“When the customer comes last”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“When the customer comes last”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Having chosen thi shotel for its facilities, and all inclusive basis, I have to say how bitterly dissapointed I was from my two weeks there. The hotel is run for the benefit of the staff, not for the holidaymakers. Firstly, as an all inclusive resort, the chance to actually get any food or drink is hugely restricted. The number of seats available at the resaurants means you are likely to have to wait upto an hour to eat, there is no reservation system, and the service is generaly poor (if friendly). Every time there is a problem, it can take up to 3 days to get any form of response, and there is never a solution, just promises they may fix this for the future. Half the facilities were unavailable due to the rain (Gym / Spa / pools etc), there were even times where towels were not available by the pools. The only way to get any form of service is to tip heavily, I actually think it would have been cheaper to have paid for everything we had, as no tip = no service. The prices of everything that is not included is twice what you would expect to pay, and mor than double what you would pay in oter parts of the Caribbean, there is very much a culture of "we have you here, now you pay". they hold special eveings, however these are just a way of supply unedible food, and attempting to sell cheap wines for over inflated prices. I can honestly say this is the worst holiday experience I have ever had, and would advise anyone going here to be very wary.

Room Tip: dont pay for the upgrades you will be dissapointed
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
14 Thank Barry B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,552)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Harrisonburg, Virginia
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My fiance and I were hesitant to book our honeymoon by just looking at pictures on the internet but this was one of the best decisions we ever made. The grounds are immaculate...they have more employees than you could ever imagine taking care of every detail. The only comparison I can think of is being at Disney where there isn't a piece of trash ANYWHERE. The food is legitimately gourmet. They vary the meal times of the restaurants so there is always a place to actually sit down and eat. You can drink to your heart's desire with top shelf liquor always available. Turn down service came twice a day so your room always looks great. We stayed at Casitas which was great since we could stay at our own pool or be even more social at the main pools and meet a younger crowd. I definitely suggest the candle light dinner. I don't know if I will ever be able to recreate something more romantic for my fiance. I traveled around the world and can't really think of a better place I have stayed. Book it without any doubt!

Room Tip: Casitas is worth the money if you want a variety of experience. Have your own pool and bar tender o...

4 Thank spg1983
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Lucky enough to stay a few nights in June at the El Dorado Royale ... got an amazing swimout suite was major fun, there are times when you dont necessarily feel you have to leave your room but with swimout you can wander around happily and be close to your room without just staying at the albeit incredible palm trees! The food at all the Karisma resorts is truly amazing, the food theatre here is out of this world .... a taste sensation to say the least! Visited and toured the new rooms at the El Dorado Seaside one of my favorite beaches and the new upcoming spa and lobby areas are going to be SUNsational! I always say you EXPERIENCE travel when you stay with Karisma!

Room Tip: Go for the extra upgrades, swimout and CASITAS for the ultimate stay ... top honeymoon destination h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Dawn F
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We just returned from El Dorado Royale and I have to say it was the best all inclusive resort we have ever visited! The service was incredible, the food was excellent, the grounds were impeccable and most importantly the staff was very gracious, exceedingly friendly and just went above and beyond. I wish service in ours and other countries I have visited could rival or even come close to how we were treated at this resort! I definitely will return next year!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

2 Thank Chris C
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 18, 2013

This resort is beautiful. They have a huge property with lots of shore line so you never feel crowded. The food and restaurants are wonderful, the best feature of the resort. In particular our lunches at the Mexican restaurant and dinner at the Japanese restaurant were to die for. Really enjoyed the main bar and night entertainment. Had a great time each night, and loved their circus show. The talent in that show was as good as cirque du soleie. Where they lacked was in service, I expected top service for the cost of this resort compared to others in the area, and that I've been to. The restaurant service was great, the rest of the resort not so much. It wasn't poor, just average like they really didn't care if you had a wow experience. They had a lot of rules for an all inclusive and I didnt like that. Example- can't wear certain clothes in the restaurants, or can't order food at the pool. Didn't like the number of times I heard no. And last we had a very poor experience with the room service. We only had a $100 bill so couldn't tip, the waiter flipped out and stormed out of our room saying how mad he was and slamming the door. The resort says tipping isn't necessary, but this place it's definitely expected at every turn. I wouldn't go back for the cost, if half the price it would be worth the value and experience. We went with a big group but got the feeling it was more of a couples resort. We booked through Beach Bum Vacations, and Joanne was fantastic. Everything was smooth with her, we didn't have to do a thing!

Room Tip: We had a swim up junior suite, very sad we could not use it til the last day. It rained all but the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Cassie M
Stockport
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Myself and my wife have just returned from 2 weeks at El Dorado Royale.2nd to 16th June. First few days were a bit of a wash out but even the rain couldn't wipe the smile off the faces of the staff. I have never stayed at a hotel where the staff have been so friendly with big Hola's every time you see them. The way they interacted with each other was excellent to see as well. They were a credit to what is a really good hotel.
We were slightly late checking in due to a delayed flight. Check in was really fast with a welcoming glass of champagne and an upgrade to an ocean view suite. Ivan on reception was really good.
Then on to a golf cart to be whisked to our apparently newly refurbished room in block 6. Top floor. We did have an ocean view, if you stood on tip toes and the wind happened to part the trees outside.
The hotel was absolutely fantastic. The food amazing, especially La Fuentes which you have to book for but our favorite was Kampai a pan asian restaurant. If you are going to go to Kampai then get there early. After 7.30ish and you'll have to wait. They have a pager system which is a good idea. Similar thing with the Italian ( use the one near reception rather than Casitas one. Not as pretentious and has a better menu) Can't really fault any of the restaurants really other than a bad experience with some deep fried calamari which were like eating tyre rubber. It was pointed out to the Chef and never occurred again whilst there.
Tipping.
You don't have to tip and the staff certainly don't hang around expecting it but with the service being so good everywhere I couldn't help myself.
Currency.
Good tip from our travel rep for UK visitors. Divide peso by 2 and take off a zero and you have the price (roughly) in sterling ie 100peso's divided by 2 = 50 take off the zero and that's £5.
Apparently a £5 tip is a really good tip for exceptional service at the hotel.
Room was very large and clean. Mini bar re stocked each day with water beer coke etc.
Ordered room service a couple of times. One thing that slightly annoyed me was that we asked for a bottle of house wine with a meal from room service and were told it would be approx 25 dollars. Not really 'all inclusive' then.
Some of the Americans can be a bit loud (especially the younger ones after a few coctails) and did have a young English couple in the room next to us who were partial to a bit of drunken arguing between themselves.
The location of the hotel isn't brilliant if you like getting out and about seeing local life but is ideal being right on the beach.
All in all we had a fantastic time and I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Block 6 is in a great location being quite close to the main lobby and all the man restaurants. Room...

3 Thank andyroseStockport
Oswego, Illinois
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Can't think of one bad thing about this resort, was totally amazed with the hospitality we were shown at the resort and Mexico in general. My husband said he never wanted to visit Mexico, but he was totally impressed, wished the citizens of the USA would take a hint,especially at the airports.

2 Thank Lisa W
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!