“A little piece of paradise....”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
River Falls, WI
Reviewed April 9, 2004

We just got back from the El Dorado Royale, and I must say, the reviews didn't do it justice, what a wonderful, friendly, and beautiful resort!
We've stayed in the Riviera Maya area before, but this is the cleanest resort by far! The grounds are spotless, as are the rooms and resaurants...The staff are very accomodating and helpful, please ask Pedro (one of the Bellman) to explain his philosophy on marraige, he had us in stitches! Also Jorge at Jo Jo's beach restaurant was wonderful, and too many others to mention. This is a place to really feel pampered. I thoroughly agree with the other reviews that this is NOT a place to party till dawn, but then I think most of the resorts along the coast aren't as party themed as the places in Cancun....it's a personal choice. The rooms are awsome, we loved the double jacuzzi in the room, with an open patio door you could relax in the tub and enjoy the ocean view and breezes...we did not stay in a casita, but in the first building next to them, the view was breath taking..here's a quick overview on subjects previously brought up, and our experiences. First, the dinner reservation system. We took care of that with our travel agent making reservations ahead of time on the internet, had all our nights taken care of with the times we wanted. On our last day, a couple we had met told us that they were informed that dinner reservations would no longer be required, they were trying out a new system, I think quite afew people were upset...we didn't see any of the restaurants full when we were dining, always 3 or 4 empty tables, didn't quite understand that. So that should be better in the future!
Food was excellent, the presentation very appealing. Try the tarimisu at the Italian restaurant, delicious! There is a smell behind buildings 2 and 3, it smells like sewer, but you can not smell anything on the balcony or front of the buildings. Pedro told us it was due to a "tree" that emitted the odor, since the jungle is right behind the buildings, it could be possibe. Be firm with the time share people, all it took was a "no, we're not interested" and they left us alone the whole trip!
The beach is not the best we've seen, but very swimmable and you can snorkle right near the pier, actually there are fish right in the swimming areal of the beach, they circle your legs! The breakers aren't particularly pretty (cement I think) but they do serve the purpose, very windy there and there are lots of breakers. I gave this resort an excellent score, but I do have one complaint that I think the resort should change the system on. If you didn't get up at the crack of dawn and scurry down to the beach and pool, you could forget about getting a lounger. They were all "marked" with towels or shoes or whatnot by 9 a.m. The thing that bothered me was some of these people never showed up for the rest of the day!!!!!!! What usually happened is they stayed at the beach till 11 or 12, then left for the rest of the day, and left there towels there, giving others the impression that the chair was occupied. We saw these same people at the large pool in the afternoon.
People who didn't "catch on" or were new to the system had to lay their towels on the beach. A very good indicatior how many people left their towels to go elsewhere was the fact there would be only 6-10 people in the water, and all the chairs were marked!!!! I do think something could be worked out to make chairs available for those who want to truly use them......that's really my only complaint, and it's not really with the resort, but with the rudeness of some of the guests. I would highly recommend this resort for people who want to enjoy the beauty of Mexico, escape from the real world, and take life easy for afew days, the attention and pampering is wonderful. Also be on the lookout for the 'resident peacock", actully has adopted one of the balconies on one of the buildings as his nightly resting place, you can see him on the grounds and perched on the balcony at sunset!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

DALLAS, TX
Reviewed April 7, 2004

We absolutely loved the El Dorado Royale. We'd read some bad reviews but don't pay attention to those because we found the place to be perfect! We even saw someone famous who was staying there as well! The staff is overly courteous and the food is just excellent! The entire atmosphere is peaceful and serene. If you be sure to sign up for all of our dinner reservations right when you get there, you should have no problem! I would go back in a heartbeat!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 7, 2004

My wife and I have traveled extensively. We both agree that our week at the EL Dorado Royale was one of our most relaxing and enjoyable experiences. The service is top-rate throughout the resort and the food at all of the restaurants on the property is excellent. If you are looking for a quiet place to forget about the challenges in the workplace, consider this adults only resort.

• Stayed: March 2004
2  Thank franksZ4353ZC
Springfield, MO
Reviewed April 7, 2004

My husband and I are also going to EDR in May, and I have really enjoyed reading the recent reviews. I wish that there was a forum to post responses (or questions) on TripAdvisor but alas, there isn't. It seems after criticism of a recent review, I too couldn't stay quiet. I have found ALL of the reviews extremely helpful and informative.
Realizing that everyone is entitled to their own opionion and own experience...some things I have found to be more relevent to us than others...but have enjoyed hearing about everyone's trip. I love to have a more upscale dining/travel experience and my dear husband would be just as happy to "schlepp" to meals and spend his days on vacation in the sun reading a book. So even though we travel together sometimes we are looking for different things in a vacation. Hopefully, we find both! I believe that the folks from Ham Lake gave a very honest, personal view of their experience and I too hope that we can meet people like them who enjoyed their trip overall. I didn't mean to get up on my soapbox, but I just wanted to thank everyone who has taken the time to write a review...it is very much appreciated...by me, at least.
Just my humble opionion....... Jules

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 6, 2004

We stayed at the El Dorado Royale from March 27 through April 3rd and loved it.

The grounds are beautiful. The food was excellent for an all-inclusive - particularly the breakfasts. I could not get enough of the eggs with mole sauce, and mimosas for breakfast! We liked the Mexican restaurant the best for dinner.

Staff are all incredibly friendly and went out of there way to be helpful.

We stayed in an OceanFront Junior Suite right next to the casitas, which I thought was the perfect location as we were only steps from the beach. I do wish however we'd had an upstairs room so we could have kept our curtains open. Unfortunately we had no privacy if we did, so if we were in the room it was dark. But the room was very nice and the housekeepers did a great job. I think my only complaint about the room was that the linens weren't very nice - sheets were scratchy, which isn't a good thing when you are sunburned! But we always had an endless supply of bottled water, beer in our fridge, etc. I loved the tile floors and the big jacuzzi tub.

I thought making dinner reservations would be a problem, but it wasn't.
We made them all the day we checked in and had reservations for 7:30 or 8 every night. Maybe we didn't have any trouble because we checked in very early on Saturday. Don' t know, but it wasn't an issue for us.

I agree with others that I wish that for lunch there was a buffet near the beach, or more variety at the snack bar. Only choices were mini pizzas, burgers (no sides) or hot dogs. I didn't like having to take an hour each day to sit down for lunch (and clean up). Even thought the food was really good...no complaints there. So that's the only negative I had regarding restaurants. There is a breakfast buffet in the main building if you are in a hurry in the morning, but we preferred eating outdoors at La Isla.

The beach is rocky - lots of hidden rocks you may not see. So just be careful when you are walking around! I tripped over a rock on the beach my first day and fell flat on my face. You just have to watch where you are going. And the ocean water is rocky as well - not terrible but if you had water shoes, which we did, it made a huge difference. The beach is much softer around the main pool, rockier by the natural pool.

The water in the swimming pools was REALLY cold. I wish they had them heated - or at least one pool heated. It's very windy that part of Mexico, which was great for sitting out on the beach, but you didn't really want to go swimming bc it made it a little chilly, especially when you got out of the water. If the pools were heated it would have made a difference. I would have spent time in the hot tub (there's only one) but it's not heated - it's just a cold jacuzzi. And the swim up bars are all under shade so we didn't take advantage of them bc it was too cold! Which reminds me - bring sweaters! I was not prepared for the chilly evenings and was really cold when I was there. Also the main restaurant, Italian restaurant and Martini bar are inside and they are absolutely freezing.

They do need more pool and beach chairs. We woke up on our own every morning around 7, and just went and put a towel on a chair. But unfortunately, you have to do this or you will not find a place to sit.
I had to wake up at 6am to get a beach bed, and I think I got the last one. Don't think there is anything the resort can do about this though, it's just the way it works. Except for put a few more chairs around the casita pools perhaps and a few more on the beach. But people will still wake up early to "reserve" them. One thing to note - you can't see the sunset from the resort, so it's worth waking up early to see the gorgeous sunrise anyway. It's so peaceful on the beach in the mornings..

We weren't there for entertainment so I didn't care about the lack of nightlife. We went over to the swing/entertainment bar a couple nights and there was a show and then a band. Plenty of people therre. But that wasn't really our thing. If you are looking for a lot of action go to Cancun or Playa. We found that we were tired from waking up early and spending days in the sun and were asleep before 10 every night anyway.

I would definitely recommend this resort for anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing all-inclusive vacation. If you can, I would get a casita (request upstairs), but if not definitely the oceanfront suite.

3  Thank mek918
Reviewed April 5, 2004

The folks from Ham Lake seem like nice people. I'm heading down to EDR in May and am just hoping to meet people who know how to appreciate things for what they are. I've read reviews on this site for months and am having a hard time understanding why they posted that last comment??
I was going to email the Ham Lake people but they didn't leave an address. I can't wait to get down there and meet nice folks like that!

Reviewed April 3, 2004

We are going to the El dorado Royale in 2 weeks... thank goodness that the people from Ham Lake MN. were there before us.and not with us. What kind of poeple would rate a resort (low) by the quality of a Hamburger and because there were table cloths...You see I would call a low class hotel with checkered (red and white) table cloths... Maybe they eat in corner pubs .I hope that these people go to their next resort called Road Side Motel in MN...this they will enjoy.. we are sure.I can't believe it....... ah well "it takes all kind"

• Stayed: April 2004
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
Iberostar Grand Hotel Paraiso
#1 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!