“A British Point of View”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 14, 2006

We travelled in Feb 2006 to the Eldorado Royale - A Spa Resort as a group of 10 for a wedding party.

This review is titled "A British Point of View" for a reason. This hotel is very American, and retains very little of anything Mexican. Although it is a very nice hotel, it is, in my opinion nothing more than a sanitised 'Disneyland' version of Mexico for American tourists who want to go to Mexico, but do not actually want to leave America.

The food is excellent, the hotel is not to full (even if full), the bars etc are brilliant, the standard of buildings and maintenance is very high, however it is not all perfection. The 11 restaurants are a nightmare to book into. My recommendations if you are going is to book all of your restaurants for your entire stay upon arrival, first thing, before going to your room, pronto, now.

It is a total pain having to eat at 9pm every night if you do not. We more than once sat down at 9pm and did not get a starter until 10pm... This is not what you want on holiday, be warned.

Also be warned, everything has a US twist to it. There was only one restaurant serving Mexican food, all the other 10 served comfort food for Americans.

This is a hotel that tends to trap its tourists inside the gates, as divers we left the hotel nearly every day, most do not.

Problems that do occur, do not get solved. We had a few issues as a group, and the staff are totally incompetent at sorting them out. The general attitude seems to be that this is a perfect hotel, so do not moan. It is not. The biggest problem is the service, from the front desk staff to the waiters. It mainly seems to be an issue of the hotel being short staffed. The people themselves are nice enough, but you could wait 45 minutes for a drink of water over dinner. This makes you mad. You do not go on holiday to be mad. Note - there is NO buffet option, at all. So you only choice is to put up with poor service, what else are you going to do, go somewhere else - they are all as bad. Not pay the bill - no choice, it is all inclusive.

There is quite extensive building work going on (Feb 2006) that we were not told about. It is not intrusive at all but is very noticeable, and does have an effect.

Also, another warning, do not pay to upgrade to ocean front or ocean view, it is not worth it. Either have a garden room, or Casita. I would choose garden. The differences are negligible between rooms, and some of the garden views have better ocean views than the others !!!

Plus points:
-Pools etc. were very nice.
-Never a problem getting served at bars.
-Food quality was excellent, I would have to say superb even.
-The people are friendly, if overworked.
-Selection of drinks was very good.
-Rooms were of a very high standard.
-All inclusive really was all inclusive, including 24hr room service and minibar.

Negatives:
-All of the above mentioned
-Onsite dive centre is not too great, factor 45 mins to go to a better one (see 'Pro-Dive Mexico').
-Expensive (e.g. $50 for parasailing, at hotel down the road it was $25..)
-Not worth the money you are paying. Based on other hotels I have stayed in around the world, I would rate this hotel as £1500 Per couple, for Two Weeks. When you pay over £2k per couple for two weeks as I did (or even over £3k as one couple we met claimed!!!) you do not expect these problems.

Summary:
I had a good holiday in general. If you are going, you will enjoy it, but you will find yourself moaning, and I hate to think of myself as moaning. I tend to overlook all problems and think "never mind, I am on holiday", but the little problems here got to you in the end. If you are just thinking of going (and you are not American) - do not. And remember, if you are going, email them now with your dinner reservations ;-)

• Stayed: February 2006
27  Thank Dtaylo2

Reviewed March 12, 2006

My husband, mother and father just returned from El Dorado Royale this past Friday March 10th. We stayed there a week and WOW, what a great place! This is our second time back to the Mayan Riviera and my parents first. We’ve been to 5 stars in Cuba, Domincian and other parts of the Caribbean as well, so here is my take on the El Dorado Royale.

First of all I need to mention that we took the advice that other people gave and made all our reservations for the week right when we arrived. It’s a good thing we did as the reservations book up fast. We got into every restaurant and they were wonderful. You’ll notice that there are quite a few empty tables in the restaurants and we found out that it’s because the people who stay in the casitas don’t need to make reservations and they just need to go to restaurant and they will accommodate. I guess they leave open tables for the casita guests.

The food at all the restaurants was great, Italian and the Oriental being the best ones. BEWARE I GAINED 5 POUNDS WHILE I WAS TEHRE. Pamper, pamper, pamper is what the El Dorado is all about. The waiters are very attentive and YES you do learn the meaning of a Mexican Minute, but if you are in a rush all you need to do is order with your drinks and you can be in and out quickly. The whole basis of this resort is to take your time and eat, there are no buffets for lunch or dinner, so do not pick this resort if you enjoy the fast pace of a buffet. To me and my family, this was a relaxing change from the usual all-inclusive buffet. We also found it funny how the waiters would show you the bottle of house wine when you ordered and pour a little in your glass so you can taste it, even though the bottle was half empty! Very cute! HAHA!

As far as food poisoning, my husband did get a touch of sickness on our last day and had to deal with the toilet on the plane, but really! We can’t blame the hotel; it’s just the different bacteria that we are not used to in their food.

The rooms are nicely decorated, and it’s true I’ve been to nicer rooms, but I would rate the cleanliness and effort as great. We left $2 for the maid every day and we learned that they rely on this tip money and share it between the staff. We tipped at breakfast, lunch and dinner if they did a good job, and to be honest they all did. I saw no one else tipping the staff. Just a dollar makes a difference to them. We went down with $100 worth of US dollars and spent $60 of it on tips. Such a small amount for the effort they put forth to impress.

The pool was nice, but we didn’t spend a lot of time by it since it was beautiful to hear the waves of the beach. The pools are quite cool and that can deter you from going in them, but are refreshing once you take the plunge. The ocean is quite warm and the sandbags are nice to sun on top of. I guess the purpose of the sandbags is to keep the rocks, coral and seaweed from coming up on the beach and keeping the waves down so the sand does not wash away. We also learned that the beach is much better and apparently larger because of the hurricane. One of the workers told us that over 2000 people helped dig out the El Dorado Royale from up to four feet of sand. Everything was covered in sand and they had the pictures to prove it. What a great job they are doing to try and restore everything. To be honest you wouldn’t even have known that there was a hurricane just a few months back.

Anyways, this resort is for people who want that pampering spa feeling and to be catered to. If you are looking for excellent food, great drinks (try the mango margarita), a friendly staff and relaxing time then this is the place for you. If you are looking at going to a resort just for the sun and sand and want to get a good price…go somewhere else. This is the most romantic place!

Good luck!

37  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed March 11, 2006

We were married in February at this resort, and can't wait to go back. If you are looking for heaven, go no further.

We booked a regular casita but upgraded for a great price to the swim-up upon arrival. We were in our room by noon, and Obdulio had served us drinks on our patio by 12:15. The view was incredible, we were on the first floor which we recommend if you want easy access to your room, the pool, and the beach. There were lounge chairs a step off your patio, and a lazy river to the pool. Both were in immaculate condition as they were out cleaning palm leafs and anything else first thing in the morning and throughout the day. We were in the 2900 section, which I would recommend as Obdulio is the best, doesn't matter if you are at the pool, on the beach, or on your patio, you always had a cold one in your hand. Be sure to try the Miami Vice! The hot tub is awesome, only used the outdoor shower to wash off snorkel gear however I'm sure it was cool also.

We tried most of the restaurants, all were very good but portions are small so don't hesitate to order a couple. The dinner on the beach was great, very romantic. We lucked out as there was not much wind on the night we had ours, if it is windy they put up wind blocks which block the ocean view. The only complaint about food was it would have been nice not to have to have reservations every night, however there was room service which the menu was limited, however that was great for breakfast, they would set it up right on the patio each morning and it was very quick.

The beach wasn't the greatest for swimming however it was awesome for looking. I have never heard a former Marine (my husband) say "pretty" so many times! We were still in awe of the view on our last day there. The snorkeling is good by the main resort area and pier, considering it is free. Lots of fish and we were able to find lots of shells.

If you want a destination wedding, this is the place to go. While it was free if you booked a casita, get some of the extras. The bridal bouquet was beutiful, at least a dozen roses, too bad we couldn't bring it home. The photographer is a must to capture the moment. Ours spent 1 1/2 hours taking pictures all over the resort, you get a photo album with about 50 pictures, all the negatives, a CD, postcards, and a release to use the pictures any way you want. We ended up with over 115 pictures of excellant quality and didn't need to take any pictures of the resort as he covered it all! The chocolate cake was too die for, we didn't want to eat it at the ceremony so they took it away and served it at our beach dinner. But then we decided to take it back to the room, so once again the boxed it up for us and even offered to deliver it but we carried it back. The actual ceremony was short, we didn't do the legal ceremony, but that was fine by us as no family or friends were invited and we were really there for the pictutes.

Can't comment on the shows or nightlife, as it was somewhat early to bed as we wanted to be awake when the sun was out.

For tours, we did the speedboats which was a blast. The snorkeling portion wasn't that great as it the visibility was limited. We also did the parasailing right off the beach at the resort which was a blast. Give them your camera and they will take great pictures. We had also booked another snorkel tour but had to sleep in that morning so missed it. Beware of the Candadians, we ran into a few the night before the tour and somehow ended up with the bartender going around the table pouring tequila down our thoats!

Overall, we highly recommend this resort, spend the extra for the Casitas and you won't be disappointed. Just make sure you get to stay where Obdulio is working if you like your cocktails.

34  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed March 11, 2006

We stayed in a Garden View Suite at the El Dorado Royale from February 21-28, 2006. This was hands-down the BEST vacation we have ever taken. The resort looked exactly like the pictures. The food, service, atmosphere and activities were exactly as advterised on the website. We are scuba divers (see SCUBA section) looking for a romantic vacation near some world-class dive spots. We have visited several all-inclusive resorts and have always felt that something was “lacking.” The El Dorado Royale provided an absolutely flawless vacation that we will certainly take again! The bottom line: El Dorado Royale is a bit pricey, but you will definitely get what you paid for. Read on:

STAFF: The staff was absolutely delightful. I have never been any place that had friendly staff across the board. It is clear that the resort only hires extremely outgoing, well-mannered staff. They worked extremely hard, yet always managed to find time to talk and smile. You will not find better staff at any other resort!

FOOD: The website boasts EDR as a “gourmet-inclusive” resort. As advertised, the food is phenomenal. Most all-inclusives compromise the food quality for the ease of pre-paid resort meals. EDR served the best food we have ever had! At breakfast they offered a huge spread of buffet foods, plus some specialized ala carte cuisine. For super-indulgence, try the breakfast fondue and morning champagne. For lunch or midday snacks, your options include soups/salads from the health bar, burgers/pizza/nachos from the grill or more formal dining at one of the main restaurants. At lunch and dinner, you can get premium dishes such as steak, swordfish, duck, chicken, shrimp, etc at any of the main restaurants. I did not eat a single meal that I didn’t absolutely love. The food presentation is also outstanding. They really turned each dish into a work of art. WE were very impressed.

CLEANLINESS: I am extremely picky about the cleanliness of the rooms while I am vacationing. I came into the resort with plans to clean the jacuzzi myself before we used it. Upon walking to the room, it was clear that additional cleaning would have been ridiculous. The room was spotless! The staff cleans the jacuzzi each day and sanitizes everything in the bathroom. Many resorts only clean the sheets between customers, not the comforters. El Dorado cleans the comforters as well. The cleaning staff even scrubs the little rugs in the room. They really stop at nothing to keep this resort looking fabulous. One day I even witnessed a guy spending a long period of time scrubbing an outdoor trashcan.

BEACH: The beach had some huge structures in the water that I assume prevented beach erosion. The water was still turquoise and gorgeous. The water structures may have been a bit unsightly, but they kept the surf down and allowed gentler water for swimming. This was the largest stretch of beach I have ever seen for a single resort. There is plenty of room. We came during a peak season, but always managed to find lounge chairs on the beach, underneath the shade of a palapa hut. The staff came by periodically and offered us drinks while we lounged. Occasionally we found ourselves dodging a game of beach volleyball, but we could have easily moved to a quieter location. There was plenty of beach left! Overall, the atmosphere of the beach was very relaxing.

TOURS: When we checked in, our room was not quite ready, so we decided to use the time to book some tours with Lomas travel (this process took over two hours). I would NOT recommend this company. We are scuba divers looking to upgrade our certification and become advanced divers. We booked the PADI Advanced Open Water Course through Lomas travel. The dive company that handles our class was Scuba Staff Divers. I would also NOT recommend this company. The service was poor and there was a clear lack of coordination between them and Lomas Travel. We also booked a cenote (cavern) dive and an adventure trip to Coba. We knew we were paying a lot more to book with Lomas travel, but we booked anyway because they covered all transportation. We thought it would be worth the money to make our trip easier. Each morning we were picked up by a huge tour bus and spent a long time going from resort to resort picking up other travelers. Other resorts allow children, so we also contending with screaming babies and restless kids on these interminable bus rides. NOT relaxing! We also had to lug our dive gear everywhere and sometimes we had “layovers.” Our class required a few dives in Cozumel, so we took the ferry there one day. The tour bus left before our class was over, so we ended up stranded in Cozumel. We had the option of abandoning our class or finding our own transportation home at our own expense. We called Lomas Travel and were basically told “tough luck.” Ultimately the dive shop arranged a later ferry trip for us and paid for our cab out of pocket. I was EXTREMELY disappointed with Lomas Travel. They booked us on a dive trip that did not coincide with their travel times. We paid an enormous amount of money for transportation we didn’t receive. We cancelled our cenote dive and trip to Coba. Again, I reiterate: do NOT use Lomas travel. You can find the same tours much cheaper through on-site tour reps from Travel Impressions (our tour rep), Fun Jet, etc.

SCUBA DIVING: If you have never been diving before and just want to try it out, I think you will be fine booking through the on-site dive instructors. They offer free scuba demonstrations in the pool so you can test it out before you pay for lessons. However, if you are an experienced diver, I would not (ever) recommend booking through ed Dorado or any other resort. After our scuba disaster with Lomas Travel/Scuba Staff Divers, we called Abyss Dive Shop from our room. In less than five minutes, we booked a trip to the cenotes. The Abyss Dive shop is located in Playa Del Carmen, approximately 20-25 minutes away. The cost is $20 each way, but ultimately this is MUCH cheaper than booking through Lomas travel, plus it is a lot easier and requires a lot less driving/lugging dive gear. The Abyss is very reasonably priced and offers outstanding service. They served us lunch and Louis, our divemaster, told us all about the region on the trip to the cenotes. We highly recommend the Abyss Dive shop. The staff is friendly, the service is better and the trip is easier/shorter. Even with the price of a cab, you will pay significantly less money to dive through the Abyss Dive Shop. The cenote dive was beautiful. It was definitely different than any other dive I have ever done. I would also recommend taking a ferry to Cozumel. This is one of the premier dive sites in the world. There is a lot more to see on the reefs of Cozumel and in Riviera Maya/Cancun. It is worth the trip! Take the ferry over early in the morning and you will be greeted on the dock with many dive shops ready to take you out.

ROOMS: We stayed in a Garden View Suite in Building 9. This was the cheapest room possible, but we were VERY impressed. We requested a room on the top floor and had an outstanding view of the gardens. All of the rooms have balconies that face the center of the resort, so no matter which room you are assigned, the view will always be beautiful. We saw no reason whatsoever to upgrade to a beach view. Most of these rooms have only a partial view of the beach. There are not larger, don’t offer better service and are not really worth the extra money. The beach front rooms face the beach, but many rooms have obstructed views of the ocean. There are bars, palapas, pools, sidewalks and restaurants between the rooms and the beach. This is probably not a great value. I only saw the outside of the Casitas Suites. These may be worth the upgrade because guests receive premier restaurant seating, priority for reservations, larger rooms and better service. However, the standard rooms still offer impeccable service, cleanliness and plenty of amenities. The rooms have marble floors with large all-marble bathroom. The jacuzzi is a fairly good size, with marble accents and water that comes from the wall (no spigot in your back). The porch has seating for two and a hammock. Inside the room there is a table with service for two for those “order-in” nights. Room service takes less than 20 minutes, and you can order breakfast ahead of time in the evening.

Overall, we had an outstanding experience. We booked this vacation based on a recommendation from Natalie at Travel Impressions. We were very impressed and will recommend this resort to our friends and family. EDR takes service, presentation and overall hotel atmosphere VERY seriously. Other than the negative experience with Lomas Travel, we could not have had a better vacation.

52  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

March 4-11, 2006
2 couples travelling together, all aged 45-50.
There is little/no visible damage from the hurricane. Everything is open except for the saltwater pool. There are many pools and bars, we didn't even make it to all of them in a week. Beach is good and because of huge sandbags it is fairly calm so you can swim in the ocean. There are free use of kayaks, paddleboats, snorkel equipment and bicycles. There is a long walkway along the ocean-front and throughout the property for walking or jogging, and there are golf carts to transport you and your luggage as required. Highlight was the excellent food, taste, variety and presentation, and always served with china and linen napkins. If you're a food lover and appreciate nice dining experiences, go here! Book your restaurant reservations for the whole week with the Concierge asap after you check in. Check in time is 3, check out is noon. We booked the (extra cost $35. each) "Candelight dinner on the Beach" excellent steak and strolling saxaphone player.
Rooms were big with k-size canopy (hard) beds, huge bathrooms with double showers, 2 person tubs. Haridryers and irons in rooms. Live band played nightly from 9-9:30, then again after the show. Shows from 9:30-10:30 were o.k., not great. Bars had double "swings! Great service everywhere. Tips not required but seemed genuinely appreciated.

20  Thank OttawaValley2014
Reviewed March 10, 2006

We spent a week at the El Dorado Royale with another couple. We all are very picky about "where we lay our head" and can only say that we found the El Dorado 1st class in every aspect.

From the moment we walked into their fabulous lobby area (and I might add the greatest scent too), we were totally impressed. We were whisked through check-in and taken via golf-cart to our beautiful luxurious room. Unfortunately, we were in building 54 which is close to construction and our friends asked to be moved - so our wonderful Concierge moved us to building 55 (bottom floor with swim-up) for a minimal additional charge. It was oceanfront and we left our window open at night to listen to the wonderful crashing ocean waves.

My husband and I carry on a busy lifestyle, so wanted to go to a resort that was quiet, relaxing and no screaming kids. This is exactly what we got. No party animals here. We got up early and walked the beautiful manicured pathways each morning. The walkways are smooth enough to walk barefoot. We fell into a comfy kingsize bed and slept soundly. Air conditioning works great too. I loved the walk-in shower so much, I took several photos to try to construct something similiar at home. Lots of fresh clean towels, bottled water, loved the jacuzzi bath. Our friends were in the next room and we would meet on the front patio and order breakfast room service. You can order whatever you want and they will bring it. We can't say enough about the food at this resort. The best fresh squeezed orange juice - gourmet meals at every restaurant - we loved them all. Our favourite restaurants were La Isla and La Fondue. Portions are small, but after 4 or 5 courses that was still too much. We never had any problems with reservations. When you first arrive, please see your concierge (located next to your suite) and make your restaurant reservations right away. We tipped our concierge the 1st day fairly substantially and never had problems changing reservations or for any other problem they will deal with it. Remember the Mexican people do not make a lot of money, work 12 hour days and 6 days a week. Please ensure that you tip. We noticed lots of people not tipping them.

We love to snorkel and this is not the beach to do it. But no problem, we took a taxi to Akumel and thoroughly enjoyed our snorkeling there. We also took the daytrip to Tulum - make sure you wear a hat and take bottled water. It was at least 100 degrees the day we went and very humid. But truly a very interesting piece of Mexican history.

We hated to leave and will definitely go back again to this paradise. The people were all wonderful, willing to help, security in force and extraordinary seafood dishes.

41  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 7, 2006

We stayed at the EDR from March 2-7 in a Junior Jacuzzi Suite - Gardenview. Here is a summary of our stay.

We travel each year with a group of couples and choose a different adults only all inclusive. This year we chose the EDR.

What a beautiful resort. We arrived by air conditioned van and were greeted by a bellmen and wisked inside to the beautiful lobby and handed a glass of champagne and proceeded to check in. Checkin isn't until 3:00 p.m. We arrived around 11:30 and did the initial check-in. We were offered an ocean front upgrade but declined. I think the price was originally $92 additional per night and they offered it to us for $50. As with our previous trips we are the type to be out of our room all day and thought that the additional expense was not necessary. We were told to enjoy the property (restaurants, bars or change in the spa) and check back around 2:00 pm. We made our way to JoJo's and had a wonderful lunch. The waiter's were outstanding, friendly and just made our trip (Marcos and Dario you are the best!!!)

Our friends were due to arrive around 2:00 p.m. We had a great lunch and checked back at the front desk and were given our room keys and were then taken on a tour of the hotel. At this point and time the two resorts (Casitas and EDR) have NOT split. There is a sign between the resorts that says "You are welcome to use the pools and bars in the Casita section, but the beds and loungers are for Casita guests only" Not a problem, because there are many chairs and loungers around the pools and beaches for the non-casita guests.

All of the good things you have read about the resort are absolutely true. Here is my synopsis of a few things:

FOOD - The food at all the restaurants are excellent. The presentation is wonderful and the portions are fine. If you are ordering an appetizer, soup, salad and entree plus dessert you will not go hungry.

RESERVATIONS: This is a little deceiving. We had made reservations for all our nights the morning after we arrived. We could only get reservations in the 8:30 - 9:00 time frame. By the end of the week, we would go to the Martini bar have a few drinks and then show up at the restaurant 45 min to an hour prior to our reservation and did not have a problem. Each night when we arrived earlier than our reservations, the restaurant was not even full. My suggestion is to take whatever reservation they give you and turn up when you want and they will seat you, just as long as your room number/name is in the reservation book for that night.

ROOMS - the rooms were great - we had a gardenview junior jacuzzi room (825 - third floor) and it as perfect. It was very clean. Couldn't ask for anyting more.

We just had a wonderful time, Marcos and Dario (Cocotal (breakfast) and JoJo's (lunch) made our trip perfect. They are the two friendliest people at the resort. We couldn't have asked for anything more.

If you are hestating about going, my only comment is Don't Hesitate Just Go!!!! I was addicted to this site months and months prior to leaving, I can't thank you all enough for the comments. If I can answer any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

48  Thank travelprincess
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!