“Life is GREAT in the Presidential Suite!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Dorado Royale, by Karisma

El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Fort Smith, Arkansas
“Life is GREAT in the Presidential Suite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2007

We recently returned from 5 glorious days in one of the Presidential Suites at EDR. We stayed in the Chichén Itza Villa (5603 and 5604), which is the middle of the three suites. These suites are on the south side of the resort, and while you have the privacy of your own pool and stretch of beach you are close to many of the restaurants and activities. We did arrange our stay through an Exotic Club member and paid just a little more than we would have if we had stayed in the Individual Casitas. If you would like more information, feel free to send me a private message.

We planned this trip with another couple, and the suite was perfect for 4 people. Each couple had a bedroom and bathroom that were identical in size, the main difference being a king size bed in the “master bedroom” and two queen size beds in the “guest bedroom.” Knowing that two couples were booked into the suite, though, they moved the two beds together to create one extra large king size bed-perfect for my 6’6” husband and myself! This is just a small indication of the type of service we were provided by EDR as Presidential guests. The bedrooms were on either side of the living area, which provided a terrific place for the four us to visit and also lent some privacy when each couple disappeared into their bedroom. All the rooms opened onto the pool area, which led to our own king size palapa, hammock and lounge chairs on a nice stretch of sand along the retaining wall and just above the beach. Only a few steps down and you were in the beautiful water-every shade of blue and green imaginable! Our area of beachfront was rockier than that in front of the Casitas, but the snorkeling was great, especially around the “whales” or sand bags. It also provided some wonderful areas to look for shells and aquatic life.

Only the husbands took advantage of the tours that were included in the Presidential package (a snorkel trip from Marina Maroma, which they seemed to enjoy.) Both are divers, but we planned this trip as a much-needed getaway to just relax so most of our time was spent enjoying our pool, beach, meals and each other. We did take advantage of the spa services, and were very impressed with our massages and facials. Ask for Ana or Sonia-you won’t be disappointed!

Our Presidential Concierges (or “butlers”) were Daniele and Julio, and they were incredible! Daniele is Italian, spoke 5 different languages, and anticipated our every desire. Very professional, but had that special warmth that is often lacking in his profession. Julio is from Mexico; he always had a big smile, great sense of humor and worked so hard to make our stay a perfect one.

Now to food and drinks. The sparkling house wine was great, the red and white were not! We enjoy many types (and price levels) of wine, so we strongly suggested to the staff that this is an area that EDR needs to address. Many people prefer a nicer wine with dinner, and we felt that if you were forced to order from a wine list they should at least have some better wines that are reasonably priced since this is considered an All-Inclusive resort. Unfortunately, that was not the case and we were very disappointed with the one bottle of red wine that we did order (a $150 bottle of Valpolicella.) That being said, we enjoyed many other types of drinks and thought that they had a good selection of different brands (including Tanqueray and Bombay gin, Skyy vodka, Chivas Regal scotch, etc.) Look at what is behind the bar, request that in your drinks, and relax-these are NOT no-name, rot-gut brands and you can go without your Belvedere or Glenfidditch for a few days ;-) Must admit, though, that we were spoiled in the suite; we could request that any type of beer, liquor or house wine they had at the resort be stocked in our bar or refrigerator.

The food was outstanding, and I can’t imagine anyone leaving a meal hungry. We were encouraged to order as many dishes as we liked and although the appetizers were relatively small we felt that the entrees were comparable to what we usually find in an upscale restaurant. Surprisingly, our favorite restaurant ended up being JoJo’s. We enjoyed being right next to the beach in an open-air atmosphere, and the Caribbean menu featured everything from chicken to octopus, each uniquely and deliciously prepared. La Isla ended up being a close second to JoJo’s; we had a wonderful lunch in the restaurant and ordered both breakfast and dinner from there several times. That was one of our many benefits staying in the Presidential Suite-we could order room service from any restaurant menu! Kampai is lovely, particularly at night, and the sushi was delicious but we felt that the menu was somewhat limited and the dishes were not as richly flavored as we usually find in Asian restaurants. D’Italia has an extensive menu and we did enjoy our meal there; just seemed a little stilted and not as intimate as we would prefer at a beach resort. We probably would have appreciated the variety of restaurants more if we had been staying longer than 5 nights. Our only real complaints in regards to the food were the scarcity of lobster dishes (my favorite food!) and the fact that we couldn’t convince them that we truly wanted our salsa “más caliente”! The dress code was pretty inconsistent; we saw several men at D’Italia in casual jeans and flip-flops. This was during their busiest dinner hours (7:30-9:30), so we were a little surprised. Didn’t really bother us, but the resort needs to set a policy and stick with it.

As for suggestions, my husband and I started the Jarro-Dophilus (Pro-Biotics) recommended by a previous poster about 2 weeks before our trip and didn’t have any digestive problems (we ate and drank everything!) Definitely bring water shoes (aqua socks to some of us!); we even wore ours in larger size fins when we snorkeled. Check directly with each restaurant that you have selected for lunch or dinner before you go to make sure that it is open (there was a great deal of confusion about what was open each day-maybe because of it being low season, but still very frustrating for our Concierge!) We’re still not clear on the status of wireless availability. We were supposed to have it in our suite, but never could access it with our laptop. We didn’t press the issue, though, because they had a computer for us to use in the master bedroom (although they had a unique keyboard and a Spanish format which made for some interesting searches!) We did tip everyone; not required but definitely appreciated.

We took a tour of a Presidential Casita, and it was lovely. For just one couple it would be perfect; the main differences between it and a Presidential Suite are the private pool area and a larger living area. We also took a quick tour of the new Infinity Casita area and are anxious to see photos when it is completed. It should be really nice; just not sure how I would feel knowing that someone was sitting in a pool right above me!

One final note; they are planning to do some renovations in the suites over the next few months. The floors will be replaced with new polished limestone, and the half bath in the foyer is supposed to be converted to a sauna / steam room attached to the master bathroom.

If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message through TA!

• Liked — Gorgeous suite, pool and beach area and being all-inclusive with gourmet meals
  • Disliked — Wine selection
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
13 Thank Kiki_J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,440)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2007

I'm sorry but I have to give my honest opinion

We stayed here from Oct 4-11 and were really disappointed. I do agree with the other reviews that the resort is absolutely gorgeous and our casita room was huge and beautiful but that's where it ends.

The service was terrible, we were waiting around 2 and 1/2 hours for lunch and 3 hours for dinner, slow is an understatement. We were also turned away from restaurants a couple of times because they were so busy, if you go after 8.30pm it is a problem even although they dont close till 10.00pm. Room service is good when you can get it but if its raining room service doesnt run. It rained almost every day on and off when we were there and I know the hotel has no control over the weather but it should be possible to get the room service we had paid so much money for.

The entertainment was very poor at nights and the daytime entertainment was almost non-existant, we were told upon arrival that there is daily activities going on in the big main pool, we went up there a few times but never saw any. If you are looking to just completely relax for the whole week then this is the place but we were expecting just a little bit more.

The golf buggys were great if only you could get them regularly, the hotel needs to have a lot more running throughout the resort, the casita guests come off worst as they have the furthest to go especially when its raining, there is a large golf umbrella provided in your room but its a good walk from casitas to restaurants etc.

The beach was so disappointing, its very rocky and I would advise on wearing plastic shoes or sandals so you dont cut your feet. Its perfect for snorkelling if thats your thing but we were hoping to swim in the ocean and other than dipping in and out it wasnt really possible to swim properly or have fun jumping the waves like at Cancun. Although I know the huge sandbags are there to protect whats left of the beach and coral, I found them to be an eyesore and it was not the breathtaking view I was expecting.

There were other things but I think ive said enough.
Yes the place is beautiful, spotless and luxurious but luxury alone does not make a fantastic holiday at least not for me.

We stayed the week before this at the Golden Parnassus Hotel in Cancun, although its a small hotel and only a 4 star there was no comparison between the two. If you read my review for this hotel you will see that I am not one of those people who just like to complain about everything and comparing the two resorts the El Dorado Royale is just not worth the extra money.

• Liked — The accomodation was luxurious
  • Disliked — The service, everything is slow slow slow
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank scotsfolkonhols
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2007

We arrived in sunny cancun after a 9 hour flight from manchester and within 50 minutes of getting off the plane we were in the grande reception of EDR with a cool glass of champagne.. once reception realised we were in the casita rooms.. off we went in a golf buggy, with more champagne, to check in... all in all a painless process..

il keep this as brief as possible - hotel is amazing, spotlessley clean and the staff cant do enough for you.. they dont expect tips, however we did tip on a regular basis when we felt it was deserved and by golly, they do work hard!!

Food:
Fuentes - lovely, enjoyed the food, especially the choc pudding - watch out for the air con duct.. it snapped and landed on the table next to us one night - no one hurt though, so that was ok..

Jo Jo's - great for lunch.. good choice on the menu (we ate here most afternoons).

Cocotal - the mayan night was superb.. really enjoyed it.. the menu here changes nightly, so check with the concierge! we didnt do breakfast here..

Kamapi - WOW this was the best for us.. the food in here was amazing.. and better than some of the japenese food i have had in england.. we also did breakfast here every day - the srilanken omelete is a must.....

La Isla - wasnt for us im afraid..

Da Italian - again this was amazing.. the food was top quality.

Fondue - didnt bother as we dont really like cheese that much.. did here some negative reports from other guests too...

Room service - The casita menu is excellent.. we used room service a couple of times and it was superb.. very quick, food was piping hot.... could not fault it...

ok, dress code.. at lunch almost anything goes so long as you wear a top and shorts.. foot ware isnt really a problem.. at dinner, fella's should not have open toed shoes and need to wear long pants and a shirt of some type - ladies they are a little more relaxed with - BE WARNED, they do turn people away for inappropriate dressing.........

reservations - not needed any more.. you just turn up.. now, we are early eaters and ate every night at about 630pm.. we had no problem getting a table. The peek time for eating seems to be at 8pm.. please take note.. once the restaurant is full.. they will turn you away.. we spoke to a number of people (late eaters) that got turned away from ALL of the eating places on a couple of nights and had to use room service..... if you get there and there are no tables, they give you a pager so you can go get a drink etc...

casita or villa - we booked the casita section and have no complaints.. there is a distinct difference in the feel of the casita section and villa section.. was it worth the extra money.. for us, yes.. it was perfect and we can honestly say we had not 1 complaint!

the beach - this is not EDR's strongest assett.. we are beach lovers and did spend every day (apart from the rainy ones) on the beach.. the sandbags are more interesting than annoying (grab a snorkel and go take a look....) but the beach is quite rocky in parts - did it dampen our holiday... NO WAY!! so dont let it dampen yours.. just be prepared...

Mangroves - didnt bother us, hardly noticed any smell.....

time share - again we were not approached or disturbed...

all in all, this is a great hotel.. its well worth a visit. would we go back.. yes, in an instant.. its on our honeymoon list for 2009!

• Liked — the food....
  • Disliked — having to come home....
14 Thank Josh R
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

My husband and I just got back from a five day stay at the El Dorado Royale and I must say we got exactly what we were looking for. This is the perfect place for your honeymoon or for a romantic getaway. We wanted to relax and celabrate our anniversary and I have to say that it was a very romantic place. Now I would not suggest this hotel for a couple looking to have a great time and needs a lot of entertainment because there was not much going on here. The shows at night were not so hot and all we pretty much had to do was hang out at the bars which is fun for lots but not so much for us.

Here is a run down of the positives and negaives for us but for others they may not have been so take them how you like. I read the reviews before we went there and some had good tips ( like reserve those beach beds early in the morning by putting your towels there) so here are my comments:

Positives:
1.Beautiful Place and very clean
2.Loved the outdoor beds on the beach and pool area
3. Great food
4. Had a blast on spead boad and ATV

Negatives:
1. Not enough waiters at times so dinner could take more than two hours or maybe they do that on purpose to make it more enjoyable but we didn't like that
2. Need more daily and nightly activities on the resort for people who want to hang out there instead of having to leave and drive somewhere for fun

BTW, I read reviews about needing reservations for the restaurants so want to let you know they no longer require it.

Also, read one reveiw about the sand bags on the beach and I have to say that if it were not for them we could not have swam on the days when the waves were quite big.

14 Thank beachbum017
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2007

My significant other and I stayed here for my 60th birthday celebration. I rented a scooter to get around, but could have just used golf carts. Some of the pools I was unable to get into because of hand rail problems but the big pool was never a problem. The staff went out of there way to help me with my handicap. After being there relaxing for 8 days I had to face another operation at the end of January, but this relaxed and prepared me for this ordeal so much that my dr. couldn't believe the shape I was in after relaxing but eating healthy and exercsising in the gym. Ended up not needing a wheelchair for the first time in 2 1/2 years after my accident. Room on first floor was great (a little slippery with the marble) and the room was everything they promised. We are returning over New Year again to celebrate that we are living together for 31 years. Would not stay any place else (maybe the Azul or Seaside next). I am going back not needing a scooter and 100+ lbs less than when I was there in January. It started me getting out of wheelchair and being more mobile. Still need first floor as can not do stairs, but this hotel "healed" my spirit and my body. People can not believe how well I came home after staying there for 8 days.

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank Sandy-TJ
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2007

My hubby and I travelled to the EDR from June 27th to July 1st to celebrate our anniversary. From the very beginning we had a wonderful time and kept asking ourselves why there were so many negative reviews posted before we left. We have travelled to several all-inclusives and this was by far the BEST!

We arrived at the resort around 2pm and our room was not ready, which we had expected, because of the check-in time of 3pm. Not a big deal, we just went to the Martini Lounge to have a couple drinks and wind down from our flight. When our room was ready, they came to get us from the bar, around 2:45pm. We were taken to our Swim-up junior suite (4402) by golf cart and settled in. The swim-up was amazing, room immaculate, bed comfy, towel art pretty, etc. Our room was across from Fuentes and the pool.

The gardens and landscaping were incredible. Obviously well taken care of.

Staff and Service: The staff that we encountered were very friendly, always greeting you with "Hola", even just in passing, and everyone was very helpful. We tried every restaurant except Kampai and we were pleased with everything. Our favorites were breakfast at Fuentes, lunch at JoJo's, and dinner at D'Italia. We tipped for every meal and at the bar. They all work so hard and we felt that they deserved it. I wouldn't say that we received better service because of tipping, but it was definately appreciated. Hugo was by far the best bartender, he can make you anything that you want. Of course, like most places you need to specify what brand of liquor you want (ie. Don Julio, Absolut, etc), otherwise you will get the cheaper brands. Not a big deal! We tried room service a few times and were pleased. Everything arrived the temp. that it should have been and within about 30 minutes. Our fridge in our room was restocked everyday with beer, soda, and water. My husband likes Corona and not the other brand of beer that they had, so everyday he left a note on the fridge requesting Corona only and none of the other, and that's what they left.

Beach vs. Pool: We are not lovers of swimming in the ocean so we spent most of our time lounging by the pool. We did however walk on the beach a couple of times. The pools were clean, lounge chairs always available, and not overcrowded. I didn't feel that the "whales" took away from the view of the ocean, especially since they are there for a good reason. One day we chose to hang out on the loungers by our room in the swim-up instead of going to the big pool. We thought that we would have to walk to the bar to get drinks, but there was a waiter that would come by to take orders and deliver them to us. This was a nice surprise!

We were approached once about doing the "tour" of the resort and were offered $150 Dorado dollars to spend if we attended. We did agree and we didn't feel that it was a huge waste of time at all. It took about 90 minutes, we turned down the time share offer, and then were given the Dorado dollars. This came in handy for us to use to buy some gifts at the gift shop and to pay our phone bill at the end of our stay from calling home. It was worth that 90 minutes to us.

We did not do any off site tours because we were only there for 5 days and the purpose of our trip was to RELAX, and that is exactly what we did. We came back to reality feeling refreshed and satisfied. We did not experience anything that we could complain about and have already recommended this place to friends and family. We plan on returning in a couple of years and staying in a Swim-up junior suite again. I can't see spending the extra money for a casita, when we had such an amazing time on this trip. The only thing that we will change for next time is that we will be going for a longer time!!

• Liked — Relaxation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
12 Thank HappymommyRN
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2007

My husband and I are recently returned from two glorious weeks at the EDR. We both loved it so much that we very rarely left the resort. We stayed in an Ocean Front room (4142) and had a fabulous view of the ocean. We were offered an upgrade to a Casita, but we decided to stick to our room.

On our arrival, we were offered a chilled glass of sparkling wine - a very nice touch after our 10 hour flight. The check-in process was quick and friendly (although the receptionist forgot to give us our towel pass). I was surprised to be asked for a credit card deposit of 5000 pesos, but this is taken as a deposit against any extras you might book during your stay.

We were whisked off to our room in a golf buggy and given a run through of the facilities on the way. What can I say about our room, it was just what I was expecting after looking at their website, and lovely and clean. The bed was unbelievably comfortable and so big. I loved the towel art, such a nice touch. The outside temperature was around 28C and the humidity was quite high when we arrived, so air conditioning is a must and it had been left on to keep the room lovely and cool.

We mostly ate in the Cocotal restaurant (you can help yourself to their buffet style breakfast or choose something from their menu) and JoJos - all of the food was fantastic and the staff really great. D'Italia was an experience and we thoroughly enjoyed it. We did try Fuentes once, but decided the atmosphere and food weren't for us. We also tried the burger bar and room service a couple of times, and they were both really good. We did tip on most occasions, but it wasn't really necessary becase the service was second to none all of the time.

We spent most of our days lazing on the beach and swimming in the sea. The "whales" do help to keep the sea calmer and it was fascinating to watch all the fish swimming around them - and around us. The ocean is so clear and warm. I recommend sunbathing on the beach, because you get the lovely breeze off the ocean and it can be quite welcome in the heat. We managed to use the same sunbeds most days, without having to get up and reserve them. The beach beds were always in use by the time we got down to the beach, but to be honest we weren't bothered about them anyway. The only time we were grateful that we did have the use of one, was the one (and only) afternoon when we were on the beach and we had a heavy downpour of rain. We could sit under the cover of the beach bed and wait until the rain stopped. When it did, we saw the most fantastic double rainbow over the ocean.

We didn't even have to move off our sunbeds for a drink, because a waiter comes around regularly to bring you whatever drinks you want.

The gardens surrounding the hotel are wonderful and extremely well tended. Lots of palm trees (most of which are lit up at night), tropical flowers and shrubs and not forgetting the Iguanas roaming around and the colourful birds flying around. There is an army of gardeners and they do a fantastic job - I don't know how they manage in the heat.

We recommend trying the Xel Ha trip (another great guide and so funny) and swimming with the Dolphins at Delphinus. We went on the Coba Mayan jungle trip and the guide was extremely knowledgeable about the Mayans - very interesting ruins. Although, in the heat and humidity, quite a long tiring day. We left the hotel at 7:30am and were picking up at other hotels for the first couple of hours. Then it was about another hour to the first stop. You definitely need a good bug spray for this trip. We had a quick swim in a large rock pool in the afternoon which was a really welcome way to cool off. Remember to take your swimming gear and towels and wear something easy to change out of because you have to change in the open - no changing facilities here, it's in the middle of the jungle. The guide and the driver kept us well served with chilled water or soft drinks each time we left the coach or got back on.

By the way, I took a mixture of Mexican Pesos and Dollar travellers cheques, but everything seems to be geared up for Dollars. If I go back, I won't bother with the pesos.

If we had to pick fault with our holiday, it would be the concierge asking us several times if we wanted to go on the tour around the resort and look at the Presidential Suite. We really were not interested in doing it and they asked us at least twice to three times a week for the two weeks we stayed, including phoning us in our room. Although they were very helpful and friendly if you needed any help at all.

PS: I forgot to mention, try to experience the wonders of the Spa. We had a sample massage on the beach - my husband had 10 minute back massage and I had a 10 minute reflexology. It was so good that we booked in for the full session. This was held in the Sky Massage Cabins right on the beach overlooing the ocean and it was fabulous.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del Carmen
#12 of 212 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 15,190 reviews

Been to El Dorado Royale, by Karisma? Share your experiences!