“Honeymoon - fantastic!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Woodstock, Georgia
“Honeymoon - fantastic!”
Reviewed December 23, 2013

Honeymoon here in 2005. Was amazing and would love to go back once Mexico is less dangerous. Once of the nicest places I have stayed from every aspect. Food was amazing at every restaurant for all inclusive. Fun fun place with nicest staff you could ever meet.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert H
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and were so well looked after by the team here at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma.

We will make sure our bar team see your kind comments. They will feel so glad.

We hope you recover the trust in Mexico, and give us the chance to welcome you one more time, in this Paradise.

Sincerely yours,

gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,475)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 22, 2013

This was my first time to Mexico. The people are fabulous and the service is out of this world. Nothing is too much. Anyone that has written a bad review wants more than perfection.

I would recommend this to anyone from aged 18-80!

Room Tip: Swim up pool room!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Haziet14
Dear Guest & Friend,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor, rating us with the 5 stars¡¡; that means that our facilities and services were up to your expectations.

We are so glad to know that you had such a good impression from México and how much you have enjoyed your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma,

Now we are looking forward to welcome you once again at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican home.

Sincerely yours,

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Stayed Nov. 28 – Dec. 8, 2013

We just returned from the El Dorado for our 4th visit and I have to say that is was the best experience yet. They just continue to surprise me every time I visit and it keeps getting better. I should start off by saying that for every one bad review, there is numerous good ones. In the years I have been going I have seen the type of people that bring a negative review to this resort and I wish they never return. In my opinion, these people are idiots and could not be pleased in any resort setting. I have met numerous travelers from across the world and the vast majority say that this resort is the nicest they have visited. This is the main reason we go back every year. I must also say that I have stayed at a few other resorts in the Riviera Maya and they do not even come close to the service one will receive at the El Dorado. That being said there are a number of key points I must address which were above and beyond my expectations.

Overall it is Excellent. I have to give a very heartfelt thank you to Julio Cesar Cortes who is the manager of Casitas restaurants (Italian, Kampai, and Santa Fe). You will find him at the resort from 7am to 10pm if not longer. He always takes the time to come by the tables and check to make sure all is in order.

The Italian (casitas or Villas) - There is a slight difference between the two but both are exceptional. Only a few differences in the menu. I prefer the Villas main course for their Lamb Chops. However, The Casitas has Osso Buco which is amazing. I mean come on, where else can you get these type of dishes at other resorts? I mostly forgo the second course due to the appetizers, soups and pasta being so delicious. I would recommend the beef carpaccio, lobster bisque, lobster lasagna or gnocchi. The main courses are excellent. I like the lamb but the filet is exceptional as well and believe it or not the chicken is delicious. I must mention Jaime and Giovanni Altamirando from D’Italia Casitas. They are exceptional workers and always took very good care of us. I went to this restaurant 3 times during our stay and they always remembered who I was and what I wanted.

The Asian (Kampai) - The sushi is amazing and what more can I say. Very fresh fish and exceptional service. The rest of the menu is also exceptional but I go for the sushi. The crispy chicken is my favorite from their main course selection. What I do like about Kampai (and honestly I should not mention it because I consider it the secret of the resort) is their breakfast. I told a few people while I was there and then they also went every day. The Cocotal buffet is good if you want a variety but I always find what I want at the Kampai. Crispy bacon, delicious eggs, toast, Juice, fruit, etc. It may not always be on the menu but they will do what they can to accommodate. It really is a hidden jewel of the resort. The salmon bagel is perfect as well as the poached eggs with hollandaise if you are into that type of breakfast. The Stuffed French toast is also great. La Isla and Rincon Mexicano are also good for breakfast but Kampai is the best in my opinion. I also should mention that they have a small atmosphere, quite, and the best servers on the resort. Edoardo Hernendez Zita I consider a dear friend and would be very depressed if he was not there every morning. He goes out of his way to make sure the customers are happy. Always there with an “Excellente” or a “How may I serve you”. You just do not find servers like that in the United States (or other places in the world). The other server I love is Leo who also works the breakfast shift. I will mention him again in the review of lunch at Casitas 31.

Santa Fe – I was one of the lucky ones to be able to get a reservation at this restaurant. It is new this year and I have to say it was exceptional. Different than the rest for sure. I was also lucky enough to get to sit at the chefs table. I highly recommend it if you have the chance. I think it only requires a purchase of a bottle of wine and some collaboration with your concierge. The chefs table gets you the full menu (not that this matters because it is all included). The steak was great, the fish awesome, but my favorite was the short ribs. They just opened but I could not see any problems as one might expect. Overall, I just can’t put into words this place or the quality of the food. Just think 6-7 course fine dining and what that would cost in any other place.

The other restaurants are also exceptional but honestly, I really only eat at the Italian and Asian. I have been to the rest in years past and have nothing against the food but just like these other two so much. I might mention the La Isla for the mussels. Also Jo-Jo’s for lunch. This year they had Whole Red Snapper caught fresh from the night before on ice and you just pick the one you want and how to cook (grilled or fried). Hard to beat for lunch. I like the Casitas 31 lunch spot. Freshly prepared wraps, sandwiches, salads, etc. The fresh tuna salad (not the mayo type but rather freshly seared and placed on top) was delicious. Also, Leo is just the best waiter. He worked this section for lunch and does an exceptional job. Especially since he is normally the only one there. He can handle the crowd and never misses a beat. Plus, he is just the nicest guy out there.

Room service – No problems as some indicate. If you order at midnight when the bars close or 4-5 pm then of course it is going to take a little time. However, one night it took 30 minutes and another 15 minutes so not a problem in my book.

BARS!!!!
This in my opinion is what sets this resort far and beyond all others. What I love are the bartenders. They move around so look for these guys. Julio Cesar Rodriguez Barreintos (Cesar) is a close friend and one of the best bartenders I have ever met. I would not come to this resort without his smiling face there to greet me with a “Hola Amigo” and Tequila/Sangrita. He is 13 years experienced and just phenomenal in his work. Jovany Rosas Flores is just as exceptional and also a close friend. Pedro Arellanes has also worked there for many years and one of the best. Juan May Poot as well is a great guy and great at mixing drinks and shots. These guys are what keep me coming back and if not for them, I do not know what I would do. I have to mention some new friends as well. Raul Reyes and Petronilo Tun Uc from the Guacamayas (swing bar) are new additions to my circle of friends and I look forward to spending more time with them in the coming years.
The quality of liquor is second to none and there are some new additions this year that had me smiling (and inebriated). Don Julio Anejo can now be found at most bars as well as Grey Goose and Belvidere. These are >$50 USD bottles in most cases. There are still all the favorites like Jack, Stoli, Kettle one, Bombay, Tanqueray, Bacardi Anejo, Johnny Walker (red and Black), just to name a few. And for the first year you can now get Jagermeister at most of the bars. Basically if it is a top shelf bottle, they have it. Aside from ridiculous items like 30 year old scotch (they do have 12 year) you will not find a better selection anywhere I have seen at any resort in the world. This is all inclusive mind you so be careful. Quality of drinks are exceptional. Never shorted on any liquor and if you feel you have been, just ask and you will receive more. Although I would not recommend it. Trust in your bartenders and they will do you just fine. Also, no hangovers with such a top shelf selection.

I will not spend a lot of time on the resort grounds and such since it is the food and drink that keep me coming back. It is very clean, well kept, and modern. They have almost completely updated all of the rooms in the past couple of years as well as adding some new ones. They have also added some new pools and bars in the villas side of the resort. I had a 40 in flat screen in my room. The bed was comfortable. I had no problems with the odor or humidity of the room. The AC/Heat units take some figuring out but if you just ask someone, they will be more than happy to show you. I feel that this is the cause for most complaints about the rooms. These are fairly advanced systems which can control the humidity as well as temperature. Mini fridge was always stocked. Room was cleaned daily. No problems with theft or anything. I left my iPhone there to charge every day with no problems. In fact, one day I took money out of the safe and forgot to take it with me when I left. It was still there upon my return. The Public bathrooms are the best I have seen. Cleaned very frequently (2 times an hour would be my guess). They have added a lot of new trees and plants. It is just really paradise and there is not much more to say.

Other Items
The carts proved no problem to me. If you really want a ride, just call and ask for it. They have stops all around the resort so once you figure out the system it is really quite nice. I prefer to walk most places but sometimes after dinner I will take a ride. There are plenty of shuttles if you just learn how to navigate them. I have read some complaints in this area before and can see where some guests may get their ideas but I have no problem. Basically, it takes a little time to get this large resort figured out but when you do it is amazing. Beach beds and chairs are numerous. I have never seen any problems getting a chair on the beach, pool, casita, etc. This is nice if you do not want to wake up at 6 am and put out a towel. If it is busy, just walk a few 100 feet and there you go, another chair. The shows are just fine. If you want a Vegas show then go to Vegas. Compared to other resorts, I feel these are just as equivalent. The circus and magic shows were my favorite with the fire show and casino night taking a close second. I have read some complaints but feel they are fleeting at best. Yes it can be a little busy at this time in the Guacamayas but this year they pushed the time of the shows from 8:30 to 9:30 to give more people the chance to eat and make it to the show so I see no justification for the complaints. The beach does have those bags but I like to snorkel (free also) around them. They are starting to gather some nice marine life to see. There are some rocky spots but the beach is something like 2 miles long. There are plenty of good spots as well. When you go to some other resort that only had 100 m of beach you have to realize that this one has 10 times that much or more so if you compare their best 100 m to other resorts, the beaches are more than acceptable. The beach butlers/waiters are just fine as well considering the mass number of people they attend to. In the casitas side I never see any problems (nor the villas side for that matter). Remember, you are there to relax and the staff is trained to try to let you do that. If you want them to return quickly then just tell them. I feel that the complaints from guests about the lack of beach servers or speediness of these guys is misrepresented. They try not to bother you unless you require their service. So, I have no complaint. If you want your waiter to come around every five minutes to ask you for a drink I understand but the rest of us do not so please stop complaining. In the end if you do require this type of service, just tell them and you will get it.

My family are Exotic Members of the resort but I do not feel like we get any real special treatment. Just a faster check in and an exceptional discount. I would highly recommend taking the tour. You get to see the other places on the resort (presidential suites). It is also not high pressure sales. I had 5 couples go this year and no one complained about the tour. 2 hours max and could be done in an hour if you do not buy. Plus, you get free diner on the beach, massages, and/or upgrades just for going. If you do decide to get into this membership, you will not regret it. Our family has been members for ~10 years and have never had any problems with the program. I can’t tell you how many people say no going into the presentations but come out members. I think I recommended 3 sales this year alone. Again, not a requirement for a perfect time but if you want to save some money (or stay in an upgraded suite) this is the way to go. Some complain about VIP treatment the members get but trust me folks, it’s not the membership but rather how you treat the workers that goes a long ways. It is the fact I have been going for 4 years that may appear to get me VIP treatment. Plus I do tip. Not a lot but enough to make the workers happy. They do this for a living and it really helps them and their families if you tip. Again, I meet people who do not tip at all and I cannot tell that they get any lesser service. I just do it to support the locals and their families and it really goes a long ways in making their lives more enjoyable.

In summary, I would like to thank the resort and staff for making this one unforgettable trip. Aside from the people I have mentioned, I would like again to further thank Julio Cesar Cortes (the restaurant manager) for all he did for us and others in our party while we were there. Finally, I need to give the biggest thanks to Olga Medina (Casitas Manager). If it was not for her and her excellent organization of the staff, this place would definitely suffer. She is more than a fair and impartial supervisor and it shows throughout the staff. I assure anyone reading this if there is any problem, she is the one who can correct it and does so with kindness and professionalism. Thank you Olga. I must also thank Francisco Jorge the manager on the villas side. I have never met him personally but he is doing a fine job with the resort and the staff. I am looking forward to my next visit and can’t wait to see what new surprises they will have in store. After 4 trips to this resort, it just keeps getting better. Keep up all the good work and continue to make this the best resort in the Riviera Maya. I will see you next year.

Sincerely (and with great thanks),
Dan

Room Tip: I normally stay on the villas side and the rooms are excellent. They are slightly lower in cost tha...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Dan E
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Guest & Friend,

It is indeed a pleasure to receive such a nice review highlighting our natural background, facilities, services and most of all, our staff, the professionalism and kindness they provide to each guest, it is really wonderful to know that our efforts are being recognize by our precious guest.

We have been honored because you have been so satisfied with our resort, service and the special staff, your experience makes us feel really proud.

We would all be very pleased to have you back for another memorable vacation.

Please, do not hesitate of contacting me next time you decide to visit this beautiful place, The Riviera Maya and of course, El Dorado Casitas Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your Mexican Home.

Best regards,

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We returned from the El Dorado Royale on 6th December after a weeks stay for my daughters 18th birthday. We chose this place as we'd heard it is coeliac friendly and my daughter has coeliac desease, we were not dissapointed. From the glass of champagne on arrival to watching the sun come up on the last morning. Every person working here is so friendly but a special thanks to Marary ( our maid ) and to Maurice ( our concierge ). The restaurants Jo Jo's ( for the mahi mahi fish) La Isa, cocotal, Rincon Mexicano, the Pizzeria but our fave was definately Fuentes ( it's like being part of a cooking programme AMAZING). The bars are a plenty but the one next to Jo Jo's has swings at the end so you can sip a cocktail and sway whilst looking out af the fantastic veiw. The pools are great the scenery is amazing the rooms are immaculate the restaurants and bars are out of this world. Every reastaurant you go to your asked if anyone has allergies, my daughters food was cooked fresh everytime and it was outstanding, no cross contamination at all. I can honestly say this was the best holiday we've had and we will be returning next year. Everthing at the El Dorado Royale, the great staff, the places to eat and drink, the scenery, the beach, the chocolate martini in the martini bar were made that much better because this is an adult only resort and you certainly can tell the difference, everybody is so relaxed. I have to mention the fact that not only is this an amazing place they are also doing their part in helping the environment with artificial reefs and their own greenhouse. Thank you for the birthday cake for my daughter and for making it an 18th birthday to remember.

Room Tip: They're all good rooms so no need to be choosy
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank pollypissypants
Dear Guest and Friend,

Thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us, we want to thank you for allowing us being part of this special celebration for your daughter, It is particularly pleasing to hear our team be referred with lovely comments, recognizing the effort they do for all our guest.

We will ensure your feedback is passed on to them, that will make them feel proud and really happy of being named in such a nice review.

Your kind words motivate all the Managers and all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe and they deserve.

Thank you once again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

West Hartford, Connecticut

Date of Vacation: Saturday November 9 - Friday November 15

First time out of the U.S. and first time at an all inclusive

Room: Building 43, Room 4316, 2nd floor, includes personal concierge

Weather: Rainy Season! Monsoon rain in the mornings and at night, one or two afternoon showers, one full day of rain. Once it cleared, sunny, clear skies and 85 degrees. The rain only ruined one day for us. The rest of the days was tolerable. Would have preferred a different time frame, but our travel agent did not advise that it was rainy season. We still had the time of our lives.

The drink that will ensure you have fun: Ask the bartender for " Diablo" and keep them coming. It is a frozen drink that will blow your mind. It has vodka, gin, dark rum, coconut cream, mango juice and grenadine - it is not strong even though it sounds it and is not sweet. Its just the right amount of everything, I promise. You won't regret giving it a try!

The grounds of the resort are absolutely gorgeous. Driving into the resort is very hidden, private, secretive and jungle feeling (which I preferred) as opposed to many other resorts that are very grand and open upon driving in. The grounds are so lush with green trees, plants, bushes and so many tropical flowers. We were dropped of at the lobby where you just leave you bags on the stairs for the bell boys to handle. From the point you arrive, you do not have to even think for yourself. We arrived around 12pm. Checkin is not until 3pm so we were advised to use the resort as we pleased and come back at check-in time. Since we arrived so early, there was not a champagne greeting but when we returned just before 3pm, we saw the champagne being set up for guests arriving. The inside of the lobby is completely marble with a large fountain in the center. There are a couple of gift shops on one side and Martini Bar is located here. There are also people to assist you with buying and scheduling excursions. Do not get suckered into taking the tour for the free stuff, they are just trying to get you into a time share type deal and it would waste precious vacation time. Once we our room was ready (at 3:20pm) a bell boy took our bags onto a golf cart and drove us to our room. The room was amazing. As we walked it the bathroom was immediately to the left with a shower room, toilet room, double vanity and huge soaker jacuzzi. Above the jacuzzi was a panel of glass looking directly into the rest of the room. We had a king size bed with wet bar, tv, couch, coffee table, dining table and sliding glass doors out on to the balcony which had lounge chairs, a table and hammock. (Every room can have a hammock so if you don't see one, just call and ask!) I laid on it every day and every night. After we settled in and changed, we walked the entire resort along the front side. It seems huge but once you walk it, it is not that bad. Our room was cleaned everyday, refreshed with towels. The personal concierge asks you if you want to set up a specific time for the room to be cleaned each day. We set it up for 11am but there was never anyone there on time. It was always hours later. We did have some towel art though which was really nice. Unfortunately, I had my phone charger taken from the room and I brought travel size Garnier shampoo and conditioner which was also taken.
You really need to put everything away and out of sight. I stuffed everything I could into the safe and I never had anything missing from there, the closet or any drawers. Anything left over that I did not need to take home I left for them.
One huge disappointment is the beach. If you are a beach person, do not expect to spend much time laying on the beach or frolicking in the water. I mean the sand is not what you would expect, its not flat, once you step into the water, you are stepping on coral rock and then there is the "whales" extremely large sand bags which are trying to restore the reefs - and do not get me wrong, I totally understand and support that but what an eye sore. Then...the waves...they were huge, it could be a time of year/weather thing but for November thats the case. The water was murky and dirty..so much seaweed (which makes sense given all the rain) but when you are expecting blue and teal warm caribbean water, this is a huge let down. On a positive note, with the crazy amount of pools and swim up bars there are, I did not find myself thinking about it too much. The two main pools are La Isla and Fuentes. La Isla is the chill lay back quiet pool right next to La Isla Restaurant. Fuentes pool is the activities pool that is always playing music, hosting games and is right next to K-Team which is the activities "hut". ENTERTAINMENT TEAM: LUIZ, ORLANDO, CESAR!!! THEY ARE AMAZING AND WILL MAKE YOU'RE EXPERIENCE SO MEMORABLE. From dancing lessons, pool games, beach volleyball, bike tours, cooking classes and nightly entertainment - they are truly the life of the resort and amazing at their jobs.
You will see lots of cats around the resort that are very friendly and looking to share your meal! There are also so many iguanas around the pool/swim up areas. There are a few life size chess games, cabana beds EVERYWHERE - along the beach, around the pools, in random grassy areas.
At the very far end of the resort in Juan Gabriel's home. He is a famous mexican artist who is partial owner to the resort. If he is home, there will be a bright green golf cart, I believe. There is construction going on at this end of the resort that is suppose to be done by early in the new year. This is a family resort by Karisma. The rules will still be strict as children will not be allowed on the El Dorado Royale side but adults will be allowed.
The resort also has a nesting area for the sea turtles. This area is blocked off by netting to keep the nests/babies and turtles safe. This past season 8,000 sea turtles were released. Very impressive! The bike tour will take you here, if not just ask!
Behind the Santa Fe Grill and D'Italia Casitas is a swampy pond area where crocs will be found, but don't worry, all behind a fence! Someone can also take you here and whoever is allowed to be on that side of the fence, they will just clap loudly a few times and the crocs will come swimming. Pretty cool.
No matter what pool you are at, where you are on the beach, or every just a random cabana or hammock, there are servers taking your drink orders and serving you. Pretty amazing.
There are golf carts driving around everywhere, so watch out! They also have a route they are on so you can hop on and tell them where you are going for a drop off. Just make sure you are on one going in the direction you wish to go. Some people did not understand that and would get upset. So if they tell you no its just because they have to stick to their route so don't give them a hard time!
Another unique feature about the resort is that they have a gigantic greenhouse where the fruits and vegetables are harvested for the restaurants each day. You can also get tours of the greenhouse. You always know at El Dorado you are getting the freshest and tastiest of ingredients.

Guacamayas Theatre: Every night starts off with a different singer/band. You will recognize every song. I almost wish they would sing a bit more cultural for a little more Mexican experience. After about 30minutes to an hour the nightly show/entertainment will begin. Fire shows, Authentic mexican performers, magic show (which is horrendous so don't bother), El Dorado Idol (which is all guest participants, just sign up and karaoke), Star show (impersonators). There is a bar connected to the theatre and it has swings all around it which I really enjoyed. They have these at some of the bars too. Otherwise there are couches and chairs.
I received a complimentary 10 minute massage - they were trying to promote the sky massages- it was 10 minutes of heaven so do not hesitate to get a massage here.

The Restaurants: There is a different restaurant schedule every week. The meals they serve and times/days they are open each week differ so make sure you check the schedule which should be provided to you upon check-in. Some restaurants such at Fuentes (cooking show) require reservations days ahead of time so make sure you find out what those restaurants are and book right away. You will eat at every restaurant while you are here.
Cocotal - An amazing breakfast buffet of anything you can imagine. omlets made to order after you choose your toppings, cereal bar, smoothie bar, mimosa and screwdriver bar, pancakes, potatoes, waffles, French toast, fruit toppings, pastry bar, meat bar, yogurt bar. Everything was delicious. Although Cocotal was offering dinner, we did not attend.
Rincon - We attended this restaurant for every meal. It is located behind the Fuentes pool and restaurant. As far a mexican food, this would be the place to be to get as close as you can. It was one of my favorites.
JoJos - right on the beach, we ate here for lunch and dinner. It was pretty good.
La Isla - I was not a fan of this restaurant. I would personally say its the worst on the resort. If I ever came back, I would avoid it all together.
Room Service: Very good food for room service, but the will forget something on your order. We ordered breakfast twice on days we were up really early for excursions and they forget multiple things and had to come back multiple times.
Kampai - We had lunch here, upscale asian cuisine which was good but I really was not in the mood for it while I was here.
Fuentes Restaurant Cooking Show - six course meal - no menu, the six meals are pre-planned but they are more than happy to accommodate diet restrictions, food allergies, eating preferences. You watch the chef prepare each dish and as each dish is almost complete it is served.
Santa Fe - Also a six course meal, pre-planned for the most part, there is a menu for a few of the courses. This was a very good and filling meal.
D'Italia - This would have to be my second favorite restaurant. It was so delicious. Of course I'm Italian and I'm a sucker for italian food. This restaurant was more upscale.
Pizzeria next to La Isla Pool - just quick snacks, nothing great. We ordered some nachos and the cheese sauce definitely came out of a can because it was nasty.
Overall, the food was good. I had never been to an all inclusive before so I cannot compare a typical all inclusive with the gourmet all inclusive. All I can say is do not let "gourmet" fool you. If your idea of "gourmet" is like mine, I think NYC high end restaurants...take it down a few notches. The idea is a few steps up from typical all inclusive. The presentation is gourmet style and the food is very good (with the exception of La Isla, like I mentioned). Dessert was amazing no matter where you went.

Packing: Make sure men bring a collared shirt for every evening. The restaurants have a dress code to keep the "Gourmet inclusive" presentation. Tank tops, swim suits, beach sandals are never permitted and they will ask you to go change before seating you. It happened to my fiance.
Women are expected to wear dresses or nicer outfits...easier for a female than a male for attire. Look for the dress code on the website to help you prepare for vacation here.

Tips: We left $15 dollars for our maid for the week, $20 for the man who checked us in, $2 for breakfast and lunch and not more than $5 for any given meal, for the buffets we didn't really tip at all, $1 per bag for the bell boy, and $3 for the room service delivery. Anytime we just felt like we were taken care of well or just enjoyed someone we would leave a tip. I though I would include this because I was very unsure of what to do going into this but you really just do it on your gut feelings and most people are doing about the same. I assume on the casitas side its a bit higher because they have butlers.

Excursions: I will do formal reviews on these which you can look for but on our trip we went to Maroma (which also has an El Dorado property) and went ATVing, speedboating and swam with dolphins. What an amazing life experience. These activities took from 8am to 2pm including travel and pickup/drop off time. We tipped $10 on each activity. Another day, we did the Coba excursion which was from 7am to 6pm including travel time. It consisted of driving into a Mayan village in the jungle, zip lining across a lake and pond, canoeing across a lake, hiking in the jungle, a Mayan ceremony, repelling into cenotes, enjoying authentic Mayan cuisine in the village, cooked and served by the Mayan women in the village. For this trip we tipped $50. Again, see my review on these for more details.

Please do not hesitate to contact me to discuss the resort or excursions in further detail. I was truly in paradise during my vacation, completely cut off from the rest of "my world" and did not want to leave.

Room Tip: Tip, tip, tip upon arrival! We received quite the upgrade. Rooms straight ahead from the lobby are...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Chelsey E
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you very much for your detailed review from your recent stay in El dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma, we appreciate your honest opinions of your experience at our hotel. I am sorry if there were aspects that did not fulfill your expectations. I have read through your review and have shared this information and comments with the different departments involved.

As you know we are dedicated to our guests and to ensure they have a wonderful experience with us.

I am pretty sure that your review will be extremely helpful to other future visitors.

If you give us the pleasure of hosting you in the near future, please, do not hesitate of contacting us before your arrival. We are at your service.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is the second time I have stayed here. Really beautiful property with an all-inclusive reality but not at all an all-inclusive vibe. Fabulous! Very high end and we'll worth it. Gorgeous beach, many dining options and excellent entertainment. Fine dining at an all inclusive price.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the water. Rooms close to lobby are a trek to the beach and hubbub with no...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Michele R
Dear Guest From Toronto¡¡¡

We have been honored with your visit and for having chosen our resort for these special trip one more time and the fact that you show so satisfied with your experience makes us feel really proud of our site and staff.

Your lovely review constitutes a great motivation for us to keep improving our team work and personalizing our services.

It will be great to welcome you back in the near future for another memorable vacation. We are at your service.

Lewiston NY
Reviewed December 16, 2013

My wife and I just got back from a week at the El Dorado royale. We stayed from the 7th of December and returned on the 14th. From the very start Jan and I were impressed with well maintained grounds. The staff greeted us with a smile and a glass of Champaign. We arrived at 11:30 am and we were told our room would not be ready until 3 pm, but we were welcome to use the resort. Getting to your suitcase is not a problem so we changed into our summer gear. Flying from Toronto we really were not dressed for the heat!
When our room was ready a bell hop loaded us up in a golf cart and gave us a tour of the place before bringing us to our room. We had opted for a pool side view centrally located in the resort. We stayed in the 600 section that close to the lobby, spa, bar, pool, workout room,beach and several dinning areas.
Our room was large on the second floor, king size bed, small couch, table and two chairs, large shower, and a nice porch. The resort is about a mile in length which we loved, went for a morning and evening walk almost every day! The place is a bit spread out, but there are large 8 seating golf carts cruising all over the place to give you a ride.
The beach is made of white sand but a bit rough. There are plenty of beach chairs and small huts to get you out of the sun.
The Food at every place we ate Was good to very good depending where you ate. Out favorite restaurants were ,Fuentes (theater restaurant) , Santa Fe Grill, Kampai (Japanese's). For daytime Breakfast we liked Kampai, and lunch "Health bar" or Jo Jo'
The dress code during the day is very relaxed, men all you need is a tee shirt, shorts and sandals are fine. For the ladies a sun dress, or shorts and a cover top with sandals. Evening is a bit more restricted so I recommend you read up on there dress codes.
The bars are all stocked with a wide variety of liquor and tap or can beer. If you hang at the bar next to Jo Jo's say Hi to Elio (hope that's how you spell it!) alway greets you with a smile!
Just a little warning about the concierge, great people always willing to help in any way they can. The only down fall is the try to get you to go a tour of the resort and tell you how to become a club member, and it's "no cost". Well I had read other reviews warning of this so I did not get suckered in, Remember nothing is free in Mexico! What they are trying to do is sell you a vacation club membership, and they start out for around $4000.00 dollars. The only plus is if you go they will set you up for a free massage or a romantic candle light dinner on the beach. They both sell for around $ 125.00 +
I guess I will end this by giving special thanks to all the staff, everyone of you were fantastic!

An extra, extra thank you goes out to;

Sammy our sever @ Jo Jo's and concota

Angle our concierge in our room section

Martian our server at Kampai

Elio at the bar by Jo Jo's

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank arockin55
Dear Guest and Friend¡¡

Thank you for your lovely and detailed review, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is particularly pleasing for us to hear that our team be referred as Great and that you will have nice memories from our staff, we will ensure your feedback is passed on to them.

Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe and they deserved.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards from your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma home and the pearl of the Caribe.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 213 in Playa del Carmen

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!