“Heavenly Holiday”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We spent one week at Casitas with swim up suite last week of November 2013.
From the first moment we arrived we felt like we entered a wonderful place.

The staff were very friendly and smiling and very helpful. We had wonderful butlers Moses and Claudio . They were very helpful and attentive at all times. They were always available and informative and helped us with everything we needed and more.

The other staff everywhere were also very pleasant and welcoming. The beach butler named Jay
was great.
The resort is very beautiful and full of palm trees , very nice beach especially when the water becomes calm and clear.
There are about 10 places to eat on the premises with huge variety and gourmet options .
We did sample most except for the theater restaurant with chef cooking presentation because of lack of time but it Is an interesting concept. We enjoyed all of them and food was delicious. The health bar at the beach was a very nice idea.
The entertainment was very nice with Dorado Idol and wonderful Magic Show and Circus show and traditional Mexican dancing. The resort has plenty of bars and many of them are swim up in Casitas which is great.
To have a swim up own pool is fantastic, it was the first for us, we loved it.
The suite was Amazing , huge , modern and clean and very comfortable with luxurious decor and shower outside and inside, jacuzzi,etc.
The premises of the resort were very clean and well up kept,also very romantic and relaxing and staying in Casitas was very comfortable and we had a special experience.
We would highly recommend it!!!

The entire resort

Room Tip: Recommend swim up rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Dear Guest,

It feels very rewarding to hear that our services have gone beyond our clients expectations.

We will extend your compliments to our staff and most particularly, to your butlers.

Comments like yours constitute some good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ satisfaction.

It will be a great pleasure to welcome you once again for another memorable vacation.

Best regards,

Reviewed December 5, 2013

Hotel complex and standard of accommodation was excellent, the staff were very friendly and eager to please. The rooms and hotel complex were always clean and tidy.The food was great but be aware the food is gourmet and the portions are small, so just order more if your hungry, If you feel like stopping in your room on the evening then order room service and again the food and service was great and at no extra cost unlike other hotels. Several restaurants to choose from to cater for all tastes, try them all and find your favorites. We found the martini bar next to the lobby was a good starting place then on to the restaurant for an evening meal, ending with a couple of drinks watching the entertainment.

Plenty of swimming pools with swim up bars

The spa massage was very relaxing but a little pricey, you get a discount on arrival but the discount is wiped out by the service charge. Entertainment was very good which was a surprise as most other holiday entertainment is normally pants...lol

Don't forget your exit tax from Mexico currently stands at $65 per person so put it in your passport and forget about it and enjoy the rest of your stay.

Would definitely return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5118 second floor, the quieter end of the complex but there is a pool and swim up...
2  Thank dragon831

Dear Guest.

We have had a great pleasure reading your detailed review. Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff.

Your comments are a very good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ full satisfaction.

Looking forward to receive you, once again, at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma for another memorable vacation,

Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights early November & I wanted to give it a 5 star but it lacked just enough to give it a 4.

Positives:
The spa was very relaxing (pricy but they all are in vacation spots) and worth every penny.
Lots of restaurants & bars
The food in the restaurants were very good & room service menu was very abundant.
Entertainment is good & every night
Lots of smaller pools and some of the villas have swim up access to their shared pool
Romantic atmosphere - lots of walkways throughout the grounds
Gazebos for weddings
Very large rooms, most with 1 king bed and they are beautifully decorated
Rooms are very clean & they house umbrella for rainy days
Golf carts always around when needed to get places
Bathroom has separate jacuzzi tub and stand up shower with great water pressure

Negatives:
Very large property so one could get lost very easily
Lighting on the grounds is very dimly lit
If you are out very late and nowhere close to your room the carts stop running at about 11pm and it could easily take 45 minutes to get to your room - not good for elderly
Room lighting is very dim & the air conditioning leaks because of the humidity - I fell one morning because of the puddle on the floor that leaked and the floors are made of marble (very slick)
There is a step at the entrance of every room - not good for wheelchairs
Most of the beach is rocky not the smooth sand I was looking for

The only reason I gave this property a 4 is because it is very dangerous in the room, this is likely a problem at most properties in the Riviera Maya because buildings are only 3 levels high thus the air conditioning works harder than in a highrise building.
I did, however enjoy my stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Tracy C
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma for your recent stay.

We truly regret your negative experience of your stay and we are very sorry to read, that we were not able fulfill your expectations.

Our hotel is committed to providing first class services, facilities and ambiance, so that our guests’ requirements are taken care of, so therefore we extend our sincerest apologies if you were disappointed with certain aspects of our resort. Please be sure that all your observations have been noted and will be passed along to the respective Department Managers.

We hope you can give us another opportunity in the future to restore your confidence on our business, if that is the case, please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Having previously visited the same resort in Jan 2012 we re-booked 12 months after returning with the hope of seeking the same 8 start service that made this the most memorable trip of our lifetime. First Choice were our travel agents 22 months ago and this time opted for Thompson (which crazily worked out cheaper when comparing against First Choice for the same holiday).

My partner and I decided on 11 nights for this visit as we wouldn't have to spend the extra time getting to know the resort and surrounding area. This, in hindsight was a mistake as all we wanted to do was stay the other 3 nights.

The journey was to be on the new Boeing 787 Dreamliner, although it seemed unlikely after all the preceding battery issues affecting the Japanese fleet. We previously upgraded on the Boeing 767 to premium which was worth the £250 per person; however the Dreamliner is not worth £395 per person for the upgrade.....especially on the return leg where the Thompson crew seemed disinterested in 'their' passengers and more interested in getting home. I am not going to dwell on this but if you feel you can drink £300+ worth each I would opt for it.....and a point to note, the earlier you check in, the later your bags come off so those that pay less go home earlier.

Gatwick No.1 lounge.....don't bother. It's not peaceful and not 'exclusive'.

No delays got us to Mexico an hour quicker than previously.....but thanks to some inconsiderate passengers we were left waiting on the coach at the airport for nearly an hour. My guess is that they got a taxi without letting anyone know. The coach left 2.5 hours after we landed!!!!

We finally got to the resort for the final hours of sunshine....and got a room in the furthest corner of the resort (block 51). Having sent an email to Karisma Hotels 2 months prior we requested a ground floor suite...no reply received and on mentioning it to reception they informed us that it wasn't 'their' problem. We told Thompson (UK) of our repeat visit and they didn't seem interested, however, those in the resort make a huge deal of 'repeaters' so this should be hammered home at the travel agents....NOW we know.

Our concierge office was closed for the first 3-4 days which meant searching for someone to help with no curtain, broken jacuzzi and a faulty light. They eventually opened the office which meant we could continually report issues that we found....some got fixed quicker than others. Our concierge wasn't very welcoming and on occasion, short in response. This was unlike anything we have experienced in Mexico as usually they can't do enough for you. He was reported to the head concierge and was replaced after 8 days of our holiday.

Weather could have been better!! But rock all I can do about that....thats the risk of going in November.

Enough moaning.......

Suite was spectacular; food was exceptional; staff would do anything for you. Would we go again?........yes, but will travel elsewhere first.

PS. Don't go to Coco Bongos twice....it's the same show.

1  Thank Owen T

Dear Guest.

Thank you for your review , detailing your experiences from your stay with us, firstly please accept our apologies for the areas that we fell short of expectations. I never like to hear that any guest has been disappointed with their stay and I have noted the aspects of your stay that you felt impacted your stay , making your stay less than perfect.

Your feedback has been carefully considered and I will be sure to take the necessary action to ensure that the El Dorado Royale a Spa Resort by Karisma maintains one of the most high standards in quality and services within the Riviera Maya and Mexico

If you decide give us the opportunity and to restore your confidence in the future, if that is the cases please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you might need.

Sincerely yours..

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I visited this beautiful hotel with my girlfriend in early September, The grounds, staff and food are absolutely amazing. The weather was not the best, only two days sun out of fourteen, but I suppose that's what you get if you go in hurricane season. We did have a slight shock one afternoon when a five foot saltwater crocodile decided to swim out of the sea like Ursula Andress on to the beach. The staff were very swift to get rid of him. The only downside that was the personal concierge, the constant push to try and get you to visit the hotels own version of timeshare. It was everyday. It got to the point where we were trying to avoid walking past the office for fear of being pestered. Other than that the holiday was one of the best. The Italian and Asian restaurants are the top ones to go to.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
KarismaHotelsResorts, Director General at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Guest:

We are very sorry to read about the bad weather you had during your vacations, because you could not enjoy completely the beautiful sun we have in the Caribbean Sea.

At the same time, we are very thankful that you recognize the efforts we are making providing first class services by the staff and facilities.

We are working very hard in the concierge area in order to avoid other guests get the same impression regarding the Exotic Travelers.

Our customers´ opinions and suggestions are really crucial in the process of improving our performance so we thank your valuable comments which undoubtedly help us take a step forward in terms of client´s satisfaction.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

What an amazing holiday!! We stayed here Nov. 22 - 29, 2013. The most amazing time ever. We had a georgeous swim up # 4408 corner suite accross from Las Fuentes. The staff was amazing and always had a smile on their faces with their friendly "Hola". The staff would go out of their way to make your stay memorable. The shows were great and Orlando (The K Entertainment team) was a real riot.....we loved him! Thank you Christopher (the DJ) for teaching me to Salsa on my birthday....I had a wonderful time!! There are soo many we would love to thank but cannot remember everybody's name. Innocenzio (sorry if I misspelt your name) we really enjoyed your special dinner at La Isla. Emmanuel (the Gym guy) was great working out with you in the mornings. Our concierge Carlos and his two buddys were a big help in assisting us with some special requests......thanks guys!! Overall, food and drinks were delicioso!! I would highly recomment this resort to any couple looking for a great holiday.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms are worth it.

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed and touching review of your recent experience at our premises. It feels really good to acknowledge, through your words, that all our efforts to achieve our guests’ satisfaction have been worth it.

I am sure your comments will be a very nice motivation for our staff to keep working with enthusiasm for future travelers to try our destination.

Looking forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My second trip to this resort was in July after visiting them for New Year's two years ago. The improvements they have made during that time are noticeable, especially where the entertainment is concerned. I didn't spend much tiime at the entertainment bar this time but I di notice that the band played better music, the shows were more varied...and was that shisha I saw?

My holiday began with prompt pickup from the airport - in a limo, no less! No waiting at all. There were beers provided in the limo but I don't drink beer so I wish there was maybe some champagne or wine. But I was in a limo so who cares? The champagne came upon arrival at the resort followed by being led to our room, the Two-Bedroom Presidential Suite on the Royale side. After settling in we went to dinner at Kampai. Not only is it my favorite restaurant at the resort but, in my opinion, the best restaurant for the first night. It gets you in the hang of the small portion sizes and theres lots of fun appetizers to try. My personal favorites are the summer rolls, spring rolls and Vulcano sushi. Our waiter, who's name I unfortunately forget, was amazing! He kept cracking jokes about how it was his grandmother making our food and trying to get us to drink more.

The rest of my week was spectacular. It only rained one day, when we were scheduled to go into Cancun shopping, which worked out perfectly. I have no complaints about any of the restaurants. We went to Fuentes twice, once for the Big Islands and once for a special Jackson Family Wines gala. Fuentes is such a great experience because you have no say in your food. For an occasional picky eater like myself, it's daring and rewarding.

Activities: Besides our trip into Cancun we didn't really do any activities. Last time we rode camels, went on ATV's and speedboats. This time it was a lot more relaxing, though I did find myself wishing we had done maybe some of the on-resort activities. I spent almost every day painting pottery. It is so relaxing. I burn quite easily and it's hard for me to go outside for extended periods of time so it's nice to go under the 'hut' and feel the cool breeze and outdoor air without worrying about sunscreen and heatstroke. I literally spent hours there.

Food: I've already talked about Fuentes and Kampai. For breakfast we mostly ate at Cocotal, which I prefer to La Isla. Buffet breakfasts are seriously the way to go, and perfect if you aren't really a breakfast person to begin with. Efrain is the greatest. He is such a sweetheart. I like apple juice with breakfast and whenever he saw me he'd go get some (it's not as readily available as coffee or orange juice). One time we weren't sat in his section and he still came over and said hi (and asked if I wanted some apple juice!). I love D'Italia, the ravioli is TO DIE FOR. Italia Casitas was pretty good. I've never tried JoJo's or Rincon so I can't comment. We usually skipped lunch or ate at the pizza place but one day we went to Kampai for lunch. Get the shrimp gyozas. They are so good. We must have seemed to enjoy them because on our last day they delivered two trays of them to our room!

Room: Not many reviews discuss the Presidential Suite, which is to be expected. I don't know anything besides that, but in case you were debating it, I'll give you a run down. This place is massive. MASSIVE. You can fit 6 people in, and that's only by using the beds. There's probably enough room for another six. You've got your own pool, beach cabana, shaded cabana. Jacuzzis inside and outside. Kitchen with a fridge stocked with beers and sodas and ICE CREAM! A bar with loads of liquors and some wine. Nice spacious sitting room. TV's in every room. 3 bathrooms, 2 showers. You're really spoiled. You also are assigned private butlers, one in the morning, one in the afternoon/evening. You only share them with the other two Presidentials. They will take you around on your own private golf cart, though we mostly walked. I don't really know how to 'use' butler service so we were pretty low-key. But Tania and Claudio were amazing. They would bring us drinks without asking, leave presents in our room after dinner (everything from chocolates to shots to filled warm jacuzzis). Our last day they were so sweet. They brought in fruits and meats and cheeses and champagne. And after dinner they had candles and flowers leading us out to the 'backyard' where there was a candlelit dessert waiting for us!

Overall it was a phenomenal experience. I'm always sad to leave but I'll be back in 3 weeks! CAN'T WAIT!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest and Friend.

Thank you for your lovely review and we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to your return.

It's particularly pleasing to hear that our team be referred as Great and we will ensure your feedback is passed on to them. This is the motivation that encourage us to keep moving forward, doing our best for our guests´.

Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe, and of course, as you deserve it.

Thank you once again for such a lovely comment, which will be very helpful for future guest and we will look forward to welcome you back soon.

Best regards from El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, home and The Pearl of The Caribe.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
3 mi away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!