“AMAZING!!”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 28, 2014

the resort is amazing huge and well laid out with plenty of bars and not a kid in sight ;) my partner particularly loved the health bar and went every day while I lazed on the beach, the staff are fantastic and even at 3am when you cant sleep and are exploring the grounds there friendly and smiling, make sure you bring tipping money as getting a drink served faster is easier blame the Americans! room was spotless as were the grounds and lawns, plenty of choice for food all day, overall an amazing experience and we will definitely be back as soon as we can afford it again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank burgen1
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Dear Guest¡¡

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and rating us with the 5 stars award. We are glad to know how much you have enjoyed your stay with us in this little paradise called Riviera Maya, that our facilities and service were up to your expectations.

Your comments are extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue improving our services. We look forward to welcome you back very soon at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican home.

There are newer reviews for El Dorado Royale, by Karisma

Reviewed January 28, 2014

My husband and I joined Exotic Travelers on our last visit to Mexico when we stayed at El Dorado Maroma. We really enjoyed that stay and wish we had been there longer, we only stayed a week. We thought to try Royale this time as it was bigger and more choices for dining and the possibility of entertainment. Our pick up and check in was non-stressful. Our room was beautiful. We got a Presidential suite since we are members with a jacuzzi and a great view from the balcony. We enjoyed our meals and tried most of the restaurants. We especially liked La Isla for breakfast, I love to eat outside. We did try Cocotal for breakfast a couple times for the made to order eggs but the acoustics make it difficult to have a conversation with more than one person. Some problems that we encountered that made our vacation less than what I had hoped for: the noise factor that we put up with in our room each night and a seemingly shortage of wash cloths. I will start my complaints with the wash cloth issue. To me having a wash cloth is not an option especially in a posh resort but a necessity. I was more than a little irritated that after the first day, our wash cloths were not replaced. I understand that some foreign hotels do not supply these however this is not a low rent place. This hotel uses those same wash cloths in some of the public rest rooms to dry your hands so I did not in the least understand why they are not supplied regularly and without special request in the rooms. When I complained they did reappear in our room although, some of the washcloths and a few of the towels we had looked like something that should have gone in the rag bag. Things did improve as time went on but this should not have happened anyway. As far as the noise went, our room was in the 4000 block. If you value quiet at night and do not stay up til 2 AM partying, do not take a room in this area. The building is located too close to the entertainment area. To the resort's credit they offered to move us more than once, unfortunately they did not ask me, specifically, but my husband. He minimized the problem and said he did not want to move as we were already settled although he complained more about it to me. On our last day, I answered the phone and we talked about the noise and they offered to move us again and I declined as we were leaving. This will not happen again, this I have promised myself. Off resort excursions are easily set up. We visited Playa del Carmen and Cancun via the resort bus. Had some fun. We visited Tulum. I enjoyed the beach although it is a bit rocky.

Room Tip: 4000 block is close to entertainment area and should be avoided if you want quiet at night.
2  Thank Sally S

Dear Guest¡¡

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma. It was a pleasure to welcome you and be the host of your holiday.

I would like you to know that I have taken notes of the issues mentioned with the wash cloths and also the allocation of your room. I am currently conducting your comments and a review of all the details you mentioned, I would like to thank your valuable comments since they allow us to identify our improvement opportunities and put immediate and corrective actions into practice; I can assure you that we will take the correct measures to ensure from now on that all our guests receive the best service.

Again, it was a great honor to host your holiday and I look forward to your return, if you give us the opportunity in your El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

Just returned from a week's stay. This was our third trip to this resort and we have enjoyed every trip. We always get the swim up room and we think it is well worth the extra cost. We got the premium swim up and were not disappointed.

Check In - if you arrive earlier than 3:00 or with a big group of people expect to wait for your room. We always bring a change of clothes in our carry on bag so it was no big deal for us as we just changed and headed out for lunch. The check is was seamless. We were brought to one of the side desks for check in (think this was part of premium service) and everything was taken care of.

Food - we always enjoyed the food and the new Sante Fe restaurant was a welcome addition. The short rid was amazing. Some people have written that they have had issues getting into some of the restaurant's but we did not have any issues. We always went between 6-7 and never had any issues. If you arrive later as most people seem to eat later, than I suspect there may be a wait.

We ate at both the Italian restaurant in the regular section and the Casita section. Slightly different menu and both great food and great service. The dinner theatre was fun and the presentation was interesting.

Most lunches were at the outdoor restaurant. Try the south of the border burger for a great chili cheese burger. I know, not the healthiest choice but I was on vacation and I loved it. Macdiel provided great service with a smile.

Service - Nothing short of excellent. Our concierge was great. Sergeio and Ale were excellent answering questions and providing assistance when we needed it. Sergio went out of his way to help out get us a cable for our computer. If we ever needed anything, a quick visit and it was taken care of. Room service was always within 30 (although sometimes the food was not always hot, it was always warm). Another example of the great service was when we got up one morning and noticed that the lazy river in front of our room had collected a large amount of leaves etc. Talked to Ale and within 20 minutes someone was skimming the pool. The cleaning staff were excellent, and frankly all the staff were friendly and helpful.

I think some people that have issues with the service need to relax a little. One day the room cleaning was quite late and the fridge did not get restocked. This was the day that I was told 300 people were arriving at the resort (not to mention a huge amount leaving). We knew if we called we could get taken care of, but we knew that people were extremely busy and would get to us when they could. Relax, have a cerveza and enjoy.

Safety - you hear and read about some scary stuff in Mexico. We were never concerned. The resort itself does a good job or tracking people coming and going and ensuring there are no unwelcome guests at the resort. We even like to venture out on our own by getting a cab and heading into Playa. We know the area a little so are not concerned in the least. Mexico is like a lot of places, there are some areas where you could find yourself in a not so fun place if you are not careful. Quite frankly, some areas of Toronto concern me more that when we were in Mexico. Do some homework on where you are going, use the tour services provided by the suppliers at the hotels. Yes you may pay a little more, but you are pretty sure you will get good service and taken care of.

The Olympus tour people at the resort (just to the side as you head towards the main entrance) were great to deal with. Jesus provided some great information (best place to buy premium liquor is at the Europa store in Playa or Cancun) and helped organize a great day trip to Cozumel.

I can't comment to much on the night life. This time of year the sun sets at 5:30 - 6 so we tended to go to bed early and get up early to enjoy as much of sunshine as we could. Same with the Spa. Heard great stories, but we never took advantage of it.

Next trip we are going to try and do the tour of the green house. El Dorado has an amazing green house on site where they produce a great deal of their own vegetables.

I would highly recommend El Dorado Royale. The rooms were clean, spacious and inviting. The grounds were lush with vegetation and the resort overall was very well taken care of. The food was excellent and the staff were amazing. The cold cervezas and beverages never stop. Lots to see and do for everyone.

8  Thank Matt S

Dear Guest¡¡

First we want to thank you for the time you took writing such a detailed feedback on TripAdvisor about your recent stay at our premises and your visit to Mexico. It was a great pleasure welcome you.

We are delighted to read that you spent a wonderful holiday with us and found the accommodation, staff and ambiance of the resort very pleasant. I will passed your comments to all our staff , especially the employees mentioned as there is nothing better than to be acknowledged by one of our valued guests. Your words will definitely encourage and motivate our staff.

Thank you for the compliments and recommendation about our resort, we are very sure that your comments will be a nice reference to all the future travelers who are thinking about coming to this beautiful places called Riviera Maya.

We look forward for the opportunity to serve you again soon in your Mexican home, El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma¡

Reviewed January 27, 2014

El Dorado Royale was an excellent experience. This was our first all inclusive trip and we will definitely be back when we have the chance again. The resort property is very large, but we walked nearly everywhere without any trouble at all. There are also plenty of golf cart shuttles that you can take to get around if you desire. We had a room close to the middle of the resort which was nice and convenient to everything. We were very impressed with the quality of the food at all of the restaurants and recommend the Rincon Mexicano for lunch and the Italian for dinner. If you don't want to wait for dinner, you must arrive early before 7pm or late after 9pm and you shouldn't have a problem as most of the restaurants do not take reservations. The quality of the nightly entertainment was also very good, they showed a movie early each evening followed by a live band and some sort of show. We spent a lot of time on the beach during the day and recommend you get out there early to get a good seat in a good location as it fills up very fast. All in all we were very happy with our choice and would highly recommend this resort!

If I had one complaint it was the Wi-Fi and it's availability and cost. I think that should be included in your price and available in your room easily.

3  Thank mountainman170

Dear Guest¡¡

Thank you for your nice review on TripAdvisor, I thoroughly enjoy reading your feedback and I am happy that you had a great vacation with us.

Great food, perfect location and superior service from our staff, are just a little of what we offer at the hotel. I will share your comments with all the different departments. I have the believe that there is no better reward than to receive such comments from our dear and valuable guests, it is great to know that you appreciate the efforts of our staff.

In the other hand, I apologize for the use of Wi- Fi, which is not included in the rate, no doubt that your stay with us was affected due to the price and availability of the same. With your comments, certainly we are taking seriously your feedback and we see possibilities to improve that fact.

Hoping to welcome you back once again at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is the third time staying at this resort, and it was as much fun as the first. The restaurants are all really good. Kampai seemed to be everyone's rave! You have to make sure you take advantage of all the activities and restaurants El Dorado has to offer. There are wine tastings, tequila tastings, chocolate tastings, and soooo many pool activities. This is an adult only resort and the nights get a little crazy! The Gucamayas Bar has a show every night, followed by a great dj to dance the night away! This would be a great "destination wedding" venue!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank thomas v

Dear Guest¡¡

Thank you for your lovely review and rating us with the 5 stars award on TripAdvisor, we are pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us, that you found our facilities, services very accommodating, that our staff, treat you with professionalism and kindness, Your kind words motivate all of us to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe, exceeding and fulfilling their expectations.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back in your Mexican Home at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Excellent service! Loved the swim up room. Be sure to take the morning bike tour and visit the greenhouse then catch the nightly entertainment. Favorite meal was the breakfast buffet. Don't miss it. Favorite pool was the Fuentes. Luiz and Orlando are awesome! The candlelight dinner on the beach is romantic but the beach is not ideal for swimming. Kayak instead. Plenty to drink and plenty to eat.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Anne L
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Guest¡¡

First of all, we want to thank you for sharing your experience at our premises, It has been a real pleasure to read your recent review.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding our hotel facilities and most of all, our staff performance, be sure we will address your kindly comments to them.

We are sorry that the beach did not fulfill your expectations, we are working hard in order to recover it and make from this place another paradise.

Hoping to welcome you once again at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma,

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I had my wedding in November at El Dorado Royale and can't say enough positive things about the entire experience. We had close to 100 rooms and thanks to VIP Vacations-www.vacationsbyvip.com- and Jennifer Doncecsz, Ryan, Lauren and there entire team- it was flawless. I would totally recommend them for anyone traveling not just a wedding group. We had the Majority of our guests stay at the Casitas section and those that were not there were still put near each other. I've come to understand that is a very difficult thing to have a resort do. Everyone in our group loved this property. The food was fantastic and the service was second to none! Because it is a large resort, It could have been very difficult to communicate with all of our guests but thanks to Marisol at their weddings department everything went smoothly. Throughout the whole process Marisol was wonderful to work with!
Now to the resort, I would very much advise all readers to reserve a room in the casita section. I would also remind you that this property is very long and for ladies bring comfortable shoes.
We had several people with allergies or specific food needs and this resort resort catered to every whim. For entertainment, Guacamayas was places to hang out at night! The culinary theater was also so much fun and a very unusual experience. If you have single people attending a wedding or two ladies staying in one room Make sure they get a Lower category room because all of the other rooms only have king beds.
The resort does have shuttles to Playa Del Carmen and it was awesome to do that one night.
We got to use the spa on many occasions and it is absolutely fabulous!
Thanks to our amazing travel agent we were also given a candlelight dinner for two on the beach as a gift. I can't say enough about how wonderful that was! I look forward to traveling to Mexico again and staying at the El Dorado! Thank you VIP vacations and Marisol for giving me a dream wedding!

Room Tip: Book a Casita room!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!