We travelled in Feb 2006 to the Eldorado Royale - A Spa Resort as a group of 10 for a wedding party.
This review is titled "A British Point of View" for a reason. This hotel is very American, and retains very little of anything Mexican. Although it is a very nice hotel, it is, in my opinion nothing more than a sanitised 'Disneyland' version of Mexico for American tourists who want to go to Mexico, but do not actually want to leave America.
The food is excellent, the hotel is not to full (even if full), the bars etc are brilliant, the standard of buildings and maintenance is very high, however it is not all perfection. The 11 restaurants are a nightmare to book into. My recommendations if you are going is to book all of your restaurants for your entire stay upon arrival, first thing, before going to your room, pronto, now.
It is a total pain having to eat at 9pm every night if you do not. We more than once sat down at 9pm and did not get a starter until 10pm... This is not what you want on holiday, be warned.
Also be warned, everything has a US twist to it. There was only one restaurant serving Mexican food, all the other 10 served comfort food for Americans.
This is a hotel that tends to trap its tourists inside the gates, as divers we left the hotel nearly every day, most do not.
Problems that do occur, do not get solved. We had a few issues as a group, and the staff are totally incompetent at sorting them out. The general attitude seems to be that this is a perfect hotel, so do not moan. It is not. The biggest problem is the service, from the front desk staff to the waiters. It mainly seems to be an issue of the hotel being short staffed. The people themselves are nice enough, but you could wait 45 minutes for a drink of water over dinner. This makes you mad. You do not go on holiday to be mad. Note - there is NO buffet option, at all. So you only choice is to put up with poor service, what else are you going to do, go somewhere else - they are all as bad. Not pay the bill - no choice, it is all inclusive.
There is quite extensive building work going on (Feb 2006) that we were not told about. It is not intrusive at all but is very noticeable, and does have an effect.
Also, another warning, do not pay to upgrade to ocean front or ocean view, it is not worth it. Either have a garden room, or Casita. I would choose garden. The differences are negligible between rooms, and some of the garden views have better ocean views than the others !!!
-Pools etc. were very nice.
-Never a problem getting served at bars.
-Food quality was excellent, I would have to say superb even.
-The people are friendly, if overworked.
-Selection of drinks was very good.
-Rooms were of a very high standard.
-All inclusive really was all inclusive, including 24hr room service and minibar.
-All of the above mentioned
-Onsite dive centre is not too great, factor 45 mins to go to a better one (see 'Pro-Dive Mexico').
-Expensive (e.g. $50 for parasailing, at hotel down the road it was $25..)
-Not worth the money you are paying. Based on other hotels I have stayed in around the world, I would rate this hotel as £1500 Per couple, for Two Weeks. When you pay over £2k per couple for two weeks as I did (or even over £3k as one couple we met claimed!!!) you do not expect these problems.
I had a good holiday in general. If you are going, you will enjoy it, but you will find yourself moaning, and I hate to think of myself as moaning. I tend to overlook all problems and think "never mind, I am on holiday", but the little problems here got to you in the end. If you are just thinking of going (and you are not American) - do not. And remember, if you are going, email them now with your dinner reservations ;-)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale
- El Dorado Royale, By Karisma Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico