The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hacienda Tres Rios(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Maya Royale(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
Rosewood Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
View Hotel
BlueBay Grand Esmeralda(Playa del Carmen)
  • Breakfast included
Fairmont Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
  • Beachfront
Banyan Tree Mayakoba(Playa del Carmen)
4,103 results
All reviewshavana moontime shareplaya del carmentimeshare presentationbeautiful resortblue fishgreen breakrented a cargrand blissplunge poolsales pitchbedroom suiterci exchangeshuttle servicetimeshare ownersjade boutiquewine bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 17, 2010

My husband and I went to the Grand Mayan from November 6th to the 13th 2010 and can't wait to go back.
The resort is great for couples, families, and retirees because it caters to everyone's needs perfectly.
We traded our 1 bedroom through RCI and got a 1 bedroom here and it was ultra modern and very colorful. The kitchen had granite counter tops and full stove top if you wanted to cook. The bathroom had a separate shower and toilet, and double sinks! The bedroom had a big soaking tub (no jets though) and a king sized bed in it. The patio was very large and had a small dipping pool. The building we stayed in was #11 and yes if you have trouble walking, it is far from the restaurants and pools (10 minute walk). They do have shuttles that take you back and forth to the lobby that come every 15 minutes though. The rooms are no where near the ocean. No ocean views either, just the golf course or a jungle, but still very private.

It had three enormous picture perfect pool areas, with swim up pool bars and infinity edges. No problem finding a chair this time of year and there were plenty of shady, palm thatched huts and beds to lie under. The beach area was small, but the sand was so soft and the water so clear and turquoise, it made up for it. It is rocky to swim in, so I would recommend water shoes if you want to go in. No jacuzzis though, unless I missed them! We don't have kids, but they did have a kids activity calendar I noticed and some activities throughout the day for us adults (water aerobics, volleyball), but they weren't pushy about getting you involved if you didn't want to.

The restaurants were all excellent and they didn't try and push to much Mexican food on you. We ate at Gong (Japanese), Tramonto (Italian), Havana Moon (Cuban/Thai), and Balche (Mexican). Being from NJ, we were a little hesitant about Tramonto, but it was very good (mom's is still best sorry). Sushi at Gong was very fresh and tasty as well. The variety of places to each was nice because if you didn't want to ever leave the resort you didn't have too. We actually only left the resort to have dinner twice. Grand Mayan has a no cash policy, which I liked...everything is signed to the room. Prices were what I would expect for hotel food (expect 10 bucks for a hamburger etc...)

Service on the whole was very good. I had one bad experience with the girl that checked us in not being very helpful when they could not find our reservation. She asked us to figure out the problem ourselves (not," can I call someone for you" or" let me get a manager"). I had to call the states and use my husband's phone to find that RCI had spelt our names wrong and that is why they couldn't find the reservation. When I went back to tell her what the problem was, she made me go to the back of a 20 person deep line. Check in took over one hour!

All the waiters were very friendly, including pool staff and bartenders, but kind of surprised that their English wasn't always great. I know it is Mexico, but shouldn't they speak English very well if 90% of your clients are Americans? A special gracias to Carlos at Balche and Juan at Green Break for excellent service though.

The resort is 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen, but taxis are available for 20 dollars and a shuttle runs every couple hours for about 4 bucks a person. The last shuttle leaves the hotel at 6 pm though, kind of early for us for dinner, but hey you are on vacation right?? Playa does have a Mega grocery store and a Costco, so stock up there on snacks, water, and other essentials because the convenience store is pricey.

I did not think a rental car was necessary, but we didn't do a lot of sightseeing. We did take a tour of Tulum with YukaTreks (unforgettable day, look them up!) and went to Cozumel (you can take a ferry ride thats about 50 minutes from Playa to get there). A rental car was about 60 bucks a day, so if you did more sightseeing maybe it would be worth it for you. They do have a Hertz in the lobby of the hotel so no worries about the hassle at the airport.

Hotel also provides a free shuttle pickup when you arrive (book in advance through the concierge at concierge.cun@grandmayan.com.mx) A taxi to Cancun was 30 bucks and so was the hotel shuttle back to the airport, so we just took a taxi. Check out was very smooth and took about 20 minutes.

Overall, the experience was just what we wanted...relaxation and worry free for one week!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank stocktonkb
Reviewed November 16, 2010

Everything other reviewers are saying about the timeshare presentation is absolutely true. The resort claims the presentaiton is 90 minutes long but it is more of a kidnapping that lasts at least 4 hours. Tony R is the rudest person I have ever met. I would spend more time and go into detail regarding my horrible experience but I don't want to waste one more minute on them. They have already wasted enough of my time. I would never trust a word they say. The price went from $89,000 to $3,000. Does that really make any sense. They should be out of business any minute. Thanks for letting me vent.

Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank benny1111Rochester
Reviewed November 13, 2010

It is our last day here at the Grand Mayan and I can honestly say it is the most amazing place I never could have imagined anything like this. No until today did i read trip advisor and some of what other people had to say about the place. First off we did avoid the Sale Rep's at all costs! They tried talking to us and we just walked away. :) So we didn't let that ruin our trip. However, When we went to breakfast at the del Largo Restaurant I can see the sales people are everywhere and there are a lot of unhappy people with these reps. However, if you avoid them your stay will be fine and we didn't have to do much to get rid of them other than tell them no and walk away.
Everyone at this resort is extremely nice if they don't know the answer they will find someone that does. I wish i knew a bit more Spanish than i do. ( because i know zip) but still we were able to communicate with more than half of the people. It is incredible. Everyone here works as hard as they possibly can to keep everything insanely clean and looking Beautiful.
We didn't know this until after but it is an insult for them to bring you your bill without asking so if you ask for your bill they will bring it otherwise they just kind of leave you to do your thing. Our one waiter told us this after we had almost walked off without signing our slip. ((oh i felt sooo horrible)) I guess as far as wild animals there are crocodiles to see and wild cats running around and iguanas all over but they never bothered us we actually thought it was kinda neat. No animal ever harmed anyone that we had seen. I did however see one girl fall by the swimming pool and there are signs everywhere caution slippery floors It really depends what kind of shoes you wear and yes weather you have had to much to drink.
My personal opinion i would recommend this to anyone an amazing place to stay. we didn't not bring our daughter but i probably would next time. They have a great big pool for the families and an exclusive pool for people that don't want kids around as much. As for swimming on the beach its not much for swimming especially with high waves and coral but who would want to swim in the ocean when you have a variety of amazing pools to swim in??

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AnnaBendtschneider
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We just got back last night 11/12/10 from a week at the Grand Mayan, building 4, and had a wonderful time. We were leery after all the scary news about drug wars in Mexico but that is happening far away, at the borders. The whole playa del carmen area felt very safe, hotel has great security, safe to take cabs as they write down your room number and cab number as you exit to ensure that they know exactly who you are with when you leave, we rented a car at the hertz on site for $60 for the day, very easy driving to tulum/akumal. loved the buena vida restaurant in akumal where you can have a meal or drink on a swing, hammock, or tree house on a gorgeous beach. Prices about the same everywhere. nice is nice. We would have gone to see other things but my husband had to leave early and did not want to worry about us so we stayed on the grounds. They do a great job entertaining you with a great activities staff: my 9 year old LOVED the quality crafts- made paper flowers, pinata, first class face painting, all included. She and I took the stretch class on the beach and water aerobics each day, recommended! THe bike tour was neat and we saw all the crocos and flamingos on the property. My 13 year old son loved lounging around the Sanctuary Pool a very exclusive classy place with outdoor beds where you can nap, interesting shaped resting places, one day I found him in a lounge shaped like a teepee, another in a bananna peel.
Bring your matching, non patterned clothes for a professional family pic, session is free, pics are unique and very cool and they cost $30 each for a digital image you own and can print or download as much as you want.. a bargain!!
I am pretty frugal and found that the store is just a little more than a grocery store and to me it was not worth a 20 minute drive anywhere to buy juice, eggs, milk and an occasional deli sandwich and pizza- all tasty and saved a lot of $$ on the final bill. Bring your own coffee filters, coffee, sugar packets, sweet low, packaged foods and save even more. You can do laundry for about $8/load fyi, they provide everything for that.
Restaurants were amazing: the blue fish on the way in when you're waiting for your room yum, Frida's is the very best (mexican), and Gong, sushi, asian was delicious and very sophisticated...averaged about $70 lunch, $100 dinner for a family of four, much like at home. Del Lago was kind of yuk in that the shows were cheesy and the buffet was a lot of mediocre food or inexpensive food at a premium price $35 person/kids 1/2 price, you could easily skip it. Would have liked to have tried breakfast buffet at green break near golf course, read it was good and confused it for del lago.
Beach was beautiful but rocky (lots of reefs, bring snorkeling stuff if you have it) and water shoes. Sand beach walking distance.
Low # building is advised, especially if you are not fit to walk much and even then you will walk, but we are pretty healthy and the walk is beautiful and never more than 5-10 minutes. never took shuttle. felt badly for very elderly or overweight, they did struggle. We were concerned that we would get no privacy as a 2br was not available, but the 1bedroom would afford privacy for parents even if you had 4 kids b/c living room has 2 day beds with trundle. very private, comfortable quarters.
I used the internet to check into office each morning, but instead of paying $95 for the week, I did 24 hrs for $17 and checked in MT for $17 and WTh for $17, not bad. Skipped the sales pitch after reading all the bad reviews, but I am curious about what it takes to own the timeshare there..it's lovely.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank peoplesfamilytrips
Reviewed November 11, 2010

You cannot even walk into this place without being attacked by time share vultures. I gave this place the benefit of the doubt but it was actually worse than I thought. The first morning we were sucked into the time share "seminar"...5 hours later, only after sneaking out and leaving my boyfriend and friend we were allowed to leave. THE FIRST DAY, we hadn't even looked at the place and these people were trying to get us to buy a time share. We went with a couple and the woman we were with threw a fit, made a scene and they still wouldn't let us leave...really it was horrible. Like left and right people were trying to get us to do buy something. So I guess I am a nice person and I should have just told them to shove it. Lesson learned.

So the food was great. The rooms were really nice. The workers were friendly. The pools were nice, we were at the "grand" mayan, so were in the nicer area. Yet, the people that were there were very strange. I felt like I was on a cruise. Touristy. There were a lot of families. I am a teacher, I don't want to see kids on a vacation. BUT...it is SLIPPERY AS HELLLLL EVERYWHERE!!! I fell and I wasn't even drinking!!! I saw a guy fall down a flight of stairs and smash his head, BLOOD EVERYWHERE! Then our friend, fell in the lobby of our hotel building...broke her arm...she wasn't drinking either. It had just rained and the floor wasn't properly cleaned up....she had to pay for her own ride to the hospital, no one even called to see if she was okay. OBVIOUSLY this happens quite frequently. SO BEWARE. Thousands of dollars later....disgusting.

There are a lot of older people there...kind of lame. Nothing goes on at night. But we didn't care cause we are the type to get up early and drink all day. So, the pools are nice, but there are these gross wild cats that wander around. First of all, gross. Second of all I have a HUGE fear of cats. I was shooing one away one morning as I was sitting by the pool. And another woman says "Oh, don't worry, they won't hurt you." And I said "Oh, really? I just saw one of them jump on a girl while she was lying down across the way. How do you explain that?" I don't think I was liked very much at the Grand Mayan Pool....A few days the pool bar was broken and they have those poor bar runners running around like no tomorrow.
Then when we got back to the states we did a bit of research about the place. Believe me, it is a shady operation! I've seen legal documents and the works. Not a good situation. And, yes the BEACH SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! actually there is no beach, you have to walk over 15 minutes to get to a place that is actually swimmable.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends