“Paradise in Mexico” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Richmond, Texas
“Paradise in Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I just traveled to Iberostar Grand November 9-13th. We have a young daughter and this was our first get a way with each other since she was born. I am the type to do a lot of research before choosing a resort and I can promise you that you can stop looking and book this hotel! We have traveled to 5 all inclusive resorts and this one far surpassed many we had been to. Instead of reiterating everything that all the other reviews tell you about how great this place is, I will let you know the things I wanted to know while looking at the resort.

Safety-Not an issue. Mexico seems to have a bad reputation these days. Because it was a short trip, we stayed on the resort the whole time and we never felt unsafe. We had private transfers to and from the airport with Cancun Transfers. I never felt unsafe with them either.

Grand or not to grand....I was debating on spending less money and go to Lindo or Maya but I was sooooo happy I didn't! The grand has an older crowd with a handful of newlyweds and young adult couples. We are in our upper 20s and had a great time with the people there. The star friends keep you entertained and there are shows and bars open at night. If you are looking for a wild and crazy time go to cancun. We walked over to the beach at Lindo and Maya and it was pure chaos. Yellow chairs everywhere as well as kids! You walk back to the grand and all you hear is the ocean.

Beach-the grand beach is rocky. Not a big deal to us b/c I am more of a pool person. The beach in front of the ocean front building 72 is less rocky than 71. The resort was full and we were able to find a chair easily until about 10:30. All the good chairs are taken by then but they have the not so nice chairs that are plentiful. We were in room 7150...great view!

Food-Due to our short trip we only ate at Haiku and Toni's. Loved both of them. At Toni's I would rec the filet. At Haiku, there were those big hibachi tables where everyone sits around them and then there were a few tables separate which is where we were seated. We were at the small tables. I didn't mind b/c my husband and I were able to have some alone time but don't know how they determined who goes where. Would highly rec e-mailing them one week prior before your trip and request your reservations! We did that and it was so nice to get there and not run to the concierge to try to grab reservations! Just email then through the grand website. I wasn't crazy impressed with the italian buffet but loved the mexican!

Drinks-they have top shelf liquor but ask for it with every drink or they put in the cheap stuff! Favorite tequila=tres generaciones (just ask my husband!)

Rooms-We got upgraded to ocean front (THANK YOU!). The rooms are great. Ocean view doesn't seem much like a ocean view! They are behind the pool area. The ocean view and junior suites are closer to the restaurants and lobby but it is not a far walk to those from the ocean front either. If you are the type to spend more time in your room I would rec ocean front, if not, ocean view/junior is just the same! Ocean front comes with a butler but we didn't really need him but he was sure to make sure we were taken care of.

Hope this helps! Again, loved this resort and can't wait to go back!

7 Thank Linz7064
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all thank you for staying with us and taking the time afterwards to write a comment about our 5 all inclusive resort and your stay. It is great to see that we managed to go beyond your expectations as this is always our goal.
It is always very inspiring for our team to read that guests appreciate our service, food, pools, ocean front rooms and staff. Your comment is an asset to promote our hotel and the “Riviera Maya” to other guests who would like to visit us.

Thanks again and we surely hope to welcome you soon again with your daughter.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,293)
  • Polish first
Montvale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Food was excellent along with the rooms and staff. I never was once told no. Everyone bent over backwards to make our time there excellent. I cant say anything negative about this hotel. There were activities all day long. By the time your empty drink glass touched the bar there was another drink waiting for you. I was very impressed with the buffet. You'd think a buffet would be just okay. The buffet was all top notch food. Cooked perfectly and all you could possibly eat. Great time. My wife and I have already started planning on going again for our future anniversarys.

7 Thank RJ Roxie F
IberostarMexico, Quality manager at Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for the time you have taken in sharing your comments in TripAdvisor.

We are always pleased when a guest recognizes our services and most of all the effort of our employees. It is always our goal to deliver and maintain the highest level of our guest satisfaction and we are very delighted to know that we have exceeded your expectations.

Thank you once again and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in your next anniversary.

Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

My lovely wife and I had our wedding at the Iberostar Grand last week. We had 40 of our closest friends and families join us. The hotel was amazing, just the most grand building I have ever visited. The wedding went on without a hitch, the wedding coordinator, Jessica, was amazing, and did a wonderful job.
The food is the best in the region, so fresh with so much variety.
The rooms were spectacular, always cleaned, three times a day, and traffic views.
The resort is out of this world. Truly world class, with wonderful architecture. Everything was so clean and well maintained.
The resort staff were very kind and always helpful.
A great thing about this resort is that all our wedding guests were able to stay within the whole Iberostar complex, meaning they have different class resorts for different prices for all people. Very accommodating for all our guests. As guests at the Grand, we were able to visit and eat at all of the 5 resorts. This was a great fix for the various range of people to come to our wedding without spending much.
This is the best resort we have ever stayed at, and we are so grateful that we had our wedding there with all our friends and family.

• Stayed November 2012
6 Thank Ahmed T
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your generous review. We were happy to learn that you had an excellent wedding and that you were pleased with our service.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to acknowledge the efforts of our dedicated team and no doubt they will be motivated by your kind words, It was our pleasure to have served you and we hope that you will consider us as your anniversary destination the next time you are thinking of visiting the Riviera Maya.

Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were hoping this resort would be as nice as our previous visits to Excellence Riviera, El Dorado Royale and Secrets Maroma. We were not disappointed, it was just as nice if not a bit nicer as far as the rooms go. They had fun activities during the day, both the land and water sports, which are typical of 5 star all-inclusives. We rode bikes, did aqua aerobics, played golf every day, used the fitness room, played ping pong and darts. We had to rest up when we returned home! But we're like this while on vacation - we want to take advantage of every offering they have. We don't want to miss something. I guess we're just not too good at relaxing. But, for those of you who like to relax on vacation, there are a myriad of different ways to do that at this resort. Just laying on a lounger next to the beach is mesmerizing. The drink staff is always at your beckon call. They're non-obtrusive but there - they seem to be able to sense when you're looking for something cool to drink.

We loved the food and drinks at all the restaurants. Our very favorite was the Japanese. We ate there twice - Hibachi style.

Our bed was extremely comfortable - we were on the second story of the beachfront section. It was hard to decide which way to sleep - if you want to hear the sound of the waves, you won't have any A/C. If you like it really cold, then you'll miss out on the sound effects. The doors have to be completely shut for the A/C to run.

We would return to this resort in a heartbeat! We like to try different resorts each visit, and we find they keep getting better as we keep searching. In this price range though, I think we've found the top resort. To get any better, you'd probably have to spend at least $1000-2000 more.

Our only complaint was our last night at the resort. We ate at the Gourmet restaurant - had a reservation for 8:30 p.m. There were only a few tables occupied and there were plenty of staff about so there was no reason why we shouldn't have had excellent service for the entire meal. It started out great (although slow for not being at all busy) but then a dish here or there was skipped (Lobster Thermador) which we had loved a prior night. When we inquired it still wasn't brought out. At the end of the meal, we ordered 2 desserts for our table of six, along with coffee. Only one dessert came out and it went to the wrong person (no huge issue - we're adults and can hand it to the right person). We waited patiently a bit longer for the coffee but it didn't come out nor did anymore waiters. I guess they were done for the night and wanted to go home. We left without leaving any tip, which we tended to do for our evening meals.

Even with our last night's memory being on a bit of a sour night, that doesn't in any way spoil our opinion of this resort. That could happen at any restaurant in any country, and believe me, it's happened in the USA often! We had just come to expect fabulous service from everyone so we were somewhat mystified.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank SeattleSimba
Dear Guest,

We highly appreciate that you took your precious time to write a detailed review and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It is unfortunate that your last night at our property was not pleasant. Kindly allow us to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. We have already

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and create new memories.

Best regards,

Acworth, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The service was excellent and the food was beyond better than to expected for an all-inclusive. Top shelf drinks are included as well. There is enough there to do an see so you can be as active or relaxed as you wish. The beach was a little rocky so be careful. Still beautiful and there are 3 incredible pools to choose from. The outdoor pools were a bit chilly but we were there in November so I expected that. We had the jacuzzi oceanfront room which was beautiful and so clean. I would say not to bother with the room service because the food was not as delicious as the buffets and restaurants. We used it only for early morning coffee and pastries. I could go on forever but I will save some for my next trip there!

Room Tip: If choosing an oceanfront room ask for building 71 as it is furthest from the noisier family resort.
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
4 Thank artchick33
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying in Grand Paraiso during your holiday and we appreciate to read part of your memories in TripAdvisor.

It gives us a great joy to hear your excellent review in this hotel. It is nice to know that you liked our beautiful beach, that you found the corner room perfectly comfortable, had the opportunity to use the Jacuzzi in the terrace and that you adored the fantastic buffet and food offered in every restaurant.

We sincerely hope that we will have the honor of welcoming you back.

Kindest regards,

Glen Gardner, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I just returned Nov.13th from IGHP. My 5th trip!!! Ricardo at the door Daniel Marcelino Roberto Humberto at the bar . Manuel Hugo David at the restaurants made our stay great.The butlers were there always asking to help.Great place, good times, lobster shrimp and beef filet at lunch every day. Bob P. N.J.

5 Thank Bobby5283
Tomball, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I just returned last night from our fourth visit to the Grand. This trip started out with some (needless) anxiety on my part, due to the knowledge of two large groups - one of which checked in on our arrival day, and sold out the resort for three of our five nights. Due to the groups, I had been in touch with the Grand ahead of time, and I was promised that I wouldn't notice any negative affects - and they were right. We did not.

The highlight for us this year - once again, were the wonderfully fantastic, well-trained staff, at not only the Grand - but every part of the Playa Paraiso complex we visited. The person who is in charge of training the Iberostar staff deserves cudos. They are absolutely incredible. It was such a shock to arrive back in Houston and not have everyone smiling at us, with a friendly greeting.

The number one negative this year, and the reason I'm not giving my review five stars, was the food. We've visited almost every year since the resort opened (and when I haven't been there, I've sent others), and by far, the food was the worst this time than it has ever been. I was so concerned about not getting reservations due to the groups, and I ended up ordering room service, eating at a different resort (Jambalaya at the Lindo, which was decent) and going to a buffet one night (Italian buffet - our best meal at the resort this trip), just to avoid it. Neither of us are hard to please, but it was quite a let down to dress up, be treated like queens and kings, and take that first bite and feel deflated.

We've always had the pleasure of being in an oceanfront room, and this year was no exception. We were checked in to our room, by our butler-in-training, Eduardo. We were in corner suite 7041, directly next to Las Brisas and over the suite we had last year. The view was the best yet. Absolutely breathtaking. The day we checked in, the sea was very calm and the colors were striking. We set up our own travel router, and had miserable reception with it. I do wish they'd add WiFi to the rooms. With so many people using tablets and iPhones now, they need to step it up in this area. Other than that, no complaints about the room.

Our first dinner was at Toni's. We got all dressed up, and were seated around people wearing t-shirts, jeans and flip flops. I was very surprised at how the dress code seemed to have been brushed to the wayside. Oh well... I'm here to eat, not be in a fashion show, so we ordered our steaks. Both were dry and tasteless. At one point the waiter came by and my husband asked him for some melted butter. Butter on steaks? Yes... they were that bad.

Was every meal bad? No. Breakfast and lunches were all decent, so we didn't starve, but the dinner at Toni's was the start of a trend that continued throughout our stay. To summarize, dinner the next night at Haiku wasn't much better, and they completely messed up my husband's order, which is pretty impressive, since they were cooking it directly in front of him. The other large group from Mexico City was in the restaurant that night, and I think the chefs were overwhelmed. Jambalaya at the Lindo was a pile of shrimp, next to a pile of rice. Neither tasted bad, but the shrimps had their tails still on them. Before we ate, we had to detail about 30 small shrimp. It was just silly to sit there and feel like only have the battle of cooking had been done for you.

The beach area remained about 1/2 occupied for the most part, during our entire stay. No need to rush out to get a palapa. Our only complaint? The cushions on the nicer, wicker chairs. You have two choices - remain rigid and your cushion will remain in place, or relax, and slide your way down to a catatonic position, in 1/4" increments. The cushions do stay put on the cheaper-looking white plastic chaises. Beach service was fantastic as usual. I noticed far more people selling (fake) Cuban cigars, hats, sunglasses and jewelry this time. They came in waves, no pun intended.

Speaking of waves... our first full day was glorious. We kayaked and enjoyed calm, beautiful seas. By that evening, the winds really picked up, to the point where we wondered just how bad does it have to get before they put the black flag out. The life guards were on high alert for the next three days, and many times we heard them forcing people out of the waves, with their whistles. It was the windiest, waviest, I've ever seen it. As luck would have it, it calmed down our last day. Unfortunately, this was the day we had to leave. I never said my luck was good.

My husband golfed twice, and both times the course kicked his rear. He doesn't get to play as often as he'd like, but he used to play on a team. I was the caddy, and he played with two men who work for El Dorado resorts. Both men know the area very well, and with the exception of one other course in the area, they both think the Playa Paraiso course is the nicest. They said that IB* has the best greens man around. The course is gorgeous.

We took a walk down the beach towards Maroma as usual, and this time turned around out of discomfort, due to a man standing in jeans, a jeans jacket, with a walkie talkie attached to the back of his pants, and binoculars around his neck. He was standing in an area near the mangroves, between the Grand and the Capella residences, near no buildings. This man was not a guard, and looked to be on the lookout for something. He made us feel very uncomfortable, and just watched us. I'm not sure what he was up to, and I didn't want to stick around for it. We walked past him, into the cove, and saw other people walking towards the Grand. We slowed down, and got behind them and walked back. Safety in numbers. This is the first time I've ever worried about my safety in Mexico; this guy made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. One other very, very important thing to note - my husband picked up a used syringe, with its cap on, from the shoreline. He threw it into the mangroves. So please watch where you're stepping. The beach in this area isn't groomed. Just remember, none of this has anything to do with the Grand - just something to mention.

Our days were filled with laying around, getting to know the wonderful Star Friends (Jesus is a sweetheart), playing the always fun Dutch Shuffleboard game (SO glad it's back!), and doing a whole bunch of nothing. We took walks through the other resorts a few times. The Beach and Del Mar are beautiful in their lushness. The Lindo is beautiful with its waterways. The Maya is gorgeous with its manicured grounds and interesting buildings. They're all worth exploring.

The big question, is will we be back? At this point, it's iffy. As we get older, I'm finding that what we're looking for is changing. I never considered myself someone who lived to eat, but the food was truly a let down this time. I felt unsatisfied almost every evening. We've seen all of the shows multiple times, and we only went to one. We found this it was perfectly okay for us to head back to the room after dinner. I am a snob when it comes to alcohol, but this time the bottle of Grey Goose and Don Julio that was brought to our room, remained unused. I was happy with the cheap wine and frozen drinks on the beach - that I'm sure were made with well liquor. And last, but not least, I am tired of reservations.

I can't imagine never going back to the Grand. The employees are like an addiction. They're that good. You want to have that great service again and again! However, next for us will probably be somewhere, where the emphasis is on food, staff and a beautiful, calm beach - without sacrificing a lovely resort setting. I sell travel for a living, and even I'm having a difficult time finding this in an adults-only all-inclusive. It may just be time for us to branch out and start looking into the alternatives out there.

Room Tip: If oceanfront is what you want, nobody offers those accommodations in this price range, better than...
14 Thank OctoberLuver
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for the time you invested to give us your comments about your recent stay with us at the Hotel Iberostar Grand Paraiso, our main goal is to satisfy and exceed your expectations, we are really sorry about your experiences at our restaurants Our executive Chef is concerned about this situation he is working to offer exceptional dinner experiences to our guests.

For the management and all the staff it would be a pleasure if you honor us again with your visit, you can be sure that we are going to make our best to satisfy and exceed your expectations.

Once again thank you for your review which help us to find the right path to accomplish our main goal and offer unforgettable vacations to our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
Iberostar Paraiso Maya
#5 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 stars 4,336 reviews

Been to Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso? Share your experiences!