“You have found paradise!”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
uk
“You have found paradise!”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

We are seriously picky and this hotel and staff are amazing with the wow factor! I have been all over the world in various 4 and 5* hotels and this is the best holiday we have ever had! From the greeting at reception to the golf cart drivers who take your luggage to your room - 3 floors up and won't let you touch your bags!

Rooms spacious, 2 double beds, 40" flat screen tv with 50 odd channels, free mini bar, balcony with hammock and chairs. Massive bathroom, seperate wc, walk in shower and jacuzzi that will fit 2 if not more. It was all very clean, plenty of bottled water. Free room service was a novel idea and the concerige are great.

If you're going down to the Castis restaurants at night, call your concerige and they will bring the golf carts up to your room to take you down. We stayed in block in 11 by reception and it takes about 20 mins to walk all the way down to the end of Castis. After seeing both hotel complexes, the majority of restaurants, bars, activities are down the royale end and when you walk down to Castis there wasn't much to do or many customers so I definatley wouldn't upgrade to Casits.

Resort again v.clean, staff always present and willing to help and v.polite. Beach beautiful and very safe - we went kayaking, parasailing $65pp and jet ski $50 per jet. Get up early before 8 to reserve your cabana with a roof, if not you won't get much shade during the day. You get the beach towels daily from the huts where they sell the jet ski trips from. A great way to start the day is the Yoga facing the beach - it is something you will never forget!

Food is cordon bleu and if it's not how you want it they will tailor make it to your request. I didn't see any difference in service between tipping and not. The pizzeria is great for vegetarians and plenty of non pizza options. Health food bar was good as well and Kampai the asian restaurant was excellent - you need to try the tempura ice-cream!

Greenhouse tour with Luiz very interesting and you get to taste the produce. Don't worry if the weather's not great, as soon as it gets bad it's all hands on deck and the entertainment team come out with loads of things to do.

Room Tip: room 1125 great location - balcony wise you just look at trees but we were never out there!
3 Thank Oshel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,514)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Stayed 5days 4night as part of a destination wedding guest so we got the cheapest room class. Room was great, had a garden view. From the moment we arrived we were treated wery well. We were nervous since it was hurricane season but overall weather was good....extremely muggy (my hair felt damp the whole time hanging outdoors) but that definitely was not a dealbreaker. Be sure to meet with your concierge the day of arrival if you can (they will leave a message on your room phone) we missed out on some things that are only arranged through your assigned concierge but we still were able to take advantage of some of what he had to offer. If you can, stay when its full moon because on a clear night sitting out on the beach in a cabanna is absolutely one of the most relaxing things....but even when it rained a half day it was relaxing sitting on our room balcony. We would do it again but maybe at a different time of the year.

• Stayed September 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Having saved and saved to have a honeymoon of a lifetime we were sorely disappointed. Unfortunately my husband got the flu and as we were stuck in the room we realised there was black mould all over the ceiling, we informed Thomson via their rep and it wasn't followed. We reported to reception and it wasn't followed up. We eventually were moved to a 'premium' room which had a better hair dryer etc but had separate beds and the swim up part of the suite didn't actually lead to a swimming pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Yo_Bedford
KarismaHotelsResorts, Manager at El Dorado Royale, by Karisma, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review of your stay at the El Dorado Royale , it was an honor to host your honeymoon . It is dissappointing to hear that your the room was not up to the standards that we strive to achieve. I have discussed your comments with the operations team within the hotel , epsecially our Front office manager. The majority of our rooms have recently been refurbished , all with a king size bed or 2 doubles and we have extremely high standards of accomodations. I am currently investigating your comment concerning the quality of the room received.

It is sad to know that despite upgrading your room to the highest room category within the El Dorado Royale .We sincerely hope we have an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Best Regards

Patric Loeser
Hotel Manager
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband & I stayed at EDR Sept 18-25 2013. While the resort was beautiful it just wasn't what we really hoped for in our vacation this year. We previously stayed at EDSS in 2010 and I think if we go back to a Karisma brand resort we will stick with EDSS. Here are some high and lowlights of the trip.

Let's get the bad out of the way. First EDR is HUGE. lol I had stayed at this resort back in 2007 before they expanded and I really preferred it before all the additions. I kind of think if they want to add more rooms they should just add a completely different resort.

Room service was a lowlight for me. The food was good but one thing that was odd to me was they wouldn't deliver mixed beverages to our room, in fact I even had to use some persuasion to have two cans of Coke brought along with our food as we'd drank what was in the mini-fridge. I don't know if that's SOP but most other resorts do deliver all types of drinks without hesitation and when you want to have a lazy day in your room it's nice to still be able to enjoy a glass of wine with your meal. I don't know if anyone else had this experience or not but it was just sort of off putting to me.

Another food related snafu was a night when we arrived at D'Italia (the one by the lobby). There were no other couples waiting up front or outside but we were told there was a waiting list. This was around 8:30pm and there were seriously only about 5 couples in the entire restaurant. So seeing as how we were told the only restaurant that required reservations was Fuentes, unless there was a HUGE party waiting in the wings I'm not sure why we couldn't be accommodated. We just said never mind and headed to another restaurant.

Activities are non-existent. They have them or at least they post them but they rarely happened on time. My husband and I specifically wanted to play beach volleyball which was scheduled at 11am & 4pm. We missed the 11am time so waited on the beach for the 4:00 game.....we left at 4:20 and the game still hadn't started and there was no one in sight to even start the game. Another example of this was a day when we played pool volleyball. There were Salsa dancing "lessons" scheduled for 5pm. Myself and a few other couples were interested in it but by 5:30 they still hadn't started. Of course you don't wear a watch too often at the pool so we were surprised to hear they weren't going to do them. This happened with other activities such as Zumba, Spinning class etc. There is an activities crew but we only saw them once and while they were very friendly but they were ineffective.

So enough of the mediocre. The food at this resort is delicious with El Rincon (for dinner AND lunch), Kampai & Fuentes being our favorites. The spareribs at Jojos were also delicious.

The spa at this resort is seriously phenomenal. Lucy & Daniela were our massage therapists and this was probably one of the best massages I've ever had at a resort. Lucy worked out kinks I didn't even know I had. Certainly worth every penny.

All in all we met some great couples and fun hanging out with them but had it not been for that I'd say we would have been bored silly. I think we'd have been better suited with a swim up room at this property as it seemed to have more of the social atmosphere we craved. Well, live & learn.

Room Tip: Don't miss out on Fuentes & El Rincon is certainly a good bet for lunch or dinner.
1 Thank LucaDo996
Firstly I would like to thank you for your detailed review of your experiences at the El Dorado Royale however It is extremely disheartening to hear that your stay with us was certainly not at the 4 Diamond level we constantly strive to provide. It is our goal to go above and beyond to ensure our guest’s satisfaction during every aspect of their stay and it’s very disappointing to know that we did not meet that goal for you. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the service and quality irregularities you encountered as this is certainly not indicative of the high quality and service you should expect when visiting the El Dorado Royale. It is my hope that we will have an opportunity to host your holidays in the future so we can ensure that you experience the WOW factor at El Dorado Royale .

Best Regards

Patric Loeser
Hotel Manager
gm@eldoradoroyale.com.mx
Lovendegem, Belgium
Reviewed October 7, 2013

So, we've been at EDR for 9 days (returned this weekend) and it didn't go as we thought. First of all we arrived at the hotel after an 13 hour trip and apparently our room wasn't ready yet. At that point it was already 4p.m. and normally we should be able to check in from 3 p.m. We just had to wait, and wait and wait... Nobody informed us about what happened. Eventually one bellboy saw us waiting and got into action. We finally arrived at our room at 5 p.m.

Here we immediately saw that there was no lock on our safety deposit box (no explanantion at the front desk...). I called reception and they promised they would bring us a lock and key immediately. But the following morning: still nothing. So had to go to the reception myself. No apology what so ever.

Then we were called that we had to go to our concierge: were sent to the wrong one (Ceci, who actually was really kind) and finally arrived with Fernando. Ceci had already explained us everything but said that Fernando had a welcoming gift for us. But once we got there, he only looked confused... Waist of time!

We did however receive a small piece of paper under our door that we would get 'a free gift' because of the celebration of their 'loyalty-package'. Googled it: about time-sharing. So not interested in this on my holiday. But they were persistent! They shuffed the same paper under my door for 4 days in a row.

Other staff tried to bother you all the time: do you want to book a spa treatment? Do you want to book an excursion? I don't mind being asked once or twice, but five times on the same day?? Come on! If want to book something, I will book it. If I say no, it is no!

For towels: also for this no one explained us were we could get these, so we followed the small map we were given, but couldn't really figure it out. So we asked a superior staff member who was on the premises and he assured us that there was no towel-center (it was on the map!!) and if we did not have towels in our room. We pointed out that we were looking for the blue towels like all people were using by the pool and beach and he said that we could get this from the beachbutlers... He clearly did not know what he was doing! We asked some other tourist and they pointed us directly towards the towel center, which should clearly not be there if we had to believe this staff member.

The food was ok, but we had better at other 5-star hotels. And they didn't brag about 'the gourmet experience'. It was ok, nothing more. Some staff was friendly, but we also had some very rude staff in the restaurants. Mostly after we had decided not to have a bottle of wine which we had to pay extra for. From that point on some staffmembers just lost all interest. Was really rude!

The worst thing however was the communication! One day we had to leave at 6 a.m. for a trip to Sian Ka'an, but we noticed we couldn't get breakfast before 6 a.m. anywhere. We called roomservice: told us it was not possible. Called the reception: they didn't understand us.. We went to the reception to ask what was possible and they tried to sell us a lunchbox for 15 dollar per person. But we didn't need lunch because we would get that with our trip. We justed wanted some simple breakfast. After some calling form the reception back and forth with roomservice, which seemed to take forever, the reception assured us that we could call roomservice the following morning around 5 a.m. and they would make sure we would get breakfast. The next morning we tried this, but I got the rudest man ever from roomservice on the phone! He just barked at me that we could not order roomservice at such an early hour! I was baffled and left for the reception in anger. There was someone who just kept saying that he didn't know of the situation in stead of helping us. At the end me and my husband both received an apple... That was our breakfast! Oh, and the promise that the reception would make note to their superior who would contact us later on. Which, of course, didn't happen... That was the most frustrating part actually: they never apologized for anything. In their mind everything is excellent...

So it was not all bad: the rooms were fine, housekeeping (Margarita) was really good, the pools were ok, foord was ok, but overall not really a five star accomodation. Is looks that way, but they're not up to the game. We will return to Mexico, but not to this hotel.

1 Thank LaurinaCipriani
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My husband and I are just back from honeymooning in the casitas royal were were there for 2wks and what an amazing 2wks it was. The resort is immaculate! Rooms, pools, walkways We met a lot of really nice people who were on holiday/honeymoon/anniversary etc and also the fabulous bar staff/beach butlers Juan and Pablo who attended to our every need wether it was by our swim up suite or by the ocean. Jose also helped us organise some water sports like jet skiing and snorkeling which was unbelievable. We visited the kampai restaurant for breakfast and dinner a few times, Angelica, Humberto and Edwardo were spot on with the service from the minute we arrived they made us feel as if we were the only customers in the restaurant all u guys and girls made our honeymoon that extra special. We would definitely recommend this especially the all inclusive in the Casitas swim up suit, alot of people we were speaking to told us it was either there 3rd, 4th or 5th time back to the resort as nothing else can beat it!!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank arlenefr2013
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our holiday brief was a special location to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary . Our local thomsons rep recommended staying in the Casitas which are beautiful thatched bungalows located around a pool with a swim up bar. The rooms are luxurious with a jacuzzi and outside shower.The food was excellent and we enjoyed Kampai and the Italian at the Cassitas best of all (excellent steaks)If you are celebrating a special event take along proof such as wedding certificate as they require this. Do ask your concierge what is included in your package as this differs between tour operators and we booked an expensive massage only to find out from another guest that this was included anyway. We enjoyed a meal on the beach, special breakfast in the room and a massage each. The Cassita section is more expensive than the hotel but worth it for the extra luxury such as better sunbeds and smaller private pools. The all inclusive drinks are premium brands and the cocktail list is extensive. Try the Bellini bar over the Italian at the Cassitas for a quiter drink or the lively Martini bar by main reception. Its best to book your choice of restaurant the day before to ensure you get the time you want etc. The bicyle trip is fun and fills an hour in the morning if the weather isn't too good. Sadly we were unlucky and had rain at some point everyday . Weddings had to be moved inside too so if you really don't want to chance it go out of the rainy season. We would also advise a private taxi to the airport ( 500 passos)

Room Tip: The detached Cassitas are better ask for one with a view of the sea. The steps to the higher floor C...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,575 reviews

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!