Stayed at El Dorado Royale over Easter, 3/23/05-3/28/05, in a Casita. We are 38, from Pennsylvania, celebrating our 15th anniversary.
My wife and I like small resorts, 20-30 rooms, and we searched to find an all-inclusive one in Mexico. Finally found Mi Hotelito with 24 rooms which is owned by the same company as El Dorado Royale. Found out a month before the trip that Mi Hotelito would not be open until late May and that we were re-booked into El Dorado Royale. Needless to say, I was not very happy about being moved from a tiny resort into what I perceived as a large resort. El Dorado surpassed my expectations in nearly every way (especially after reading some of the negative reviews on this board).
If you've never traveled in Mexico, the airport can be confusing and intimidating. My wife speaks Spanish, so we were able to figure out where we were going fairly quickly. Arrived at the resort to a great welcome. We were booked into an ocean view room in building 22, but was able to $convince$ front desk staff to move us to a Casita. May be the best money I ever spent, Casita was wonderful, especially with the bar and pool right outside your porch and the beach steps away.
We had made our dinner reservations in advance via e-mail so that was not an issue for us.
The staff and the caretakers make this a 5-star instead of a 4-star. Resort is beautiful, always someone trimming the grass or cleaning. Not a scrap of litter anywhere. Room was cleaned by 10am every day. Waiters were wonderful at every meal. Bartender at Casita bar was fantastic. They really know how to take care of guests.
Went to the spa one day, massages and treatments were comparable to a US spa.
My wife and I thought the food was great. I would describe the portion size as exactly in line with what a recommended portion size should be (4-6oz of meat or seafood, small portion of rice, etc). All of the presentations were gourmet quality. By the time we were done with 3 or 4 courses we very rarely had room for desert. The only restaurant we did not eat in was the Italian.
The smell from the mangrove trees was very strong the first day, especially on the walking path in back of the Casitas. No smell in the front or on the beach. We got used to the smell fairly quickly.
We enjoyed the beach and had no problem with the surf breaks. Without them, ocean would have been far too rough.
If you want to party and have fun you can do that at the main pool. If you want to relax in solitude you can do that on the beach or at any of the other pools. Plenty of activities or not, whatever you like!
In summary, El Dorado Royale definitely exceeded my expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale
- El Dorado Royale, By Karisma Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico