We spent 2 weeks at EDR, and had a wonderful holiday. Lots to report on:
Room: we had an ocean-front room (no view of ocean, just the Health Bar & Pool!), however it was very comfortable. The maid service was a little variable, you never knew when your room would be done (also the minibar refill), and the towel art was occasional. But the cleaning standard was excellent. I loved the pillow menu samples in the concierge office – good to be able to choose.
Breakfast: we tried La Isla for breakfast 3 times, but were not impressed. Very slow service, and the waiters seemed to have their favourites who they danced attendance on. The choice wasn’t as good as in Cocotal, so we walked up there most days. Excellent service, really good food choices, and partner was a daily visitor to the omelette chef. Recommended.
Lunch: we varied this between JoJo’s (slower but good food) and the Health Bar (quick, but more limited menu). Not keen on the pizza bar, and La Isla was like breakfast – sloooooow.
Dinner: excellent choices. We tried everything except Cocotal. Not keen on Rincon Mexicana. Fuentes was a good show, interesting. JoJo’s was OK – but same menu as at lunch. Our favourites were Italian Casitas, Santa Fe and Kampai – all visited at least twice. We tended to target about6.45pm and never had to wait once at ANY of our choices. We also went to the Cinco de Maio buffet by the Pizza Bar – which was fun. No issues with the dress code in evening – slightly less dressy than the code implies.
Now – about those food portions. Anyone saying that they are small is just being greedy. Given that you can have starter, soup, entrée and dessert – to say the portion sizes are too small just shows that you are over-eating. You know who you are…..
Bars – excellent. Day service from the beach bar was excellent, either at the bar itself, or via the very hard-working beach servers. Partner tipped a couple of $ per day, which seemed to be appreciated. In the evening, we loved the bar by the beach in Casitas (fantastic and very hard-working barman there, didn’t catch his name). The Bellinis bar was also nice for being indoors.
We avoided the main pool, much too busy and LOUD. Amazed to see so many people drinking in the pool. The health bar pool was quiet, and we loved Fabian the Beach Butler. Over the weekend period (busiest for American arrivals) there was a bit of a ‘who can get the towels out earliest’ competition, but mid-week was fine. I should also note that if you happen to be in a room above the swim-up rooms, it can get very noisy with impromptu parties – some guests are not too considerate of others.
The hotel grounds are immaculately kept. Yes there are lots of golf buggies, but you can hear them coming, so no issues with traffic. We walked most places – only took a buggy home on a couple of evenings. We also went on the Greenhouse tour – very impressive. All the staff are very friendly (except the health bar, a bit standoffish). Our first week concierges Elisabeth and Jorge were lovely – not so keen on the 2nd week pairing (although still helpful).
Thomson reps were squeaky and not very impressive. However, we had little cause to visit them. I liked the concept of keeping the reps in a separate building, out of the hotel lobby!
Would highly recommend EDR - it can be as loud or as quiet as you like, and the location is wonderful. Excellent standard of food and drink.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Conde Nast Traveler Readers’Top 100 Hotels in the world and a AAA Four Diamond Resort, El Dorado Royale is an adults-only destination that provides the ultimate in service in the ultimate setting.With more than a mile of sandy beach in Mexico's Riviera Maya, El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort, by Karisma offers an escape which no other destination can match. All the luxuries you can dream of, combined with an emphasis on personal attention to your every whim, make this an ideal location for a getaway. Travelers join us from around the world for romantic outdoor beach weddings or ceremonies in our intimate beachfront chapel, relaxing honeymoons, anniversary celebrations, or just much needed time off. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, Cheap Tickets and Cancelon so you can book your El Dorado Royale, by Karisma reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- El Dorado Royale Hotel Riviera Maya
- El Dorado Royale Mexico
- El Dorado Royale Cancun
- El Dorado Royale Spa Resort
- El Dorado Royale Resort
- Eldorado Royale
- El Dorado Royale, By Karisma Playa Paraiso, Riviera Maya, Mexico