El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
$353
$240
Iberostar Paraiso Maya(Playa Paraiso)
$327
$682
$466
  • Breakfast included
Iberostar Paraiso Beach(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
$320
$264
  • Breakfast included
IBEROSTAR Paraiso Del Mar(Playa Paraiso)(Great Value!)
$408
$222
$347
$305
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
11,181 results
All reviewsmartini barhealth barswim up roomsanta fesand bagscasita sectionk teamla isla poolfuentes poolour honeymoonroom serviceoutdoor showerswing bargreenhouse tourpersonal conciergewine pairingculinary theatre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I have to say that both the royal and casita side of this resort are great. Besides being so clean and beautifully landscaped, the people that work at this resort are the friendliest and most helpful I have ever experienced. Not one person walks by you without saying "hola" and with a smile.
The rooms were clean and well maintained. The restaurants while not being too accommodating to larger groups, served food that was tasteful, and beautifully presented. The alcohol was top grade and there are so many choices of where to sit and just enjoy a drink and the view.
One of the few problems we encountered were not having enough seats at the main pool and trouble making dinner reservations. Other than that we had a great time and would HIGHLY recommend this as your vacation destination.

Room Tip: Loved the casitas but the oceanfront rooms are the best location in my opinion. Also if you are staying in a casita, book a casita that has swim up.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Dear AndiA25,
We have been honored with a review not only from an expert traveler such as yourself, but also the fact that you show satisfied with your experience makes us feel really proud of our site and staff.

Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services.
It will be great to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable vacation.

Best Regards

Reviewed May 1, 2014

We just returned from our second stay at the El Dorado Royale 4/25-30. There were 3 couples who traveled and we had a fantastic trip.

Check in: We arrived early and rooms weren't ready which was expected, no big deal. For the most part check in went well with one rather odd experience. 2 of the 3 couples booked the Luxury Jr Suite category. Both were repeat guests. We were downgraded but not informed and the other couple was offered Casitas because the category booked was not available. We had cross referenced all of our reservations so it did not make sense to treat members of a group differently and to not offer the category paid for. When rooms were ready, we went back up to talk to the staff (nicely) and ended up getting the category paid for while the other party was upgraded to Premium ocean front. Ultimately it benefited all of us since we were able to meet up in the Ocean front room for drinks most nights and we got what we paid for. I just do not like it when members of a group are treated inconsistently. It's nothing that impacted the trip.

Room: We were in block 6, second floor, with a view of the pool. We were never in the room other than to sleep so view was irrelevant. The room itself was clean, in good repair. The shower worked great. Dual sinks were nice. The king bed was very comfortable and best of all, the air conditioning was phenomenal!!!!!! We love traveling to Cancun but the majority of the time the AC does not work that well. Our room had an upgraded unit with a remote and worked fantastic. We were very happy with our room.

Grounds: Lovely grounds, well maintained, enjoyed seeing lizards / iguanas of varying sizes. Being in block 6, it was fairly easy to get around, other than the long walk to restaurants on the Casitas side. However, I have never seen so many golf carts zipping around (I don't remember seeing that many last trip). It was very easy to catch a shuttle and get where you needed to go and depending on the location of your room, the walk isn't that bad.

Pools: First day we secured chairs at Los Tucanes. It's a smaller, quieter pool, but with a very nice swim up bar, plenty of chairs and was a perfect place to relax. The rest of the time, we secured a bed and/or chairs by the La Isla pool. That was a very active pool!! The pool bar was fantastic. They have a phenomenal drink menu and great liquor selection, athough they had a tendency to "run out" of certain popular liquors at the end of the day when they wanted to clear out the pool. All iln all, we really liked that pool. The comments about reserving chairs are generally accurate. We had a group of 6 so we were up by 5-6am to secure seats together. If we were just there as a couple, we would have gone wherever we could find seats and not bothered getting up so early. On the last few days of the trip the crowd really lightened and chairs were available as late as 9 to 10am. Most people were very friendly and we met a lot of people from across the US and from England. It's sad to see so many disparaging comments on this board for people of different nationalities. Everyone we encountered was nice and friendly. I will say the La Isla pool is a very busy activity pool (I have never seen such large groups playing water polo, water volleyball, doing aerobics, etc.) so if someone is looking for a quieter experience, they should go to Los Tucanes or elsewhere.

Service:
Generally, service was very good across the board. Our room was always cleaned, bar was restocked, we received turn down a couple times which was nice. Minibar has a nice beer selection.
One experience worth noting was on our way to the Italian restaurant on the Casitas side. We started near block 40 and got close to Kampai on the Casitas side when the cart began to run out of juice. We turned that into a laugh until we reached the point where he really had to leave us. The walk was a little longer than anticipated from that point, but perfectly manageable. Here's the remarkable part.... Once we finished dinner, the DRIVER CAME BACK TO GET US TO BRING US TO OUR ROOM. I have never had that level of service, to actually go to that extent to provide good service is exceptional. I wish I had the name of the driver to recognize him, it was impressive!

I also wanted to call out Fernando, the La Isla bartender, he provided phenomenal service. (all the bartenders were really very good, but he was there most often). He knew our go to drinks and worked so very hard. Our favorite shot was mini beers (tasted like banana Laffy Taffy or a Now & Later)

Food:
Generally, it was very good and certainly above average.

Day 1 we tarted at JoJos for lunch. Appetizers were good, they brought them out without even ordering which was nice, but main dishes were inconsistent. Service was weak towards the end of the meal - no drink refills. It was probably my least favorite option.

Kampai was our choice for dinner, every single dish was phenomenal. I loved the Chicken Tonkatsu and Duck Teppanyaki (we shared) and everyone else loved their dishes too. Highly recommend it. I think this was probably our #1 favorite. We dined very late and the waiters came over and did little magic tricks for us at the end of the meal. It was lots of fun, great service.

Pizza place by the pool: Excellent lunch option and the most casual in terms of dress code. Pizzas were on cracker thin crisp crust and everyone loved it. I ordered the vegetarian and it was delicious. Dorado dog was delicious. They also provided fresh guacamole and pico upon request with chips, excellent! Orlando and Alex were two stand out waiters at this location.

Rincon: Open for dinner and lunch most days. Their tacos at lunch were phenomenal. We loved the fish tacos and the different beef tacos. You could also request fresh guac with chips. The only complaint we had is that they were inconsistent with their dress code. Some people would be questioned whether they were at the pool and almost turned away while other people who were dripping had no issue. It's very hard to be completely dry at lunch!

Rincon Dinner: Excellent! This was probably our #2 restaurant for dinner. Duck Carnitas and Calamari are great appetizers. The entrees were phenomenal as well. Great service. On our second visit, I ordered the same appetizer i had the first time but it wasn't available, so the waiter asked them to make something special for me. That was a surprise.

Italian at the Casitas: This restaurant is mentioned as a favorite on the board, but we were not impressed. Service was excellent, the tomato and mozzarella appetizer was very good, delicious dessert and espresso. Lobster Lasagna was just okay. We would not have gone back had we more time. I think the food was so good at other locations that this one paled in comparison.

Santa Fe Grill: Phenomenal for a group. Beware, they bring out massive quantities of food and it was hard to figure out how to pace ourselves. They start with several types of appetizers, salad, soup, then you choose an entree, and they bring a selection of desserts. it was very good! But so much food! Their mushroom soup was unbelievable.

Side note: All restaurants have the same house wine and I particularly liked the Sauvignon Blanc.

Breakfasts: We did the sit down at La Isla the first morning and the service was way too slow. The food was fine, but I don't need a 2 hour breakfast. After that, we went to the main lobby at Cocotol for the buffet. They have made to order omelettes, great french toast, fresh fruit, and all kinds of other options. I just like to grab a little something in the morning so this was perfect.

All in all, we had a great trip. Wonderful rooms, good food, interesting bars, great service, beautiful grounds. We love to try different places but if we found the right deal, we would certainly return and I highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Friends in Block 14 commented that they could hear all the wedding music each night. It was usually over fairly early, but you could hear it. Block 6 doesn't have a great view, but it's conveniently located to everything.
5  Thank Renee081
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear Renee081,
We really appreciate you having taken the time to write this review with such a detailed description of your stay in our property. We feel very proud to acknowledge that as a member you feel so enthusiastic with a keen description of all our Gourmet inclusive restaurants am sure that many of our trip advisor fellow readers will definitely appreciate your recommendations and suggestions.
On the other hand i am concerned about your first hours with us, we will definitely be checking with our front line supervisors to see if all standard procedures are being followed so this type of situation would not occur.
We are grateful to know that this did not merge your vacation with us, and that you still have confidence in us for your next visit.
Looking forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma
Warm regards
Beat Müller

Reviewed April 30, 2014

The resort overall was excellent. The grounds were well maintained, staff friendly, lots of activites to do, clean beaches, food was well prepared, efficient shuttle service. The room was very nice and cleaning staff were prompt and thorough. I believe everyone that was in the party enjoyed themselves.

The resort missed an excellent rating due to an incident at restaurant "Rincon Mexicano". The area where my table was located had a mild infestation of small red ants. And when I opened my napkin, I found a small bug crawling around.

I will recommend this resort and also "Beach Bum vacations" and Nanda personally as an ideal place to go to arrange a trip.

Room Tip: I liked my room(#307) as it was central in the resort and a pool was right off the back.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
18  Thank John W

Dear travelers from Canada

My most respectful greetings to you from sunny Mexico! We very much appreciate your review which points out an interesting matter.
I would like to thank your valuable comments since they allow us to identify our improvement opportunities and put immediate corrective actions into practice.

Thanks once again and we hope that you will visit is us again and see the improvment in this restaruant.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed April 29, 2014

My wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary at El Dorado Royale. This resort is top notch in every way. It truly is as billed a 5 star resort. The service in every area is top notch. Our concierge Gabriel and Martha went out of their way to make our stay 1st class.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scott C

Dear Scott C,

We have been honored with your having chosen our resorts for such a special celebrations like your 25th Anniversary and the fact that you show so satisfied with your experience makes us feel really proud of our site and staff. Especialy Gabriel and Martha which you are so kind to mention.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I was expecting big things from this place...and it delivered!
I'll keep this short (as i can). Room was amazing - even the standard room is beautiful, we were in the sensi mar part which was quiet. The pool bar staff were amazing especially Maggy!! I appreciate Antonio coming around and straightening our towels and giving us fresh water.
Tours & activities easy to book and we did ours through Thomson (just easier).
Restaurants were amazing, loved all the waiters - there was only one occasion where someone rushed us, took the wrong order and ignored us for a larger party in La Isla - so we left!
Unfortunately the food 95% of the time was not hot - i don't know if thats how they do it out there but it was all pretty much just warm or cold. But very tasty! Especially cocotal for breakfast and Kampai for dinner!
Grounds were maintained amazingly! We always had a lounger or bed and the Guacamayas bar was so fun at night. Everyone did make an effort with their dress code in the evenings. Room service was good - bit limited in choice.
We just got back yesterday and already i am finding ways to move to Mexico! Beautiful country and El Dorado do the Gourmet all inclusive so well that no one else can do better!! We are going to try all of their resorts.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade when you check-in, we didn't but i wish i did!
5  Thank Amelia Y

Dear friend from United Kingdom:

It is indeed a pleasure to receive such a nice review highlighting our natural background of our new area Sensimar, facilities, services and most of all, our staff professionalism and kindness.

Both, our manager and executive chef are tuned tuned-in very well with the spirit of our site and they have been heartily taking notes of your comments regarding presentation of the food.

We would be more than pleased to welcome you in any of our sister properties

Best regards,