“Grand Mayan Riviera Maya”

The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Rooms nice, landscaping awesome. There are no ocean front rooms because of how buildings are situated. There are extras such as alligator or is it crocodile enclosures, flamingos. If you like swimming in the sea, water shoes are mandatory. The water has sharp rocks. There are miles of lovely pools but you must be an early bird. People get up at the crack of dawn, claim their chairs and leave their towels on them the entire day, whether they are there or not. VERY annoying. Housekeeping was pretty good, but they will not touch a dish, even if it is clean and just needs put away. There is NOT a chest of drawers for the guests using the sofa sleeper, but there is an extra closet. (plenty of room for drawers. living room full of useless tables). What drove me crazy what the low wattage fluorescent bulbs used in light fixtures. Sooo dimly lit. Mixed drinks were good but pricey. All the people that work there always say hello and have a smile. Was called at least four times for timeshare updates. Did not do it after a brutal five-hour ordeal at another property. For those who consider it for the 10% discount, the deal sweetens after a couple no's. Another visitor told me that they went for an "update" and could not escape for three hours.

4  Thank Eyed-go-there
Socialmediamanager1, Manager at The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear Eyed-go-there :

Thank you so much for commenting about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are pleased you enjoyed our beautiful landscaping and grateful for your kind words about our staff´s service, as we consider them one of our biggest assets. We are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine luxury hospitality by providing outstanding locations and service excellence.

Your comments are always welcomed. We always like to hear about our guests’ experiences since it is the only way to truly know we are doing a great job to making your stay enjoyable.

There are newer reviews for The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I took are kids who were over 18 to stayed here from March 21st to March 28th of 2014. We stayed through our Time Share and had a wonderful time. The hotel its self was awesome, keeping in mind we have stayed in the Cancun area two other times on our Honeymoon and 1st Anniversary at 5 star resorts all inclusive adults only no wristbands, nothing, so we had a pretty serious bar that was set and tried not to over think anything or say well it’s not this other place we stayed at.. Lol. But there were no disappointments for the most part for both my wife and I, the rooms looked just like the photos, stunning rooms all the way around, the grounds were kept up, everyone was very friendly and happy to help if anything was needed. The balconies were large and spacious. If I had anything negative to say at all, the beds were a little hard for my taste, I like a firm mattress but they were very firm. Next time we go and there will be a next time, I think we will bring a thin air mattress. Also the hallways in the building were really large and open so the sound carried pretty well, you could hear people walking at talking and closing doors, it was noisy at times, especially the little guy from across the hall who liked to knock on our door. Put a towel at the crack of the door and it should minimize the sound.
Now this is the part I searched through 100s of the Trip Advisor reviews to find out answers and didn’t get enough so I will detail this best I can for what I looked for and hope it helps some one. This will be in USD instead of Pesos but if you want to use cash get Pesos from an ATM as the exchange rate is best from there. The Hotel exchange rate was $11.30 Pesos to $1.00 USD. The ATM exchange rate was correct at $13.20 Pesos per $1.00 USD.
• Wi-Fi Offered in the Rooms but at a charge - $5.00 per hour or $17.00 per day or $45.00 for the week, but here’s the catch, it’s per device. So 1 phone and 1 table is $10.00 per hour and so on. We ended up spending $49.00 – it would have been cheaper for us to just do it for the week.
• Drinks for beers were $7.00 Mixed Drinks were $12.00 at all restaurant and bars – Wine corkage fee was $15.00 -- We took Nalgene water bottles with mixed drinks and Beer in them to the pools (a little bad yes, but when 10 drinks are $100.00 saving money helps – also a cooler – no glass aloud though)
• Cab Rides – use Pesos, if your cab to Cancun is $550.00 Pesos (that’s $41.67 USD) if you don’t have Pesos they charge you $55.00 USD. (do that a few times & it really will add up)
• Cab Rides back to Hotel - When you come back to the hotel ask for the price before you get in the cab. When they high ball you tell them the hotel charges and they will drop it down. (always ask before your get in the car)
• Shuttle from Air Port - The Grand Mayan offers a free shuttle from the Airport to the hotel – talk to the Concierge to set it up when you confirm your reservations – they charge for the way back $550.00 Pesos or $55.00 USD (pay in Pesos its only $41.67 USD) – cabs are cheaper
• Wal-Mart - Arriving at the Hotel, there’s a Shuttle to Playa Del Carmen from the hotel its $5.00 per person or $50.00 Pesos (remember pay with Pesos), it drops you in Playa Del Carmen a block from 5th Ave., walk to Wal-Mart or take a cab from the drop off (cab from the hotel is $25.00 or $250.00 Pesos $18.90 USD) the walk is roughly 12 blocks – we purchased alcohol, Beer (buy cans not bottles so you can take them to the pools) and food (breakfast stuff) and snacks. We spent $135 USD and im sure it saved us a ton of money. We went back one more time for additional Beer  we took a cab back to the hotel from outside the Wal-Mart, he help load everything up into the car and helped unload it. Ask for price before getting in the car. Also Wal-Mart doesn’t take USD cash, only Pesos or debit and credit cards.

Restaurants:
• We ate at Havana Moon – Tramanto – Green Break – Jade Deli – Balche’ – Frida’s (same as Balche’ just at night &a totally different menu for dinner) – Del Lago Buffet
• Havana Moon – food was Excellent – average meal was about $30.00
• Tramanto – food was Excellent, Excellent, Excellent – service too - average was about $35.00
• Green Break – food was good – average meal was about $25.00
• Balche’ for lunch – food was really good – average meal was $26.00
• Frida’s for dinner – food was excellent – average cost was 30.00
• Jade Deli – sandwiches were really good, we had it twice – Average cost was $15.00
• Del Lago – Buffet & all drinks & show was $70.00 a person – totally disorganized buffet couldn’t figure out where it started or where it ended & I asked 4 people who worked there and they couldn’t tell me either – the show was o.k. but for $70.00 a person we could have skipped it - food was just o.k.

Tours:
• Tulum & Xel-Ha tour (travel website cost 4 adults $554.00) one day - both Tulum & Xel-Ha the Bus picks you but makes several stops to different hotels and has specific times for each place and the bus driver is the Tour Guide at Tulum (both places are an All Day event) 7:30 to 5pm when the park closes then the time it takes to get back to your hotel after all the drop offs.
• We did Tulum one day and Xel-Ha the next day to break it up (my wife and I did it in one day – it was a very long day
• Tulum (4 adults and a Tour Guide we got when we got there $45.50 total, not each) tour guide was with us for 20 minutes and explained everything (great idea especially for the price) available next to the ticket counter – then you can walk around on your own the rest of the time - cab ride was $30.00 one way, total of $60.00. Total for just Tulum for 4 adults $105.50
• Xel-Ha tour – tickets for 4 adults (internet price $81.00 per adult total $324.00 plus Cab there and back $60.00 = $384.00 – includes all you can eat and drink (same options as website)
• (doing it yourself and over two days – cost $489.50) Cab Rides to both places and back and tickets to the parks – this is total (roughly) and you decide when you go and when you leave.
• Total $$ for tour through the hotel $554.00 – save $65.00 and you decide when you and leave
• Xplor Park – (Travel website & Hotel charge with transportation for 4 adults $676.00) all day fun
• Xplor Park – on our own – 4 tickets (all Day Tickets = $476.00) they had options for ½ tickets – didn’t get the price – cab ride there and back $60.00 total $536.00 saved $140.00 -

Rooms:
• Again the Rooms were outstanding and no musty smells – big shower, sunk in tub and separate toilet
• Coffee Pot (you will need Coffee and Filters) – Toaster – Blender – wine and bottle opener included
• Fridge – we fit 2 12 pack bottles of beer, food 24 egg carton and 10 water bottles in it with room to spare for butter and stuff & had ice box. we brought a collapsible cooler to filled with ice form the ice machine so we had that in the room too
• Stove – 4 burners with pots and pans spatulas and utensils, plates and everything else
• Didn’t use the TVs at all
• Maid service every day and turn down service and towels and toiletries & safes in room
• Water in the room was totally fine to drink no problems at all
• Sun comes up early, we brought binder clips to keep the blinds closed I didn’t want to be up at 5:30am when the sun came up
I wanted to write this part of the review because there were a ton of reviews on here about several different issues people had. There’s a great map on funsunmexico that shows the resort lay out, just type in The Grand Mayan, or search engine it so you know the lay out of the grounds.
• You couldn’t really swim in the ocean on shore you had to go out a ways, but you could walk down the beach some and swim. The pools made up for it a little.
• Trams ran all the time; they said every 5 minutes, normally it was about 7 - 10 minutes.
• Keep your Receipts to reconcile your bills as you get them – didn’t have issues but you never know – they have you sign signature cards when you get there and cross reference them when signed.
• If you do plan to be at the pool it’s a good idea to get your towel and put them over chairs early
• The walks weren’t too bad and the Grounds are very nicely kept up, walk different routes to see other parts of the grounds. If you do want to walk and don’t like walking in flip flops like me, I brought tennis shoes too.
• There were a lot of reviews on picking building numbers. We stayed at The Grand Mayan; the property has 5 other hotels on it, there were a lot of reviews talking about walking too much and to get builds 1, 2, or 3. I think those rooms were reserved for actual owns at the resort. But there are 6 different Hotels on the property; Mayan Place has the closest buildings to the main pool, if you’re in the Grand Mayan the building are a little further but they have 3 that are close but overlook the Green Lake. The Grand Mayan buildings 1 – 7 overlook the Lake (the green water in the pictures on the website) and building 1 is closer to the pool. We stayed in building 9 and it was a 5-7 minute walk to the main lobby and 9-11 minutes to the pool Bar and Belche’ and Havana Moon Restaurant. My wife walked it in 6 minutes; I don’t like to walk that fast on vacation.

Time Share Sales Department:
• One person when we first checking in talked to us about it for a few minutes, we told her we were going to go eat and didn’t get asked again in 7 days
I hope this helps you have a great Vacation… oh and I don’t want to forget the Bartenders at the Pool Bar they are awesome super friendly and really fun. There tips are included in the checks but don’t forget to give them extra..

60  Thank mike s

Dear mike s :

We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We truly appreciate your kind words about our staff, as they are always looking to surpass our clients’ expectations of genuine luxury hospitality by providing service excellence. It is pleasing to learn that you also enjoyed the breathtaking landscape and our food options.

Our goal is to make each one of our guests’ vacations relaxing and we look to please them by making sure they receive all the benefits they are expecting to enjoy during their vacation.

We appreciate your feedback and we truly look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

My wife and I recently visited the Grand Mayan Resort in an exchange from RCI. We stayed in building 12, overlooking the golf course. Very beautiful scenery and grounds maintenance! We decided to purchase the Grand Bliss, until viewing the Grand Luxxe, which we bought instead. This was the most beautiful resort I have had the pleasure to be a part of. Will be returning in October!!!!
We love Rosario, our sales agent!!! Thanx for the experience!!! MEN Family

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course have a wonderful view and I recommend the higher floors.
2  Thank Gregory N

Dear Gregory N :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are glad to learn you thought our resort was nice, you enjoyed our grounds and We really thank you for your kind comment about our staff, as we consider them one of our biggest assets. We are certain Rosario will gladly receive your feedback, as all our staff is always looking to meet our guests’ expectations to the fullest.

Comments like yours inspire us to continue creating ideal vacation experiences.

Reviewed April 1, 2014

A perfect honeymoon destination for certain. My husband and I were able to spend 12 days in this gorgeous paradise resort. Our room was a beautiful 5 minutes walk to the beach, spa, and a multitude of fabulous restaurants speckled throughout the resort. Every morning you'll be greeted by bird song and a warm sunrise. I felt like I was staying at a botanical garden. Hundreds of meticulous cultivated and groomed garden spaces line the paths that gently lead you from place to place. Animals including iguanas, tiny lizards, and a variety of beautiful birds make their homes in the natural spaces around the resort, so don't be surprised to see one crossing your path!

The staff is exceptionally friendly, and brought an attitude of happy service that I am grateful to bring back with me to the states. Everyone walks with their head up and smiling, it's a pleasure to say good morning to those you meet along the path.

Take advantage of the variety of activities provided for children and adults to get the most of your experience. Consult the activities booklet regularly to find exercise classes, arts and crafts, casino nights, star gazing, and much more. Most are completely free, and some offer opportunity to win drinks and meals for prizes. Morning beach zumba and stretching were some of my daily favorites.

The food was amazing, the drinks delicious and generous, (or at least reasonable) However, at 110 pesos and up, (find the happy hours where you can get doubles or 2-4-1) We were much more interested in the food. There are 7 (I think) restaurants onsite. Havana Moon sits seaside with a large menu including, woodfired pizza, fabulous fresh seafood, (shrimp tacos and the grouper-get them!) and some asian inspired noodle and rice dishes. There's live music most evenings and a dance floor.

For a classy nightcap, visit the Wine Bar, on the second floor of the Boutique. Jose is a most gracious and excellent server, and we loved our perfectly prepared and salted margaritas, served with complimentary crunchy snacks.

Do the Del Lago breakfast buffet at least once. 305 pesos buys your fill of fresh made eggs, omelets, carved ribeye, fruit, quesadillas, empanadas, pastry, cold cuts, cheese, and variety of hot vegetables, potatos, and enchilada dishes. And of course, tequila and cinnamon spiked Mexico hot chocolate. Even as a vegetarian, I found the price to be well worth the experience, (seated next to the beautiful lake :).

I could write another 1000 words on the food, but I'll let you find out more when you visit.

The setting could not have been more relaxing and we spent an hour each morning just drinking coffee and read and talking on our beautiful balcony, overlooking the garden paths and lake. A truly memorable and changing experience, I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We loved our 2nd floor suite with it's beautiful balcony.
7  Thank Natalie C

Dear Natalie C :
We really appreciate the time you have taken to share with us your detailed impression about your stay at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our food options, our facilities, the pools, grounds and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

It will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I vacationed at Grand Mayan Riviera late Feb/ early March. We are "timeshare owners" and had not been back to Riviera Maya for about 5 years. Upon entering our Grand Mayan suite we observed that the room looked identical to the last time we stayed; no upgrades and a bit rundown. We discovered at our presentation that no more Grand Mayan facilities will be built; they are wanting all owners to upgrade to The Grand Bliss or Grand Luxxe. Once enough Grand Mayan owners upgrade, a Grand Mayan bldg. will be torn down and replaced with a Grand Bliss. There will, however, be Grand Mayan suites for those who don't upgrade. We loved both of the upgrades! We ended up upgrading to a 2 bdrm. Grand Bliss - the advantage being that after 10 years ownership, we can sell and get 65% of our purchase price back. With Grand Mayan, we'd be putting in renovation costs every 5 years with nothing to show for it. The beach continues to be gorgeous but full of huge outcroppings of coral, making it very difficult to wade into the ocean without being harmed. Walk a mile down the beach toward Iberostar and you'll find beautiful beach and plenty of soft sand as you wade in. Riviera Maya has started to remove some coral but can only remove a little as it is a natural turtle habitat and can't be fully excavated. Lots of water activities and a great gym. Massages are way out of most people's price range - never will I pay $175 for a 1 hr massage! We rarely ate on resort ($18 US for a hamburger). The breakfast buffet is wonderful ($30 US pp). Make sure you attend the Mexicana Fiesta (food, booze, entertainment for $70).We shopped at Mega in Playa del Carmen for groceries (the best in our opinion) and cooked in our room a lot (bring your own spices, peanut butter, butter, soy sauce, gluten free pasta). Shuttle from the resort to and from Playa del Carmen for $5 US pp one way; cheaper than the $20 taxi if it's just the two of you. Las Camelias and Los Tacos should be visited there. Starbucks and Hagen-das is on 5th Ave. for coffee and ice-cream. Downside: no nightly buffet in del Lago and entertainment is only about 4 days/week. Cirque du Soleil comes to the resort in November 2014.

3  Thank hgb10

Dear hgb10 :

We are grateful for your taking the time to write a review about your experience while staying at The Grand Mayan. We are pleased to learn you had a wonderful vacation, that you enjoyed our food options.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our travel agent recommended the Grand Mayan to us.
I'm so glad that we took his advice. We had a 2 bedroom suite - very clean and spacious.
The resort is lovely - the lush gardens around the largest pool in Latin America. (Sigh)
Staff was great - very friendly! We took a shuttle to Playa del Carmen, and got groceries at Walmart. We had breakfast and lunch in our suite, and enjoyed some of our meals at the resort. We did the cooking class at Blue Fish (highly recommended - it was excellent)
We ate at Havana Moon - excellent brunch!!! Frida's was very good also - real Mexican tacos.
We'd definitely go back to the Grand Mayan!!! Shuttle rides were fun - we talked to many people, and got advice about different excursions in the area. Fabulous trip!!!

5  Thank Deb L

Dear Deb L :

Thank you for providing your comments about your vacation at The Grand Mayan. We are delighted to learn your trip was fun and you enjoyed our food options, our facilities, the pools, grounds and our staff’s service. Everyone works tirelessly - day and night, to make our guests’ visits the most comfortable experience ever.

It will be our pleasure to have you as a guest again.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

We just returned from the Grand Mayan in Playa del Carmen (March 22-29 2014). All in all, the trip was quite a disappointment.

RE: The Sales Pitch. We checked in on March 22nd and were greeted by a lovely and friendly woman we THOUGHT was simply going to welcome us to the resort, give us a map, and show us to our rooms. Rather, she was there to hook us into a "free breakfast" and "40-50% discounts" on tours. Of course we said yes. Each time we said no to the vacation ownership pitch (the new and improved timeshare, I guess), another person would swoop in to make sure "we understood" what we were turning down. We did this for the entire morning of our first full day there. I'm a bargain hunter and have gone through timeshare presentations in the past for the big "free tour" payoff. I was prepared to listen for 45 minutes, say no, and be on our merry way with a snorkel tour certificate. We spent an entire morning saying no and being shuffled off to what ended up being a complex maze of different people all trying to get us to change our mind. Don't fall prey to the lovely greeters when you arrive. If I had a do-over I would have just said no.

RE: HUGE Size of Resort - Being from Minnesota I can only say, the resort felt like the difference between being at a nice little boutique (not) and the Mall of America. Yes, I should have researched this resort further before reserving our week. Unbeknownst to me, we were staying at the resort version of MOA. WAY too many people, hustle and bustle, and waiting in lines for everything we wanted to do.

Re: The Hard Beds and Pillows - The beds in our unit, were absolutely rock hard - so were the pillows. Thank goodness for the Advil I brought to start each day to alleviate my back aches . I will say the rooms, minus the beds, were very comfortable. We had a two bedroom condo and were very pleased with our unit, the deck and the dipping pool. Our accommodations were the highlight of our stay.

RE: Expensive Food - The breakfast buffet was 1,200 pecos (over $100 USD for four people)

RE: The Rock Beach - I am known by my friends and family as being extremely positive and optimistic. I am not "one of those" complainers, but the experience was just so disappointing. OH and I forgot to mention the beach. Generally people on vacation choose to be at the pool or at the beach. We are beach people and were exceptionally disappointed in the beach. You simply could not swim in the water because the entire beach line was rocky and dangerous. In addition, there was an overwhelming odor of methane gas each day. That and (I kid you not) the guys using jack hammers to clear the beach of the previously referenced rocks, the beach was a huge disappointment (albeit, beautiful to look at).

We were also locked out of our in-room safe and had to call maintenance three times to open it for us; the last time as we were hurrying to leave for the airport.

I take full responsibility for not being a more discriminating consumer and not doing more research before choosing to stay at the Grand Mayan.

3  Thank TerrieWheeler
Valentin Imperial Maya
Valentin Imperial Maya
#1 of 1 in Playa del Secreto
Secrets Maroma Beach Riviera Cancun

Been to The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!