooked the beach and was cleaned promptly every day then turned down for us at night.

The food was delicious. We had to eat at the hibachi twice since there were no other reservations open. That is my only complaint... make sure you book reservations far in advance!

The pool was gorgeous and the chairs on the beach were super comfortable!

The lunch buffet had lobster, crab, mussels, etc. so my husband was in heaven!

The wait staff was excellent and there was always someone around to see if you needed anything. I would 100% recommend this place for a quiet, romantic trip!

5 Thank Jsteads
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for choosing Iberostar Hotels for such an amazing event as your wedding, and also for your honeymoon!! We really appreciate your kind review.

We regret that you had problems with the dinner reservations, we are working hard to make it easier and more effective for all our customers; your review has been taken up with the concerned head of the departments to ensure corrective steps are implemented at the earliest.

We are very glad that your first experience at Iberostar Grand Paraiso has been perfect and we do hope you give us the opportunity to be your host again the next time you are thinking on visiting the Riviera Maya.

Best Regards,

Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed May 6, 2013

This resort was beautiful and offered exceptional amenities. The staff was helpful and accommodating. The rooms were both spacious and clean. We had an Ocean view room in building 70 and I highly recommend spending the extra money to enjoy the beautiful view and convenience to the main pool. Surf and Turf was our favorite restaurant of the four on property. Although this is an all-inclusive resort, the staff is allowed to accept and appreciate tips (they actual expect tips for everything they do). I can’t imagine anyone having anything negative to say about this resort as it was beautiful, clean, and offered great service and amenities.

Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank paulandsherri
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor and for choosing Iberostar Grand Paraiso for your recent stay.

We are proud of our team of hardworking and friendly staff, who continue helping us reach our goal of being one the best resort in the Riviera Maya.

Your kind words about the food, the conformability of the rooms and the staff means a lot to us and makes our team proud of the service that they provide.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the near future.

Best Regards,

Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Pe...
#24 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!