“Perfect Vacation”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I vacationed from March 26 to April 2, 2014 as members of the resort. We love it here. The foods is always very good and the staff is the best. We have traveled to many places in the Carribean and I can tell you the service is top grade. Every morning when leaving our room we were greeted by staff member asking if we needed anything in our room or if they could do anything for us and always with a smile. When we come to this resort we feel like we are treated like Royalty. This is what a vacation should be like. We love it at El Dorado Royale.

Room Tip: A swim up room is nice, if you prefer to have pool at your back door.
2  Thank Mary K
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Dear Miss. Mary K,

Thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased that as a memeber you keep returing and enjoying your stay with us and we are looking forward to returning again thank you for your loyalty. It's particularly pleasing to hear our team be referred to as friendly and willing to help
Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe.
Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards from your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma home and the pearl of the Caribe

Warmest regards.

Sincerely yours.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My wife & I have vacationed at a number of upscale resorts and, unfortunately, found our experience here lacking. The grounds & the room were fine but it was a series of many small issues that took away from what could & should have been a great vacation.

Having to wait between 45 minutes and 1 hour 45 minutes to get into one of the restaurants was completely unacceptable especially since you had to wait around the area of the restaurant where there generally wasn't much to do. The only nights where we didn't have to wait at least 45 minutes was when we booked at Fuentes and Sante Fe and there was one day where we had to wait 20 minutes to get a seat for breakfast. We also showed up at the Mexican restaurant for lunch one day at about 12:05 pm (it was supposed to open at 12 noon), we're greeted and told it would just be a minute but left at 12:20 pm as we were still waiting to be seated and told it would be just another minute. Once you got into the restaurant, service was generally very erratic; either very good or very bad.

We found the quality of the food once you got it was generally pretty good and weren't concerned about the portion sizes which were on the smaller side but we're not big eaters. For a resort that promotes itself as gourmet included, we found the quality of the house wines to be very poor and many nights couldn't drink what was provided and switched over to a soft drink or a beer.

Other issues included TV's that didn't work for 3 days, bartenders (especially at the bar near the beach) that would serve people flashing money & ignore other guests, rooms being cleaned very late in the day (and after 5 pm one day), inadequate supply of loungers around the pools, the absence of a casual grill where you could grab something quick (e.g. a burger or a slice of pizza) during the day and take it back to where you were sitting, very uncomfortable chairs on the balcony of the room, the absence of any umbrellas to create shade by the quieter Tucanes pool where we had to go many times due to no lounges available at the La Isla pool, the iguana droppings not being cleaned up at the Tucanes pool over the entire time that we were at the resort and the cost of Wi-Fi which should be free at a so-called premium resort.

Like many resorts, the practice of some guests going out extremely early in the morning (e.g. 6:30 am) to reserve spaces around the pool occurred at this resort and there were many days where we weren't able to get a space around either La Isla or the Tucanes pool at 8 am before we went to breakfast. Many of these spots would not be occupied for many hours during the day. This did, however, take away from our ability to relax and enjoy the resort. While this is more of an issue with the guests, we have been to other resorts (e.g. Sandals La Toc in St. Lucia) where the resort staff managed this to be fair to all guests.

We were lucky to have perfect weather while we were at the resort. Having read the reviews and understanding what we paid to visit this resort, we simply expected a higher quality and more consistent experience. At a large resort like this, it is normal to expect a few irritations and inconveniences but the cumulative impact of a large number of them really took away from the enjoyment of our vacation and, as a result, we are not likely to stay in an El Dorado or Karisma resort again.

As a final comment, I did complete the customer satisfaction survey when I was checking out of the hotel, made many similar comments & gave the hotel permission to contact me. After almost two months after our vacation ended, there has been no response from the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Duncan R
KarismaHotelsResorts, Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Thank you for your recent review sharing your experiences of your visit earlier this year to our hotel. we are very happy to announce that we have a new General Manager at the El Dorado Royale who has been made aware of your comments and we will be sure to use your comments to perfect our Gourmet Inclusive experience

we are very interested to hear more about your experience and speak with you directly , we have reached out to you by private message

Best Regards

Anna Pegler
Head of Customer services
El Dorado Spa Resorts and Hotels

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Just back from the El Dorado Royale, amazing place, excellent customer service, very good, but skip the loyalty program presentation if you want a perfect vacation.

In a nutshell, the grounds are immaculate, customer service is excellent, and the food very good, with a good variety. The only minus is the beach, but not necessarily a deal breaker. more details below.

We are a couple in our late 40s, we take a one week beach vacation a year, and the only goal is to relax at the beach, and that is all we do. We always book in 4.5 - 5 stars hotels. We are not looking for the cheapest deal, but good quality-price ratio. Our expectations are a clean and well appointed room, good food, good service and a nice beach, and hopefully this will come with wall to wall sunshine.

The El Dorado did not disappoint overall. First and foremost, service is excellent. It is obvious that the El Dorado made customer service a priority. Everybody was extremely nice, and helpful. (The one exception was at the "timeshare" pitch, but I am discounting this one bad interaction. More below on that topic). We had a access to a concierge, Erica, whom was very helpful. Everybody speaks english, and speak it very well. Service at all the restaurants we went to was attentive, friendly and efficient. The food was very good everywhere we went. Of note, Fuentes, a culinary experience, where a chef shows how the food is prepared (there is a bit of cooking, but is it more an explanation of what is to be served). This is a five-course meal, with the option of wine pairing for an extra charge (from memory: $40 US /person), which we went for. The presentation was ok, the food was very good. I am no wine expert, but the wine was very good too.

The room, a junior suite, was very nice, and clean. It included a jacuzzi, which they filled for us on a couple of occasions upon making the room for the night. A nice touch. The mini-bar included several brands of beer, soft drinks and water. The king bed was confortable, but a bit soft ( not a big deal), there is plenty of storage, and a safe. There is also a coffee machine. The washroom was very cleaned, and had all the toiletries you expect.

Outside grounds are immaculate, a very nice pool with a swim up bar. This brings me to the matter of the beach, the sandy part is nice, the "problem" is with the water part. There are a lot of rocks at the bottom, which made it difficult to walk in and enjoy. If you are pool people, and don't bother with the beach, no problem. However, we are beach people, therefore this was a disappointment, we had to watch at all time where you put your feet, and swimming was not really an option. We think the stretch a beach is the same at hotels in that areas, because we talked to people at the airport that were a different hotels, and they provided similar comments. I guess this part is decided by Mother Nature. The manmade sandbags, although not visually appealing, it did not bother me as much as the rocks issue.

Lastly, and against our better judgement, we went to the loyalty "not a time share" program presentation. We knew better, but because our stay was great, we thought that this may be a place we would go back to despite our beach concerns because everything else was great.

The presentation started with useless chitchats ( I don't like to waste time), so I asked the person to move his presentation along so we could enjoy our last day at the beach... it was downhill from there. We obviously messed up his script and the man was not happy. After several attempts at asking how exactly the loyalty program works, the presenter told us, it does not work that way (I took that that as we should not be asking these types of questions at that stage of the presentation).So back to useless chitchats. When I suggested that we were all wasting time, and that we should go... he got concerned and grew desperate, He said the we owed him the courtesy of staying the agreed hour, which we would have if he would not have been so arrogant. He told us several times that nobody forced us the be there, so after he repeated that for the third time, I got upset, told him that I did not appreciate the way things were going and we walked out. He followed us down the stairs, and said something in spanish to a lady at the front desk. I don't know what he said, but seeing his desperation just before we left (which did not take any of his arrogance away), I think he will have some explanation to provide for not being able to keep us "captive". I have no doubt that he will blame his failure on us.

He mentioned in his desperation that they (the "sales persons") only have one customer/couple per day. I thought that is was weird and not very efficient since presentations are only for an hour, but based on some posts i just read (did research what other people had to say about that experience), I now understand that the "hour" is really like 3, 4 or 5 hours... as long as it takes to convince you... I guess.

Overall, we highly recommend, with the caveat mentioned about the beach, and the "Loyalty Program".

Room Tip: This is not a tip about getting a better room, but a better vacation. Unless you are truly interest...

Dear Michou1.

We really appreciate you having taken the time to write this review with such a detailed description of our facilities, services and staff your experience about your recent stay with all TripAdvisor readers. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the facilities and services and that during your holiday you were so well looked after by the team and especially that you enjouyed the Gourmet inclusive that we offer to all our guest and the wamest service.

We want to apologize for the experience that you had at our members program, this is important for us and I have already addressed your concerns to the respective Manager in charge of our Memebers loyalty program
Hopefully you allow us to host you one more time in the near future at your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma your Mexican Home.

Warmest regards.

Sincerely yours.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My husband and I came to the Edr in July 2013 and stayed for 11 nights. I paid an extra £350 for the anniopackage which included an (apparently upgraded) seafront room, a couples massage, breakfast in bed, champagne on arrival and a candlelight dinner on the beach. The hotel grounds are vast and you have 3 el dorado hotels next door to eachother. The grounds are beautiful and looks like a lush forrest of palms with rivers running through. We were taken to our room on a golf cart which was fun. The room wasn't one of the recently refurbished ones which was disappointing as I had emailed the hotel several times and asked for a new room, as I know they weren't at capacity.
Anyway, the first night we went to d'italia for dinner, yum!!! Fillet steak on the first night, perfect, it really is fine dining. You get a choice of house red or white, which is ok, or spirit's which I think for the most part were top shelf, or their local beer which wasn't so good. We had the standard plate of desserts with congratulations written in chocolate on it, nice touch. To summarise the restaurants, it had to be cocotal for breakfast (steak and eggs, or waffles with syrup and bacon, or masses of tropical fresh fruits and breads), jojos for lunch and either kampai (Asian,sushi, stir fries, gorgeous) or d'italia (either one)for dinner. The martini bar in the main reception is good for some strong top shelf cocktails before dinner. And the bellini bar near the second d'italia restaurant in the casitas is also good. Our room was near the health bar which was lovely for smoothies, protein shakes, salads or healthy lunches.
We did the bike ride around the resort, which was great, this hotel tries to be as self sufficient as possible. And grow a massjve amount of their own veg, in their huge greenhouses.
We didn't do any other activities at the resort, however we did venture out. We took the arranged bus to playa del Carmen one evening, we went to a a random Mexican (?) restaurant on the strip which was ok, but there wasn't much to do, and you do get mildly harassed, although all good fun and non threatening.
We also went to maroma beach and did snorkeling, again, ok and I saw some cool fish, including a puffa which I held....very surreal, a good enough day out. We did however do, Xplore which was part of the Xcaret development. This was awesome, ziplining high above the jungle, tearing around in a diesel buggy underground and swimming through some beautiful underground lagoons, unforgettable.
We didn't go to cancun as are not big fans of touristy flocks.
This hotel was wonderful, we adored it, it had multiple pools, so many bars, plenty of restaurants, the staff were friendly, our concierge was good and the trips were well organised.
We paid even more for our dinner on the beach as we wanted lobster, they probably could have just included it seeing as people had paid to be upgraded anyway. However the dinner was good so no complaints there. The 'champagne' is not champagne and does have an odd taste, but I guess lots of people wouldn't be able to tell. Each to their own, but we didn't enjoy the dining theatre, very pretentious and being told how to eat the food and being encouraged to buy wine to accompany each course is not what I want when spending 4.5k on a holiday. The couples massage was fabulous, we both loved it, very relaxing.
Loads of iguanas and lizards roaming the grounds, some were over half a metre long, all quite tame though.
Tips were not expected at all, however we gave it freely to those who deserved it, lovely lady on the beach who kept us topped up with beer in the heat, tirelessly walking up and down the beach. The beach was fine but could have been kept cleaner, considering how immaculate everywhere else was. Beware of the saltwater pool, we almost went in one day but decided against it, lucky we did as they hauled a huge saltwater Croc out of there later that day....yikes!
You get a lot more included if you stay in the sister hotel 'casitas' next door, but you do pay through the nose for it and actually a lot of the casitas aren't that private as are on the ground floor with people walking passed all the time.

My review is somewhat disjointed I know but as it was such a long time ago, I'm remembering as I go.
The resort has a gym and a lovely spa, although we went for a jog a couple of mornings around the resort before it got too hot, and boy does it get hot, and crazy humid, be careful with sunscreen as your likely to sweat it off in moments.
We had a massive storm on the last night which was absolutely terrifying, but amazing also.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Hannah P

Dear Hannah P,
Thank you for recounting your experience in such vivid detail. You clearly have a keen eye – for spotting wildlife, style & aesthetics, customer service – and I am thrilled that you loved everything you laid eyes on.

I am sure that many of our trip advisor fellow readers will definitely appreciate your recommendations and suggestions.
We hope the memories of El Dorado Royale stay fresh in your memory always – though we hope and look forward for your visit once again in the near future.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed April 5, 2014

This place is fantastic. We had a very relaxing beautiful holiday. There is so much to say but I won't go on too much but just believe me that it is a great place with brilliant staff.

Sensimar - this is the quiet area, complete opposite end to Casitas. New, only opened Dec '13. We have heard that Thomson are trying to promote this to German guests. We loved this pool & the restaurant served breakfast & buffet lunches. Julio who ran the bar is great & Maggy, our pool waitress was so efficient & friendly.

All restaurants are good. Our least favourite was the Mexican, it's the most un-Mexican menu I have ever seen. Our favourite was D'Italia Casitas. Khampi (Asian menu) is very good however the service did let it down & we were not the only ones who thought that. We did raise the issue on the night with the waiter who then sulked for the remainder of our meal. There can be a short wait at some restaurants (Khampi & D'Italia Casitas) but they have a buzzer whilst you wait at the bar & we never waited more than 20mins.

We heard that guests can also visit the restaurants in the next hotel along called Generations. It's a sister hotel that allows children. Other guests went & told us that the food was amazing.

The staff really do make this place. The smiles, politeness & laughing was not put on for the guests they all seemed genuinely happy with their work. When it says all inclusive it really is. Everything except bottles of wine & champagne however glasses of each are included. Huge selection of branded spirits & beer.

That's it for the review, there is so much to say but in a nutshell, go and enjoy it!!!! If you want any details get in touch

Room Tip: We had a standard room which was great. Large walk in shower, separate toilet & 2 sinks. Large j...
2  Thank Judrop

Dear Mrs. Judrop,
Thank you so much for this wonderful comments and the five star rating, I'm sure this review will be very helpful to other travelers.
I would like you to know that your comments are appreciated and well received.Your comments of our Rincon Mexicano menu, is already being reviewed by our Head chefs. Thank you, this is extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue to improve our gourmet all inclusive experience and services. We look forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your holiday home.

Sincerely yours

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We booked this hotel as a special treat after my boyfriend had returned from a tour of Afghanistan. It was absolutely lovely - great room, great pools, great food and drink. The staff were cheery and helpful. We arrived to a two double bed room, but really wanted one king bed to share - staff upgraded us as soon as they could (next morning). The bathrooms in particular are beautifully done.

My only complaint - which is nothing to do with the hotel - was the location, which was miles away from anything. On reflection, we should have stayed in Cancun, as we're not the kind of couple who wants to laze around and relax at a resort for our entire stay (although we certainly wanted some of that!). Perfect if that's what you're looking for, though.

I would ignore any complaints about lots of weddings (we didn't see any) and sand bags in the water - we didn't have a problem with those, even though they didn't add to the aesthetics, because we definitely don't want the beach to erode!

All in all, I'd really recommend this resort.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear friends from United Kingdom,

We very much appreciate your review which points out some interesting matters.
We understand your experience was not exactly perfect, since your looking for somehing diffrent of what we offer as you mention relax, romance and couples getaways,but you can be certain that all your comments will be taken into consideration and are appreciated. We are continuously improving our performance in all areas is our main task.
Thank you so much for your contribution and recomendation it is well appreciated.

Best regards

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We recently returned from a two week stay at this hotel, my review has to be in two parts, firstly the hotel itself is situated in immaculately maintained grounds and the rooms are very nice BUT the food as, as far as we were concerned simply did not measure up to our expectations.
The gourmet restaurants heralded a return to a period in time when all of the establishments in Europe went over to neauvo cuisine ie very small portions which left you hungry after five or six courses, all bar one of the restaurants operate just one fixed menu every evening.

The one thing which we found absolutely awful was the show cooking restaurant Fuentes, twenty minutes between each course and little more than a mouthful for each course! for example.. A "traditional" English dish was as follows.. Take one champagne flute, place a desert spoon full of minced beef and place it in the bottom of the glass, top up with mashed potato and finish with a sprinkling of caramelised onions.. This was supposed to be shepherds pie!!! Somebody should at least tell the chef that shepherds pie is made with lamb, we were so incensed that at this point we left the place..
Our concierge, Mauricio, was nothing short of brilliant and we much appreciated his attention to everything. Breakfast in Cocotal was, however, very good and we were able to enjoy a full English breakfast to start the day but as for the rest of the time we found the food not good at all. With so many Americans staying at the hotel I'm very surprised that you couldn't get a decent steak anywhere.
All in all we would not return to this hotel based on the food alone, we spoke to many guests who felt the same way.

2  Thank Alan F

Thank you for you recent review of your visit to the El Dorado Royale. I would like you to know that your praise for Maurico will not go unnoticed and he will be rewarded accordingly.

It is very disappointing to hear that your culinary experiences did not live up to expectations. We are truly very sorry and your comments have been addressed with our Food and Beverage manager and executive chef. we can assure you that your experiences are not reflective of dining experiences and unique Gourmet Inclusive experience

we hope that we have the opportunity to host your holiday again in the future so that we can show you firsthand the improvements that you have helped us to achieve

Best Regards

Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#10 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!