“The comforts of home and the luxury of a resort- Safe &Perfect for families!”

The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
allentown,pa
“The comforts of home and the luxury of a resort- Safe &Perfect for families!”
Reviewed November 13, 2010

We just got back last night 11/12/10 from a week at the Grand Mayan, building 4, and had a wonderful time. We were leery after all the scary news about drug wars in Mexico but that is happening far away, at the borders. The whole playa del carmen area felt very safe, hotel has great security, safe to take cabs as they write down your room number and cab number as you exit to ensure that they know exactly who you are with when you leave, we rented a car at the hertz on site for $60 for the day, very easy driving to tulum/akumal. loved the buena vida restaurant in akumal where you can have a meal or drink on a swing, hammock, or tree house on a gorgeous beach. Prices about the same everywhere. nice is nice. We would have gone to see other things but my husband had to leave early and did not want to worry about us so we stayed on the grounds. They do a great job entertaining you with a great activities staff: my 9 year old LOVED the quality crafts- made paper flowers, pinata, first class face painting, all included. She and I took the stretch class on the beach and water aerobics each day, recommended! THe bike tour was neat and we saw all the crocos and flamingos on the property. My 13 year old son loved lounging around the Sanctuary Pool a very exclusive classy place with outdoor beds where you can nap, interesting shaped resting places, one day I found him in a lounge shaped like a teepee, another in a bananna peel.
Bring your matching, non patterned clothes for a professional family pic, session is free, pics are unique and very cool and they cost $30 each for a digital image you own and can print or download as much as you want.. a bargain!!
I am pretty frugal and found that the store is just a little more than a grocery store and to me it was not worth a 20 minute drive anywhere to buy juice, eggs, milk and an occasional deli sandwich and pizza- all tasty and saved a lot of $$ on the final bill. Bring your own coffee filters, coffee, sugar packets, sweet low, packaged foods and save even more. You can do laundry for about $8/load fyi, they provide everything for that.
Restaurants were amazing: the blue fish on the way in when you're waiting for your room yum, Frida's is the very best (mexican), and Gong, sushi, asian was delicious and very sophisticated...averaged about $70 lunch, $100 dinner for a family of four, much like at home. Del Lago was kind of yuk in that the shows were cheesy and the buffet was a lot of mediocre food or inexpensive food at a premium price $35 person/kids 1/2 price, you could easily skip it. Would have liked to have tried breakfast buffet at green break near golf course, read it was good and confused it for del lago.
Beach was beautiful but rocky (lots of reefs, bring snorkeling stuff if you have it) and water shoes. Sand beach walking distance.
Low # building is advised, especially if you are not fit to walk much and even then you will walk, but we are pretty healthy and the walk is beautiful and never more than 5-10 minutes. never took shuttle. felt badly for very elderly or overweight, they did struggle. We were concerned that we would get no privacy as a 2br was not available, but the 1bedroom would afford privacy for parents even if you had 4 kids b/c living room has 2 day beds with trundle. very private, comfortable quarters.
I used the internet to check into office each morning, but instead of paying $95 for the week, I did 24 hrs for $17 and checked in MT for $17 and WTh for $17, not bad. Skipped the sales pitch after reading all the bad reviews, but I am curious about what it takes to own the timeshare there..it's lovely.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank peoplesfamilytrips

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,138)
  • Hebrew first
Weymouth, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 11, 2010

You cannot even walk into this place without being attacked by time share vultures. I gave this place the benefit of the doubt but it was actually worse than I thought. The first morning we were sucked into the time share "seminar"...5 hours later, only after sneaking out and leaving my boyfriend and friend we were allowed to leave. THE FIRST DAY, we hadn't even looked at the place and these people were trying to get us to buy a time share. We went with a couple and the woman we were with threw a fit, made a scene and they still wouldn't let us leave...really it was horrible. Like left and right people were trying to get us to do buy something. So I guess I am a nice person and I should have just told them to shove it. Lesson learned.

So the food was great. The rooms were really nice. The workers were friendly. The pools were nice, we were at the "grand" mayan, so were in the nicer area. Yet, the people that were there were very strange. I felt like I was on a cruise. Touristy. There were a lot of families. I am a teacher, I don't want to see kids on a vacation. BUT...it is SLIPPERY AS HELLLLL EVERYWHERE!!! I fell and I wasn't even drinking!!! I saw a guy fall down a flight of stairs and smash his head, BLOOD EVERYWHERE! Then our friend, fell in the lobby of our hotel building...broke her arm...she wasn't drinking either. It had just rained and the floor wasn't properly cleaned up....she had to pay for her own ride to the hospital, no one even called to see if she was okay. OBVIOUSLY this happens quite frequently. SO BEWARE. Thousands of dollars later....disgusting.

There are a lot of older people there...kind of lame. Nothing goes on at night. But we didn't care cause we are the type to get up early and drink all day. So, the pools are nice, but there are these gross wild cats that wander around. First of all, gross. Second of all I have a HUGE fear of cats. I was shooing one away one morning as I was sitting by the pool. And another woman says "Oh, don't worry, they won't hurt you." And I said "Oh, really? I just saw one of them jump on a girl while she was lying down across the way. How do you explain that?" I don't think I was liked very much at the Grand Mayan Pool....A few days the pool bar was broken and they have those poor bar runners running around like no tomorrow.
Then when we got back to the states we did a bit of research about the place. Believe me, it is a shady operation! I've seen legal documents and the works. Not a good situation. And, yes the BEACH SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! actually there is no beach, you have to walk over 15 minutes to get to a place that is actually swimmable.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank jmccart3
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Beautiful resort, but unfortunately, polluted by ruthless timeshare sales rep's. The complimentary breakfast to "tell you about the resort" is a scam to coax you into an all-day sales flogging by timeshare sales agents. Don't go to free breakfast, and if you do go, don't take your credit card. If you do decide to buy some timeshare, you MUST read all fine print because sales rep will not tell you whole truth. We bought and read the fine print afterwards which we now regret.

Resort is nice, clean, friendly staff. Beach is rocky with coral-not good for swimming.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank HappilyMarrieWitKids
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed November 5, 2010

We had a fantastic time at this resort. We were looking for something quiet and relaxing and got exactly that. The grounds and pools were amazing, and the accommodations were even better than expected. We would definitely recommend this resort.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 2, 2010

This was my second stay at this resort with my husband. Our family owns a timeshare with this resort. We rented the two bedroom grand master suite, ideal for more than one couple who wants privacy (the second room has access to the main room, but has its own entrance).

The resort is large, so don't plan to walk out your room onto the beach. There aren't any ocean view rooms per se with the way the buildings are situated.

We spent most of our time by the pool bar. Great service. What they didn't tell us, though we heard from other visitors, is that you don't have to pay a rental fee for a palapa bed if you are ordering at least $35 in drinks/food while you are out there. Otherwise, if you don't plan on ordering drinks or food, you pay the fee. So, we had lunch and drinks on our palapa beds, but only several days into our trip.

We're biased because we really aren't into the large resort feel and we prefer something cozier, but for a large resort, it's a really nice resort with nice accommodations and the grounds are beautiful. The beach is nice, but don't expect to walk in the ocean without shoes of some sort. There's lots of exposed coral since the hurricanes years back, and the lifeguards don't recommend this barefoot.

The only problem with us is when we set up our rooms upon arrival, the desk clerk kept insisting that we have our room # as 102-1 and 102-2 as an example. So, since it's a no cash resort, everything gets charged to your room. Well, our orders were completely intermingled with our guests orders, and we spent a good deal of time sorting it out upon check out, which was really disappointing. What they normally do, when our parents go each year and take guests, is set it up with two entirely different room #'s to avoid this confusion. For those not familiar with it, you give your credit card number upon arrival, they "pre-charge" your credit card up to say $500. Once you reach that $500, they are supposed to call you to authorize another $500 charge. Well, they never called our friends to let them know, so they were thinking they didn't reach the $500 limit, but then upon checkout they ended up paying $600 or more in charges. Very disappointing. Everything gets charged to the room.

Also, if you spend time at the pool bar or elsewhere, don't count on the fact that you are receiving the proper bill. If you receive a bill with someone else's name on it and sign for those charges, you are responsible for paying those charges. Watch what you sign. When you've got 10 patrons at the pool bar and several different bartenders, don't rely on them to keep everything straight, including your name.

Overall, we were happy with our stay. There are pools closer to the beach that are more family and activity oriented, and other pools closer to the front desk that are more private, secluded and very romantic. So, it has a little to offer for just about any age, including a kiddie pool for those with small children.

The rooms are nice, contemporary, clean with a dipping pool on the balcony, and in each of our rooms were large jacuzzis. The bathrooms are equipped with a walk in marble shower, a large double sink, and a private stall with the commode.

The main room has a full kitchen, with the exception of an oven, so don't plan on baking any pizzas. We took the cab into town to Walmart and picked up groceries for the week to make some meals in our room, to save on costs. For four people, taking a cab is less costly than 4 taking a shuttle to Playa Del Carmen, and much more convenient. For two people, taking a shuttle would be more economical.

We spent our last day at Xcarat national park, and stayed for the evening show, including the outrageously overpriced dinner that wasn't very good. Don't do it. Our friends liked the show, we were disappointed, so it's just a matter of personal taste. The Wednesday (?) evening show at the resort is WAAAAAYYYY more entertaining, in our opinion. Karaoke is also fun, even if only to watch, for entertainment.

There's also a spa on site where they offer a multitude of services including massages, use of the facilities and mani/pedicures.

All in all, it's a beautiful resort with lots to offer, as long as you don't mind the large resort feel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kim_coco
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We stayed at the Grand Mayan for 7 days....BEST RESORT EVER! The grounds, rooms, and service is AMAZING! We will definitely be back! I highly recommend the tour through the resort to Chichen Itza- it's an all day tour, AND WAS GREAT! LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this resort!!!!
Oh, and Carlos (server) at Balche (pool restaurant) is AWESOME! Outstanding service! Better than 5 star restaurants in Atlanta!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2010

We stayed at The Grand Mayan from Oct 10-17, 2010. We'd never been to mexico and this trip was amazing. We loved the resort, the pools, the staff and ocean. What people say about the resort being large is true. But for a young married couple in their mid-20's we had no problem with walking around the resort. And by the end of the week it seemed like nothing to walk to the pools or restaurants.
We were never harrased about the timeshare presentation, it wasn't even mentioned, so i'm not sure if it's because we were transfer with another timeshare or if they've changed their tactics.
The pools are very large and nice, we spent most of our time in the private "Grand Mayan Guests Only" pool cause it was a bit smaller and the service was better cause they didn't have such a large area to cover.
Restaurants were good, we loved Havana Moon and spent three meals there. We didn't think the breakfast buffet at Del Lago was worth $25/person. We enjoyed a nice lunch at the restaurant by the pool, but nothing on their dinner menu interested us. We bought breakfast foods (cereal/bread) from the store and made that in our room every morning to cut down on costs. Coronas were $5, so my husband enjoyed those our whole visit.
We loved the activity staff, they were a ton of fun and added to our amazing week. They had a beach night where they tought you salsa and morengi (sp?), they had a casino night where you'd play poker or black jack with "fake money" to win resort cash. They had bingo and water arobics every day. They were quick to learn your names and where you were from and always called out when you'd walk by.
I hope this review helped, i read all the reviews leading up to my visit and i was concerned about my trip, but my trip was nothing like the others and we had an amazing time!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Moon Palace Cancun
Moon Palace Cancun
#24 of 175 in Cancun

Been to The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!