“Don't believe all the older,bad reviews!!”

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
blue springs,mo
“Don't believe all the older,bad reviews!!”
Reviewed February 1, 2004

I was also apprehensive after reading some of the older, negative reviews about the EDR, but just got back from there after spending the last week of Jan there, and have nothing but good things to say about the resort. I have been to to Playa del Carmen, Ixtapa, Cancun, and Playa del Carmen, and will only return to the Yucatan to vacation in Mexico. This property recently opened a new lobby with a lobby bar, and they are both beautiful. We stayed in one of the suites, it was just too much for a Casita. We did go to the pools in front of the Casitas though, less crowded, took 5-10 seconds to get a drink. We witnessed 3-4 weddings a day on the beach, which provided our entertainment for the day judging wedding dresses and brides! The only down side is the smell emenating behind the property, I guess from some type of lagoon.
There is a certain area where it just smells bad, but it is not that big a deal, you only smelled it when you were walking in a very small area, not anywhere near the beach. The dinner reservations were a pain, I think everyone would verify that. We actually went into Playa 2 nights, just to see the city & because we couldn't get the dinner reservations we wanted. You can ALWAYS eat at La Isla w/out reservations, it just doesn't have a theme like all the others. If possible, try & eat twice at the Oriental restaurant, Kampai. It was great. Mexican Fiesta was fun also, lots of food. Beaches are rocky, so wear some shoes. Tours were great, they are just time consuming, so plan on spending some time on them. We met some great prople there, and are planning to go back next year. The only word you will here more than Hola, is eh?, as there are tons of Canadians there. Drop the puck, for God's sake!! Seriously, they were a great bunch. If you have any questions about the property, feel free to e-mail me while the trip is fresh in my mind.

4 Thank mikeyboy1112

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,601)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bromont, Canada
Reviewed January 26, 2004

We just got back from spending 2 glorious weeks at this resort. I can only say that we had a marvelous time, and were totally impressed with the entire set-up of the EDR. The grounds were imaculate, the staff were always working to keep it clean. Every morning there was something like a conga line on the beach with wheelbarrows raking up anything that may have washed up ashore during the night. My wife and I have travelled both by cruise ship to many different ports and resorts as well as many different hotels. The EDR is without hesitation one of the nicest. There are of course some problems, but what resort doesn't have them. There are rocks in the water, so, wear water shoes...after that, the beach is wonderful with many chaises, umbrellas, and staff going around offering you drinks (no extra charge). The restaurants are top notch with quality, presentation, and service. Again the staff do their utmost to please the guests. The room service is amazingly fast and efficient. The food comes as ordered and is piping hot; and all this at no extra charge. Of course, we will always find some crabs who can't find anything nice to say about anything. Remember, you are on vacation, so slow down, and take a rest. You won't get better service at home from your wife or husband. The mexican people are genuinely happy to serve you, and sometimes a little tip like a dollar or two does really go a long way. Unknown to many, these people earn the equivalent of $4-$5.00 U.S. per day, and yet they are still smiling. The rooms are large, very clean, and the air conditionners are very effective. As for the restaurant reservation system, Denise is the lady sitting at the desk every morning from 9:00 am, and she does her best to help you. My suggestion is to go get a number at 8:30 am, go eat breakfast, and then go back to get your reservation. The wait won't seem long at all. I could go on and on, but really, this is a top notch resort with all the amenities for a lovely escape to a piece of paradise. Forget all your **** at home and just go enjoy yourself. The idea of a vacation is to escape, come back rested, and feeling great. I do not work for the hotel, but if I could escape this cold winter and go somewhere, the EDR would be my choice. Some of the people to look out for are Virginia at the Healthy Fruit and Juice Bar, Sergio Guzman, the captain at the steak house, Gina at the front lobby, and Antonio at the front desk. These people left us smiling , and with a real warm feeling. Thanks to all the others as well for making our 2 short weeks at the EDR a vacation we will not soon forget. We will be back again soon.

8 Thank Morrie0313
Reviewed January 25, 2004

I just got married at the El Dorado Royale on the 21st of January. It was absolutley perfect. The hotel staff did all the work and made my day stress free. They were accomodating and helpful. The beach is nice white sand and the hotel is layed back. I had a group on 19 with us and they all loved it and some are even still there for an additional week.
Anyone that says anything bad about this place is too hard to please.
The food was excellent and the entertainment good. I was pleasantly surprised at how young the age group was. There is something for everyone as there is a loud pool where the activities happen and there are various quiet pools. All with their own bars. I would recommend this hotel to everyone. Oh, one last thing, the casita suites are worth every penny!!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 24, 2004

We just got back from the EDR and I just say say enough positive. I was concerned after reading a few of the reviews here and we have nothing but positive to say. We stayed in a Csita suite which was perfect! We were steps from the beach and steps from our little bar. It never seemed over crowded or noisy. This place is spread out so nicley. It's not a wild night life single s place to go, so if that's what you want go to Cancun and get there watered down drinks. There is always something going on and they give you a schedule of activities to choose from. You never feel pressured to do anything. Though it is an "all inclusive" We did find if your nice and friendly with the staff and slip them a little extra they will be good to you. Don't ever feel you need to do this though they don't seem to expect it. We just wanted some staff we saw daily to have a little extra.

We had a dinner on the beach. The staff was wonderfaul again, and the man comes around and plays the violin, brought tears to my eyes. It just didn't get better than that. Get the early dinner slot so you can see the ocean before sun set.

I will say the airport was bad in Cancun. We came and left on a Saturday. I did ask and they said the weekends are worse. If you can, come on a Monday or Tuesday and you should miss the airport chaos.

If you have any questions or concerns just write and I'll try to answer them for you.

If staying in a regular room Ocean front, ask for the last one by the casitas if you can. If your staying in a Casita and want quiet ask for the second sets of casitas. (They are in 3 clusters of about 15 Casitas. The middle ones are where we stayed. They are adding on at the end so the last cluster you will hear the building noise.

I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

Ann

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 21, 2004

Well I would have to agree w/ Bonnie's review, anyone who didn't have a wonderful time here is just too hard to please. Judd and I stayed here, along w/ our party of 16, from Jan. 7-14, 2004. We got married here, and it was just perfect. I have to say, go w/ the flow. If you are flexible and laid-back, not uptight about what's gonna happen next, this is the place for you. Very relaxing or entertaining depending on what you wanna do. We had a casita, which is well-worth it. The staff was so sweet and I felt so spoiled. All the food was amazing, especially the lobster:), and there were activities up the wazoo. Our wedding was amazing.. The wedding coordinator met w/ us and everything went perfect. My maid of honor and I got picked up in a golf cart (covered w/ roses and gauzy fabric) from my casita to be brought to the wedding at the gazebo, where everyone was waiting. It was just emotional and the scenery was spectacular. The photographer gave us our photo album ($250 w/ the negatives, I really recommend it) and everyone says the pix are to die for and are truly envious!!. I could go on and on, but I won't. Please email me if you have any questions, especially about weddings, cuz I know you will have an amazing, dream-come-true wedding just like we did! Kelly

3 Thank CozumeLover
Reviewed January 19, 2004

We can't begin to tell you how much we loved this place! Everything was absolutely PERFECT. Angie and Kevin went there in 2002 according to her negative review recently submitted and that is 2 years ago! Things have obviously changed immensely since then! We viewed 3 weddings there on the beach during our week and they were all nice and went without a hitch. My husband and I are in our mid 50's and we have traveled around the world, but this is the best place we have ever been to, honestly!
We were there for one week from January 10th to the 17th, 2004 (Saturday to Saturday). The weather was perfect except for a couple cloudy days, but what the heck, you just don't lay in the sun those days! There are many things to keep you busy at this resort and in addition to that it is VERY relaxing and a great getaway from stress!
The spa is great too, by the way! We stayed on the first floor of one of the garden view suites and we felt the room was very accommodating with a beautiful jacuzzi in the bedroom and patio outside with chairs and hammock to relax in. The bathroom was huge with a very large shower area. Lots of closet space to store your clothes, unlike one reveiw I read. Very nice view of all the gardens too around us. Actually I prefer it over the more expensive casitas. Hard bed like some reviews have said? Not at all! We are used to a waterbed, but this bed was just fine for us and actually soft enough for our liking. Dinner reservations for the other restaurants besides the La Isla are not hard to make at all! We never had to even wait in line to tell the girl in charge of the bookings. You can only book 2 days ahead though, so keep that in mind. You just go there every other day to make your bookings in the mornings. The beach is lovely, by the way and you don't even need to wear water shoes if you are at the far south part of the beach.
Very nice and sandy. The northern beach near the casitas is not as nice and it is rougher. Just walk down to the other beach if you don't like the one where you are at. The beach is 1.5 miles long in front of the hotel! We didn't snorkel in front of the hotel because it was too rough on some of the days, but we took a great snorkel tour one day instead.

We loved everything about this place including the delicious gourmet food, the service of the waitors and staff who bend over backwards to please you and entertain you. They are just wonderful people at this place, every one of them! The food was marvelous and so much of it too--we were stuffed at the end of each day! The drinks were weak at the bars (for our taste anyway), so we always asked for double the booze in them---our only complaint of the whole place! We never could figure out what all the negative comments were that I had read posted on the internet prior to our trip! We tried hard to find something to see that we could find fault with, but we just couldn't! People who have had bad things to say must just be negative, hard to please people --that is all we can figure out! We discussed this with all the people we met there and they too thought that the comments online were unjustified because they loved the place too! Don't be afraid to go here! I believe that the place is really trying hard to please everyone because they make you fill out questionnaires all the time on how to improve their hotel and you are even interviewed by a guest services man as to how it can be improved. They are building new buildings there all the time and a brand new welcome center will open in a couple weeks. It's huge! As for buffets, they ALWAYS have a buffet in addition to ordering off the menu in the La Isla main dining room. There is so much food and it is prepared so nicely and presented so beautifully that you will be amazed. Simply delicious is all I can say! And if you don't like it, there must be something wrong with you or you are spoiled and only are used to eating fast food! Then don't go to a nice place like this. Stay home. We will be going back there many more times, that is for sure!

Bonnie & Conny Christensson Robbinsdale, Minnesota boncon47@aol.com

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed January 19, 2004

My husband and I stayed for the third time in May 2003 (yes, it's a late review). This is a fabulously and amazingly underrated spa resort. We stayed, for the first time, in a free standing casita located beachfront instead of a standard room. Was worth every penny and then some. The service and staff were excellent. The resort itself is an adult, all-inclusive with premium alcohol, gourmet restaurants, 24 hour room service, several pools, nite life, car rental on-site, and access to multiple off-site activities. We went deep sea fishing and caught a 90 lb. sailfish! Was very exciting. Casitas have own concierge, large private wrap around verandas with hammock, lounge chair, table and chairs. Will definitely return but the casitas will forever be our preference.

6 Thank Deborah134
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#11 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!