El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
The Bliss Resort(Playa del Carmen)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
11,138 results
All reviewsmartini barhealth barswim up roomsanta fesand bagscasita sectionk teamla isla poolfuentes poolour honeymoonroom serviceoutdoor showerswing bargreenhouse tourpersonal conciergewine pairingculinary theatre
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We just got back from El Dorado Royale for our one year anniversary trip. Here is our review.

Pros:
- Nice, large beach so never have to fight for chairs. There is also a section of the beach (right of JoJos) where you can get in which we did not experience at other Mexico resorts.

- We stayed in the Junior Jacuzzi suite and we really liked it. The rooms are very nice, spacious, clean and the service was excellent (cleaning, room service, refills on mini-fridge). We walked down to the Casitas which a lot of people mention are worth the $$ and although they look wonderful that side of the resort was way to quiet for us. It is a rather large resort and most of the bars / entertainment that we enjoyed were on the Villas side. Although there are two very good restaurants on the Casita side (Kampai and the Italian restaurant)

-Food was great. Favorite places were Rincon for lunch, Las Fuentes (we went on Mexican night which i highly recommend) and the Italian place in the Casitas.

-The concierge made our anniversary special by having our room decorated with champagne and also made us a reservation at the Italian restaurant where they gave us a great table and decorated our dessert for our anniversary

-The pools were very clean and nice and the service was great.

-We got a couples massage and all I can say is AMAZING!

- We did Yoga on the beach in the morning and it was one of the most tranquil and relaxing experiences of my life. The instructor was wonderful.

-The nightly entertainment was great. I have been to a lot of all inclusives and they rank in the top 2 for entertainment. The other nice thing was every night they had a movie playing and had some games which was a nice option.

-Although there were many weddings taking place you would never know it. They do a very good job of keeping the weddings away from all of the hustle.

Potential Cons / Recommendations:
-Italian restaurant in the Villas was OK. It did not compare to the Casitas Italian restaurant in terms of options and overall environment so if you are craving Italian i would recommend Casitas.

-We cannot really complain about this bc it is all for a good purpose as the resort is environmentally conscious, but the water temperature was very difficult to maintain (either scalding or too cold) and I do not really understand the point of the Jacuzzis bc the water pressure is so low that it took about 30-45 minutes to fill it up and then it was just too hot to get in. Again, the resort is environmentally conscious which I 100% appreciate so we personally understood it and did not let it bother us but sharing to be informative.

-When we went to the concierge they tried to pressure us into doing a 1 1/2 - 2 hour tour of the place to become a member (?). This was the only thing that annoyed me bc I felt a lot of pressure. We got through to him that we were not interested but it took about 5 times of rejecting him to get an ok. I realize he us just doing his job but the whole point of vacation is to relax and feeling pressured into doing something you do not want to do is kind of frustrating.

-The resort is very large. We like to walk so it was cool with us, but this may be a potential con for others. They have little shuttles that come around often so for those who do not want to walk there is that option.

Overall i would return in a heart beat. It was a wonderful time.

Room Tip: We were in the 40s villas which i felt was a great location. Nice view and close to the entertainment, pools, beach.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ckolata
KarismaHotelsResorts, Gerente at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Dear Valued Anniversary Guest,

in the name of the hotel manager Patric D. Loeser and his team we apprecaite that you have chosen our hotel as your anniversary destination.
Also thank you for providing such a detailed review of your recent visit to our resort.

All your suggestions will be taken in consideration to make our premises even better
Rest assured that all your comments have been shared with our team and that measures will be taken to refresh all colleagues on our standards of luxury service.

Thanks once again and we hope to see you again

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The first thing I want to say is, although this is an all-inclusive resort, the employees don't work for free. TIP YOUR SERVERS JUST AS YOU WOULD AT HOME!!!! These guys don't make much to begin with and are always working their rumps off, are genuinely nice, and deserve to be treated with respect. You don't have to pay for anything, and you would tip these same employees if you were back home, so why would you not tip here? It is one of my biggest pet peeves every time I visit. We had a couple "buy" us a round of shots...about 10 in all...at a bar and they left not a cent for the bartender. It was disgusting. If you don't mind looking like a disgusting idiot, by all means, don't tip, but that's not a look I'd want to be associated with.

That said, My husband and I were just here in October with my brother and his wife. This was my third stay at this resort and it's the only place I'll stay when I visit Riviera Maya. I've stayed in both a regular room and the Casitas, and both were gorgeous. I would recommend being careful where you stay when booking a regular room though, because the room we stayed in was right next to the swing bar and the music started at 9pm and went until 2-3am, keeping me up most of the night. I had to sleep with my iPod in and it was awful...we were unable to switch rooms because the resort was booked.

The Casitas are by far the best bet if you can spring for it; they're actually not unreasonably priced for what you get. I've stayed in a regular room in Maui that cost more than the Casitas. My only complaint is that they're on the other side of the resort and the golf cart service can be unreliable, which makes for a lot of walking at times. If you're on the second floor, not only do you have a lot of walking to do to get to restaurants and such, but you have two flights of crazy stairs to climb as well.

The food is pretty good, but nothing to write home about. Jo-Jo's food is just ok, the Asian place is AMAZING, and the Italian place is amazing as well. The Italian place is always ice-cold though, so be sure to bring a shawl or other cover up. We always had breakfast at the place by the lobby. Room service was not good at all. The drink service on the beach is crazy good, especially if you show your appreciation and tip them.

My biggest complaint about this resort is that two years ago when we were here, there was a dress code at the fancier restaurants, but that was it. This time, there was a resort-wide dress code, even at Jo-Jo's, which is on the beach and has always been a really laid back place. You could get a bite to eat after getting off the plane with no problem.
We were unaware of this before we left and so the men didn't pack really dressy clothes. My brother had to purchase a $60 shirt from the gift shop, but my husband had a nice (collar-less) dress shirt that we thought would be fine. He wore that shirt with some black dress slacks and we headed off to Jo-Jo's. We checked in with the hostess, who said there was a 30 minute wait, so we told her we'd be at the bar. 30 minutes later she comes to get us from the bar, seats us, and hands us our menus. Then, and only then, she informed my husband that he wasn't dressed properly and made a big deal about it in front of the packed restaurant. The couple next to us said they were treated the same way and had been waiting 30 minutes to get their drink order taken. The couple behind us said they were also treated the same way and had to go back to their room on the other side of the resort to get a proper shirt, which he put on to get it and then took off after they were seated (he had a t-shirt on underneath). We were livid. We weren't upset that there was a dress code, but that this lady knew exactly how my husband was dressed not only when we checked in, but when she came to get us at the bar. She was incredibly rude from the get-go, and this was just the cherry on top. We immediately got up and left, I took her name (after she tried to prevent me from seeing her name tag) and we went to speak with a manager. The manager immediately settled the situation and we were able to get dinner at the Italian place that was booked full, but it was a dark spot on an otherwise bright vacation.

Just be warned that there is a resort-wide dress code and make sure your man brings collared shirts.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear friends from Prior Lake, Minnesota

on behalf of the hotel manager Patric D. Loeser and his team we would like to appreciate that you have chosen the third time our premises El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma fpr your holiday destination.

We appreciate your very important feedback; it helps us to improve our standards. We are aware of the importance of listening to the voice of our customers; after all it is them who run our business

We will be honored to welcome you back again and shows you our improvements. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further assistances

Warmest regards,

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Beautiful hotel. Amazing staff and food was to a very high standard at all of the restaurants. Great beach location and lovely pools too. Would definitely recommend it, ignore the few bad reviews I don't know how anyone could not find this resort impeccably clean, varied activities and good and the best service I've experienced.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Mzybcdh

Dear travelling judge,

We have had a great pleasure reading your detailed review.
Thank you so much for all the kind words addressed to our facilities, services and, most of all, our staff.

Your comments are a very good motivation for us to keep working to achieve our guests’ full satisfaction.

Looking forward to receive you, once again, at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma for another memorable vacation,

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We visited El Dorado Royale because my husband's nephew had planned to have his wedding there. When we first arrived I wasn't sure I would ever get to like it. However, the setting is beautiful and the staff is just amazing. They are all friendly and all work hard to provide excellent service. We had never before been to an all-inclusive resort, and really didn't know what to expect. Our experience there reminded us of being on a cruise ship. The service here compared very favorably to excellent cruise ship service. The food was excellent. They have a nice variety available in the various restaurants. If you do only one thing there, go to Las Fuentes restaurant, the culinary theater. We went there twice, once for the Big Island show and once for the Mexican themed dinner. The food there was spectacularly good. They offer a wine package (at an extra charge), which includes a wine for each of the 5 courses in the dinner. We chose to skip that because we weren't up to drinking 5 glasses of wine, especially since most of them were whites and we prefer red wines. Our room was very nice - just an 'ordinary' room. It was clean and comfortable. I'm still not sure I like the semi-opaque glass doors to the toilet and shower, especially the former, but I did pretty much get used to those. All the rooms have a jetted tub for two (can't review that because we didn't use it). There were two nights when for reasons unknown we didn't get turn-down service in the evening, but that was a minor glitch in an otherwise excellent experience. Another nice feature is their concierge service. This make it easy to get information and services you need. The week we were there, the ocean was quite rough and they had red warning flags up. The beach is not pretty like some, but it is pleasant and has some tide pools, which we enjoyed. For us the only negative about the beach is the amount of trash that washed up on it. On our last day there we did the tour to see the suites available for their vacation club members. It's not cheap to buy into the vacation club, but given the fact that we can get good discounts on any kind of travel we might want to do, we may eventually decide to join it. There was no pressure to join, and it is definitely NOT a time share. I was surprised by how much I ended up liking this resort. We are giving serious consideration to a return visit at some point in the future. Would definitely, enthusiastically recommend this place. Note that this is an adults only resort.

Room Tip: Here the type of room to choose depends on how much you want to spend and what features you want. Some have swim-up access, which could be fun if you like to spend a lot of time in the water.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear guest and friend,

Thank you for your lovely review and we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to returning again.

It's particularly pleasing to hear our team be referred to as Amazing and we will ensure your feedback is passed on to them.

Your kind words motivate all our staff to work every day better in order to serve our guest as you describe.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards from your El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma home and the pearl of the Caribe

Reviewed November 6, 2013

This resort on the ocean is a tropical paradise. The staff are the most helpful, friendly people I have ever encountered on a vacation. The food is delicious with 9 restaurants to choose from.
We did not stay in a casita but in building eleven and we had a beautiful view of the Palm Trees.
I cannot wait to go back next year!! You will not be at all disappointed if you stay here!
We had such a wonderful, relaxing, tropical, beautiful vacation. It exceeded our expectations!
Thank you El Dorado Royale and all your wonderful staff!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear valued guests from Chicago, Illinois,

on behalf of the hotel manager Patric d. Loeser and his team, Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor.

We are glad to learn how much you have enjoyed your stay at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma and that our facilities and service were exceeding your expectations and that our staff are the most helpful, friendly people you have ever encountered on a vacation

Your comments are extremely important to us, as they motivate us to continue to improve our services.

We look forward to welcome you back at El Dorado Royale, a Spa Resort by Karisma, your tropical Paradise.

Kind regards,