“Relaxing vacation”

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas, USA
“Relaxing vacation”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

This is a beautiful resort with a wonderful beach and pools. There is an area here for all tastes - quiet or joyful, it's up to the individual. The rooms are very spacious, comfortable and clean. The staff is extraordinary, especially Lorena and Trinidad, our Concierge and Butler. The Beach rooms are, of course, the best with beautful views. The food is very good with something for most tastes. However, we were disappointed that there was no Mexican restaurant. Also, I wasn't a fan of the night shows as they were quite mediocre and too late. This is a great place for couples seeking a quiet place to get away and feel spoiled. We will return.

3 Thank Mspoff
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review.

No doubt will our team be motivated by your generous compliments. We appreciate the time that you have taken to write them, including your constructive criticism; we are committed to listen to our guests and be constantly trying to improve our services and activities.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Grand Paraiso!

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,454)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Reviewed April 19, 2013

That was the best experience out of all my vacation with your company.
The food,service.staff friendliness -5 star mark for this resort.
Was surprised with the almost professional level for the show,we are really injoy it.

2 Thank eugine27
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Iberostar Grand Paraiso and for publishing your great feedback. We are pleased to read your comments!

We look forward to welcoming you back to this Paradise; we will do our best to make your stay an unforgettable one again!

Gilbert, Arizona, United States
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We just returned from a stay at the Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso.We traveled to the grand for my best friend's beach wedding and had a great time. There was a total of 44 of us.

Let me say, the Grand is GRAND! The grounds are absolutely amazing, the staff are very attentive and will do almost anything you request. The rooms are very nice, roomy. That being said, based on all the reviews on here, I expected no issues, however there were a few.

Food: The food was very good. There is a buffet open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I thought the breakfast buffet was the best, followed by the dinner. The lunch buffet was ok I thought. There are 4 other restaurants, of which we tried 3 of them. All were very good. However, you do have a to make a reservation and at times we got stuck with an 8:30 or 9:00pm reservation. This would have been ok so we could be on the beach later, however there are gaps in the service of the buffet so there wasn't always food available besides room service (which was 24 hours). Room service was good, but the menu was very limited. Is was really cool that we could order sandwiches or spaghetti at 2am after drinking all day :)

Drinks: The drinks were amazing! They could make almost anything you wanted. Frozen, mixed, beer, wine, all included. The butler also asked if they could bring us bottles of liquor for the room, so that was really nice. My favorite drinks were their Mint Mojito's and Bahama Mama. Also, at the end of your dinner at Surf and Turf restaurant, ask for the "Mayan Coffee". You will enjoy the show!

Activities: This was what made the Grand great. I played golf twice and would highly recommend the course. It is in great shape, they take care of you with drinks and food and cold towels after the round. The course is very difficult, so make sure you bring enough golf balls! The Grand has a group of people that work there called the "Starfriends" and their only job is get activities going all day long. We played beach volleyball almost every day.

Bars: During the day, the main bar is the swim up bar at the main pool, which was always crowed, but not too crowded to wait longer than a minute for a drink. At night time, the lobby bar seemed to be the place to be, and Rhapsody, the karaoke bar on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. I only wish they would have more bars open throughout the complex during the day, however on the beach they do have waiters that will take drink orders and they are fairly fast.

My only other complaint would be at the very end of our stay. I had an issue with one of the bell boys at the front. They were storing my golf clubs for me and there seemed to be confusion about where they were. I kept asking every 10 minutes about them. The gentlemen was very rude and after yelling at each other 40 minutes later, he finally had someone drive me down to the golf course to pick up my clubs myself. Very frustrating. Other than that guy, all the other staff were very good.

The one thing I didn't anticipate that I was pleasantly surprised with was how friendly everyone that was staying there was. We made so many friends throughout the week, everyone was so outgoing. Some of the reviews says that they are all old people and don't expect to meet anyone - very false. There are always guys trying to get a volleyball game going.

Overall, I would highly recommend The Grand. Way better than any other hotel I have stayed at in Mexico. Pay more to upgrade from other results in Riviera Maya!

Room Tip: If you like the beach, pay extra for the ocean front room. A long walk from all the other suites.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Kevin M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the time that you have invested in writing this review on Trip Advisor.

We are very pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Your comments, particularly about our facilities, food, but especially about our staff and the service they provided are indeed heartwarming. Your words motivate and inspire us to continue providing the best service experience.

We are really deeply sorry for the inconvenience that you had with your clubs; we hope that despite having this issue you were able to take with you the best memories of your stay with us. We have passed your comment on to Management to follow it up.

Once again we sincerely thank you for choosing the Iberostar Grand Paraiso and we trust that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Baton Rouge
Reviewed April 18, 2013

To clarify, I would probably give this a 4.5 on a 5 point scale but system only allows for either 4 or 5. This is our 2nd vacation to an Iberostar Grand Hotel (adult only) in as many years. First was to Grand Bavaro in D.R. and have to say that it still sets the bar and that this hotel just didn't do enough of the little things that made Bavaro the 5 star experience. We are young 40's and not huge party people but not mawmaw and pawpaw either. We do enjoy a good meal and tasty drinks and a good time (just not till 4am anymore). I'll break it down:

Rooms: we emailed in advance to advise them of our request to be in building 72 poolside. They honored that request upon check-in. Room was very nice and clean and fit our needs. We're not "beach front/view people" so poolside was fine with us since we spend so little time in room anyway. The con was the temp in the room remained hot, humid and stuffy. A/C has a limit to how cold it will go (approx. 70 degrees F) and is motion censored so it cuts off when you're not in the room and when your're sleeping. This was huge for me as I like it cold when I sleep and since I was there away from kids and very much looking forward to R & R and sleeping late, I was most disappointed to never have a quality night of sleep and come home extremely tired. Lastly, the rooms have no wifi. In fact, wifi is only available in the main lobby. In this day and times, this is just unacceptable...especially seeing that we had wifi in the rooms at Bavaro. We did finally notice the room had ethernet access and got a cable (after multiple request) to at least stay do some communication and internet from the room. We weren't set up for Skype so still had to go to lobby to facetime with kids back home.

Butler / Concierge: This was the biggest and most noticable difference from our Bavaro experience. We saw the butler only once and that was only by chance that he was passing by our room on the 3rd day when we happened to be walking out. Prior to this, my fridge had yet to be stocked to our liking despite multiple requests. After a frank discussion with him in the hall, the frdige was stocked daily to our liking for the remainder of the trip. We also alerted them via email prior to arrival and again upon check-in that our trip was to celebrate our anniversary, yet nothing was ever done thoughout the trip to recognize this. Also, one night, turn down service didn't arrive until 10;45. At that point, we were so tired that we declined it all together. As for concierge, they were located on the floor above us and were much better about accomodating any requests we had. We eventually learned that if we wanted anything, just bypass the butler and go staright to the concierge.

Food: Again, we learned from Bavaro the difficulty in locking up reservations so we emailed in advance for these and got the exact restaurants and times we wanted with confirmations before we even flew out. Favorite was Italian (ate at twice), followed by Surf and Turf, then Japanese. All were great with good service and good reccomendations by the staff. As for the buffets, breakfast was more than adequate. There are actually 2 buffets for lunch although only one (buffet by the beach) is more heavily promoted than the other. We didn't learn until day 3 that there was even a 2nd lunch buffet (where breakfast is served in building at end of pool opposite the beach). Our outlook on the buffets did a complete 180 once we discovered this as it offered ribeyes cooked upon order, a pasta bar, a create your own pizza bar, lobster that wasn't overcooked and came right out of the shell, etc. This was one of those things that had we realized from day 1, then we would have given the edge to Paraiso over Bavaro.

Service: Overall, very good. The only difference was there really was very little personality with the servers (Pool bartenders and beach servers). Just the opoosite at Bavaro whereby at the end of the week, they all knew our name, favorite drinks and were joking constantly with us, which is 1/2 the fun of the experience.

Golf / Spa: Played golf twice. Loved the course. Used rental clubs for the 1st time ever and will probably bring my own in the future. Wife did the spa at the beach retreat. Overall, good but not the best. However, the beach setting made the overall experience a good one.

In summary, the things that I mentioned here that need improvement are minor in the big picture. But, they're also things that don't cost a dime (ie. honor our requsts 1st time as opposed to day 3) and without a doubt, separate 5 star resorts from 4 and 4.5 star resorts. We would definitly come back here, but would just plan further in advance to overcome the shortcomings that we discovered this go-round.

Room Tip: We loved building 72 pool side. 7222 to be exact (groundfloor). It's centrally located to ever...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jeff M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Iberostar Grand Paraiso on TripAdvisor.

We are glad to read that you enjoyed your recent stay and you would honor us with a second visit. Nevertheless, we are committed to offer our guests the best possible service and we are disappointed to read about your experience at the room and with the butler service; this of course is not the kind of memory we want our guests to keep. We have already taken corrective actions with the team and intensified our internal control procedures.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, we aim to offer the best service to our guests, so it is very important for us to identify any issues o weak areas to work on them.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Long Island, New York
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I want to write this review because I utilize Trip Advisor for evaluating places and I think feedback is important. Been to Sandals, Secrets, and now Iberostar for all inclusive’s. The place is pristine.....I'm a type A person and it is very well maintained and most importantly clean. The location is great....beach is beautiful and the pools are all nice. Never felt crowded even though occupancy was over 85%. The employees are exceptionally outgoing and always say hello and make you feel like a real guest. Any issues with the room were resolved immediately. They bend backwards for you which I feel is important especially in the hospitality industry. Room was more than very nice and comfortable. Free wired internet in the room if you bring a laptop which was nice. As far as Wi-Fi access it is limited but I have Verizon and bought 1000 international talk minutes for $15 and 100 Megs of data for $25 and was using my Smartphone like a 20 year old....access was good in most places. Now as far as the food which is important in an all inclusive....I'm from New York and I know good quality food....If you’re expecting New York City restaurant food you will be disappointed but the food was the best of all the all-inclusive that I have been to. Lobster and Stone Crabs at lunch? How bad can it be....my least favorite was the gourmet. However it was my wife's favorite so go figure....food is very personal so what I like might not be what you like....on that note...you won't starve that's for sure. Show's were ok but we stay at beach and eat late then sleep so night life is not on the top of the list however if you are looking for that music pounding drinking party night life that goes with a vacation don't go here. More mature and quiet. Overall excellent place and would definitely come back....have fun!

Room Tip: Facing beach or facing quiet pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank drewcorey
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback on this website. We are pleased to know that we exceeded your expectations on your visit with our resort. We pride ourselves on being conveniently located, offering a wide array of food and beverage, and the very best in personalized service.

Your special mention of the staff that enhanced the quality of your trip was also greatly appreciated. We recognize that our staff plays a valuable role in the vacation experience of our guests, but reviews like yours serve to motivate us even more.

We hope that when planning your next vacation get-away, you will have no hesitation in giving us the honor to serve you again.

Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed April 15, 2013

The rooms were great and the help (bartender, butler) were also very helpful! My only complaint is the communication needs improvement. They had our rooms messed up, names wrong. I made reservations early at the gourmet restaurant prior and then confirmed with the concierage and when we got there there were no reservations. The guy was very rude and not helpful. He blamed us and basically said "too bad" even though there were tables adn they could have accomodated us. I even was going to show him the email confirming my reservations and he didn't care. Basically I had the consequence of their mistake? what happen to making sure the customer is happy, especially at a five start resort. I was upset and about ready to cry because I never had such a rude experience and no empathy! The concierage was wonderful and realized that we had special plans and made last minute reservations for us at Tonis. This also happened with our spa services. We were suppose to get a discount but when we went to check out they didn't ahve it. Again we had to show them our email, but at least the desk person looked into it and we got the discount. Still I fell annoyed that this happened and it took 30 minutes to figure it out...it's a 5 star resort and the customer service with reservations adn paying stinks! The butler and help were great. The rooms were beautful and teh resort was very clean!!!

6 Thank riveramaya2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on Trip Advisor, it is very important to us and helps us to improve our services and prevent certain issues from occurring in future.

We are most terribly sorry for the inconveniences regarding the communication issues you described, and we assure you that we are working hard to avoid such incidents in the future.

We apologize for the service you received from our staff, they should treat everyone with courtesy, we already passed these comments on to our managers and you can rest assured that corrective actions will be taken.

We do hope that your other treasured moments at the property will remain dear to you. We look forward to welcoming you again.

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the IGP for a week last year and couldn't wait to return this year for a 10 day holiday. Once again the IGP impressed us in every way and we are already planning to return next year. I will try to add a few new things to this review that we discovered this year.

FOOD: Once again the food was outstanding. Breakfast and lunch buffets are excellent. A BIG thank you to Olivia who always greeted me with a smile and an hola even when she wasn't feeling well. Good luck with your new baby, Olivia!
My only suggestion with the food is to make sure that your meat and seafood is fully cooked at all times. My husband loves his meat cooked rare however after a brief bout with a bad stomach he ordered well done for the remainder of the trip. Don't feel bad if you send something back if it isn't cooked to your liking. My husband had ordered the scallop appetizer at the Surf and Turf restaurant and when he asked to have it cooked more they were extremely apologetic with the head waiter even coming out to apologize. It really wasn't a big deal to us but they were truly sorry.

Last year we only did the a la carte restaurants but this year we went to several of the evening buffets and they were fabulous. The presentation at the International buffet was amazing. We would definitely try the buffets again next year.
Contrary to what others have said, we have never had an issue with getting reservations for the a la carte restaurants. We did this as soon as we arrived and got all of the restaurants and times we wanted.

ROOM: Gorgeous as usual. We had a room overlooking the tranquility pool again this year and just loved it. The butlers were fabulous and ANY request or concern we had was seen to right away. Our mini bar was fully stocked everyday. We requested a bottle of rum and vodka with cranberry juice and fresh lime and every day it was there.

RESORT: You have to experience it to fully understand the luxury and beauty of this resort. It really is like no other. This year we took a walk over to the Maya next door just to see what some of the rest of the complex was like. All I can say is, while I'm sure many families have great vacations there and by family resort standards it looked very nice BUT for us, adults only is the ONLY way to travel. We were VERY happy to walk back up the beach and once again have the serenity and relaxing atmosphere of the Grand.
SPA POOL was fantastic! We hadn't ventured into the spa area last year because the weather was so nice however this year, even with 10 full days of sun, we wanted to try the indoor pool. Two mornings on our way to the main pool we dropped into the spa. We felt like it was our own private pool as we were the only ones there. After a nice relaxing swim we then enjoyed a dip in the hot tub with the sun shining in though the open roof. YES, the spa pool has a retractable roof which they open on nice days. So lovely.

STAFF: I cannot end this review without once again pointing out the most outstanding feature of this resort, it's staff. EVERYONE is so pleasant, courteous, polite and friendly. I will not try to list names because I would not want to exclude anyone we encountered during our stay. The level of professionalism is outstanding!

If you are searching for an adults only vacation for some needed rest and relaxation than just book it. It is more expensive than some others but it is worth every penny.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the tranquility pool are very quiet and the balconies are brighter than some other...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank happytraveller7359
Dear Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for the time that you have invested in sharing your experience during your stay in our hotel , and as a repetitive guest we double thank you for the loyalty and for choosing us. We hope that you had a pleasant return back home.

We appreciate all of our guests’ comments and suggestions regarding our services and facilities, because that helps us impulse and increase our ambition to achieve top quality service levels. It is our constant goal to keep impressing you on every visit and make it even better than last time.

We sincerely appreciate your kind remark about the food, your suggestions have been duly noted and we assure you that we will keep them in mind. Nevertheless we hope that despite this inconvenience you enjoyed your stay with us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Carmen La Perla
Paradisus by Melia Playa del Car...
#22 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!