I'll start by pointing out that this resort is 30 minutes south of Cancun and 10 minutes away from Playa El Carmen. We fell in love with the place 4 years ago and have been there 4 times already. Our sons love the place as well, and look forward to go back again.
We already own a couple of timeshares, so the first thing we asked the receptionist was to warn all sales people not to call us or even try to contact us. We did get a couple of early calls (800 a.m.! ) twice and politely asked the caller not to call at all. Simple. We were never bothered again.
So, focusing on the hotel: there is a lot of walking, which we absolutely enjoy - because the paths are lush with vegetation, flowers, exotic birds and even crocodiles swimming in a pond. Of course, if you don't like walking you can always take the golf cart that goes around the complex every 15 minutes or so.
There are many pools scattered all over, in different locations to suit everyone's choice, including a bar in the largest one. Waiters come and go all the time, eager to take your order and they also have Happy Hours offering two drinks for the price of one. The waiters are very polite and friendly, and the food is simply delicious. The beach is not very user friendly, it's loaded with rocks, but just sitting by the sand next to the ocean is very relaxing.
We usually take the full apartment with 2 bedrooms, and have always found the beds to be very comfortable. The place is always clean, the kitchen is very useful and perhaps the only thing is that you need to wash the dishes yourself - there is no dishwasher. Since we never take the all inclusive plans, we are free to either have breakfast at the apartment, or at any restaurant at the hotel that offers breakfast. We have also gone early to Playa El Carmen or Puerto Morelos to have "typical breakfasts" at the low-end local eateries. It's really worth it.
The restaurants at the Grand Mayan are a bit pricey, but the attention and the food are quite good. They have shows every night, and you can also dance between shows. The best part is after dinner: just walking around the hotel under the starry skies is breathtaking!
We always rent a vehicle, in order to explore around. We usually go to Walmart at Playa El Carmen to stock up on food and drinks early on. Exploring the famous Calle 5 is quite interesting. You will find all kinds of restaurants and shops, and of course, many street vendors offering typical crafts and arts. Parking your car near Calle 5 is a bit tricky, but if you arrive before 6:00 p.m. you might find a spot. Be prepared when you walk, you will be approached by all kinds of vendors, some quite aggressive. We also recommend visiting a cozy little town called Puerto Morelos - especially Los Pelicanos restaurant, around dusk time.
I have to say that initially we were dragged to one of the "presentations" and had a hard time saying No 'till the end. If you stand your ground politely but firmly, the vendors that approach you will generally get the message. Make sure you let them know from the start.
We plan to return later this year, last year we went twice. We simply love the Grand Mayan.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- I am offering suites at The Vidanta Grand Mayan Riviera Maya resort, located on the Yucatan Peninsula. This resort has everything you could ever need to experience true happiness: JOYA, a resident Cirque du Soleil show; five luxury resort hotels; world-class restaurants; spectacular pools; shopping boutiques; a Jack Nicklaus golf course; indulgent spas and the most attentive staff in Mexico. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd so you can book your The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Grand Mayan Riviera Maya
- Wyndham Playa Del Carmen
- Playa Del Carmen Wyndham
- Grand Mayan Cancun
- Grand Mayan Playa Del Carmen
- The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya Playa Paraiso, Mexico