My husband & I stayed a week at the El Dorado mid-March 2006. This was our 3rd trip to the Riviera Maya, and although we did enjoy the EDR, it was not our favorite resort. The things we really loved about this resort: the best room we've ever had (the jacuzzi suites with hammocks on the decks were wonderful), the EDR employees (especially Heidi by the salt water pool & our concierge Amy), the uniqueness of the swim-up ocean front rooms (wish we had that!), the pina coladas were sooooooo refreshing, the romantic atmosphere, and the many pools. The biggest thing we didn't like was the fact that you had to make reservations to eat in the restaurants every night, and having to dress up for dinner. However, we found the ladies had a tendency to follow the dress code and most of the men did not. And if you didn't want to eat in a restaurant, there was a limited menu you could order food from via Room Service at any time. We just didn't like having to schedule our dinners in advance, and found that we actually couldn't get into the restaurant of our choice even with three days notice. The biggest disappointment in that came from the fact that not once during our seven nights there did we encounter a full restaurant for dinner. They typically had no more than two waiters in each restaurant, and the waiters were running their butts off to serve all the tables - and the restaurants were only booked half full every night.
As I said, we did enjoy our trip to the EDR. We felt the all-inclusive fee was way too high for what you get, which is why we didn't feel the value was there. It's highly unlikely we would go back unless we get a great deal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale
- El Dorado Royale, By Karisma Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico