“What can't we do next!”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 10, 2014

My girlfriend and I spent Dec. 28 - Jan. 4 at this resort. We loved the food. Our swim up jacuzzi suite ( highly recommended) was always kept spotless by Jesus. How wonderful to have the Health bar right outside our door! Every day was spent enjoying the beach and sun. We got lucky since the weather reports had called for rain most of our trip and we got hit with a downpour on the last day only! Had a fantastic candlelight lobster dinner on the beach on New Years Night. Luckily the hot tubs in the Casitas were in close proximity so that we could take full advantage. Beach Bum Carey was our main go to for this trip. She was amazing from start to finish, answering all my questions and providing some great suggestions for what to do. BB Carey also had helped my daughter with her wedding at ED Royale two summers ago. It was great then and it was great again this time around. Friendly staff, especially my concierge, Primo. He was always there to answer any questions I had. I highly encourage that you take advantage of your concierge. That is why they are conveniently located near the rooms. Our room (106) was, in our opinion the perfect spot to be. Thank you for a relaxing, carefree week!

Room Tip: Swim ups are really cool
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Spike G
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your lovely review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us one more time and we are looking forward to welcome you back again.

Knowing that our facilities and services were up to your expectations make us feel really proud, your comments are extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue to improving our services.

Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe.

Thank you once again from your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma home and the pearl of the Caribe

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Myself and three friends stayed at El Dorado Royale the second week of November. I have stayed at about 15+ all inclusive resorts spanning 40+ trips to Mexico and the Caribbean. I like to think I have a good basis for comparison when it comes to reviewing all-inclusive resorts. I also base my rankings on cost per night, as I have higher expectations when I pay $550 per night vs $250.

I booked my trip with Mitch from TripGuy travel. Having used him many times he delivered the excellent service I have come to expect and even upgraded us to a limo for our private transfer with Lomas. Lomas as usual was on time, nice driver and got us there safely.

We arrived at the resort at around noon on Saturday November 9th and were greeted by a long line at reception. We waited in line about 20-30 minutes (it always seems longer than it really is after traveling) to find out we couldn’t get in our room. This was to be expected as check in is at 3:00. Sometimes you get lucky but we were prepared and had our swimwear in our carryons. We had reserved two rooms. One was a standard swim up and one was standard room (lowest category), we had put in a request for each room to have two beds as we are a group of same sex work friends. I asked the woman checking us in if our rooms were near each other and her reply was “we are trying”. RUH ROH….I should have read this as a bad omen. No champagne greeting, long line, and foreshadowing that there was a room problem. So far not a great first impression. We left the lobby and walked down to the seafood restaurant by the beach, changed into our swim wear and cover-ups and put our name in for a table (another wait). We eventually had a very nice lunch and were all impressed with the food.

We made our way to the main pool and spent a couple delightful hours hanging out and catching some sun (unbeknownst to us the sun was going to be a rarity during the duration of our trip). At 3:30 two of us hiked up to the front desk to get our keys (or so we thought). I won’t get into the gory details that was our check in process. The cliff notes are as follows. The swim up room was downgraded for the first night and we were placed in building 8. Our friend’s standard room was also in this building. I was told by Fernando who presented himself to me as the front desk manager that I would be compensated by being upgraded to an oceanfront swim up in building 4. “A $2500 upgrade” (it’s not a $2500 upgrade which I pointed out) His response “it’s a $2500 at resort prices”. I specifically booked the room category I booked because I wanted a swim up room in buildings 40 or 50 that connect to the main pool via lazy river and gets sun most of the day. Oceanfront swim ups just have a little waterway in front of them and get very little sun. Both rooms only had one king sized bed (which was not revealed to us until we actually got to the room and at that point we were told he would see what he could do about getting two new rooms with two beds the next day). To further the epic fail in customer service he wanted us to come back in at 5:00 to get our keys when the room would be ready. I had to talk my way into getting the keys right then (hello…you know what room it is, I promise I won’t go there until 5:00, please just give me the keys) rather than hike back to the main pool only to turn around and come back. We were given free Wi-Fi for the 5 days we were there (but don’t get me started about a resort at this price point charging for Wi-Fi). And the fact that Fernando acted like he was doing us a huge favor by doing this was further aggravation. The next day I had to leave the pool, go back up to the front desk, get keys to the new room (building 4) room 401 and do the pack up and transfer luggage thing. When the bellman brought me to my new room I was again furious. Basically if you could pick the crappiest swim up oceanfront room in the resort, this was it. It was behind the health bar (so no actual bar close, no ocean view) AND a bridge ran right alongside of it. So basically while you are sitting out on your patio (which is inset from the one next to it) people are using this bridge as a main walkway and you can pretty much reach out and touch them as they are walking by. Further crappiness, the swim up area was inset from the rest of the building so there was NO sun at any time of the day between the shading of the building, the bridge and the trees. In essence I wasted $700 on the price difference of a regular room and a swim up. I asked the bellman to call Fernando for me who actually came to the room. I told him I was done with the whole situation but was inquiring about our friends getting moved to a room with two double beds. He said he would check on it, left….and I never heard from him again. Believe it or not that is the short version as there was much more involved including me begging just to get the room I booked not the “$2500 upgrade”, then when I realized we were in rooms with a King bed to move us to Casitas (which only king beds I figured what the heck, if we were going to be in king beds any…)

So we moved on with our vacation, unfortunately all the back and forth to the front desk, time spent trying to get the room I booked, trying to get compensated for the downgrade the first night (that was so off his radar of comprehension) and the packing and moving, I basically wasted a total of 6 hours of my vacation, which was short anyway as we only had 4 full days at the resort.
With that being said there were many positives to the resort.

We found the small pool between the beach and the lobby that seemed to be a secret. It only had about 12 chairs, but its own swim up bar. The same 8 people were at that pool every day and it helped to make the large resort seem a bit more intimate. An added bonus was adjacent to it was a large palapa like structure that they used as a wedding venue, which came in handy to drag our chairs under when it started raining (which happened a lot). Service at the pool was great. The bartender would come out to us and take drink orders and would run to get stuff if he didn’t have what we asked for. They have a nice drink menu at all the bars.

We also enjoyed the champagne bar and the lobby bar for before dinner cocktails in a more upscale atmosphere. Well done on the decorating, service and variety of higher end alcohol. The main beach bar with the swings was a fun place to hang out after pool time before we went back to the room to get ready for dinner. The wait for drinks was sometimes long as it was a popular hangout but the bartenders worked their butts off.

The food was very very good. I’m not talking just good for an all-inclusive, I’m talking very good in general. I loved the no massive buffets for breakfast and lunch and the more relaxed atmosphere of the sit down ala carte for all meals. (One restaurant Cocotel has a large breakfast buffet if you choose to indulge). The longest we waited for a table for dinner was about 45 minutes. All the restaurants have a bar nearby and they give you a pager. We were never in a hurry and had no desire to see the shows so we didn’t mind having a drink and enjoying each other’s company while we waited. Food is subjective, but our favorite restaurant for lunch was the Mexican and for dinner is probably tied with Kampai and Santa Fe. Jo Jo’s for lunch was nice as well. How many all inclusive resorts offer seared ahi tuna as an appetizer for lunch? There is a pizza, sandwich place by the main pool for a quicker more casual option but you still had to sit down, wait for food and dress code applied. It would be a nice addition to have a walk up take out kind of thing but they did not allow you to take food to go. Overall the food experience as far as service, variety of options, and quality would be the thing that would lure me back to the resort.

As previously mentioned we had A LOT of rain while we were there. The resort did not handle it well both from a topography point of view and a service standpoint. The grounds could not handle the drainage of that much water. One night to get to dinner we took our shoes off and waded to the Asian restaurant on the Casitas side in our bare feet with water well up above our ankles in a downpour of rain. The golf cart service was nonexistent. We called from our room and they told us we would need to stand outside our room in the rain and flag one down. To make matters worse, while we were walking through a lake of water, an empty passenger golf cart drove by us, when we tried to flag him down he laughed and waved at us and kept driving. One day while sitting at lunch (it was raining) we timed two people standing at one of the designated golf cart stops. They waited there for 45 minutes. The golf cart stops have a countdown timer as to how long it would be until the next cart came by. The timer would start at 10 minutes, countdown to 0, no cart…reset to 10 minutes, countdown to 0, and on and on. I can’t believe they sat there that long. They apparently had more faith in the service at this resort than we did.

One other point regarding rain. Room service will not deliver when it’s raining. Not sure why because the golf carts are covered. When we asked they said it was a safety issue….huh? Sooo, if you are unlucky enough to be at the resort during less than ideal weather, and you are hungry you will need to hope there is an umbrella supplied in your room (ours didn’t and multiple calls to the concierge never produced one), be willing to take your shoes off and try not to think about all the disgusting things you might be walking through, and suck it up and go out and find food. Upside is that if you are lucky enough to be in a room that is relatively close to a restaurant that is open during the time you wish to eat (IE, its breakfast but your nearest restaurant is only open for dinner) you won’t starve.

Another fail in my mind for this resort was that room service did not deliver alcoholic beverages with the exception of mimosas for breakfast. Having stayed at many resorts, this is not unusual in the budget all inclusive category, but any other resort I have stayed at in this price range, room service drinks are a given. They will deliver bottles of wine to you if you buy them. Paying for alcohol and Wi-Fi at a resort where I am paying $500+ per night is something I can’t bring myself to do out of principle.

This resort is a wedding factory. At times the large groups got a bit annoying as they would tend to take over a bar or an area of the pool. One nice thing is the resort did not allow the pulling together of tables at the restaurants to make large tables so the atmosphere of the restaurants was not disturbed by large groups. An upside to the large wedding groups was often times they were at the wedding venues for dinner so they weren’t utilizing the restaurants which probably accounted for us not having to wait an excessive amount of time for a table despite the resort being full. Our first room in building 8 was not far from one of the wedding venues and the noise did keep us up for a while our first night.

So with the griping out of the way, I can say that I would return to the resort. I liked the beautiful grounds and the layout, I liked the multiple pools. I liked the large variety of different restaurants and lack of buffets. I loved the quality of the food. The restaurant and bar service was great (maybe front desk and golf cart people should take some lessons in customer service from the restaurant staff.) I enjoyed the beachfront massage on the Casitas side and the fact that most of the resort was geared toward ocean views when you were walking through it so it had an overall nice feel. What I would do differently is either save the money and book a standard room (which the lower price point would lower my expectations a bit) or I would book a room on the Casitas side which we ironically didn’t do to begin with because those rooms only offer King sides beds.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
8  Thank susanbratwurst
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us; We understand your experience was not exactly perfect, because of the weather and our customer service, we want to apologize for the inconveniences that you had during your stay, but you can be certain that all your comments will be taken into consideration, we are continuously improving our performance in all areas, that is our main task.

Our customers´ opinions and suggestions are really crucial in the process of improving our services, so we thank your valuable comments which point out some interesting matters, that undoubtedly help us take a step forward in terms of client´s satisfaction.

I have taken note of the issues you had and I will forward them to the respective Managers.

Your comments will be really helpful for future travelers when choosing their next destination in the Riviera Maya.

We sincerely hope to welcome you in El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma on a future occasion, so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you the service you expected and deserve.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

we travelled with thomson from gatwick and after a 3 hour delay on boxing day morning, we were off and finally arrived at the el dorado. upon getting there, you realise how big it is! despite its size, the grounds were upkept very well, even on the rainy days.

RESTAURANTS: we loved all our meals here, and didn't find a problem with portions at all if ordering a starter etc. our favourite had to be fuentes culinary theatre and our only regret was that we left it until our 2nd from last night to do it. i recommend you book it for your 1st week, because no doubt you'll want to visit again. me and my partner did the wine pairing with this, but the waiter does not pressure you to take part in this, and we saw many couples who hadn't. if you can though, i really do recommend doing it. it really enhanced the meal for us! all the other restaurants were also great, especially kampai and the italian in the casitas. we also loved jojos in the days but it would have been better if they had a different menu for the evening as we loved the beach front feel but was a bit disappointed with having to choose from the same menu. also in some of the restaurants, we noticed that there wasn't many waiters on duty, which meant the waiters that were working were extremely rushed with having to deal with so many tables and meant service was often slow. this is in no way a fault of the waiters, as they were trying their hardest to provide a good level of service. it would make more sense to put in place more waiters for some of the busier restaurants, where was often many empty tables but sometimes still had a 45 minute wait for a table. we didn't mind this at all, as we liked waiting at the bars but we did see some larger groups getting slightly annoyed when they were told they would have an hour plus wait for a table. apart from this, we loved the food here!

ROOM: we were in the older block in room 1226, but found no problem at all with the room. the only main difference is the jacuzzi was in the room rather than the bathroom which we actually quite liked. the room was large with good facilities and a mini bar that was restocked everyday. this came with 8 cans of beer, 6 cans of soft drinks and bottles of water. much more than we were expecting!! the only criticism i would have is that the time of the maid varied from day to day. sometimes the room would be clean when we got in at 4/5ish, sometimes the maid didn't come until 5.30ish. we didn't mind her coming later and us sit on the balcony for a bit, but then the turndown lady would often come around an hour, an hour and a half later when we hadn't even left for dinner yet. other nights, we didn't get turndown at all. this wasn't a major issue for us but it was nice coming in to the music from the television and the bed made up. apart from this, they were cleaned well and new towels were provided every day or every other day.

POOLS/BEACH: the pools were nice but it was often hard to get a bed from 11ish onwards, as we noticed lots of people would reserve beds at 7 before their breakfasts. this would often mean saving beds for friends, as you would normally see the same people on roughly the same beds most days. it was much easier to get the beds once people went home after new years. just ensure you get up early during the peak times. also, the beach is much nicer than what some people say on here. yes, the sandbags may not look too great, but having seen the beach on a particularly rough day and the amount of sea weed and rubbish it bought onto the beach, its hard to imagine how bad the beach would look without the sandbags! they do a great job and often attrack fish with all the coral that grows on it.

WIFI: we got wifi for 2 days but were reluctant to get it again not just because of the $11 a day price, but also because of the service. around the pools it was fine as these were obviously hotspots of some kind but in our rooms it was really tempremental. I wouldn't mind paying less for the same service, or paying the same for a much better one but as it stands, it wasn't great.

TRIPS: we only did two excursions through thompson but i would recommend both of these highly! firstly we went to coco bongo in playa, which was a great night!! and then we did the dolphin swim, which was an hour in the water with just us two, a dolphin and a trainer. wasn't expecting that level of one on one interaction, and would highly recommend it! the pictures are a little pricey though, so be prepared for that... well worth it though as they provided us with 120 pictures and a video of us doing the tricks.

overall, it was a great holiday!! i really would love to go back and hopefully the 2nd time around the 2nd week won't be a washout. didn't spoil the holiday in any way though. i would give the resort 5 stars in an instant if my minor criticisms were sorted, but you can't fault the amazing staff and service in anyway. also, the new years eve party on the beach was amazing!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Natasha G

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for sharing your experience with us; we have had a great pleasure reading your detailed review from our facilities, services and staff; it is a shame, that the weather did not help you to enjoy even more this beautiful place, unfortunately we cannot control it.

Our customers´ opinions and suggestions are very important for us, that is why we want to thank your valuable comments which point out some interesting matters that I already have taken note of them in order to forward them to the respective Managers.

We sincerely hope to welcome you back again in El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma your Mexican Home.

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We are still on holiday at this hotel and have been for 9 days. Unfortunately we have had 7 days of rain. This obviously has a bearing on the report on this hotel.
1. room: 5 rooms are very clean and maids are excellent.
2. Restaurants: very clean. Waiters excellent. Food above average but not always as described in menu.
3. Pools and grounds are immaculate especially considering the weather we have had.
I try never to give a bad report on a hotel especially if it is due to weather. . But the higher management in this hotel seems to be sadly lacking in their ability to adapt when things go wrong. There are numerous swimup bars but only a few bars to use in bad weather. . The main entertainment area is under cover but closed during the day, surely it wouldn't take a great deal of organising to take the barmen who were all wrapped in towels and have opened the entertainment area and put some music on.
I have never yet seen any higher management touring the resort and asking residents for feedback. The middle management ie restaurant managers etc are attentive but major decisions seem to be made by the hotel management.
We have stayed in room 317 and can recommend it.
So if you can guarantee the weather this hotel maybe for you. If not look elsewhere as we will be doing next year.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank taffodshireulgd
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear taffodshireulgd

Thank you for sharing your experiences, we are very sorry that the weather did not cooperate and that you experienced many days of rain. This is not the norm however mother nature can act in mysterious ways

it was a pleasure to host your holiday and we hope that you will return to experience the caribbean sunshine and the El Dorado Royale in all its glory

Best Regards
Paula Negrete
OPerations Manager

Reviewed January 9, 2014

I was just there for a wedding and during my stay the resort staff gave entrance into my room without my permission to a guest of the bride. I came back from the beach and found this person showering in my bathroom. I have never had this experience at any resort. I was the only person registered to my room and did not authorize this. I had many other problems with the resort during my stay but this is the most egregious. Management did not even take this violation seriously. The bride and groom were also very displeased with their choice to stay here. The wedding was about 60 guests. The restaurants would not allow us to reserve for a party of 6-7 for dinner. Be very careful before you stay here and especially if your planning a destination wedding here. Room cleaning came as late as 6 PM. Beautiful grounds but very isolated and confining. Serious problems with transfers back to the airport which was included but some guests had to pay for taxis because transfer company did not show. The problems go on and on. BEWARE!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank Thewinogroup
KarismaHotelsResorts, General Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experiences of your recent stay , we truly appreciate your comments and your feedback is invaluable to us. It is completely unacceptable that any guest within your party is allowed to enter your room without your knowledge or permission, this definately goes against our standards . we would like the opportunity to dicuss this directly with you , if you are willing , please contact me on the email below

we have used your comments constructively in our quest to provide the perfect vacation experience.

Best Regards

Reviewed January 8, 2014

My wife and I spent the week of December 28th through January 4th, 2014 at this resort. It was absolutely great.
The people that work at this resort are incredibly friendly and provide outstanding service. From the front desk to the landscaper everyone was very friendly and accommodating.
The food is delicious and the presentation is perfect.
The landscaping and the pool and layout were great. I can't think of anything negative about our stay. We will definitely recommend this resort to all of our friends. We look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: The 4100 series and 4200 series rooms have a good ocean view and are a good value.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alfred M

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor and for rating us with 5 stars. We are glad to hear how much you have enjoyed your stay in our premises and that our facilities and services were up to your expectations.

Your comments are extremely important for us, as they motivate us to continue improving our services.

We look forward to welcome you back again for another memorable holiday at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican home.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We are owners and book into Ruby rooms. They are perfect. You feel sort of like a king and queen. We tried a Saphire and felt it was just a hotel room BUT the property is gorgeous and the restaurants are really good for an all inclusive. It's a big property (over a mile from end to end) and I love walking it and walking off all the food. We are not drinkers but there is plenty of drink. The entertainment at night is excellent. I think this is an expensive vacation but, if you can afford it, it's worth the money. I'd like to go every year!

Room Tip: There is a big difference between swim up casitas and just a hotel room. I would stay in the best r...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your visit and for sharing your recent review on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and were so well looked after by the team here at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma. Your comments will be helpful for future visitors in the Riviera Maya.

We look forward to welcoming you again pretty soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!